Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Who was the driver of the Spanish Grand Prix in your opinion?
Lewis Hamilton 12 25.00%
Valtteri Bottas 1 2.08%
Sebastian Vettel 1 2.08%
Kimi Räikkönen 9 18.75%
Max Verstappen 0 0%
Daniel Ricciardo 0 0%
Fernando Alonso 3 6.25%
Stoffel Vandoorne 0 0%
Sergio Pérez 2 4.17%
Esteban Ocon 6 12.50%
Felipe Massa 0 0%
Lance Stroll 0 0%
Carlos Sainz 0 0%
Daniil Kvyat 0 0%
Nico Hulkenberg 1 2.08%
Jolyon Palmer 0 0%
Romain Grosjean 0 0%
Kevin Magnussen 0 0%
Pascal Wehrlein 13 27.08%
Marcus Ericsson 0 0%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15 May 2017, 08:52 (Ref:3733580)   #26
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
It wasn't Raikkonen's idea to get that little kid a garage pass. It wasn't Ferrari's either. It was a Liberty Media representative who contacted Ferrari and asked them to act on a great PR opportunity.
Do you have a link confirming this? It is reported as a joint Ferrari/event organisers action

'A social media surge ensued, with organisers and Ferrari quick to react and bring the boy – wearing a Ferrari cap and shirt – into the exclusive paddock area with his family to meet Raikkonen.' - http://www.iol.co.za/motoring/f1-gra...s-hero-9137575
Old 15 May 2017, 09:35 (Ref:3733585)   #27
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Do you have a link confirming this? It is reported as a joint Ferrari/event organisers action
Sorry, I don't have a link to an "official statement" from Liberty Media's F1 communications confirming it was their F1 promotions and communications staff that initiated this. I can guarantee you it wasn't initiated by Ferrari and/or Raikkonen, as is being widely reported. Even the local TV news is saying it was Ferrari's idea.

edit: A quick search and I found THIS from James Allen.

"In the paddock a quick thinking F1 comms manager suggested that they go and fetch the young lad and his family to come over to the F1 paddock to try to cheer him up. Ferrari was looped in and they brought him to Ferrari’s hospitality where he met Raikkonen."

It's all I can find for now. A Liberty Media F1 employee. Believe what, or who you want.
But from my experience, I think I'll take James Allen's word over Alan Baldwin's any day.

Last edited by F1Guy; 15 May 2017 at 09:51.
Old 15 May 2017, 10:50 (Ref:3733590)   #28
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Sorry, I don't have a link to an "official statement" from Liberty Media's F1 communications confirming it was their F1 promotions and communications staff that initiated this. I can guarantee you it wasn't initiated by Ferrari and/or Raikkonen, as is being widely reported. Even the local TV news is saying it was Ferrari's idea.

edit: A quick search and I found THIS from James Allen.

"In the paddock a quick thinking F1 comms manager suggested that they go and fetch the young lad and his family to come over to the F1 paddock to try to cheer him up. Ferrari was looped in and they brought him to Ferrari’s hospitality where he met Raikkonen."

It's all I can find for now. A Liberty Media F1 employee. Believe what, or who you want.
But from my experience, I think I'll take James Allen's word over Alan Baldwin's any day.
Never said I didn't believe it - just wondering what the source was confirming it.

James Allen does clarify it was an employee from Formula One Group - so not necessarily a Liberty Media employee per se.

Full credit to her for initiating it, and kudos to Ferrari and Kimi for acting upon it.
Old 15 May 2017, 11:35 (Ref:3733599)   #29
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Quote:
James Allen does clarify it was an employee from Formula One Group - so not necessarily a Liberty Media employee per se.
I was under the impression Liberty Media owns 100% of Formula One. Which includes the... "Formula One Group". Are you saying that this F1 communications manager that JA mentions is not an employee of Liberty Media??

Quote:
Full credit to her for initiating it, and kudos to Ferrari and Kimi for acting upon it.
Didn't read anywhere in JA's article that confirms it was a female employee. Can you confirm that it was in fact a female employee of "The Formula One Group", and not Liberty Media? Do you have a link?
Old 15 May 2017, 12:24 (Ref:3733606)   #30
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
it was a team effort imo. it took Kimi/ferrari to agree and for Liberty to promptly issue paddock passes.

its nice that they have decided to act like normal people for a change though.

anyways PW for my DOTR. he clearly has his career back on track.
Old 15 May 2017, 14:40 (Ref:3733625)   #31
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Wehrlein gets the nod from me, good drives from Ocon, Sainz (apart from that pit lane exit thingy) and Alonso too.

