Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Dec 2016, 13:51 (Ref:3694516)   #1376
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Indeed, Paul Ricard and Magny Cours are the only Grade 1 tracks in France.
Old 7 Dec 2016, 16:03 (Ref:3694550)   #1377
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWCRacing View Post
Both Le Mans circuits are Grade 2, not Grade 1, so cannot host F1 in their current configurations
I suspect it would take much to upgrade the circuits to Grade 1 if the ACO wanted to because to the best of my knowledge the main difference between 1 and 2 is paddock facilities. The paddock facilities at Le Mans are to a pretty high standard already and I suspect better than some Grade 1 tracks.
Old 7 Dec 2016, 19:35 (Ref:3694595)   #1378
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
I seem to remember lots of action at the hairpin as drivers tried to overtake and often succeeded.
I remember the opposite. My memory of Magny-Cours was Martin Brundle talking about how terrible a circuit it was to race on because you lost downforce through Estoril and then were too far back to overtake into the hairpin.

The only exciting race I remember there was 1997. It rained at the end which caused some chaos. Oh and 1999, because it rained again. 1996 is remembered because Schumachers Ferrari expired on the formation lap and that's about it.

There should be a French GP. But there should also be a better track. Paul Ricard is like scaletrix on acid, and horrible enough in ELMS and Blancpain. Magny Cours was never exciting and they ruined the end of the lap. France has a history of great tracks - they just aren't around anymore, apart from Le Mans, which rightly, has rejected the idea of running a GP.
Old 7 Dec 2016, 20:04 (Ref:3694603)   #1379
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
the lack of overtaking was an issue, which is why i loved the 2004 edition and Brawn's crafty strategy and Schumi's ability to deliver the lap times to make it work.

the shorter pit lane was, i think, one of the reasons why that strategy worked...is that something that current tracks should look at as it seems like something that would add a welcomed variable during this pirelli/multiple compound era?
Old 9 Dec 2016, 13:00 (Ref:3694983)   #1380
LC2guy
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
LC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Chicane on the Mistral...

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/fr...raight-858063/

and cotton wool barriers no doubt after the 3 miles of run-off. France needs & deserves a GP, but this isn't the answer. All in my opinion of course, no doubt safety reasons have driven this, although WEC Prologue & ELMS race used the whole straight I thought ( may be wrong on that ).
Old 9 Dec 2016, 14:56 (Ref:3695000)   #1381
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC2guy View Post
Chicane on the Mistral...

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/fr...raight-858063/

and cotton wool barriers no doubt after the 3 miles of run-off. France needs & deserves a GP, but this isn't the answer. All in my opinion of course, no doubt safety reasons have driven this, although WEC Prologue & ELMS race used the whole straight I thought ( may be wrong on that ).
I'm not surprised by this, I thought the Mistral would be sanitised.
Old 9 Dec 2016, 15:19 (Ref:3695004)   #1382
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
elms used the full straight, but the single seater events at the same event (including the eurocup and 3.5) used the nord chicane. even though it's halfway down the straight iirc you get glowing brakediscs into it as well, even in the baby renaults.
Old 2 Feb 2017, 14:21 (Ref:3708694)   #1383
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Great if it happens. There hasn't been a race in Scandinavia since Anderstorp in 1978, when Lauda won in the Brabham Fan Car and with Finland's motorsports heritage and huge fan base, this should have been on the calendar year's a go. As ever though, with Bernie, I suspect an ulterior motive.
Something story from there: Kymi Ring track in Finland seeks for a Formula 1 grading
Old 17 May 2017, 18:32 (Ref:3734116)   #1384
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
not venue related but in Spain, Brawn met with Moto GP/Dorna Sport exec Carmelo Ezpeleta to discuss, among other things, how to better coordinate their respective calendars.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/b...lashes-907147/

another day and another sign of things moving in a sensible direction.
Old 17 May 2017, 22:16 (Ref:3734143)   #1385
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
not venue related but in Spain, Brawn met with Moto GP/Dorna Sport exec Carmelo Ezpeleta to discuss, among other things, how to better coordinate their respective calendars.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/b...lashes-907147/

another day and another sign of things moving in a sensible direction.
There have to be some overlaps though, 20 events each means they'd have to run 40 weeks, 45 if both had a summer break meaning schedules from Feb-Nov for both series. Add in not wanting to conflict with WEC and you're at every weekend of the year. Never mind any other series.

