Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Jul 2011, 06:47 (Ref:2922677)   #176
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Wouldn't a straight 6 be a better option, wouldn't you get less vibration?
Old 6 Jul 2011, 10:03 (Ref:2922736)   #177
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Yes you would, but the regulations state that it must be a V6. Technically, a V6 can start from a 1 degree angle and go all the way around to 180 degrees. VW have road car V6 engines at 10 and 15 degree angles. That engine configuration is used because it is very nearly as smooth as a straight 6, but is much shorter. However, it is not as short as a V6 (see diagram above), which normally have around 60 or 120 degree V angles. Honda's last turbo V6 F1 engine had an 80 degree V angle.

Engines will sound good, and that's mainly down to the use of a single turbo which creates a single exhaust outlet.

The article also confirms that the pit lane will be 'electric power only'.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/92873

Last edited by Marbot; 6 Jul 2011 at 10:09.
Old 6 Jul 2011, 11:10 (Ref:2922773)   #178
TugaF1
Rookie

TugaF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Many of us are wondering if the sound of the new engines will be up to challenge and will keep us all listening to the burst of power...well according to some of the experts of F1, they should keep their dazzling sound...

check the news here @autosport
Old 6 Jul 2011, 11:16 (Ref:2922777)   #179
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TugaF1 View Post
Many of us are wondering if the sound of the new engines will be up to challenge and will keep us all listening to the burst of power...well according to some of the experts of F1, they should keep their dazzling sound...

check the news here @autosport
Yeah. Posted that about an hour ago.
Old 6 Jul 2011, 11:32 (Ref:2922790)   #180
Crazy_Pigal
Rookie

United Kingdom
West Sussex
Crazy_Pigal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just read the article in Autosport, interesting what Bob White is saying about the fuel flow limit:

"The rules look like they are heading towards a rev limit of 15,000rpm, and the fuel flow limit is intended to drive the operating speed of these engines up towards the upper end of that range, rather than the lower,"

If you have a blanket fuel flow limit the lower revving high boost engine will always produce more power, lower friction higher efficiency etc.

However if they limit the fuel per cylinder per rev then the faster they rev the engine they can use more fuel & produce more power, so the engine can now use the full rev range, it still has to be tuned to maximun efficiency at that speed in order to maximise power.

If this is how the regs end up looking then I like it.... sure it'll be some time before any of us actually get to see the details, so let the speculation run.

Regarding Vee angle, absolutely sure it will be fixed, guessing at 90°, I'd prefer 120°, as lower always looks better.
Old 6 Jul 2011, 12:10 (Ref:2922809)   #181
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Unlike naturally aspirated engines, turbo engines don't rely on rpms for power gain, just turbo boost. An example is Ford Cosworths GBA 1.5 litre V6 turbo F1 engine, which delivered over 1000 bhp at just 12,000 rpm. But if you have a fuel limit, then you have to rely more heavily on your engines ability to make power at higher rpms, just like a naturally aspirated engine does.

The Cosworth GBA engine had a V angle of 120 degrees, whereas Honda's RA engine had a V angle of 80 degrees. If there is just a single turbo, then I'm guessing this is going atop of the engine (like the Audi V6 turbo in the R18). But more important aerodynamic requirements (undercut sidepods) may require something entirely different.

Ford Cosworth GBA:

http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_artic...-6-engine.aspx

It seems a shame that Cosworth are looking very unlikely to be building another one.
Old 6 Jul 2011, 14:02 (Ref:2922859)   #182
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like the idea more and more. Still single configuration is too bad, multiple angles and any cylinder count should go with the 1.6liter turbo...
Old 6 Jul 2011, 14:19 (Ref:2922866)   #183
Ultimo
Veteran

Ultimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridUltimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
A straight 6 would provide more problems than a V6. The I6 would not be able to be stressed, and is long and tall, which would require more engineering compromises.

A V6 means that the engine can be stressed, and potentially have the turbo tucked in the bank. It is a more compact arrangement.
Old 6 Jul 2011, 14:29 (Ref:2922873)   #184
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Indeed. A 'straight' engine would need a space frame to mount it rigidly enough to the chassis. Something that would add weight unnecessarily. A straight 6 would probably be way too long, anyway.
Old 6 Jul 2011, 15:42 (Ref:2922903)   #185
Ultimo
Veteran

Ultimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridUltimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Indeed. A 'straight' engine would need a space frame to mount it rigidly enough to the chassis. Something that would add weight unnecessarily. A straight 6 would probably be way too long, anyway.
If anyone in the F1 forum reads the sportscar racing side of things over yonder, you will see what people claim are the pitfalls of a straight 6.

