Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 23 Apr 2014, 17:03 (Ref:3397343)   #1
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
The Lower Leagues

I thought it might be a good idea to create a catch-all thread for all the GT-series that normally don't warrant their own bespoke thread on here, so probably most anything below the national top-series of the UK, France and Germany.

Series that would fit in this thread are:

Germany: DMV-Tourenwagen-Championship, Spezial-Tourenwagen Trophy (don't let the names fool you both are very heavy on GTs)
UK: Britcar, Bute GT Cup
France: VdeV
Italy: Italian GT, Coppa Italia, etc.
Scandinavia: Swedish GT, various Thundersports/Special Saloon series
Spain: Iber GT
BeNeLux: Supercar Challenge, BRCC

(and more)

I'll start with something from the UK: A packed entry list for the opening round of the GT-Cup this weekend at Donnington.

Also starting this weekend: Belgium's BRCC, where the field will be lead into the 3 hour race by 8 GT3 cars and as announced today an SRT run Corvette C6R GTE!
Old 23 Apr 2014, 17:49 (Ref:3397374)   #2
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
A big grid, with some spectacular cars (the Mosler and Marcos in particular).
Four classes going on in there, what's the difference between them?
Old 23 Apr 2014, 18:20 (Ref:3397388)   #3
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Please add some coverage on Trans-Am Series too so I can request a mod to close the thread since it needs more love.

If not, that's okay.
Old 23 Apr 2014, 18:26 (Ref:3397391)   #4
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
GT-Cup-classes:

Quote:
There will be four groups defined by original manufacturer stated specifications comprising of;

GTO Open specification cars (subject to meeting balance of performance),GT3 and modified challenge
cars
GTC Late model year Challenge and Cup specification cars, with performance balancing where required
GTB Early year Challenge and Cup cars with minimum specification changes together with modified
saloon base vehicles
GTA Lower powered Cup, Challenge and One make series cars
What I like best about GT-Cup is that they do a really good job at presenting themselves. After each race they have some - by club racing standards - very watchable videos online.

Another series that'll be starting this weekend is the DMV-TCC with a pair of 30 minute sprints at Brno: Entry list here (pdf download).
12 full-on GT3s in a field of around 40 cars. Other notable entries are two 997RSRs (one of them turbo-charged) and Perti Kuismannen with his trusty GT1 Viper and Rock Media's Pagani.
Old 23 Apr 2014, 18:32 (Ref:3397394)   #5
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagVanisher View Post
Please add some coverage on Trans-Am Series too so I can request a mod to close the thread since it needs more love.

If not, that's okay.
Feel free to discuss Trans-Am here. Although it is more of a touring car series in my mind.
Old 23 Apr 2014, 19:16 (Ref:3397413)   #6
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
Super car challenge has some nice cars in the field, last year a Mc Laren, corvettes, porsches, ferrari, vipers all took part. On motors tv they show the highlights of the races.
Old 23 Apr 2014, 19:22 (Ref:3397416)   #7
Speed-King
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobster View Post
Super car challenge has some nice cars in the field, last year a Mc Laren, corvettes, porsches, ferrari, vipers all took part. On motors tv they show the highlights of the races.
Things have changed for the worse this year though... They had their first races last weekend and much of the GT1/2/3-machinery is gone with silhouette cars of different types taking their place.

Race results.
Old 23 Apr 2014, 19:51 (Ref:3397428)   #8
IndyMeister
Racer

IndyMeister should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DMV starts its season at Brno this weekend:
12 GT3 cars on the entry list (+ 9 Porsche 997s and a few GT2s):
http://www.dmv-tcc.com/events/2014/T...enn-CZ-53.html

And if you don't know what you are doing in the next few day, thi might interest you :
http://www.dmv-tcc.com/marketplace.html
Old 23 Apr 2014, 19:59 (Ref:3397431)   #9
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Mr Pink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Modsport in Sweden has some pretty cool cars (among others the Speedlab Corvette which has a thread on here somewhere). The classes are based on kg/hp.

http://www.modsport.se/index.php?page=foerare-team
Old 23 Apr 2014, 22:23 (Ref:3397482)   #10
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
fergus_r should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
GT Cup is a pleasant surprise this season, having occasionally struggled to even make double figures these past few years. Should be a good championship if the numbers keep up for the whole year.
Old 24 Apr 2014, 06:46 (Ref:3397577)   #11
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Feel free to discuss Trans-Am here. Although it is more of a touring car series in my mind.
Well, there's some GT cars in the TA3 class with marquees such as Porsche, BMW, etc.

But anyway, the Trans-Am series is gaining step-by-step with TV and media coverage deals being formed on the series. While the TA1 class is important since it's on par with NASCAR in terms of horsepower, I think I'm interested in the TA2 class since it's a pony car class with Ford and Chevy battling out with their respective Mustangs and Camaros.

Plus, it's the ideal class where it needs to inject some manufacturer involvement and modern technology, becoming what is essentially the American version of Super GT/DTM. Of course, it's not gonna happen because Trans-Am can't afford to lose the TA1 class.

That's my take on Trans-Am. As for the news, it's straight from the website itself.
Old 24 Apr 2014, 14:09 (Ref:3397731)   #12
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
That's my take on Trans-Am. As for the news, it's straight from the website itself.
which can be found at www.gotransam.com
Old 24 Apr 2014, 14:28 (Ref:3397747)   #13
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Any series which wants to hold my attention (and is too small for television) needs to stream races--even replays--or I just can't get too excited.

