Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

View Poll Results: Where will the WEC US round 2017 be held?
Circuit of the Americas (early September? with PCW?) 17 36.96%
Indy - plenty of history and, more importantly, plenty of run off 6 13.04%
Montreal - close enough to the US border and would serve US N-E audience very well 8 17.39%
Road America - the only right choice but lots of 'upgrading' to do to please the FIA blue blazers 7 15.22%
no US (or Canadian) round at all - the WEC doesn't need a race there anyway... 6 13.04%
somewhere else in North or South America (Brazil???) 2 4.35%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17 Aug 2016, 14:55 (Ref:3666154)   #26
Artur
Veteran

Artur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosport Fan View Post
I know the China and Japan rounds are out here, but I looked at the cost to go and attend, and it's quite high- and the Chinese round looked pretty scarse in terms of attendance. I know they're there to try and steer potential buyers, but I think it's missed the mark personally.
Actually, I was quite surprised with the attendance at China, last year. Even during QLF there was quite a lot of people there. Not a massive crowd by any account but the event does seem to have slightly picked up there

As for 2017, I think the only North American event will be the Mexican one. For 2018, maybe not even that one....
Old 17 Aug 2016, 15:27 (Ref:3666161)   #27
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Shanghai has atttracted decent crowds in recent years, I remember the TV proudly showing thousands of people lining up at the gates for entry.

The problem is the venue, these gigantic grand stands are hard to fill for anything but F1 (and maybe not even them, no idea, haven't watched an F1 race in ages).

Really the only WEC race that is truly struggling for crowds aside from COTA is Bahrain, and that will likely ever change simply because the potential spectator base simply isn't there. You can't attract something that just isn't there.
Old 17 Aug 2016, 23:20 (Ref:3666236)   #28
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
A lot of people in Bahrain simply don't have the means. And I bet those that do consist of a lot of foreigners. There's interest but not enough.
Old 18 Aug 2016, 12:29 (Ref:3666336)   #29
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
If someone can find a better translation, feel free to post it, but Dr. Ullrich from Audi Sport rips on Indy for the WEC and Formula 1/FOM/FIA on possible LM/F1 date conflicts:

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/b...-16081503.html
Old 18 Aug 2016, 12:54 (Ref:3666338)   #30
Ephaeton
Veteran

Austria
Between Österreichring and Nordschleife
Ephaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
After reading [suffering through] the automated translation, I thought I'd offer a manual translation of mine instead. So this is what he said...

...About race tracks: "Montreal isn't an issue at the moment in my opinion. Indy was being looked at, whether we could go there. But we'd have to revisit the issue. It isn't that great of a track. It bears a great name, but the track itself... this infield - no thank you"

...About the calendar: "A preliminary calendar should be available during the FIA World council in september. But as long as Bernie is juggling with the F1 calendar, ours won't be set. And he likes changing [it]." ([It is to be expected to come to a clash between F1 and Le Mans]) "It always depends on which track the F1 shows up for the Le Mans date. If they drove in Monaco, that would [suck], but that is no real danger. We know that Le Mans will always be happening during the 24th weekend of the year. That will never collide with Monte Carlo. Le Mans only might move if the French Open in Roland Garros change their date - there's an indirect connection.

This is simply due to the security personnel, i.e., the police. They cannot do two events with the prestige and reach of Roland Garros and Le Mans directly following each other. They need at least ten days to move the people [between the events]. I always wondered about these indirect connections, but now I understand them - and it explains a lot. If you are asking a police officer in Le Mans for the way, you'll always hear 'I'm from Lyon, I'm from Marseille' so they won't help you - they don't know themselves"
Old 18 Aug 2016, 13:00 (Ref:3666339)   #31
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Ullrich quotes:

"We`re expecting nine races again, it will likely be the same venues."

"Montreal is not on the agenda if you ask me. Indianapolis has been looked at, we would have to talk about that first though, the track isn't really awesome. Indianapolis has a big name but the track itself...that infield - No!"