In fact, the conclusion that was reached was that I6 engines were rarely used in racing - they have certainly not been a popular choice recently.
Old 6 Jul 2011, 20:48 (Ref:2923045)   #186
Crazy_Pigal
Rookie

United Kingdom
West Sussex
Crazy_Pigal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I happened across a really interesting engine when I worked in the engine test cells at Lotus, practically hidden in what was called a museum (but was really just a corridor leading to a store room!).
It was a 1500cc V6, I'd guess at 60° Vee angle, the bit that made it unusual was the supercharger in the Vee, basically it looked just like a mini jet engine, with a multi-stage axial compressor almost as long as the engine, looked fantastic.
Unfortunately I can't remember if there were any turbos too.
I seem to remember this was built & tested for Toyota, when Lotus was heavily involved with then in the mid '80s, but became a victim to the banning of turbos. A real shame, looked like it had great potential.

This is the sort of innovation that the new regulations could encourage if they're written inventively. Why not have an axial compressor on a turbo? particularly if it's electrically assisted then the inertia of such a device could be overcome & any lag eliminated.

Regarding the torque curves of the future turbo engines, basically using the fuel flow limit the FIA can shape the curve to fit anything they want, by specifying different fuel flow limits at different speeds, it took me a while to get my head round this but it will completely change how the engines are tuned, they'll get the best performance by running the engine lean at full load, should make thermal management a challenge!
Old 7 Jul 2011, 10:15 (Ref:2923210)   #187
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Pigal View Post
I happened across a really interesting engine when I worked in the engine test cells at Lotus, practically hidden in what was called a museum (but was really just a corridor leading to a store room!).
It was a 1500cc V6, I'd guess at 60° Vee angle, the bit that made it unusual was the supercharger in the Vee, basically it looked just like a mini jet engine, with a multi-stage axial compressor almost as long as the engine, looked fantastic.
Unfortunately I can't remember if there were any turbos too.
I seem to remember this was built & tested for Toyota, when Lotus was heavily involved with then in the mid '80s, but became a victim to the banning of turbos. A real shame, looked like it had great potential.

This is the sort of innovation that the new regulations could encourage if they're written inventively. Why not have an axial compressor on a turbo? particularly if it's electrically assisted then the inertia of such a device could be overcome & any lag eliminated.

Regarding the torque curves of the future turbo engines, basically using the fuel flow limit the FIA can shape the curve to fit anything they want, by specifying different fuel flow limits at different speeds, it took me a while to get my head round this but it will completely change how the engines are tuned, they'll get the best performance by running the engine lean at full load, should make thermal management a challenge!
Does sounds very interesting.

// Off topic a bit

It's a constant source of disappointment to me that the engine regs are so tight. The fuel flow thing is good, but I'd say - that's the fuel flow; Make what you want. It's quite possible that this would produce some really radical motive power devices. Might be expensive, but may have real ramifications for road car propulsion, which the current system kills.

I can't decide whether I'd want a conventional constant velocity engine driving a generator, driving electric motors to the wheels (with an ultra capacitor for Kers type functionality), or a rotary engine do the same, or go for a radical new engine design full stop, or a gas turbine etc.

Wouldn't sound the same, but then, I'm in the camp of as long as the racing is good, the engine noise is fairly irrelevant.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 7 Jul 2011, 11:07 (Ref:2923232)   #188
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post

It's a constant source of disappointment to me that the engine regs are so tight. The fuel flow thing is good, but I'd say - that's the fuel flow; Make what you want. It's quite possible that this would produce some really radical motive power devices. Might be expensive, but may have real ramifications for road car propulsion, which the current system kills.
Unfortunately it's the expense that keeps manufacturers away. Most just want to get their name on TV to the widest audience for the least amount of outlay possible. VW didn't want to bother, even when the rules were changed to suit them.

Also, the chances are that after a first year of 'variety', it will become obvious and necessary to the teams building their chassis for the following season, to know which engine they should choose to fit it. Chances are that 'variety' will turn to 'blandness' in a very short time.

