Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 13 Apr 2017, 17:17 (Ref:3726154)   #1
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Ginetta LMP1

I think with the new information available today about the pricing for the new Ginetta LMP1 car, it's safe to say this car isn't vaporware. So I thought a new thread for this car specifically would be a good idea. We could talk about this car and everything that goes with it here.

Official Name- TBD

Pricing- £1.34 million ($1.67 million) for the rolling chassis and electronics, with the engine lease and full technical support an additional £594,000 ($744,282) per year sportscar365, dailysportscar

Engine- 3.4-liter V6 turbo from Mecachrome sportscar365

Teams- TBD

Official Images- 3D Printed model

Youtube video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuh7oHNi4qo

(Mods, if you could keep this title post alive as new information comes out, that would be greatly appreciated!)

Last edited by TF110; 13 Apr 2017 at 17:26.
Old 13 Apr 2017, 17:32 (Ref:3726160)   #2
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post

Pricing- £1.34 million ($1.67 million) for the rolling chassis
Very reasonably priced - I'll take two!
Old 13 Apr 2017, 17:34 (Ref:3726164)   #3
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I REALLY hope this car is a success. I don't mean sells well, I mean is actually a good car. The problems of the LMP3 cannot crop up again. It's hard being a Ginetta fan at times, but I hope they nail this one.

Oh, and buy Silverstone too please. That'd be awesome.
Old 13 Apr 2017, 17:39 (Ref:3726168)   #4
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if memory helps, 2.4 $ mlns is more expensive than what rebellion used to spend for one of their lola-tmg (arx-03 was more expensive >3 $ mlns).

Honestly, I think that a private lmp1 package shouldn't cost more than 1-1.25 $ mlns to be sustanaible. Just today new and cheaper lmp2 specs shown to be 2 seconds faster than the old R-one already...
Old 13 Apr 2017, 17:46 (Ref:3726169)   #5
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
This quote has me intrigued

Quote:
“By putting the price of £594,000 [for the engine lease], that’s the technical support, all the running through testing and the season. It’s an all-in cost.”
Does that include spares and the like? I wonder if that's "technical support"?
Old 13 Apr 2017, 17:50 (Ref:3726172)   #6
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
guess it means ginetta engineers and personnel who teach team guys how to set at best each car component and will take care the car outside races as oreca and onroak do with most of the team using thier cars.
Old 13 Apr 2017, 18:30 (Ref:3726180)   #7
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That's a lot of cash for a car that looks to be about 18" long.
Old 13 Apr 2017, 18:32 (Ref:3726181)   #8
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
An ready-to-race LMP1 for just shy of £2,000,000 in an age of 8-9 figure factory outfits is quite a stark contrast. I do hope this has been costed out conservatively so that Ginetta aren't reliant on a glut of orders to balance the books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I REALLY hope this car is a success. I don't mean sells well, I mean is actually a good car. The problems of the LMP3 cannot crop up again. It's hard being a Ginetta fan at times, but I hope they nail this one.
Bingo. Ginetta took a beating over the Juno that simply cannot be repeated. The fact they've committed to LMP1 privateer shows their passion (and why I also am pulling for them), now let's see it backed up with technical excellence.
Old 13 Apr 2017, 18:58 (Ref:3726185)   #9
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The latest report on DSC has Ginetta suggesting that 6 cars is the figure needed to make the project a (financial) success.
Old 13 Apr 2017, 19:03 (Ref:3726188)   #10
TF110
Veteran

United States
With all the interest they claimed, maybe it is a viable business for them. The biggest one being Manor, I hope they succeed.
Old 14 Apr 2017, 00:49 (Ref:3726243)   #11
Ospi
Veteran

Ospi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOspi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The engine package deal is interesting, that's an awful lot of money for what's actually quite a standard engine package. Does it include the rebuild costs which would have to occur at least once during the season? Does it include a spare engine which will be a necessity? What about the gearbox & bellhousing? Still not enough info yet but that cost definitely caught my interest so I'm keen to know all the details which that cost accounts for.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 14 Apr 2017, 05:16 (Ref:3726252)   #12
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
This quote has me intrigued

Does that include spares and the like? I wonder if that's "technical support"?
No, besides engineering assistance it's for having the parts on site so you can buy them when you need them instead of shipping 4 races worth of spares around the world on your own like you would have to otherwise. Remember in WEC you get things like a car crashing at Fuji and the team not having the parts on hand to repair it for Bahrain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ospi View Post
The engine package deal is interesting, that's an awful lot of money for what's actually quite a standard engine package. Does it include the rebuild costs which would have to occur at least once during the season? Does it include a spare engine which will be a necessity? What about the gearbox & bellhousing? Still not enough info yet but that cost definitely caught my interest so I'm keen to know all the details which that cost accounts for.
IndyCar engine leases are a manufacturer subsidized $1m and they do well under 35 race hours. WEC is 72 race hours.

