Home Forum News Cookbook F1 Predictions FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: Rally Ads Racing24 SpotterGuides Downforce Radio MotorsportAds MotorsTV (Sky 447) » 22-12 18:55 : SUPERKART USA  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters > A1GP

Old 25 Oct 2009, 10:54   #136
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Hubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Roberts View Post

I mean can you actually go and relax on the beach during race breaks back at Silverstone? Hehe
There's always the gravel traps........
Old 26 Oct 2009, 00:06   #137
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony View Post
With the declining drawing power of Champ Car in it's later years, and the very ordinary show put on by the IRL the V8s have become the dominant drawcard...
The IRL show may not have been brilliant last year, but let's not forget that it was a non-championship race for a new series... it was never going to lead to fireworks...

Having said that, a reunified American open wheel series, if given a year or two, still represents the best opportunity for the Gold Coast race to achieve what it always intended...

The dismissal of the series for the good of the V8Supercar calendar was extremely short-sighted.

I fail to see a single period between early April and late September (the IRL season) that presents a compelling reason to knock back the IRL - with the possible exception of five weeks of school holidays.

As for weather, well the current slot hasn't exactly been free of monsoon... it can happen at any time on the Gold Coast...
Old 26 Oct 2009, 00:39   #138
Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTourer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mac, the date problem was more than an issue with the Supercar calendar - here is a quote from Judy Spence at the time (the whole article is linked in post 4 of this thread):
Queensland Sports Minister Judy Spence said the government had opposed moves by the Indy Racing League to move the event from October to March.

"They have an expanded series of events and our Indy clashes with the early part of the American Football season," she said.

"Moving our race to March as they had requested was not an option due to the clash with the F1 Grand Prix in Melbourne and the Clipsal V8 race in Adelaide.

"In addition a March race would have involved track construction right in the middle of January school holidays and we would not tolerate Gold Coast residents being inconvenienced in that way."

Having said all that though - I still think that a suitable international series is a good part of the event and it would be great to see something happen along those lines.
Old 27 Oct 2009, 01:18   #139
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Roberts View Post
Just chuck my experience today in.

Went to the V8s today (saturday) and it was my first experieance of the V8s or Surfers as a race track. Overall I was blown away!!! Atmosphere was amazing, the V8s themselves were awesome and overall the day was great.

Have to say though I don't think I've ever seen so much beer, drunk people or women dancing in nothing but thongs (both ozzie and uk versions). Strange place
Glad you enjoyed yourself mate...there was quite a buzz off-track as well...I think I spotted you once...with the handkerchief knotted on all corners on your head, long pants rolled up and those sandels and socks
Old 27 Oct 2009, 06:03   #140
Andy Roberts
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Andy Roberts should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4 View Post
Glad you enjoyed yourself mate...there was quite a buzz off-track as well...I think I spotted you once...with the handkerchief knotted on all corners on your head, long pants rolled up and those sandels and socks
Easy I'm only 29!

And besides, the handkerchief was in a bandana
Old 19 Dec 2009, 16:26   #141
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Interestingly this week's Autosport says of the 2010 FIA GT1 World Championship calendar:

Quote:
Provision has been left on the calendar for an 11th round to be added. This would be at Surfers Paradise.
Not the replacement for Champ Car/IRL that I'd hope for, but if the IRL aren't interested and A1GP is dead, the only other hope as far as international single seaters go would be Superleague Formula (as was rumoured), but I struggle to see it making sense for them.
Old 19 Dec 2009, 17:32   #142
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FIA GT sounds good.
Old 10 Jan 2010, 10:57   #143
Parramatta_Power
Rookie

Australia
You Know, You Know...
Parramatta_Power should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
FIA GT sounds good.
It beats the A1 GP but the Gold Coast Indy felt understandably different without any Open-Wheel category to speak of. None-the-less, the extended V8 round was interesting to watch. Better than an almost empty schedule.