Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 25 Mar 2017, 20:05 (Ref:3721476)   #1026
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post

Gerard is right - 3D printers do take a bit of learning but they're a lot of fun.
As to Iain having a day free to learn about it...
I can imagine...... Very impressed, BTW!
Old 25 Mar 2017, 20:10 (Ref:3721477)   #1027
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Pretty sure this is the one. Early Peugeot Partner van wheel centre cap . No more on the subject from me in case it drives bauble to desperate measures.....
No! No! Mike I am absolutely fascinated. Why my book Facts and Fantasy About Peugeot Plastic Hub Caps has proved a best seller in Azerbaijan, is a Djibouti Times book of the year, and is sold out in Northern Tibet, where the local monks have taken to reading it instead of the Dolly Lambas treaties on Self flagellation.

Volume 2 is almost ready for sale following enormous pressure from the publishers, and should be out any day sometime, it contains thousand of previously unpublished pictures of plastic hub caps with some amazing detail showing little lions stamped into the plastic.

A foreword by a leading expert on Peugeot plastic hub caps is a must read, for any dedicated enthusiast or collector of Peugeot Plastic, Van Hub Caps.

Nurse, nurse where are the pills ......................
Old 25 Mar 2017, 20:20 (Ref:3721480)   #1028
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Nurse, nurse where are the pills

Did you say "self flagellation" then?
Old 25 Mar 2017, 20:23 (Ref:3721481)   #1029
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Can't resist- https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=31JnhQU6Zgc

Although not the best known from Alan I like it because it could be us in the early 50s... Yes, we had a binder, and horses before the first tractor! (Christened 'Smoky Joe' ) There are more of his songs if you look, including the more well known "Hev yew gotta loight boy"......

That's difficult to type with spellcheck!
I've got Alan Smethurst's autograph - do you think it would be worth a lot?

Got it when he opened a fete in Heacham.
Old 25 Mar 2017, 20:27 (Ref:3721482)   #1030
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I can imagine...... Very impressed, BTW!
The printer we bought cost just £320. I had to assemble and calibrate it but it works fine, albeit a bit slowly. I was casting envious glances at a £3000 printer the other day which does everything better, faster and bigger than the modest one we own but fortunately came to my senses in time...
Old 25 Mar 2017, 20:38 (Ref:3721485)   #1031
relativtortoise
Racer

relativtortoise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Can't resist- https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=31JnhQU6Zgc

Although not the best known from Alan I like it because it could be us in the early 50s... Yes, we had a binder, and horses before the first tractor! (Christened 'Smoky Joe' ) There are more of his songs if you look, including the more well known "Hev yew gotta loight boy"......

That's difficult to type with spellcheck!
The world needs some Dick Joice from the archives Mike - then they will understand
Old 25 Mar 2017, 21:15 (Ref:3721493)   #1032
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I have been sorting out my music collection and I have a number of CD's to dispose of;

Five Jerry Lee Lewis, and a couple of Bill Haley, and two compilations of Rock'n'Roll, Rockabilly.

Free to good homes, so if you are a child of the 1950's and thought Dickie Valentine a drag, then rock on kid.

Homespun Norfolk ditties!! Huh!

Wild Bob Bauble. Yee Ha!
Old 25 Mar 2017, 22:20 (Ref:3721500)   #1033
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
I have been sorting out my music collection and I have a number of CD's to dispose of;

Five Jerry Lee Lewis, and a couple of Bill Haley, and two compilations of Rock'n'Roll, Rockabilly.

Free to good homes, so if you are a child of the 1950's and thought Dickie Valentine a drag, then rock on kid.

Homespun Norfolk ditties!! Huh!

Wild Bob Bauble. Yee Ha!
Do they not give you wheelie bins for your rubbish in Luton Baub
Old 25 Mar 2017, 22:54 (Ref:3721502)   #1034
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A friend of mine is using a 3D printer commercially for kart spares and tools. Took him a long time to learn but is well worth the effort

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 25 Mar 2017, 22:54 (Ref:3721503)   #1035
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
You mean shoe storage bins. That explains why he can't find them.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 25 Mar 2017, 23:09 (Ref:3721505)   #1036
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Nice parts Alan, what kind of material are you using for those, special plastic may be? Its the first time I see middle size ones done. I mean as far as classic cars are concerned people machine either dash buttons (Bakelite replica for Panhard's or Peugeot's 203, 403…) or complete dash boards.
Our markets are in no way comparable unfortunately. We have to face people who abuse when they have hard to find parts for sale (NOS or not). Hope this kind of machine will calm down some and bring back the market to the level it should have kept. Hope this makes sens !
The material those parts are made from is PLA, a long-term biodegradable thermoplastic. PLA is the most common material used on 3D printers but ABS, PVA, HIPS etc etc are also possible. However, each one of them has its own learning curve and the lower-cost printers can't cope with all of them.
Old 26 Mar 2017, 07:04 (Ref:3721554)   #1037
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
That, Mr Falce is fighting talk.
Old 26 Mar 2017, 09:03 (Ref:3721583)   #1038
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Alan, please correct me if wrong but I saw some parts done with really complicated forms, internal and exterior. Bearing in mind that it has to see with the computer-man skills! Depending on the size and stench of the 3D device, can some metal parts be machined too?
Old 26 Mar 2017, 09:36 (Ref:3721590)   #1039
Alan Morgan
Veteran

