Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 Dec 2013, 23:34 (Ref:3342151)   #26
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
I can't stand Abu Dhabi awarding more points than Monaco. Or Monza, Spa or Silverstone. or Suzuka or Interlagos.
Old 9 Dec 2013, 23:38 (Ref:3342152)   #27
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Double might be fine for somewhere like Monaco or Suzuka where the drivers really earn them, but next year we end up with double points in ............. Abu Dhabi
Old 9 Dec 2013, 23:41 (Ref:3342155)   #28
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Developing cars for longer? Isn't it only like adding one extra race from a points perspective?

Not for that reason, I hate it. There is no sporting logic behind it. The primary goal is to find the best driver car team over the year. This doesn't help that. I do not fall into the camp of getting pleasure out of whinging about poor rules. However my stance on this is that it is pathetic. The FIA should protect the sport against this not implement it. Just because 'fans' whinge that the season was over too early doesn't mean this was needed.
Old 9 Dec 2013, 23:49 (Ref:3342159)   #29
ace007
Racer

ace007 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
I can't stand Abu Dhabi awarding more points than Monaco. Or Monza, Spa or Silverstone. or Suzuka or Interlagos.
IT IS A NON-SENSE INDEED!!

Give Spa, Monza or Suzuka that treat indeed!!!
Old 9 Dec 2013, 23:50 (Ref:3342160)   #30
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
It's just another gimmick in an attempt to *spice* up the show..

Budget cap now please... How much more spice does anyone need!
Old 9 Dec 2013, 23:56 (Ref:3342164)   #31
ace007
Racer

ace007 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
It's just another gimmick in an attempt to *spice* up the show..

Budget cap now please... How much more spice does anyone need!
Well budget caps will save F1 if implemented cleverly! The only way before CVC finds itself with 3 teams entered in the world championship!
Old 10 Dec 2013, 00:21 (Ref:3342170)   #32
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Formula One is reacting exactly the same way NASCAR reacted. 2013 was a snoozer because of Vettel`s dominance...but it doesn't mean F1 should add a gimmick like this. Are people in F1 forgetting how close the 2012, 2010, 2008, 2007, etc championships were? 2011 and 2013 were exceptions to the rule.

Oh, and the idea that teams will continue to develop their cars because of this double round...I highly doubt it. Who cares if a team finishes 3rd or 4th in the championship. Once a team believes it does not have a realistic chance, it will shift focus to the following year regardless of the final race.

One more reason to change the TV channel.
Old 10 Dec 2013, 00:26 (Ref:3342172)   #33
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Imagine if you lead all season, then your engine blows in Abu Dhabi and someone sails past you in the standings because of the double points.
Well, it is after all a team sport.

It's not like engine blow ups haven't decided F1 championships before. Build a better engine!
Old 10 Dec 2013, 00:37 (Ref:3342180)   #34
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Hopefully the other circuits will kick up a stink.

Personally I think each race should be a defacto major whilst the championship is overemphasised, so the double points, whilst irkesome, is something I can take on the chin - with a grumble.

Red line issues for me are reverse grids, success ballast and reality TV guff that FE seems to be mucking with. They cross those lines - I'm out.
Old 10 Dec 2013, 00:56 (Ref:3342187)   #35
jsTrecu
Veteran

jsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Came to the forum to read your opinions as soon as I learned about these new rules.
I'm a bit shocked by the double points finale, it will make it too random in my opinion. But it fits the current path F1 has chosen of "more drama, less racing" with DRS and all.

- Double points finale. Must say I agree with most about this, don't like it at all....
- Cost cap is needed.
- Permanent numbers are a good idea, the thing is numbers are too small on current liveries, it's not like MotoGP where you can see a #46 from a mile.
- Two pit stops, I'm not sure about this, but it may work.
- Tyre tests, it's ok.
Old 10 Dec 2013, 01:11 (Ref:3342188)   #36
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Gary Watkins posted on twitter that in the WEC, Le Mans is a double-point scoring round in a series in which the standard race is 6 hours long. The Abu Dhabi would have to be 750 miles long to match the same proportionate points increase!

That puts it into perspective for me. Why? Why is winning the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix worth twice as much as any other? The points system is meant to reward positions equally over the course of the season.

I'm not sure quite what the World Championship proves anymore.

I tell you what's most annoying. The fact I hate these changes, and I'll moan until the cows come home - but I'll still watch every bleeding, miserable race next season.
Old 10 Dec 2013, 02:03 (Ref:3342204)   #37
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!

As Salamus says:

Double points for last race!

Says it all really, just devalues everything, circus indeed!
Old 10 Dec 2013, 02:28 (Ref:3342207)   #38
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
It's not really the first time that there would be a peculiar points system. We once had a driver who had the most points, not winning a WDC. I hope we never go back to that 'points system' !
Old 10 Dec 2013, 02:29 (Ref:3342208)   #39
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
Gary Watkins posted on twitter that in the WEC, Le Mans is a double-point scoring round in a series in which the standard race is 6 hours long. The Abu Dhabi would have to be 750 miles long to match the same proportionate points increase!