Work on making things more accessible for consumption, and yes some of that will take YEARS for F1 with Bernie's penchant for long term deals. TV contracts may have to be broken or settled in court to open up streaming and other avenues and distribution methods. But starting with streaming feeder series couldn't hurt, and posting that to Youtube or FIATube, to get people interested with free product and develop driver fans to follow their driver as he moves through the ranks. But that costs money to produce, stream and host of course. Could get F1 teams interested though in promoting their drivers in lower series with internet exposure beyond message boards and racing sites.
Old 18 May 2017, 01:03 (Ref:3734150)   #1386
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And then subtract the days when events can be televised on the same date due to timezone differences. It's a tall ask and not clashing the opening and ending races would be a good start.
Old 18 May 2017, 08:07 (Ref:3734194)   #1387
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Here's a thought: could we see MotoGP and F1 running at the same circuits on some weekends?

Before immediately saying no, just think about it. Not at all circuits, not for all races, but for a couple of 'flagship' weekends a year.

In the back of my mind a voice is screaming LOGISTICS at me, but there are circuits with more than one pit lane...
Old 18 May 2017, 10:14 (Ref:3734231)   #1388
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
It's an interesting thought, but pride might get in the way. Which would be THE race, held - presumably - on the Sunday afternoon? Unless one was a night race on Saturday evening.
Old 18 May 2017, 15:03 (Ref:3734265)   #1389
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
yeah very interesting and enticing notion...i would travel and pay a premium for such a double header.

which venues do they have in common?

Silverstone, Austin, Barcelona?

logistics aside, i mainly like how F1 is shedding this attitude that they have nothing to learn from other series is a huge positive in my books.
Old 18 May 2017, 15:19 (Ref:3734267)   #1390
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Before mixing FIA and FIM championships, we should dream about a FIA World Cup, featuring Formula 1, WTCC, WEC, WRX and Formula E.
Old 18 May 2017, 16:15 (Ref:3734276)   #1391
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The flaw in the "proposal" is that you would be denying the circuits of valuable income from gate receipts. Taking just Silverstone, the "proposal" would mean that about 140,000 less people would be passing through the turnstiles just on the Sunday, although granted that attendance would probably increase on the other two days even though ticket prices on those days is insignificant in comparison to Sunday's.
Old 18 May 2017, 16:46 (Ref:3734287)   #1392
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
yep fair point Mike...even if all the other logistical problems get sorted there is still the issue of taking two well attended events and turning it into one. the loss in revenue would of course be a major issue.

but back to dreaming

NaBUru38, i would like to hear more about this FIA world cup you suggest? i am assuming you are thinking of something more grand then just a Race of Champions type event?
Old 18 May 2017, 17:16 (Ref:3734293)   #1393
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It wouldn't work. It's a nice idea, but with both having close on 20 races a season, it's probably not practical
Old 18 May 2017, 17:34 (Ref:3734303)   #1394
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I can see a situation where some circuits could have two events over a holiday weekend. Eg, Sunday F1 and Monday MotoGP at Silverstone on August bank holiday. US double-header around 4 Jul? I'm sure some of the dictators would create a 'honour day' around their hosting date?
Old 18 May 2017, 20:45 (Ref:3734345)   #1395
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It would have to be a Global holidays for that to work.

It's bad enough in Britain when being in Scotland I'm frustrated by not being able to watch the British Superbikes live on TV when they run on English Bank holiday Mondays.
Old 18 May 2017, 23:44 (Ref:3734363)   #1396
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having two different sanctioning bodies creates issues as well - 2x4 (car/bike) race meetings I've worked at have had to have a complete change of personnel to appease the sanctioning bodies with signoff's and other red-tape inducing measures.

To this is just to ensure TV coverage's don't clash. Which is wise.
Old 19 May 2017, 06:52 (Ref:3734402)   #1397
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
I can see a situation where some circuits could have two events over a holiday weekend. Eg, Sunday F1 and Monday MotoGP at Silverstone on August bank holiday. US double-header around 4 Jul? I'm sure some of the dictators would create a 'honour day' around their hosting date?
Could you not run one on the Saturday? Assuming this idea worked then you'd have to drop some support races - no way you could have all the MotoGP support races, GP2, GP3 and Porsches. So you'd have space to run a race on the Saturday.
Old 19 May 2017, 08:53 (Ref:3734418)   #1398
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Maybe running one on Saturday would be better, after all until last season the Dutch TT used to run on a Saturday
Old 19 May 2017, 11:04 (Ref:3734441)   #1399
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'd like to hope that, it is simply a meeting to help deconflict events. It could mean a change in the schedules so that when both in Europe F1 changes to a 3pm (2pm in UK) start time, as Moto GP start at 2pm (1pm in the UK) but those races only run for 45 minutes or so, and would be finished by F1 start time.
Old 19 May 2017, 11:14 (Ref:3734447)   #1400
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Bike fans are quite tribal, they often don't like car racing (though perhaps thats a generalization). I also think they wouldn't really like the prospect of paying now a reasonable €30-50 which would inevitably get bumped up to something like €200 for the same thing thanks to the "F1 premium".