Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 12 Jan 2013, 13:10 (Ref:3188176)   #751
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Some valid points made in counter to mine and believe me, I "get" that the cars need to look good. My point though is that the cars looking good just is not going to be enough to cut it here.

Many of the responses that I see are along the lines of "IndyCar should do this like NASCAR" or "IndyCar should do that like F1." Then the chorus begins chiming in about "costs."

The best point made here so far is to question why the focus is not very strong on revenues.

This keeps bringing me back to my question: "Why does the series exist?" What is the competitive purpose here? We here the chant about "costs" and all that is really doing is preserving the status quo for poor, struggling owners like Ganassi and Penske.

Here is something the think about: In the past, part of the equation that made a series great/popular was the owners but they were attracted TO the series for competitive reasons.

Here we have a model where they are trying to make the series great/popular FOR the owners.

Maybe Roger and Floyd can buy/build a track and go race each other because really, that seems to be what it has come down to.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 12 Jan 2013, 18:50 (Ref:3188263)   #752
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Certainly mimicking NASCAR or F1 is the wrong medicine for the wrong problem. Both of those series are in radically different commercial places; Indycar is in limbo and needs solutions to pull it out of that limbo. Making the cars look strong and racey will claw some of that back. I think under temperate leadership (they don't even have that) they could claw some of the exposure to the level that the ALMS has been receiving but to go beyond that? No. The NASCAR collossus blocks the way for the indefinite future.
Old 12 Jan 2013, 21:40 (Ref:3188318)   #753
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Only a small part of the bigger picture as discussed above however in terms of the cars being racey - this was definitely delivered in 2012 and this should continue on 2013
Old 12 Jan 2013, 21:47 (Ref:3188319)   #754
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
No one has yet been able to answer the questions I posed.

Why does this series exist?
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 12 Jan 2013, 22:28 (Ref:3188332)   #755
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC View Post

To offer a top of the ladder open wheeler series in North America, to offer a multi-discipline series that requires talent on ovals, on road courses, and on street courses.

How does it exist? At the behest of its teamowners, sponsors, series owners, patrons & benefactors. Like most other series I should think.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 13 Jan 2013, 19:07 (Ref:3188626)   #756
IndyDonut
Racer

United States
New York City
IndyDonut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
To offer a top of the ladder open wheeler series in North America, to offer a multi-discipline series that requires talent on ovals, on road courses, and on street courses.

How does it exist? At the behest of its teamowners, sponsors, series owners, patrons & benefactors. Like most other series I should think.
They're really taking the road courses out of the equation now with only three of those left. If this series makes it to 2014 I doubt it'll be anything but ovals and street courses.

And the one purpose of this series, as far as I can tell, is to run the Indy 500 and spend the rest of the year keeping Roger Penske and Chip Ganassi happy.
Old 13 Jan 2013, 19:25 (Ref:3188636)   #757
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC View Post

Because people like to race each other.
Old 13 Jan 2013, 22:40 (Ref:3188709)   #758
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDonut View Post
If this series makes it to 2014 I doubt it'll be anything but ovals and street courses.
Disagree
Old 13 Jan 2013, 23:42 (Ref:3188724)   #759
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Donut, I addressed this in the 2013 schedule thread. Temporary circuit races (streets, airports, parklands, etc) equaled or outnumbered road course races in CART/ChampCar from 1984 onward, but permanent road courses did NOT disappear. There were six permanent road courses on the 2007 Champ Car calendar: Portland, Mont Tremblant, Road America, Zolder, Assen, and Mexico City.
Old 14 Jan 2013, 00:28 (Ref:3188735)   #760
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Donut, I addressed this in the 2013 schedule thread. Temporary circuit races (streets, airports, parklands, etc) equaled or outnumbered road course races in CART/ChampCar from 1984 onward, but permanent road courses did NOT disappear. There were six permanent road courses on the 2007 Champ Car calendar: Portland, Mont Tremblant, Road America, Zolder, Assen, and Mexico City.
If you look at your typical CART season in the '90s, it consisted of only four permanent road courses, Portland, Mid-Ohio, Road America and Laguna Seca.
Old 14 Jan 2013, 02:42 (Ref:3188757)   #761
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post

Good answer, but it sounds a bit like something out of the PR dept at IndyCar. I still wonder where the demand for such a series originates. Clearly it is not among the fans, as they do not go to the races or watch on TV. Sponsors, for the most part have been difficult to attract and retain (See: Izod).

What you are posting here is the reasoning behind having such a series.

Who is demanding it? It seems to me that this is a series being offered in a vacuum of fan and sponsor interest.
Old 14 Jan 2013, 03:05 (Ref:3188760)   #762
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not gonna lie, I've all but given up on IndyCar. Regardless of what happened to Bernard, I just can't embrace the stale formula. Boring cars, boring drivers, boring schedule. I might catch Pocono and the 500 for the novelty(was hoping to be there, but my career is on hold) but it just holds no gravitas. It MEANS nothing. I guess that's what happens when you make a drivers formula based on a set of drivers that are jacks instead of masters.
Old 14 Jan 2013, 04:18 (Ref:3188779)   #763
IndyDonut
Racer

United States
New York City
IndyDonut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
That was 2007, this is now. I want street courses and ovals and road courses, but IndyCar's status might make it tough to stay at road courses.
Old 18 Jan 2013, 15:52 (Ref:3191129)   #764
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
After nine months of discussions and negotiations between INDYCAR, its teams and chassis maker Dallara regarding spare parts prices, the chapter has finally been closed with the Italian constructor agreeing to re-write portions of its supply contract.