These days it is also much easier to come up with the best solution by just spending a few hours on a laptop with the appropriate software. So the chances of having a wide variety of engines in F1 will be slimmed down to probably just one, just a few hours after the regulations have been drawn up. For example: The choice of allowing up to six cylinders in whatever configuration you like, would probably have resulted in all of the engine manufacturers choosing the V6 route anyway. Bearing in mind that what the chassis designer wants from an aerodynamic point of view, will be far more important than what the engine manufacturer may consider to be the best design from their point of view. Aero is King.
Old 7 Jul 2011, 11:40 (Ref:2923249)   #189
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Unlike naturally aspirated engines, turbo engines don't rely on rpms for power gain, just turbo boost.
BHP is a function of torque multiplied by RPM, so the above is not strictly true as any engine - turbo or NA - will make more power at a higher engine speed for a given torque.
Old 7 Jul 2011, 12:06 (Ref:2923263)   #190
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
BHP is a function of torque multiplied by RPM, so the above is not strictly true as any engine - turbo or NA - will make more power at a higher engine speed for a given torque.
Indeed. Should have put: "don't rely entirely on rpm".
Old 8 Jul 2011, 00:16 (Ref:2923502)   #191
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Wonder if this will entice manufacturers to enter F1 again? Toyota BMW Honda VW perhaps? Will these new engines come with new chassis/aero rules, or is this yet to be determined?
Old 8 Jul 2011, 02:25 (Ref:2923512)   #192
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
Higher pressure, more torque, more horsepower at same revs!
Old 8 Jul 2011, 08:24 (Ref:2923564)   #193
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Higher pressure, more torque, more horsepower at same revs!
That is simply the corollary of what I previously said.
Old 10 Jul 2011, 08:19 (Ref:2924440)   #194
Bonanza
Racer

United Kingdom
behind you
Bonanza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Wonder if this will entice manufacturers to enter F1 again? Toyota BMW Honda VW perhaps? Will these new engines come with new chassis/aero rules, or is this yet to be determined?
BMW-extremely unlikely
VW-quite possible
Toyota-only left recently so I doubt it
Honda-They've been an integral engine supplier for years and they belong in F1, so possibly, but don't expect anything.

and there is PURE ofcourse, goodness knows what they're going to do...

That's how I see things.
Old 10 Jul 2011, 09:57 (Ref:2924455)   #195
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
BMW-extremely unlikely
VW-quite possible
Toyota-only left recently so I doubt it
Honda-They've been an integral engine supplier for years and they belong in F1, so possibly, but don't expect anything.

and there is PURE ofcourse, goodness knows what they're going to do...

That's how I see things.
VW pulled out, even though the regulations had been taylor made for them.

The Japanese companies, unfortunately have more pressing matters to attend to right now. So their participation in F1 could be some way off, if at all.

BMW are doing lots of other things at the moment, like entering DTM. Which is the sort of thing they'll be good at.

PURE may be the only other engine maker to come in, and even then, that may be only to take the place of Cosworth.
Old 10 Jul 2011, 10:14 (Ref:2924463)   #196
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What about the old Hyundai to F1 rumours?
Old 10 Jul 2011, 10:30 (Ref:2924471)   #197
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster View Post
What about the old Hyundai to F1 rumours?
They are exactly that. Old rumours.
Old 10 Jul 2011, 18:15 (Ref:2924675)   #198
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
It would seem that Cosworth won't be around for the new engine, as Williams, their prime customer, is now with Renault and the Virgin deal with McLaren could lead to either Mercedes lumps, or maybe even McLaren's own unit by then?

That would leave just HRT, and god only knows what they'll be doing by 2014.

Surely Cosworth won't get enough 'benefit' from supplying one team, unless Force India pr STR needs to change?
Old 10 Jul 2011, 18:52 (Ref:2924687)   #199
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I assume that he teams are going to allow the drivers to control the boost levels? Back to the old days of the turbo era? When drivers could pass one another using the turbo turned up, but have to pay a penalty in fuel consumption. Had to be used wisely.
Old 10 Jul 2011, 19:41 (Ref:2924704)   #200
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
It would seem that Cosworth won't be around for the new engine,
No. Williams tried to get a car manufacturer to badge the new engine, but that didn't happen soon enough.

Williams chairman, Adam Parr:

"This deal will make a number of fundamental differences. First of all it is a world championship winning engine, and we are in a world where a tenth matters. Secondly, it is a partnership between us and an independent engine maker as well as a car maker, and that is very important.

"We did explore that with Cosworth – could we bring a car maker into the partnership? Unfortunately we were not able to do that. From that minute onwards, it is Cosworth who said that we cannot develop an engine for 2013, and I can understand that because it is a huge investment."