Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 27 Aug 2013, 19:02 (Ref:3294878)   #26
BrentJackson
Racer

Canada
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
BrentJackson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBrentJackson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
So now there is a second 'lucky country'

Here's hoping they sell in the US in enough numbers to keep the plant running at top speed
I think you'll be alright on that one from fleet sales alone. The old American-built Chevrolet Caprice was one of the favored cars of American police forces, and after they killed it the Ford Crown Victoria got a lot of that business along with the Dodge Charger - many police units didn't like the Chevrolet Impala much. Now that the Crown Victoria is gone, the Chevrolet Super Sport (what they're calling the Aussie-built cars here) is probably gonna get a lot of interest from police forces alone, along with other buyers. Just hope that the exchange rate between the Aussie $ and the American $ stays good enough to make selling the cars profitable.
Old 27 Aug 2013, 21:48 (Ref:3294945)   #27
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Chris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ford SUVs muscle in on US police fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentJackson View Post
.........the Chevrolet Super Sport (what they're calling the Aussie-built cars here) is probably gonna get a lot of interest from police forces alone, along with other buyers. Just hope that the exchange rate between the Aussie $ and the American $ stays good enough to make selling the cars profitable.
It seems like police increasingly want SUVs these days: http://www.caradvice.com.au/247769/f...police-fleets/
Old 27 Aug 2013, 23:38 (Ref:3294980)   #28
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentJackson View Post
I think you'll be alright on that one from fleet sales alone. The old American-built Chevrolet Caprice was one of the favored cars of American police forces, and after they killed it the Ford Crown Victoria got a lot of that business along with the Dodge Charger - many police units didn't like the Chevrolet Impala much. Now that the Crown Victoria is gone, the Chevrolet Super Sport (what they're calling the Aussie-built cars here) is probably gonna get a lot of interest from police forces alone, along with other buyers. Just hope that the exchange rate between the Aussie $ and the American $ stays good enough to make selling the cars profitable.
Holden have been building & selling "police" versions of the existing VE Commodore to the US for a few years now. They are sold to the police over there as Chevys by the Chev corporate sales group. They're selling OK.

There's a fair chance that the positive response to the existing police only specials has helped make the argument for the new SS civilian version - not the same spec of course but it would have helped.
Old 2 Oct 2013, 03:37 (Ref:3311737)   #29
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At last a Govt Minister telling like it is, As much as I am a Fordie, I did my Apprenticeship at GMH, (General Motors Holden) and have a soft spot for them, but like Mc Farlane says, it's one hell of a challenge.

Hate to see our Automotive Engineering get lost to overseas,
article:
http://finance.ninemsn.com.au/newsbu...en-in-adelaide
Old 2 Oct 2013, 05:48 (Ref:3311756)   #30
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
will it be on the news tonight or just in Adelaide
http://finance.ninemsn.com.au/newsbu...ompany-in-aust
Old 25 Oct 2013, 10:18 (Ref:3322876)   #31
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Chris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Holden boss Mike Devereux to leave

I was wondering why I didn't notice him being at Bathurst, you know, Holden supposedly being the most committed to V8 Supercar, etc, etc: http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor...025-2w6kn.html

Will he be replaced by a caretaker who will shut Holden down?
Old 28 Oct 2013, 20:23 (Ref:3324406)   #32
amiers
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
amiers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i find most of the comments in this thread very interesting. As much as i too would love Ford, Holden and Toyota to stay in Aus im sure as hell not happy about paying for them to do it. If these companies cant work out how to make a profit and continue, well bad luck. i understand people will lose jobs but thousnads of other people lose thiers everyday and the taxpayer doesnt help them.

i run a business and if i cant make a profit i go broke and close down, thats not anybodies fault but mine and i shouldnt expect people on this forum or anyother taxpayer to save me. Holden got $275mil and said they wouldnt sack anyone, then sacked 500 and asked for another $500mil. Where does it stop? At least Ford went hands up, mind you that is after who knows how many million of dollars. Cut them loose, let them run thier business like the rest of us and whatever will be will be.
Old 29 Oct 2013, 01:00 (Ref:3324528)   #33
RedZedMikey
Racer

Australia
Victoria, Australia
RedZedMikey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by amiers View Post
i find most of the comments in this thread very interesting. As much as i too would love Ford, Holden and Toyota to stay in Aus im sure as hell not happy about paying for them to do it. If these companies cant work out how to make a profit and continue, well bad luck. i understand people will lose jobs but thousnads of other people lose thiers everyday and the taxpayer doesnt help them.