"The calendar proposal should be on the agenda at the FIA council summit in September. But as long as Bernie keeps changing the F1 calendar, our calendar can't be confirmed. And he loves changes!"

"It always depends on which venue F1 is racing at during Le Mans. It would be unforuntate if they would be racing in Monaco at the time, but there's no danger of that happening. We know Le Mans always happens on the 24th weekend of the year, and that will never collide with Monaco."

"The Le Mans date will only be moved if the Roland Garros (French Open tennis in Paris) date would be changing, because there is an indirect connection due to the police. The French police can't cope with both Roland Garros and Le Mans back to back, they need at least ten days to move people around. I've always wondered about these circumstances but now I understand, and it explains a lot. If you ask a policeman in Le Mans for directions, he'll tell you "I'm from Lyon, or I'm from Marseille". That's not helpful, they don't know their way around there".
Old 18 Aug 2016, 13:04 (Ref:3666340)   #32
Ephaeton
Veteran

Austria
Ephaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
now we only need one more german(-speaking) to translate this on their own so interested parties can do a proper majority vote pick on non-aligning translations
Old 18 Aug 2016, 13:49 (Ref:3666349)   #33
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
If someone can find a better translation, feel free to post it, but Dr. Ullrich from Audi Sport rips on Indy for the WEC and Formula 1/FOM/FIA on possible LM/F1 date conflicts:

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/b...-16081503.html
So far a crappy track lay out has not been an issue with WEC so why expect something else with Indy? The place is simply to big of a pull to say no to - if IMS wants to come up with the sanctioning fee and both of them (IMS and WEC) can find a date that works mutually. It'll hardly matter what Audi's sport chef thinks of it.

And yes, the place would look empty, never mind a large portion of the 400.000 seats are on the back side of the oval track only used for the 500.
Old 18 Aug 2016, 13:57 (Ref:3666351)   #34
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
When you consider that NASCAR has had trouble since at least 2008 (Goodyear tire fiasco) packing the stands that they're allowed by IMS to use for that race, IMS probably would want the WEC to race there.

However, I can't see them using the same track that Grand Am used to use. There any big differences between the road courses that GA and Indy Car use?

Also, I do believe that short term the WEC will still pick COTA, in spite of the bad date (start of football season and high heat, even if it's a day into night race) and stagnant attendance.

But then again, IMS hasn't done well with NASCAR attendance since 2008, but they're getting a lot of TV money from NASCAR and NBC. But I can't see the ACO and COTA being able to do the same due to limited TV reach/interest in North America.

Granted, I think that Dr. Ullrich and most of the teams would have no trouble doing Sebring, Road America, Road Atlanta, and other tracks that Audi have raced at in the ALMS days in NA, but the ACO/FIA snobs want pristine facilities for VIPs over having good tracks.
Old 18 Aug 2016, 14:38 (Ref:3666357)   #35
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Attendance is at the bottom of WEC's priority list - together with track lay outs. Outside Europe it's all about the money coughed up by the organizers/tracks and (perhaps) preference of the participating manufacturers. Otherwise you wouldn't have a race in Texas at the start of football season and in such heat. Having the CotA round 2 or 3 weeks earlier won't change a thing, it just shows the indifference towards the US/N-A audience.
Old 18 Aug 2016, 14:54 (Ref:3666363)   #36
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post

And yes, the place would look empty, never mind a large portion of the 400.000 seats are on the back side of the oval track only used for the 500.
I truly think that's more of a deal breaker for the WEC than the actual layout. It just wouldn't make for good images, those giant grandstands being all deserted.

