Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 5 Jan 2016, 11:33 (Ref:3602208)   #751
Ospi
Veteran

Ospi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOspi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Expect the Asian summer series to be announced tomorrow. 3 races all at sepang, may, august, sept, p3, cn & gt cars.
Old 5 Jan 2016, 12:17 (Ref:3602219)   #752
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The Malaysian Le Mans Series.

SO ACO will presumably host FIVE events at Sepang annually they must really love it there.

Did they not get enough interest for P3/only so they had to add GT(3) too...

Are there LM auto invites...
Old 5 Jan 2016, 12:25 (Ref:3602223)   #753
Ospi
Veteran

Ospi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOspi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Doubt it but it helps justify Asian based teams purchasing these cars since the current 4 Asian events in a year schedule gets a nice expansion.
Old 5 Jan 2016, 17:32 (Ref:3602293)   #754
Artur
Veteran

Artur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wish the Malaysians would put money to host a WEC event. Sepang is one of the very few new circuits, on F1 calendar, that I actually like. Sadly, I don't see it happening. At least it's great to have lower prototypes there, though.
Old 5 Jan 2016, 19:36 (Ref:3602330)   #755
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I was 'fine' with it for years, I mean the profile wasn't quite as sterile as most of Tilke's later work. The two straights next to the stadium stands were kinda iconic actually. But then they poured tons of asphalt to majority of it like every other F1 track (didn't have it originally, being 90's track). Also the everyday tropical downpour means that you have to race in morning or noon unless you want boat races, so you are very limited in what you can do in todays world where red flags are thrown at the first drops of rain. The immense humid heat is a killer too.

PS I actually do like 'boat races' but FIA does not. Even though the track is ridiculously wide and the safety areas too...
Old 7 Jan 2016, 03:17 (Ref:3602702)   #756
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
The rain isn't so bad around May through July, but April is the end of the wet season. So a race there should be early Summer or Spring for those in the northern hemisphere. That's after f1 goes there, so it could work.
Old 7 Jan 2016, 10:24 (Ref:3602746)   #757
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Just a mini-rant, so disregard if you want: I do feel that I need to say that in recent days I've been depressed and frustrated, and at time times, motorsports has provided me with a sens of frustration over the year, especially the past decade or so.

So I'll say this: If you like what you're seeing, appreciate it now. Because it might be gone in a short while and replaced by something less likable.
Old 7 Jan 2016, 20:25 (Ref:3602882)   #758
Artur
Veteran

Artur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Just a mini-rant, so disregard if you want: I do feel that I need to say that in recent days I've been depressed and frustrated, and at time times, motorsports has provided me with a sens of frustration over the year, especially the past decade or so.

So I'll say this: If you like what you're seeing, appreciate it now. Because it might be gone in a short while and replaced by something less likable.
Firstly, I'm sorry to hear about your sad/depressed last few days(I also have those quite often) and sincerely hope things gets better for you.

What did you mean about motorsports, though. Did you mean motorsports were, sometimes, a relief or an outlet for frustration, over the past decade or so?

That's what it ends up being for me, sometimes. I love racing regardless of my state, but when I'm sad, depressed, frustrated, I guess it also serves me as an escape from that
Old 12 Jan 2016, 22:50 (Ref:3604206)   #759
Deleted
Veteran

I've told many times I don't particularly care for drivers in sportscar racing, but in the world of ever more pro-am implementations, can people here list series / categories still 100% free to enter with *whatever* lineup? And by whatever I don't mean some 87 year old taxi driver from Berlin who's never seen racing circuit before, or licenceless kids fresh from karting or whatever, but you know... from plausible to the superstars free. In essence, no Proam.
Old 12 Jan 2016, 23:03 (Ref:3604209)   #760
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
VLN comes to mind...
Old 13 Jan 2016, 12:11 (Ref:3604347)   #761
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
GTE Pro. It's the only ACO category with no restrictions.
Old 13 Jan 2016, 21:35 (Ref:3604528)   #762
Deleted
Veteran

10 years ago we probably would have trouble listing enough series and categories which did have driver restrictions.

Or factory/privateer, for that matter.
Old 14 Jan 2016, 00:40 (Ref:3604573)   #763
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Super GT I think is pretty open in driver age rank/talent. Some guys have been there in Japan for decades but still do gt300/500.
Old 14 Jan 2016, 00:56 (Ref:3604578)   #764
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Super GT I think is pretty open in driver age rank/talent. Some guys have been there in Japan for decades but still do gt300/500.

Yeah there are some old guys in GT300 vastly experienced but with a range of talent, one of the Lotus drivers is in his 60s I believe. In GT500 Motoyama and Krumm are in their mid 40s.
Old 14 Jan 2016, 08:09 (Ref:3604625)   #765
Miguel
Veteran

Netherlands
GLD
Miguel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMiguel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
I've told many times I don't particularly care for drivers in sportscar racing, but in the world of ever more pro-am implementations, can people here list series / categories still 100% free to enter with *whatever* lineup? And by whatever I don't mean some 87 year old taxi driver from Berlin who's never seen racing circuit before, or licenceless kids fresh from karting or whatever, but you know... from plausible to the superstars free. In essence, no Proam.
The Pro Cup in Blancpain GT is open for everyone regardless of driver rating.
Old 14 Jan 2016, 10:49 (Ref:3604670)   #766
Deleted
Veteran

Yeah but these sub GT3 Pro Cups and GTE-PROs are already classes artificially separated from the Proam classes running same cars, so they don't really count.