It's possible to make all sorts of things which would be impossible by conventional methods as the printing process means that the interior of an object is accessible whilst it is being built up. As for different materials, it's still a relatively young technology but sintered metal parts, carbon-reinforced parts and even chocolate objects can be made with the appropriate hardware. Have a look on the Thingiverse website for examples.

Most of the parts I've made so far I've designed on Solidworks.
Old 26 Mar 2017, 11:20 (Ref:3721606)   #1040
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If you have ever watched the TV series about Professor Fitzpatrick, the vet at Fitzpatrick Referrals, he has artificial skeletal parts made for him using 3D printing, both in metal and composite materials.

It is quite amazing how he has integrated the imagery from his CT scanning machinery into the computer that controls the 3D printers which do not even belong to his practice, but are at a remote engineering company in London, I believe.

If you get a chance to watch one of the programmes, you will appreciate that the veterinary practices are, in some circumstances, in advance of human medical science.
Old 26 Mar 2017, 11:32 (Ref:3721612)   #1041
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
If you get a chance to watch one of the programmes, you will appreciate that the veterinary practices are, in some circumstances, in advance of human medical science.
Yes Mike one of my Yorkies was run over by a horse and needed surgery. Instead of screws the vet glued one metal plate to secure her pelvis avoiding an intrusive solution. As you say the plate was made with 3D technology.
Old 26 Mar 2017, 21:56 (Ref:3721696)   #1042
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
The material those parts are made from is PLA, a long-term biodegradable thermoplastic. PLA is the most common material used on 3D printers but ABS, PVA, HIPS etc etc are also possible. However, each one of them has its own learning curve and the lower-cost printers can't cope with all of them.
Alan,

What is considered to be "long-term" in this context?

Do the parts need to be date marked somehow?
Old 27 Mar 2017, 06:20 (Ref:3721759)   #1043
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
If you have ever watched the TV series about Professor Fitzpatrick, the vet at Fitzpatrick Referrals, he has artificial skeletal parts made for him using 3D printing, both in metal and composite materials.

It is quite amazing how he has integrated the imagery from his CT scanning machinery into the computer that controls the 3D printers which do not even belong to his practice, but are at a remote engineering company in London, I believe.

One of the best programs on TV.Such an incredibly caring guy as well as a brilliant surgeon.
Old 27 Mar 2017, 07:00 (Ref:3721765)   #1044
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Alan,

What is considered to be "long-term" in this context?

Do the parts need to be date marked somehow?
Apparently, in a typical landfill it would take several hundred years. It can be made to biodegrade much faster in the right conditions, one of which is temperatures above 140 degrees celsius.
Old 27 Mar 2017, 15:25 (Ref:3721889)   #1045
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Apparently, in a typical landfill it would take several hundred years. It can be made to biodegrade much faster in the right conditions, one of which is temperatures above 140 degrees celsius.
Ah, so not too relevant for either Historic verification paperwork or racing in rather warm climes.

Hopefully.

I wonder who will be the first to attempt a 3D print of a particularly awkward exhaust system? (without reading about the potential constraints.)

Old 27 Mar 2017, 15:59 (Ref:3721899)   #1046
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
It can be made to biodegrade much faster in the right conditions, one of which is temperatures above 140 degrees celsius.
As in- 'melt' by the sound of it!
Old 27 Mar 2017, 17:53 (Ref:3721919)   #1047
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I've just been called disrespectful, there is a FB page for our town (Eltham SE London) and the latest topic of consternation is the recent £6M revamp, basically they've nicked a load of road and made it into pavement and painted some pretty weird masonic type symbols in the road in places.

Sooo, I goes on the page today and say " I went up there today and i will now admit that it is a vast improvement. The pavements are wider so no getting stuck behind wombles or dawdling PIA groups of mums with push chairs blocking everything". seems I am now enemy No.1 as the page is run by PIA mums.
Old 27 Mar 2017, 18:34 (Ref:3721936)   #1048
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
For the uneducated, what is a PIA person?
Old 27 Mar 2017, 19:00 (Ref:3721944)   #1049
midgetman
Veteran

Pain In the A***

On BBC4 now, 20:00 hours, John Surtees followed by Tommy Byrne
Old 27 Mar 2017, 19:12 (Ref:3721950)   #1050
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
For the uneducated, what is a PIA person?
Should really have been PITA pain in the arse.
I then asked for her address so I could send her a sense of humour pill.
I've since left the group.
Closed Thread