On the flip side - Vandoorne, Stroll and Palmer had shockers.
Old 15 May 2017, 15:54 (Ref:3733635)   #32
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
I think it doesn't really matter who initiated getting the kid in the paddock and the Ferrari garages and even less who he/she works for.
Kudos to all involved to make it happen.

I'll vote Wehrlein. He was lucky with the VSC but still drove the thing to 7th (8th) and was still fast enough on his older tires to get at least a 5 second gap to Kvyat/Grosjean.
That was not looking very likely at a certain point in the race.

Good race again by the Force India duo.
Perez only is a single point back from Verstappen and 3 from Ricciardo.

5th consecutive double points finish for them. That's already 35 points to make up for Williams if they want to nick 4th place. Or 39 for Renault.
Old 15 May 2017, 17:10 (Ref:3733644)   #33
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
I think it doesn't really matter who initiated getting the kid in the paddock and the Ferrari garages and even less who he/she works for.

Here, here!
Old 15 May 2017, 18:01 (Ref:3733657)   #34
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Didn't read anywhere in JA's article that confirms it was a female employee. Can you confirm that it was in fact a female employee of "The Formula One Group", and not Liberty Media? Do you have a link?
It's in the comments on your link. Someone comments about the 'media guy from Liberty' - JA corrects them, pointing out it was a female employee of Formula One Group. I think I'll trust JA on this one. ��
Old 15 May 2017, 19:39 (Ref:3733681)   #35
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
For whatever reason something nice happened to the kid. This is brilliant.

However some fans have to find a way to diminish it. Sometimes I think we get the sport we deserve. See other threads too.
Old 15 May 2017, 19:57 (Ref:3733692)   #36
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Wow, Raikkonen getting praised for something he didn't initiate. Because Raikkonen is known for giving so much of his time for the fans.... right??

It wasn't Raikkonen's idea to get that little kid a garage pass. It wasn't Ferrari's either. It was a Liberty Media representative who contacted Ferrari and asked them to act on a great PR opportunity. And so Ferrari acted. I'm guessing it was all part of Liberty Media's initiative to boost fan engagement, which proved to be a real success all weekend.

Well done Liberty Media. Although, I must say, this type of thing has been happening in Melbourne for years. The Australian GP organises have done a great job with what they call 'The Melbourne Walk' where everyone and anyone involved with F1 can meet the fans for photos, autographs and a chat (accept for Raikkonen who tends to ignore or run though it). Australia also has two seater F1 rides, etc. All which seems to have made an impression on Liberty Media, and they now want to introduce this type of fan interaction during every F1 weekend.
It was a great gesture and that's what really matters and the Ferrari Kid got to meet his hero. How cool is that.
Old 16 May 2017, 06:20 (Ref:3733740)   #37
Neil22
Veteran

United States
Nor Cal
Neil22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lewis, simply outstanding. Kudos to Seb and Daniel too.
Old 16 May 2017, 06:35 (Ref:3733745)   #38
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
True. But I kept reading of Kimi and Ferrari getting ALL of the credit. Credit where credit is due IMO. And both KR and Ferrari haven't exactly been fan friendly lately. Proof in this thread alone where Kimi is voted for driver of the day by many, when he didn't even finish the first lap! And only did something he was forced to do. And the guy who drive his heart out to pass and win the GP get's hardly any votes. Even F1's driver of the day went to Vettel??

Quote:
It's in the comments on your link. Someone comments about the 'media guy from Liberty' - JA corrects them, pointing out it was a female employee of Formula One Group. I think I'll trust JA on this one. ��
Thanks for confirming. I didn't read the comments. Suspected it would've been something a female/Mum would do. Mothers instincts as they say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
It was a great gesture and that's what really matters and the Ferrari Kid got to meet his hero. How cool is that.
Very cool. But as Martin Brundle joking said, there's going to be a lot of crying kids on camera from now on.