Team owners were informed by interim IndyCar CEO Jeff Belskus about the tentative agreement during a meeting on December 6th, with a 14-percent reduction in parts prices and a 15-month freeze on that rate serving as the terms the series had arrived at with Dallara.

The formalization of those terms was made known to the teams late Wednesday night in a technical bulletin that was distributed by Dallara.

Dennis Reinbold, co-owner of the Panther DRR IndyCar team and the owners' appointed representative on the spare parts negotiations, told SPEED.com that while the deal come to a conclusion as expected, he's glad to see the contentious topic put to rest.

"From that [December 6th] meeting we as a group did express our displeasure at how long it took to come to a resolution, and I think Jeff [Belskus] thought, 'OK, it's time to do something, let's move on,'" he noted.

"Did we have a vote? No, but I thought [from the meeting] it was kind of settled. Getting something done so we can move on? I'm in favor of that. We've been hashing this thing around for quite a while."

Some owners I spoke with weren't overly pleased by the lack of a formal proposal to (and agreement by) their group, or the fact that Dallara, rather than the series, acted as the defacto messenger for this rather important piece of news.

But as Reinbold suggests, despite some owners being less than pleased with how the final decisions were made, or that the estimated $50,000 to $60,000 in annual savings the cost reduction is a smaller sum than they desired, achieving closure on this hotly debated topic is in the best interest of all involved.

"Personally, I'm happy to move on," he confirmed. "We have bigger things we need to focus our attention on. It was never going to be perfect, but it's better than no decision like we had all last year. The in-fighting is hopefully now a thing of the past.

"We sat down and had a very civil meeting with the series in December and I think that's great. That's what we need."
Old 5 Feb 2013, 00:18 (Ref:3199352)   #765
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Aero kits remain a possibility for 2014, as Speed's Marshall Pruett reports. From the article:

Quote:
Belskus also acknowledged the interest fans have expressed in seeing Indy cars with distinguishing bodywork, but says he isn’t clear what percentage are behind the concept.

“There’s some amount of fan interest there,” he said. “Our core fans are focused on them and interested in them. When you get beyond that, to our casual fans, I don’t think it’s that clear in terms of the importance of them.”

The incredibly long decision-making process regarding aero kits for 2014 has left Chevy and Honda, the two main proponents (and potential manufacturers of) the custom bodywork, rather frustrated.
It's amazing that IndyCar is even stupider than NASCAR on this issue. NASCAR has learned its lesson yet somehow IndyCar is still struggling to grasp the concept that making cars with different engines look different is a good thing for the sport. And frustrating your two engine manufacturers is never a good idea. Morons.
Old 5 Feb 2013, 05:54 (Ref:3199432)   #766
D.R.T.
Veteran

Belskus seems to want to over complicate the matter.

The only thing holding up the aero kits was cost or percieved cost by the teams.

Lets not get into a discussion over whether Indycar's casual fan (is he serious) want aero kits
Old 5 Feb 2013, 14:07 (Ref:3199588)   #767
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Is Belskus serious about IndyCar's 'casual fans'? He's clearly out of touch. You certainly had casual fans in the CART era, who were familiar with names like Andretti, Fittipaldi, Mansell, Montoya, Tracy, Zanardi etc. but now if I talk to someone who is a casual motorsports fan and I mention IndyCar, the first and only thing that comes to mind is the 500.
Old 5 Feb 2013, 22:45 (Ref:3199875)   #768
D.R.T.
Veteran

It seems he making excuses. Lets hope he isnt pandering to car owners
Old 5 Feb 2013, 23:04 (Ref:3199887)   #769
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
It seems he making excuses. Lets hope he isnt pandering to car owners
I agree the fans want them. If the manufacturers want them and see them adding marketing value to their presence in the series - keep them happy! No one wants to see a spec engine situation again.
Old 6 Feb 2013, 00:44 (Ref:3199940)   #770
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
I agree the fans want them. If the manufacturers want them and see them adding marketing value to their presence in the series - keep them happy! No one wants to see a spec engine situation again.
If the series is going to gain interest and survive, it's got to get out of the spec series rut. Indy Car was never about spec racing. Back in the day F5000 had more variety.
Old 6 Feb 2013, 01:01 (Ref:3199946)   #771
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sadly it seems everything from to open wheel (even F1 to a small extent), to sportscars and touring cars are all become more spec every year. That's why I was lamenting the departure of Randy Bernard, he realized the cars needed to be different and sexy.
Old 6 Feb 2013, 01:09 (Ref:3199948)   #772
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
Sadly it seems everything from to open wheel (even F1 to a small extent), to sportscars and touring cars are all become more spec every year. That's why I was lamenting the departure of Randy Bernard, he realized the cars needed to be different and sexy.
I nearly mentioned Ropin' Randy in my previous post and should have. Considering with who and what he had to deal with, he did a phenomenal job.
Old 6 Feb 2013, 01:16 (Ref:3199952)   #773
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
The sad thing about this is that the article says that aero kits would go for about $65,000 per car. That’s really not a lot on money in the grand scheme of things, yet it apparently is significant bucks in IndyCar land these days, which shows just how far the series has fallen.

And this makes me wonder how close IndyCar is to the point where it must break even (or better) to survive going forward. The series seems unwilling or unable to invest in its own future.

Agree that Randy B did a great job considering the circumstances.
Old 7 Feb 2013, 11:00 (Ref:3200624)   #774
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Allmendinger to test/race Penske:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/stor...IndyCar-020613

Good news!
Old 7 Feb 2013, 11:26 (Ref:3200631)   #775
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Also of note is that Sky Sports (UK) have said on their facebook page that ESPN have taken the broadcasting rights for 2013.