i run a business and if i cant make a profit i go broke and close down, thats not anybodies fault but mine and i shouldnt expect people on this forum or anyother taxpayer to save me. Holden got $275mil and said they wouldnt sack anyone, then sacked 500 and asked for another $500mil. Where does it stop? At least Ford went hands up, mind you that is after who knows how many million of dollars. Cut them loose, let them run thier business like the rest of us and whatever will be will be.
I can see your point, but like it or not, the car industry requires a bigger picture. It's not just the jobs at GMH/Ford/Toyota that are at risk, but many more jobs at component manufacturers as well. Injection moulders, casting plants, steel supplies, glass supplies, seat manufacturers, lighting, wiring, fasteners, mechanical componentry, etc etc. Some of these businesses are already supporting their local supply to the OEMs by importing raw materials and/or components, but to replace all of that plus the OEM factory labour would be a serious employment issue for this country.

All foreign governments support vehicle manufacture in their home countries; many with more $ per head of population than Australia does. Whilst the number of cars built and sold here has continued to fall, and the number of imports increases, the country as a whole is doing no good at all to its Balance of Payments.

Ford has announced its future, but their exports are small thanks to decisions made in the US not to allow tooling for Falcon/Territory in LHD along with access to markets such as the Middle East. I've already lost my job for a component manufacturer due to falling volumes, but I can quote that 3 years ago Toyota was manufacturing more than 60% of its production as LHD vehicles. Holden also exports vehicles in LHD form to the same ME markets, with added boosters from time to time in exports to the US.

If Holden and Toyota also close, not only does the local vehicle get replaced by a foreign product, but we would also lose one of the countries biggest export earners.
Old 29 Oct 2013, 04:47 (Ref:3324578)   #34
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Gee, if this trend continues there won't be any taxpayers, so the govt will have to close centrelink and stop medicare......people will have to get on boats in Idonesia to go to China, South Korea and Taiwan to find an income........lotsa luck with your new destinations fellas, I eagerly await video footage of burqhas in Tianamen Square.
Old 29 Oct 2013, 09:08 (Ref:3324618)   #35
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's not just cars - locomotives as well Downer EDI (who hold the local EMD -formerly GM, licence) have announced that all locomotive will now be built at an overseas "low cost" plant. Local centres will only do servicing.

And the newest Sydney suburban trains come from China.
Old 29 Oct 2013, 22:12 (Ref:3324907)   #36
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by amiers View Post
I don't think you are comparing apples with apples. I might be wrong, but I suspect your business competes with other local business that have a similar cost structure and wage bill to your business.

Australia's car manufacturers have to compete with international competitors with lower cost structures including massively advantageous wage costs.

There is an immediate cost to taxpayers, but there is a long-term, far reaching benefits for taxpayers as well, including adding to the total number of taxpayers as opposed to adding to the numbers on government benefits. Don't forget that multinational companies in other sectors get subsidies as well, but the media doesn't seem to dwell on that fact.

Every other western country subsidises their car industries in one way or another, often far more than Australia does. The major issue in Australia is the diverse car market we have here.
Old 31 Oct 2013, 05:13 (Ref:3325374)   #37
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/...urance-on-cars

Good to see the Govt not just rushing in, Both PArent Companys have money, and yes Govts around do deals and tax relief etc , R&D is a big one, but just because a few say we need it, due diligence must be done, TOyo and GM are not short of quid, so I agree with Govt on this one, yes we understand its vital, but, like they did in the states , roll up in private Jets, stay at top notch hotels , then squeal like stuck pigs were are broke, please present a valid plan, dont just ask for handouts. Sack excess management , retain workers , dont need Snr Vice Presidents of bullshit, junior Vice Presidents of Marketing etc etc
Old 31 Oct 2013, 10:24 (Ref:3325454)   #38
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Car-making inquiry sets March 2014 deadline

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...257C1500106011

Note that the date is a couple of weeks AFTER the SA state elections. What odds the findings being bad; ominous...
Old 31 Oct 2013, 11:25 (Ref:3325479)   #39
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris - Melb View Post
http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...257C1500106011

Note that the date is a couple of weeks AFTER the SA state elections. What odds the findings being bad; ominous...
Again the current govt is doing the right thing, not like the past mob who just gave money to anyone who sooked enough, as I have said brefore both Toyo and GM have **** loads of money, just dont want to spend it, but use taxpayer money. Labour playing vote getting, before the election rather than spending tax money wiseley
Old 31 Oct 2013, 16:54 (Ref:3325555)   #40
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco View Post
Again the current govt is doing the right thing, not like the past mob who just gave money to anyone who sooked enough, as I have said brefore both Toyo and GM have **** loads of money, just dont want to spend it, but use taxpayer money. Labour playing vote getting, before the election rather than spending tax money wiseley
That just about sums it up perfectly.
Old 31 Oct 2013, 21:46 (Ref:3325641)   #41
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco View Post
Sometimes you have to spend a little money to make a little money.

