Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 1 Dec 2016, 16:56 (Ref:3692739)   #1576
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Some attractive people there at petit....

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Damn right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Just as much a Corvette as this, and no one seemed to mind this one!
Goodwrench Chevrolets = Good
Old 1 Dec 2016, 17:43 (Ref:3692744)   #1577
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
There was no internet yet for us to complain on.
Old 1 Dec 2016, 17:43 (Ref:3692745)   #1578
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Nice car, poor name, we had to put up with the name to get the car (money). But - totally aside from the point of my post.
Old 1 Dec 2016, 19:44 (Ref:3692780)   #1579
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanky Turtle View Post
Looks good to me.

Looks like a Caddy to me.
Old 1 Dec 2016, 19:56 (Ref:3692782)   #1580
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Honestly, I dare to say the DP had more right to the Corvette name than the GTP did. At least the DP had a booming V8 inside it!

And I say that as someone who's favorite GTP car was the Corvette. Someday I hope to have enough money to buy a Mongoose GTP.
Old 1 Dec 2016, 20:00 (Ref:3692783)   #1581
blankfile
Racer

blankfile should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
Honestly, I dare to say the DP had more right to the Corvette name than the GTP did. At least the DP had a booming V8 inside it!

And I say that as someone who's favorite GTP car was the Corvette. Someday I hope to have enough money to buy a Mongoose GTP.
eum the gtp corvette also had a V8, it used 2 different engines irc
Old 1 Dec 2016, 20:04 (Ref:3692787)   #1582
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by blankfile View Post
Started as a turbo six.
Old 1 Dec 2016, 20:20 (Ref:3692797)   #1583
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Pros for the Corvette GTP vs Corvette DP:

At least it had a monocoque chassis instead of the DP's tube frame chassis (in broad terms, the DP tube chassis were heavily modified Trans Am/IMSA GTO chassis with mid mounted engines vs front engines and inboard mounted push rod suspension. In deeper detail, DPs were--at least the Riley Tech cars--Riley R&S MkIIIs with roofs, which the MkIII was based partly on Riley's work on Trans Am cars--nothing wrong with that; if you know it and can use it to make an effective machine, use it. But, IMO, DPs were still technologically out of date with the similarly expensive SR/LMP cars they replaced).

Private teams did run small block Chevy V8s in them.

Cons:

In reality, it was no more relevant to a Corvette road car than the DP was.

The "factory" Hendrick Motorsports cars had the Falconer built Buick V6 turbo in them until HMS' dying days in IMSA, when they switched to the SBC for that car's final races.
Old 1 Dec 2016, 20:27 (Ref:3692799)   #1584
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by blankfile View Post
It only used the V8 the last two seasons it ran(88 and 89), and never did anything of note with it. The car ran the bulk of it's life(84-87), and took both of it's wins, with a turbocharged Buick V6.

A test chassis had a V8 for the entirety of the car's life, but as the term implies it was a testing-only vehicle(for things like a Lotus-designed active suspension system which sadly never made it to the racecar).
Old 1 Dec 2016, 20:27 (Ref:3692800)   #1585
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Also, the Cadillac DPI is a bit of a let down. It's not a bad looking car, but the Dallara heritage is pretty clear, especially from the side. But that's also like saying that the Dallara itself is largely a cheap knock off of the Porsche 919 with Oreca 05 headlights on it. Granted, though it's not a huge job (Dallara made it easy for Cadillac, after all), it's a big improvement on the Dallara. It's sort of like comparing a AK-47 to a IWI Galil/Galil Ace or a Valmet/Sako RK62 or RK62/M76. Clear heritage, but still a big improvement over the original.

But then again, you can't make an apples to apples comparison to IMSA and the WEC due to different rules sets for their top prototype class, different venues, and different fan bases (even if there is a sizable cross over for the latter). Also, LMP1 teams build their whole cars from scratch, instead of taking an off the shelf chassis and modifying that to a team's needs.

That's why we actually need IMSA GTP, Group C and LMP900/675 back. More variety, more creatively on the part of the teams, etc.
Old 1 Dec 2016, 20:39 (Ref:3692802)   #1586
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Looks like a Caddy to me.
Maybe I'm not seeing the right features.

Here's what I see that looks like Cadillac:
The side headlight LED.
Stickers
Advertising

It's definitely a good looking car. Though I would hesitate to say it's a Cadillac looking car.

Now I really want to see the Nissan that they were told to try again lol.
Old 1 Dec 2016, 22:14 (Ref:3692824)   #1587
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Some attractive people there at petit....

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
I smell corndogs and gumbo. Do y'all smell that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post

Private teams did run small block Chevy V8s in them.
It's been a long time since I referenced my GTP book, but I think there was a big block version as well. I think I remember that because was the last big block sportscar ever.

Quote:
It only used the V8 the last two seasons it ran(88 and 89), and never did anything of note with it. The car ran the bulk of it's life(84-87), and took both of it's wins, with a turbocharged Buick V6.
I believe that was a Vortec not a 3800 (not that there is a gigantic difference in overall design). Vortecs are monster little turbo motors.
Old 1 Dec 2016, 22:15 (Ref:3692825)   #1588
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Again, we don't know which was designed first.