That puts it into perspective for me. Why? Why is winning the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix worth twice as much as any other? The points system is meant to reward positions equally over the course of the season.

I'm not sure quite what the World Championship proves anymore.

I tell you what's most annoying. The fact I hate these changes, and I'll moan until the cows come home - but I'll still watch every bleeding, miserable race next season.
I was thinking about the Le Mans double points too. A race that is 4 times as long as the others and is the clear centerpiece of the entire championship should have double points. Or triple.
Abu Dhabi should not have double points just because it's the last race.

And like you I will continue to watch. It's a circus and has been for a long time. DRS, KERS boost buttons, requirements to run multiple tire compounds in one race. But it's F1. If they pay 1000 points for the last race or do away with points altogether and award gourmet desserts instead I will still watch because it's F1.
Old 10 Dec 2013, 03:02 (Ref:3342219)   #40
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just call it,"The Chase".
Old 10 Dec 2013, 03:48 (Ref:3342229)   #41
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Speaking of numbers, what about making an area on the rear wing endplate so that the number can be clearly seen.
Old 10 Dec 2013, 04:22 (Ref:3342242)   #42
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, I can just imagine a non-contender winning the double points and the championship because of a Grosjean like start wiping out the front row and more. That would be a watered down champion. Very bizarre...
Old 10 Dec 2013, 04:39 (Ref:3342244)   #43
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Double points for the last round is utterly bizarre and to me feels like someone who doesn't get it has come up with the idea.

The media will so often talk about driver X losing the WDC at the last race but that's bullsh - if they lost, it was because of a lack of points across the season and the last race is a small part of that - the big points losses might have occurred in races 3, 4 and 5 of the year for example.

I reckon it'll be hard to explain to the casual punter too - along with the 2 compulsory stops. These type of things suit touring cars and the like that ARE largely focussed on entertainment but it just doesn't feel right for F1.

Like others, I'll still be watching no doubt but I wish they'd stop mucking around at the edges and get on with addressing core issues instead!
Old 10 Dec 2013, 05:58 (Ref:3342256)   #44
chriskrazer
Rookie

chriskrazer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm really hoping they put the double points for last race rule in there so the team's get angry about that and fight the budget cap less, because otherwise it seems ridiculous
Old 10 Dec 2013, 06:28 (Ref:3342258)   #45
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Well, it is after all a team sport.

It's not like engine blow ups haven't decided F1 championships before. Build a better engine!
You are going to have to try harder here.

Can you tell me why an engine blowup on one day should be potentially more damaging (twice so) than an engine failure a week or two earlier. Especially at the end of the season when equipment is a bit more scarce.

Can you tell me why the last race in particular is double points? Why not the first? Hey, it'd make no difference right? Oh sorry, all the thick people would switch off because the winner would have a massive points advantage after one race.

Can you tell me why a race witnessed by a trackside audience of dozens should award double over a packed Silverstone or Monza?

And this doesn't just effect the boys and girls at the top either.
Old 10 Dec 2013, 06:34 (Ref:3342260)   #46
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm expecting some more fine tuning to the points system for the last race of 2015. A bonus point system will to come into effect. To be awarded at the final race in Abu Dhabi.

Bonus points awarded will be:

4 WDC points for most poles during the year.
2 WDC points for most fastest laps of the race.
3 WDC points for leading the most laps during the season.
5 WCC for the fastest pit stop during season.
6 WCC points for the team that uses the least amount of fuel during the year, and finish all races.
10 WCC points for each team that has had both cars classified finish at all races.

Now that should spice things up a bit more.

Don't forget to book your flights and accommodation for Abu Dhabi folks, Bernie wants you to attend and boost the attendance from the usual 100 or so people in the grand stands.
Old 10 Dec 2013, 07:07 (Ref:3342263)   #47
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Double points for the last race was agreed to by the teams as a good idea, but a mandatory two stops per race is not?? Cannot believe they rejected that over the double points for last race!!

Old 10 Dec 2013, 07:22 (Ref:3342267)   #48
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Tied positions to be decided by phone vote.

"...don't miss the results AFTER THE BREAK!"
Old 10 Dec 2013, 07:34 (Ref:3342269)   #49
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really liked the "medals" system proposed a few years back, i've always thought collecting wins was more important than collecting numbers, but a traditional points system staying in place i totally understood.

50 points up for grabs at the final race of the year, particularly if its a year where nobody makes a Vettel-style 2013 break, could potentially lead to someone 'there or thereabouts' all year winding up Champion if its a whacky final round...and in my opinion (which probably doesn't count for anything) somebody 'there or thereabouts' in a championship year doesn't deserve to win any championship, letalone the World Drivers Championship.
Old 10 Dec 2013, 08:19 (Ref:3342276)   #50
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
I think it's perfectly befitting for a championship that is trying to tap into a market that is seemingly only interested in vacuous bullcarp.