Last edited by F1Guy; 16 May 2017 at 06:42.
Old 16 May 2017, 06:41 (Ref:3733748)   #39
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil22 View Post
Lewis, simply outstanding. Kudos to Seb and Daniel too.
Ditto!
Old 16 May 2017, 07:19 (Ref:3733758)   #40
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Very cool. But as Martin Brundle joking said, there's going to be a lot of crying kids on camera from now on.
'Cry-Cam' - the F1 equivalent of Kiss-Cam?
Old 16 May 2017, 07:57 (Ref:3733768)   #41
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
. And the guy who drive his heart out to pass and win the GP get's hardly any votes. Even F1's driver of the day went to Vettel??
You are surprised?

Lewis 'only' won because of Mercedes strategy, leaving Bottas to hold up Vettel, and someone in the pits taking advantage of VSC positioning viz-a-viz Lewis and Seb, to get him close to the Ferrari, and with the better tyre.
Fair play Lewis did what he had to, but hardly merits DOTR, for merely doing his job well.

Personally I would agree with the Ocon camp, to get a Sauber that high on merit was the ONLY aspect of the race worth a nickel in terms of DOTR. everyone else performed up to the machinery they had at their disposal, and no more.

As always feel free to disagree.
Old 16 May 2017, 12:54 (Ref:3733850)   #42
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Did you mean Wehrlein in the Sauber?

Ocon and Perez in the FIs, Hulk in his Renault, Ericsson in his Sauber, Alonso even....really a number of excellent drives on the day.

Kind of crazy that the Ham and Merc team have to resort to ditching their water bottle though...seems a bit dangerous and the risk of making a mistake, either mental or physical, due to dehydration really should outweigh the advantage of shedding a kilo...feel like this is a choice that will come back to haunt them.
Old 16 May 2017, 13:03 (Ref:3733853)   #43
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
Did you mean Wehrlein in the Sauber?

Ocon and Perez in the FIs, Hulk in his Renault, Ericsson in his Sauber, Alonso even....really a number of excellent drives on the day.

Kind of crazy that the Ham and Merc team have to resort to ditching their water bottle though...seems a bit dangerous and the risk of making a mistake, either mental or physical, due to dehydration really should outweigh the advantage of shedding a kilo...feel like this is a choice that will come back to haunt them.
At my age ................. er what was I going to say?

Oh1 Yes! That bloke in the pretty blue car.
Old 16 May 2017, 13:59 (Ref:3733865)   #44
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Pascal, a brilliant drive, kept it cool to the end, unfortunate to get that penalty, that the team have absolved blame from the driver. Where are all those questioning his fitness now?
Old 16 May 2017, 22:55 (Ref:3733954)   #45
smellysocks
Racer

Canada
smellysocks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kimi of course for being the PR genius that he is. Talking Liberty and Ferrari into this was hard work and Kimi deserves all the credit and driver of the race.
Old 17 May 2017, 06:17 (Ref:3733988)   #46
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Vettel for the overtake on Bottas, no question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJi3Gc2XToo

At 1:42 here from in car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM4lwDdnAGY

No penalty for Bottas' weaving?!

Last edited by wnut; 17 May 2017 at 06:23.
Old 17 May 2017, 06:41 (Ref:3733990)   #47
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by smellysocks View Post
Kimi of course for being the PR genius that he is. Talking Liberty and Ferrari into this was hard work and Kimi deserves all the credit and driver of the race.

Now! Now! Socks, you are straying in to my territory.
Old 18 May 2017, 17:55 (Ref:3734314)   #48
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Vettel for the overtake on Bottas, no question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJi3Gc2XToo

At 1:42 here from in car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM4lwDdnAGY

No penalty for Bottas' weaving?!
Looks like FOM are back to their old ways again judging by those videos.
Old 18 May 2017, 18:07 (Ref:3734317)   #49
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm confused, I thought we wanted less penalties? Or at least I can see why those running the sport can get confused with the mixed messages. Anyway, the one move thing is a load of rubbish. The timing of one move can be much much worse than several.

The videos have been taken down, but you can watch them for free on F1's own site. Fair enough.
Old 20 May 2017, 12:50 (Ref:3734644)   #50
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I am the only one to vote for Hulkenberg. He got sixth in that Renault that Palmer is getting nowhere with. Yet another dominant performance over his teammate. Just how much better is the Renault this year?

Hamilton and Vettel was stirring stuff. Vettel called for the team to put him under the VSC, but they said not to and that just gave Hamilton the advantage, so Vettel did a solid job. Hamilton too, of course.

Wehrlein was obviously good too, but Sauber was the only team to try the one-stop strategy.