If the Cadillac was designed first, then then Dallara off that, it paints a very different picture.
Old 1 Dec 2016, 22:16 (Ref:3692826)   #1589
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
Maybe I'm not seeing the right features.

Here's what I see that looks like Cadillac:
The side headlight LED.
Stickers
Advertising

It's definitely a good looking car. Though I would hesitate to say it's a Cadillac looking car.

Now I really want to see the Nissan that they were told to try again lol.
I think there are some subtle changes to the sidepods and nose that don't come through in the rendering. We should be able to tell more once the camo comes off.
Old 2 Dec 2016, 00:37 (Ref:3692851)   #1590
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

A test chassis had a V8 for the entirety of the car's life, but as the term implies it was a testing-only vehicle(for things like a Lotus-designed active suspension system which sadly never made it to the racecar).
Here is the detail of all races of the Corvette GTP and the engines used.
http://www.racingsportscars.com/type...tte%20GTP.html
Old 2 Dec 2016, 01:10 (Ref:3692855)   #1591
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post

Thanks! The big block is the very last one on that list. 10.2L! That'll get it done. I think that's a 632ci.
Old 2 Dec 2016, 01:56 (Ref:3692865)   #1592
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Thanks! The big block is the very last one on that list. 10.2L! That'll get it done. I think that's a 632ci.
Yes the car raced the 24 hours of Le Mans 1990 with the 10.2L!
http://www.racingsportscars.com/chas...8811-HU01.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Corvette_GTP
Old 2 Dec 2016, 03:02 (Ref:3692881)   #1593
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
IMSA should add 10.2L V8s to their current approved list. I wonder how much that thing weighed?

Quote:
Old 2 Dec 2016, 04:52 (Ref:3692890)   #1594
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
IMSA should add 10.2L V8s to their current approved list. I wonder how much that thing weighed?
normally aspirated, or twin turbos?
Old 2 Dec 2016, 05:52 (Ref:3692892)   #1595
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Interesting. I was legitimately unaware that it initially debuted with the V8. The V6 really overshadowed it.
Old 2 Dec 2016, 05:55 (Ref:3692893)   #1596
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
I believe that was a Vortec not a 3800 (not that there is a gigantic difference in overall design). Vortecs are monster little turbo motors.
Indeed. It's believed the Corvette GTP had the most powerful engine on the grid in 1986.

That was also it's biggest problem, though - it had quite a few reliability issues. They were squeezing out a lot more power than the engine could handle to try and make up for some cornering deficiencies(the car was built on a Lola design from 82/83, and the suspension had barely been developed at all since then).
Old 2 Dec 2016, 14:47 (Ref:3693054)   #1597
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
And was the rest of the car just a gas tank to fuel the thing?!
Old 2 Dec 2016, 15:01 (Ref:3693061)   #1598
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Great resource!

Here's what Doc Bundy said about the Corvette. I think he was driving the V6 Turbo version (it was driven by Dallenbach and Bundy at Daytona 24).

"Cyber: On a different subject. Last week I was telling someone that the fastest car that I ever saw at a specific point on the track at Road Atlanta was the Corvette GTP and you were driving it.

Doc: Was it right before the dip?

Cyber: Yes.

Doc: That car... We were here testing and I wondered how fast it was really going. So they said, "Give us the tach reading through there and we will figure it out." That car didn't have what we have today in a dash that actually gives us a speed readout. At that time, we didn't have those electronics. So, I gave him the RPM reading... 7200, 7400 or whatever it was when I came in during testing to make a change. So, I gave it to him and he said he would figure it out and I went back out. When we took a break, I asked him, "Did you ever have a chance to calculate the speed?" He said, "Yeah, you were going 208 mph!" I said to him, "I think I would rather not have known that!"

Because, I would never have believed that a car could run over 200 mph through there. Especially not a big car and it was a relatively big car. An open-wheel car, yes, but not a big car. Yes, that car was VERY fast!

Cyber: I must of saw you when you were doing those laps because you were flying!

Doc: That was an impressive car.

Brian Faulkner, who built the engine, during the past couple of years, I have asked him, "Brian, you would never tell us how much horsepower it developed." He said, "Often, you would not let me turn it up." It was not the best handling car and we just couldn't handle all the power that it had. But occasionally, we would turn it up. Brian said, "In qualifying, you were at 1200+ horsepower and over 900 hp in the races."

It was a powerful car!

Cyber: So that speed of 208 mph, how does that compare to the what the Jaguar XJR-14, the Nissans and Toyotas were doing through there?

Doc: One thing about the Corvette is that it handled high speed very well. At Daytona once, when we were there testing, I said, "Let's figure out how fast we are going." There, we hit 240 mph! The car was very fast in a straight line. At the test, Wally Dallenbach was there with me. Before he got in, I said, "Wally, this car is very fast." Wally looked at me and said something like, "Doc, I have been in fast cars before" and he took off. When he came in, I opened the door and Wally's eyes were as big as saucers. He grabbed my arm, starting shaking it and said, "This sucker is FAST! This sucker is FAST!"

So, yes, that car was very fast."
- Doc Bundy
Old 2 Dec 2016, 15:51 (Ref:3693085)   #1599
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
More images of the Dallaralac.

Old 2 Dec 2016, 16:44 (Ref:3693105)   #1600
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I still don't understand the dazzleflauge camo they use. It doesn't work.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”