It's not as much "in your face" on modern tracks because the grandstands aren't as much in the picture as they would be in Indy. Just dosen't make for good pictures. Add the fact that the teams seemingly have reservations about the layout it becomes a bitter pill no one is interested to swallow.
Old 18 Aug 2016, 18:36 (Ref:3666414)   #37
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I hope Mexico attracts a good crowd. Not the best layout thanks to the boring stadium section but its unique because the high altitude.
Old 19 Aug 2016, 13:35 (Ref:3666554)   #38
Coach Ep
Veteran

I was pretty stoked last year to watch bits of the F1 events because of the track and the races there back in the day but was mindful because of the Tilke updates to it, needless to say it was a huge letdown seeing the now high number of second gear corners combined with all the paved run off areas. And the stadium section is indeed the cherry on the cake...

As long as the mnfs will fill up the baseball grandstand with their guests (and they will!), it'll look okay on tellie.
Old 19 Aug 2016, 13:44 (Ref:3666559)   #39
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
"Indianapolis has been looked at, we would have to talk about that first though, the track isn't really awesome. Indianapolis has a big name but the track itself...that infield - No!"

As if quality of the track profiles has ever bothered these guys...
Old 19 Aug 2016, 15:49 (Ref:3666596)   #40
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post

Perfect meme. Love that movie.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 19 Aug 2016, 16:18 (Ref:3666603)   #41
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
Perfect meme. Love that movie.
That's me!

I can't wait for the upcoming film version of Disaster Artist. Especially since Tommy has cameo in it, as opposed to the role he played in the film lol.
Old 19 Aug 2016, 16:52 (Ref:3666611)   #42
TF110
Veteran

United States
Since when did the teams decide what track is on the schedule?
Old 19 Aug 2016, 17:18 (Ref:3666617)   #43
Deleted
Veteran

Since Toyota chose Fuji?
Old 19 Aug 2016, 18:29 (Ref:3666623)   #44
Ephaeton
Veteran

Austria
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
They don't, obviously, all Chiana-memes aside.
Doesn't stop a manager from having an opinion, and lobbying for something.
Old 19 Aug 2016, 19:01 (Ref:3666632)   #45
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Probably a good idea to have them involved in the scheduling. Especially the LMP1s who are selling cars. Didn't work out too well for ITC when they went to Brazil, where they didn't even sell Alfas.
Old 20 Aug 2016, 02:07 (Ref:3666680)   #46
TF110
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Since Toyota chose Fuji?
Who chose Bahrain? Input on tracks to run and deciding them are completely different. When you say things like these guys are wanting to run at some of these places I wonder your source?
Old 20 Aug 2016, 02:12 (Ref:3666681)   #47
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Since Toyota chose Fuji?
Toyota probably actually least cares about racing at Fuji, besides picking it over Suzuka (which I don't think is a realistic likelihood for WEC anyways) They're already massively pervasive in that market while it's an important place to advertise for Audi.
Old 20 Aug 2016, 19:44 (Ref:3666769)   #48
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbsmith View Post
Toyota probably actually least cares about racing at Fuji, besides picking it over Suzuka (which I don't think is a realistic likelihood for WEC anyways) They're already massively pervasive in that market while it's an important place to advertise for Audi.
WEC round at Suzuka would be mega.
Old 21 Aug 2016, 17:11 (Ref:3666900)   #49
Artur
Veteran

Artur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I hope Mexico attracts a good crowd.
I hope not. Worst layout out there of all tracks that I can think of(maybe Chengdu would be a contender)

Btw, this Mexico motorsport fever will go away as soon as their F1 drivers are out of that series. Then, it's all back to what it was there regarding motorsport interest

Quote:
I'm glad he shares my opinion about the whole thing even if it means nothing when it comes to the actual decisions taken by FIA/ACO

If RA(and etc) isn't an option, then I prefer the event on CotA than on Indy, so the next year season won't be too bad if it stays the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
WEC round at Suzuka would be mega.
agree but it belongs to Honda, so, it's not gonna happen.....
Old 21 Aug 2016, 18:09 (Ref:3666906)   #50
TF110
Veteran

United States
Mexico is a better layout than the average tilke tracks. I don't like the stadium section but it's a high speed track which is great for lmp cars.