Every time I have seen T/A at a track the cars were cool, but I haven't seen T/A in a couple years ... I have no clue what's up with it.

As for all the other interesting series ... well, they sound interesting (a series which is basically run-what-you-brung with a bhp/kg standard? Excellent!) but my days of following racing by outdasted magazine articles, or even up-to-date web articles, are over. I want to see the racing.
Old 24 Apr 2014, 17:13 (Ref:3397810)   #14
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Any series which wants to hold my attention (and is too small for television) needs to stream races--even replays--or I just can't get too excited.

Every time I have seen T/A at a track the cars were cool, but I haven't seen T/A in a couple years ... I have no clue what's up with it.

As for all the other interesting series ... well, they sound interesting (a series which is basically run-what-you-brung with a bhp/kg standard? Excellent!) but my days of following racing by outdasted magazine articles, or even up-to-date web articles, are over. I want to see the racing.
That all costs money. Since these are 'lower' level national/club series then I think thats expecting a little too much. Nice to see some teams installing cameras in their cars for all to see on YouTube, though.

I like championships that accept wide varieties of machinery. Britcar is pretty good for variety but the OTT noise limits and recent grid sizes (as well as a lack of support races) have put me off. Weather permitting I may well have a trip to Donington this weekend for GT Cup - looks like most series in those MSVR-organised meetings have some really big grids.
Old 24 Apr 2014, 18:07 (Ref:3397834)   #15
Speed-King
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post

Have a look at GT-Cup's coverage from last year then: Link to Rd.1 2013.

Overview of all 2013-videos.

As I said, those highlights programs are pretty well done, though the product that they can work with varied from round to round with capacity grids occuring as well as weekends when they were barely getting into double digits.
Old 25 Apr 2014, 01:07 (Ref:3397942)   #16
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
I miss Belcar-remember the variety of cars in that series. Good times while it lasted.

That's what I like about the lesser known series, there's usually a myriad of different cars that aren't normally seen in the bigger series. The drivers aren't usually professionals but still the racing is good
Old 25 Apr 2014, 04:09 (Ref:3397974)   #17
MagVanisher
Veteran

Say, any news on whether the Britcar 24 Hours will return next year? I heard that it was cancelled because of rowdy fans.
Old 25 Apr 2014, 09:01 (Ref:3398046)   #18
Speed-King
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
I miss Belcar-remember the variety of cars in that series. Good times while it lasted.

That's what I like about the lesser known series, there's usually a myriad of different cars that aren't normally seen in the bigger series. The drivers aren't usually professionals but still the racing is good
Well, Belcar has become BRCC (more or less - it's a long and complicated story) and after some lean years they are actually looking quite good for this season. The one thing that I don't like is their BoP process, that uses additional pitstop times to equalize older and newer GT3 cars. So PK's 2012 Audi R8 will have to stop 3,5 minutes less than the post-2013 cars. In a 3 hour race, that is. Seems a bit excessive to me, they could simply have given them a weight break.
Old 25 Apr 2014, 16:46 (Ref:3398182)   #19
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Say, any news on whether the Britcar 24 Hours will return next year? I heard that it was cancelled because of rowdy fans.
Should be back next year:

http://www.britcar24hr.co.uk/home/?p=5335
Old 25 Apr 2014, 20:27 (Ref:3398254)   #20
Speed-King
Veteran

Lo and behold! The Pagani is running and on pole for the first race of DMV-TCC tomorrow!

Qualifying Results can be found here.
Old 26 Apr 2014, 07:13 (Ref:3398375)   #21
IndyMeister
Racer

IndyMeister should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Lo and behold! The Pagani is running and on pole for the first race of DMV-TCC tomorrow!
Oh, good memories! Never had much success in GT1 but it's simply a thouroughbred sportscar. Does anyone know which chassis it is (maybe another)?
http://www.racingsportscars.com/type/Pagani/Zonda.html
Old 26 Apr 2014, 07:18 (Ref:3398376)   #22
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMeister View Post
Oh, good memories! Never had much success in GT1 but it's simply a thouroughbred sportscar. Does anyone know which chassis it is (maybe another)?
http://www.racingsportscars.com/type/Pagani/Zonda.html
By the photo, it actually looks like a Zonda R instead of any of the chassis listed on RSC.
Old 26 Apr 2014, 07:22 (Ref:3398379)   #23
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
Seen the list from qualifying, that looks like a damn good series to watch!
Old 26 Apr 2014, 07:26 (Ref:3398381)   #24
Speed-King
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobster View Post
Seen the list from qualifying, that looks like a damn good series to watch!
Yeah, it's usually pretty good, though they seem to have lost their focus a bit this year... too many rounds outside Germany (for drivers and crew guys that have a regular job) and increased entry fees means the paddock isn't exactly happy. Will be interesting to see how their fields will hold up during the year...34 cars is okay for an out of country round, but they used to get as many as 50 cars for their Hockenheim races.
Old 26 Apr 2014, 11:35 (Ref:3398426)   #25
MagVanisher
Veteran

Quote:

Qualifying Results can be found here.
It's good to see a Zonda R racing somewhere. Still, I wonder if the racing team can handle the repair cost of that racecar...