Another way to look at it is the old LMP2 engines are cost capped at 86,778EUR and if you are doing LMP1 seriously you are probably using 10+ engines now that they have no engine usage regulations. (one for each race and another for Le Mans practice and qualifying)
Old 14 Apr 2017, 05:57 (Ref:3726263)   #13
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post

Oh, and buy Silverstone too please. That'd be awesome.
Agree, would be good to see them succeed with this car.

Silverstone sale was off the table a while back, after the BRDC decided to continue alone. Meanwhile, Ginetta bought their own test track....

http://www.blytonpark.co.uk/news-archive/
Old 14 Apr 2017, 06:59 (Ref:3726269)   #14
Ospi
Veteran

Ospi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOspi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbsmith View Post
No, besides engineering assistance it's for having the parts on site so you can buy them when you need them instead of shipping 4 races worth of spares around the world on your own like you would have to otherwise. Remember in WEC you get things like a car crashing at Fuji and the team not having the parts on hand to repair it for Bahrain.

IndyCar engine leases are a manufacturer subsidized $1m and they do well under 35 race hours. WEC is 72 race hours.

Another way to look at it is the old LMP2 engines are cost capped at 86,778EUR and if you are doing LMP1 seriously you are probably using 10+ engines now that they have no engine usage regulations. (one for each race and another for Le Mans practice and qualifying)
The engine isn't overly complicated though and shouldn't require rebuilds more than a current P2 unit. If that cost does include what's basically an entire package for a season which includes the rebuilds and spares then I can see the cost being reasonable, and you would have to assume it does given the nature of the press release which seems to cover a seasons cost.

Old 14 Apr 2017, 07:39 (Ref:3726273)   #15
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

Official Images- 3D Printed model
Nice Dallara...
Old 14 Apr 2017, 07:49 (Ref:3726274)   #16
canaglia
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ospi View Post
The engine isn't overly complicated though and shouldn't require rebuilds more than a current P2 unit. If that cost does include what's basically an entire package for a season which includes the rebuilds and spares then I can see the cost being reasonable, and you would have to assume it does given the nature of the press release which seems to cover a seasons cost.

does anybody know the price of the gibson leasing and if oreca/oak/dallara/riley new lmp2 chassis have a cost cap?
Old 14 Apr 2017, 07:51 (Ref:3726275)   #17
canaglia
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Nice Dallara...
yeah.... considering that SMP lmp1 too will be based on dallara lmp2
Old 14 Apr 2017, 09:19 (Ref:3726289)   #18
silente
Racer

silente should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Nice Dallara...

= Nice 2014-2015 Porsche 919!
Old 14 Apr 2017, 13:42 (Ref:3726361)   #19
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
So another addition to LMP1 hopefully, the more the merrier. I wish whoever runs it all the best
Old 14 Apr 2017, 16:47 (Ref:3726401)   #20
TF110
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
yeah.... considering that SMP lmp1 too will be based on dallara lmp2
Dallara claim there's no relation. We'll see though. As long as there's new competitive lmp1's, to me it doesn't matter. Lets just hope they go for a different color scheme than red white and black
Old 14 Apr 2017, 17:00 (Ref:3726409)   #21
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Lets just hope they go for a different color scheme than red white and black
Quite. I was starting to think it was a regulation.....
Old 14 Apr 2017, 17:09 (Ref:3726411)   #22
canaglia
Veteran

Quote:
Dallara claim there's no relation. We'll see though. As long as there's new competitive lmp1's, to me it doesn't matter. Lets just hope they go for a different color scheme than red white and black

question is: will ginetta or smp lmp1 be as fast as lmp2? (considering that in 2018 will improve at least 1 second at silverstone?)

what's the deal then to pay 3x for a package that at worst must to run in 1.42
Old 15 Apr 2017, 09:44 (Ref:3726536)   #23
silente
Racer

silente should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If they manage to stay at the minimum LMP1-NH allowed weight and have approximately a similar downforce package compared to current p2, they can be much quicker. It would be 100 kg less. This is more than 3 seconds in certain tracks...

Theoretically the rules should help them now, at least being quicker than the LMP2 field.

The engine should also have at least a bit more power than the Gibson...hopefully it will work out!
Old 18 Apr 2017, 21:51 (Ref:3727644)   #24
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The car will weight 750 kg, which must be ballasted to minimum weight, allowing an ideal weight distribution .
The Megachrome engine, which is available exclusively in the LMP1 for Ginetta, will be able to beat the performance of the Gibson LMP2 engines, which is 600 HP strong.

http://cms3.gt-eins.at/le-mans-wec/1...a-lmp1-projekt
Old 18 Apr 2017, 22:13 (Ref:3727647)   #25
Jam3s
Racer

Jam3s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
750kg is not easy task, explains the cost of the car a bit better as well considering the materials, design and additional machining time & complexity for a lot of the parts.

If they can reliably achieve 750kg and > 600hp this thing is going to be bloody awesome.