Comparatively speaking Bernie Ecclestone makes a stack load more money than car manufacturers yet both Labor and Liberal governments have paid him enormous dollars, otherwise the circus doesn't come to town and goes elsewhere instead.

A fair percentage of V8 Supercar races has government funding directly or indirectly.

So spending money on the car industry is no different. Of course there comes a time when the costs outweigh the obvious and not so obvious benefits.

Don't look here if you are a Holden fan: http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor...101-2wmlp.html
Old 31 Oct 2013, 22:01 (Ref:3325652)   #42
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Federal Government Fleet Size... Info Here

Perhaps the FBT laws could be modified to incentivise people to take Australian-made cars instead of imported ones? Reduce the FBT liability by some amount that makes it financially responsible to take a Cruze instead of an i30...

Or just let it all shut down, so we have nothing...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 31 Oct 2013, 23:12 (Ref:3325684)   #43
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:

Perhaps the FBT laws could be modified to incentivise people to take Australian-made cars instead of imported ones? Reduce the FBT liability by some amount that makes it financially responsible to take a Cruze instead of an i30...

Those FBT suggestions make too much sense; there must be a downside but I can't think of anything, other than condemning people to driving renowned s^%*boxes such as the Holden Cruze; how cruel!
Old 31 Oct 2013, 23:49 (Ref:3325707)   #44
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
General Motors are not a good company to make the case for taxpayer handouts to.Worldwide they are a basket case wherever they operate and have been widely described in the US as a pension fund operating under the nominal cover of a manufacturing company.Holden is just another case of the GM worldwide disease.
I could give my theories about why this has occurred but it would just bring abuse from people who want to defend the product . I thought it was telling that when GM bought a big stake in Subaru and industry insiders asked what role they should play in Subaru they all thought GM should be a silent partner who just took their share of the profits because there was absolutely nothing they could teach Subaru about making cars.Of course GM couldn't help themselves and Subaru's innovation has slowed to a crawl in the post GM years.
Old 1 Nov 2013, 01:17 (Ref:3325749)   #45
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Subaru shall likely become a full subsidiary of Toyota sooner rather than later.. would likely have happened of GFC didnt make itself available.
Old 1 Nov 2013, 01:21 (Ref:3325751)   #46
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Those FBT suggestions make too much sense; there must be a downside but I can't think of anything, other than condemning people to driving renowned s^%*boxes such as the Holden Cruze; how cruel!

I would cry if all I had were those 2 options...

But something has to tip the balance back towards a Holden Calsis with all the fruit than a Toorak tractor 4x4...
Old 1 Nov 2013, 02:25 (Ref:3325772)   #47
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
Quote:
Sometimes you have to spend a little money to make a little money.

Comparatively speaking Bernie Ecclestone makes a stack load more money than car manufacturers yet both Labor and Liberal governments have paid him enormous dollars, otherwise the circus doesn't come to town and goes elsewhere instead.

A fair percentage of V8 Supercar races has government funding directly or indirectly.

So spending money on the car industry is no different. Of course there comes a time when the costs outweigh the obvious and not so obvious benefits.

Don't look here if you are a Holden fan: http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor...101-2wmlp.html
I agree with you on this chris, my point is this time the govt is wanting further info before handing over the dollars as opposed to Krudd/Gutlard who threw money away, If we as a country support this industrie , then they must adhere to a few requirements, and hopefully the current govt will fix the FBT , like others have said and make it more attractive to support local business.
Old 2 Nov 2013, 10:04 (Ref:3326233)   #48
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
In terms of exports, how cool is it to watch 'Inside West Coast Customs' to see a Pedders Suspension package fitted to their 'Rascall Flatts' Camaro... Then to top it off, a Harrop supercharger was also included

Awesome stuff!
Old 3 Nov 2013, 00:55 (Ref:3326435)   #49
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

It's a good start, and I believe we've all discussed similar things on here before.

The Government needs to adjust its policies and tax laws to assist the local car manufacturing industry by way of sales volumes.

- Reduce the stamp duty on locally-made cars.
- The bulk of the Government fleet should be locally-made.

And that's just the start.
Old 3 Nov 2013, 00:56 (Ref:3326436)   #50
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
In terms of exports, how cool is it to watch 'Inside West Coast Customs' to see a Pedders Suspension package fitted to their 'Rascall Flatts' Camaro... Then to top it off, a Harrop supercharger was also included

Awesome stuff!
Ironically, you or I could jump online and purchase the same things from the USA, cheaper than what we could get them here.