In VLN, are they all free? Could Sebastian Loeb partner up with Fernando Alonso and Valentino Rossi and no one else in every class? What about if three businessman who only have Ferrari Challenge or whatever experience, can they enter any class by themselves?
Old 14 Jan 2016, 15:44 (Ref:3604753)   #767
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Yeah but these sub GT3 Pro Cups and GTE-PROs are already classes artificially separated from the Proam classes running same cars, so they don't really count.

In VLN, are they all free? Could Sebastian Loeb partner up with Fernando Alonso and Valentino Rossi and no one else in every class? What about if three businessman who only have Ferrari Challenge or whatever experience, can they enter any class by themselves?
You do need a Nordschleife-permit (and there's a bit of a kerfuffle about the extent of that right now) but there is no upper limit on driver line-ups.... so a team could field four platinum drivers should they want to.
Old 14 Jan 2016, 16:17 (Ref:3604762)   #768
Deleted
Veteran

Alright

Four platinums in Opel Astra OPC car if they desire?
Old 14 Jan 2016, 16:23 (Ref:3604765)   #769
Speed-King
Veteran

Yup... no designated Am-classes that I would be aware off - maybe some of the manufacturer cups have some limits, but I doubt even that.

But of course no one would do that... so the system is more or less self-policing.
Old 14 Jan 2016, 20:38 (Ref:3604841)   #770
Deleted
Veteran

Even 'in theory' is fine in this day and age. VLN has done good there
Old 18 Jan 2016, 12:14 (Ref:3605903)   #771
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ginetta G57

Some interesting comments here from Lawrence Tomlinson on the new G57.

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2016/0...ht-future.html

He reckons it will lap Silverstone in 1:47. The LMP2 pole time last year was 1:48.021, and the GTE-Pro pole was 1:59.970. Considering how LMP3s have struggled compared to the GTs in ELMS this is quite a jump. There have been significant changes under the skin of course, not least replacing the Nissan engine with a 580bhp Chevy.

I get the feeling Ginetta has lost interest in LMP3, probably because of the limitations imposed by the cost cap (and the bad press Ginetta have got because of it?).

“In terms of quality of the car, we have moved on tremendously from the LMP3 car which had a tight budget. We found that a challenge from an engineering point of view. We’ve enjoyed being involved in LMP3, it’s been great fun, but this car is the next step for us.

“It’s got an engine built in house which is under stressed. It’s got an Xtrac gearbox in it which you’d expect in an LMP1 car, but you’ve got it in a car here which is under £200,000. You look at the value of it relative to the value of an LMP2, and it’s faster, and you can fit two people in it, and it’s air conditioned, what’s not to like about it?”
Old 18 Jan 2016, 12:24 (Ref:3605913)   #772
Deleted
Veteran

It's easy to improve laptimes and meet paces of other classes when you don't have to follow any regulations anymore.

Their weak car builds = unhappy customers probably factored more than anything else for the LMP3 dismissal...

Anyway, since they talk of LMP3 in past tense... maybe ACO knew Ginetta was gonna ditch the class (and customers with it), so that's why they imposed the chassis spec limit for 5 instead of 4 like in LMP2... four in the end regardless
Old 18 Jan 2016, 12:26 (Ref:3605915)   #773
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
Some interesting comments here from Lawrence Tomlinson on the new G57.

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2016/0...ht-future.html

He reckons it will lap Silverstone in 1:47. The LMP2 pole time last year was 1:48.021, and the GTE-Pro pole was 1:59.970. Considering how LMP3s have struggled compared to the GTs in ELMS this is quite a jump. There have been significant changes under the skin of course, not least replacing the Nissan engine with a 580bhp Chevy.

I get the feeling Ginetta has lost interest in LMP3, probably because of the limitations imposed by the cost cap (and the bad press Ginetta have got because of it?).

“In terms of quality of the car, we have moved on tremendously from the LMP3 car which had a tight budget. We found that a challenge from an engineering point of view. We’ve enjoyed being involved in LMP3, it’s been great fun, but this car is the next step for us.

“It’s got an engine built in house which is under stressed. It’s got an Xtrac gearbox in it which you’d expect in an LMP1 car, but you’ve got it in a car here which is under £200,000. You look at the value of it relative to the value of an LMP2, and it’s faster, and you can fit two people in it, and it’s air conditioned, what’s not to like about it?”
I might be mistaken, but the fact that it cannot race in any series, other that small special national events, makes it an every expensive track day car.
Old 18 Jan 2016, 13:56 (Ref:3605933)   #774
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It's easy to improve laptimes and meet paces of other classes when you don't have to follow any regulations anymore.

Their weak car builds = unhappy customers probably factored more than anything else for the LMP3 dismissal...

Anyway, since they talk of LMP3 in past tense... maybe ACO knew Ginetta was gonna ditch the class (and customers with it), so that's why they imposed the chassis spec limit for 5 instead of 4 like in LMP2... four in the end regardless
They had engine supply problems as well, so in frustration comes the current policy of selling a chassis and engine procurement up to the customer, hardly a way to maintain a mainstream presence.
Old 26 Jan 2016, 15:05 (Ref:3608137)   #775
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There was an interesting tire fact on a S365 article about the new Ford:

Quote:
At the 2015 Rolex 24 At Daytona last January, the race winning CGR Ford EcoBoost Riley DP used 30 sets of a competitor’s single specification tire to rack up 2,634 miles, at an average speed of 109.69 miles per hour.

By comparison, the more powerful 2015 Le Mans 24 Hour winning Porsche 919 hybrid used just 10 sets of Michelin tires in covering 3,452 miles at an average speed of 139.3 miles per hour.