Home Forum News Cookbook F1 Predictions FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising IRC Chat  
Site Partners: Rally Ads Racing24 SpotterGuides Downforce Radio MotorsportAds MotorsTV (Sky 447) » 03-09 19:25 : SPECIAL STAGE EXTRA EPISODE 8  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Notices

Old 30 Apr 2012, 12:49   #16
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebella will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebella will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebella will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebella will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebella will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebella will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebella will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebella will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebella will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebella will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtype38 View Post
That's interesting Bella. Guess it's not such an original idea... although mine's an open car so whatever I use will probably have to be mounted externally, which may make dealing with the light a little easier. The shot below could even be done when lining up for the starting grid, which might be more stable. Problem with my little Olympus is it doesn't have a remote shutter.

Alternatively something with manual light and focus control might work better. Then it could be set up for specific shots before going on track.
manual settings are ok, but you'd literally need to go to the exact point you'd want to take the photo, where the sun is at the same angle and there are the same number of clouds to get the right light meter readings and set it up accordingly. aperture and shutter priority modes would go some way to compensating for that but where you specify the aperture you'd run the risk of there not being an appropriate shutter speed to give the right amount of blur. and where you specify the shutter speed you may end up with the wrong bit in focus.

compacts are a bit hit and miss anyway - for some types of photo (the slow shutter speed timer shots for example) my old sony was much better. but for others, an iphone is better, and for even more, the canon i currently use is absolutely brilliant. it's really very difficult to pick one that has the compramises in the right place for the type of photos you want it to take.
Old 30 Apr 2012, 20:54   #17
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
I suppose I could start by mounting my own little point and press on top of my dashboard and giving the button a prod occasionally.
Old 1 May 2012, 00:57   #18
grantp
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was thinking helmet mic for voice recognition. It wouldn't really need a word as such, just a recognisable sound. Better than having to find a spare hand/finger and hit a button. That said you could probably find somewhere to fit an easy hit switch of some sort that would do the job.

It may be better to think in terms of a helmet mounted camera than a fixed car mount. At least that way you could have some control over the composition. However I think that would probably be quite a challenge on the approval front unless it was a small video style 'bullet' cam device.

Have you considered buying a Morgan 3 wheeler and carrying a passenger to take the shots?

Old 1 May 2012, 12:44   #19
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Or a side-car outfit!
Old 1 May 2012, 13:08   #20
grantp
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Or a side-car outfit!
If you can find a volunteer clingon with 4 arms.
Old 1 May 2012, 17:02   #21
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
No problemmo

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Klingon.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	36785
Old 11 May 2012, 13:12   #22
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
You might want to look at this from one of the 360 threads
Old 13 May 2012, 07:27   #23
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
That's an improvement over mine. I don't know if I would get similar if I upped the sampling rate on my own camera to maximum - which is about twice the quality I'm using now. Only don't because my 4GB compact flash card can't take the data fast enough. I could buy a new card I guess, but last time I looked a fast enough one with big enough capacity was quite expensive. Too expensive just for a "lets see".

Oh, and I suspect he has quite soft suspension compared to mine ;-)

Edit.... just looked and prices have come down somewhat since I paid about £35 for a 4Gb 45X card!!

Last edited by dtype38; 13 May 2012 at 07:30. Reason: Updated info
Old 13 May 2012, 09:23   #24
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER has a real shot at the podium!GORDON STREETER has a real shot at the podium!GORDON STREETER has a real shot at the podium!GORDON STREETER has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Any chance you could post an example of a still taken from a vid please?

Unfortunately I haven't any "on board" stills taken from a vid from my best camera (Panasonic HDC TM700) as I only use an old banger Sony for that purpose.
However the attached is from a wedding that I filmed last year with the above camera only using the HG 920 setting rather than the HD 1080 60p as I was taking the complete wedding from start to finish and would have used up too much memory for the 2X SD hc 8gb cards that I was using at the time.
Obviously this isn't taken from a car at race speed with rock hard suspension
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M1440001.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	845.8 KB
ID:	37029

Last edited by GORDON STREETER; 13 May 2012 at 09:29.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 13 May 2012, 10:25   #25
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER has a real shot at the podium!GORDON STREETER has a real shot at the podium!GORDON STREETER has a real shot at the podium!GORDON STREETER has a real shot at the podium!
Also I have a fair number of cars in for service/repairs that have the front/rear tiny vid cameras that mount on the screens, I assume they are for possible insurance claims etc and switch themselves on when you start the car, such as the Prestigio Roadrunner In Car Video Recorder (no thrashing on a road test then)
The quality seems pretty good on some of them (as shown on YouTube) but I don't know how good the stills would be ? but are cheap enough.

Last edited by GORDON STREETER; 13 May 2012 at 10:33.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 15 May 2012, 16:20   #26
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I've just borrowed one of these of a friend with a view to buying it from him if It's any good and found out that It'll take stills as well as video. It is quite a wide angle lens however but I'll post some video up as soon as I try it out.
Old 15 May 2012, 16:31   #27
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
Can you have a go taking some stills as well please?

PS. I see it only has 2.5 hrs battery life, so if you're not plugging it into the car - don't forget to switch it off between track sessions.
Old 15 May 2012, 17:11   #28
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
PS. I see it only has 2.5 hrs battery life, so if you're not plugging it into the car - don't forget to switch it off between track sessions.
2.5 hours is a long time for this sort of camera, you'd never get that from a camcorder (well I never have) and my cheap £2 mini DV only lasts 50 or 60 minutes. There is also a ciggy lighter plug plus a spare battery so that's not a major concern.
Old 15 May 2012, 18:53   #29
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
dtype,
It's not been mentioned, but many cameras, inc. the "Hero" lauded above, offer a 'time lapse', still picture facility. They will take a picture every X seconds or minutes.
Every one will be a lottery if you are driving, but who cares? It's digital! And maybe better than taking your hands off the wheel to press the shutter button.
Try this shopping Google search for "time lapse camera".
http://www.google.co.uk/#q=time+laps...w=1280&bih=752
John
Old 17 May 2012, 20:59   #30
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
I still haven't found out how good a still photo can be taken from one of these http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0LyU...eature=related but the video quality is pretty good for the price, I've seen them on sale for £60 so they may well be worth a try and see what is on offer next year.
The thing is all this stuff is getting better and cheaper day by day and the quality at the cheaper end is as good as some of the top of the range ones not so long ago.