Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Mar 2017, 15:54 (Ref:3717805)   #1
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
RIP John Surtees

The great MV Augusta motorcycle champion and Ferrari F1 world champion has died. Such a sad day.
Old 10 Mar 2017, 16:10 (Ref:3717812)   #2
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Someone that when I read anything regarding international motorsports from the postwar era, he was in there. Not only included, but winning.

A true legend. Rest easy Mr. Surtees.
Old 10 Mar 2017, 16:12 (Ref:3717814)   #3
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
I believe he remains the only one to win major titles on both 2 and 4 wheels. And a class act all the way around. A legend.
Old 10 Mar 2017, 16:16 (Ref:3717815)   #4
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
That he died without being knighted is a great shame. Motorcycle world champion; Formula 1 world champion; team owner; safety campaigner. What more does it take?
Old 10 Mar 2017, 16:26 (Ref:3717818)   #5
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
RIP
Old 10 Mar 2017, 17:04 (Ref:3717829)   #6
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just a reminder, this man was also the first Can Am drivers champion in 1966, beating the likes of Donahue/Penske, McLaren,Amon/McLaren, Hall,Hill/Chaparral and Gurney/All American.
Old 10 Mar 2017, 17:09 (Ref:3717830)   #7
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He didn't need a Knighthood, he was great regardless. R.I.P., a true great.

Bradly Wiggins has a Knighthood so it's a meaningless gong.
Old 10 Mar 2017, 17:43 (Ref:3717839)   #8
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It is a shame he didn't have a knighthood.

Farewell to a great champion, on both two wheels and four. Him and Henry are now reunited
Old 10 Mar 2017, 17:55 (Ref:3717844)   #9
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
R.I.P., I was privileged to meet Big John many years ago.
Old 10 Mar 2017, 18:11 (Ref:3717846)   #10
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
A sad loss of one of the REAL greats of racing
Old 10 Mar 2017, 18:55 (Ref:3717853)   #11
sparkione
Racer

England
Oxfordshire
sparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm heartbroken to hear that we've lost Big John. The scandal of his never having received the knighthood he deserved, whilst any number of vapid bicyclists with dubious medicinal habits were so honoured, will now exist in perpetuity. 28 years ago, he presented me with my trophy for winning the class in my historic race series and it was one of the most memorable, and humbling, experiences of my life. Just another of the things I don't understand about our modern world... RIP John.
Old 10 Mar 2017, 18:57 (Ref:3717854)   #12
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Is there a chance you could edit the header to include his Christian name!!
Old 10 Mar 2017, 19:02 (Ref:3717858)   #13
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
How very sad, RIP John Surtees...
Old 10 Mar 2017, 19:04 (Ref:3717859)   #14
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Is there a chance you could edit the header to include his Christian name!!
Done ...
Old 10 Mar 2017, 19:13 (Ref:3717864)   #15
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkione View Post
I'm heartbroken to hear that we've lost Big John. The scandal of his never having received the knighthood he deserved, whilst any number of vapid bicyclists with dubious medicinal habits were so honoured, will now exist in perpetuity. 28 years ago, he presented me with my trophy for winning the class in my historic race series and it was one of the most memorable, and humbling, experiences of my life. Just another of the things I don't understand about our modern world... RIP John.
Not everybody wants to be knighted, and it is in their gift to refuse it. I would suggest that he was possibly one of those that felt that they didn't need a title to enhance their reputation.
Old 10 Mar 2017, 19:28 (Ref:3717868)   #16
Nikki Katz
Racer

Nikki Katz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's sad, poor guy
Old 10 Mar 2017, 21:01 (Ref:3717889)   #17
sublimao
Rookie

Italy
Alassio Italian Riviera
sublimao should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm glad I shook his hand at Goodwood FOS 2013. A true racer a fine gentleman. RIP
Old 10 Mar 2017, 22:30 (Ref:3717900)   #18
greentrumpet
Racer

greentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgreentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Only met him once, a true gent. A genius on 2 and 4 wheels. I hope he was offered a knighthood, he certainly deserved the greatest honours his country could give him.
If he turned them down is that any wonder, given that Savile was knighted and Archer made a Lord?
He deserved better than most who receive these honours. Bless him and his friends and family.
Old 10 Mar 2017, 23:37 (Ref:3717908)   #19
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
I'm sure John was greeted with a big warm hug from Henry at the door. Team Surtees is back together. Condolences to the family and friends.

May you race in peace.
Old 11 Mar 2017, 02:59 (Ref:3717921)   #20
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
What a fine man. RIP.
Old 11 Mar 2017, 07:48 (Ref:3717929)   #21
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
I'm sure John was greeted with a big warm hug from Henry at the door. Team Surtees is back together. Condolences to the family and friends.

May you race in peace.
Well put! RIP John.
Old 11 Mar 2017, 17:11 (Ref:3718008)   #22
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
saw this pic and video on Reddit today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp7M...ature=youtu.be

not having grown up in that era, it just boggles my mind that anyone drove cars like that....4 wheels was literally just that, 4 wheels.

much respect. RIP!
Old 17 Mar 2017, 18:47 (Ref:3719449)   #23
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A bit late, I know - but RIP John. A true great in motorsport and a worthy WDC on both 2 and 4 wheels.