Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 May 2017, 14:20 (Ref:3734471)   #1401
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
but back to dreaming

NaBUru38, i would like to hear more about this FIA world cup you suggest? i am assuming you are thinking of something more grand then just a Race of Champions type event?
Indeed!

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133063
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133064
Old 19 May 2017, 17:05 (Ref:3734497)   #1402
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Bike fans are quite tribal, they often don't like car racing (though perhaps thats a generalization). I also think they wouldn't really like the prospect of paying now a reasonable €30-50 which would inevitably get bumped up to something like €200 for the same thing thanks to the "F1 premium".
IF (a big IF) they were to share bikes and cars at a meeting, and given the relative pricing, perhaps F1 qualy and MotoGP race on Saturday at the €50 mark, and F1 race, with MotoGP demo on Sunday at the €200 mark?
Old 19 May 2017, 18:41 (Ref:3734519)   #1403
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
yep fair point Mike...even if all the other logistical problems get sorted there is still the issue of taking two well attended events and turning it into one. the loss in revenue would of course be a major issue
Would there be a loss in revenue?
Old 19 May 2017, 19:32 (Ref:3734527)   #1404
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Would there be a loss in revenue?
There would be unless they ran the events on separate days. Silverstone can only cater for so many spectators, and the GP has been opened up to about 140,000 now and over the last few years it has been sold out completely on the Sunday. And that's both the grandstands and general admittance.

And if last year was anything to go by, if you arrived much after 06.00 to grab your space, then actually seeing much of the track was almost impossible.
Old 19 May 2017, 20:07 (Ref:3734531)   #1405
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
There would be unless they ran the events on separate days. Silverstone can only cater for so many spectators, and the GP has been opened up to about 140,000 now and over the last few years it has been sold out completely on the Sunday. And that's both the grandstands and general admittance.

And if last year was anything to go by, if you arrived much after 06.00 to grab your space, then actually seeing much of the track was almost impossible.
How close to they get to 'sold out' on Fri & Sat?
And also how close does the motoGP get to sold out?

Firstly - I know this is massively hypothetical. But lets assume for a moment that Silverstone was seriously considering hosting motoGP and F1 over the same weekend.

The Sunday would obviously have little room to boost revenue, and would on paper equal existing F1 revenue and take zero of the existing motoGP revenue.
On the Saturday though, I would imagine F1 generates a marginal revenue stream, and probably far less than a motoGP Sunday.
By hosting the motoGP main event on a Saturday, that would in effect transfer the majority of the motoGP revenue to the Saturday, and possibly reduce some operating overheads as they are covering both events on a single weekend. You will also see a possible increase from crossover income (concessions, merchandise etc.) between different spectator groups.

Looking at motoGP and F1 alone, then it would probably result in a reduced revenue - but from the overall Silverstone model they would have two significant revenue streams consolidated into a single weekend, which can then be bolstered by an additional operating weekend for hosting another event (assuming there is something viable).

I'm also assuming that it would take minimal work for motoGP to operate from a second pit lane, but given the Silverstone configuration(s) I think this should be possible.

But hey - this is probably all a dream and we'll see the British round of F1 taken off the calendar before we see a shared event?!
Old 19 May 2017, 21:58 (Ref:3734545)   #1406
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
But hey - this is probably all a dream and we'll see the British round of F1 taken off the calendar before we see a shared event?!
That might be closer than you think but then there might be a solution.

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/129612
Old 20 May 2017, 15:55 (Ref:3734676)   #1407
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post

I would presume they would need to be run on separate days, not just because of the crowd size but because of the time it takes to run each race and also the broadcasting window. Both races would want to be aired at the optimum time.

They've been running a double header at Long Beach since 2007, with originally an ALMS round, now IMSA, on Saturday and the IndyCar race on Sunday.
Old 21 May 2017, 08:12 (Ref:3734843)   #1408
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Even if it doesn't ever happen, I'm loving the way the discussion on this is even-handed, as though it *could*. Have a doughnut
Old 21 May 2017, 14:19 (Ref:3734981)   #1409
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I would presume they would need to be run on separate days, not just because of the crowd size but because of the time it takes to run each race and also the broadcasting window. Both races would want to be aired at the optimum time.

They've been running a double header at Long Beach since 2007, with originally an ALMS round, now IMSA, on Saturday and the IndyCar race on Sunday.
Yes, but the IndyCar/IMSA doubleheaders at Long Beach and Detroit are special circumstances — IMSA sees Southern California and Detroit as key markets and the only way to get into those markets is by being part of the IndyCar weekend street course show. IMSA much prefers to be the headliner and not the support act. On permanent road courses, they no longer share dates with IndyCar or WEC. So if we’re talking about a Silverstone date, Long Beach isn’t a good analogy.
Old 21 May 2017, 18:43 (Ref:3735086)   #1410
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyM View Post
Yes, but the IndyCar/IMSA doubleheaders at Long Beach and Detroit are special circumstances — IMSA sees Southern California and Detroit as key markets and the only way to get into those markets is by being part of the IndyCar weekend street course show. IMSA much prefers to be the headliner and not the support act. On permanent road courses, they no longer share dates with IndyCar or WEC. So if we’re talking about a Silverstone date, Long Beach isn’t a good analogy.
One aspect of Motorsport has always been about promoting in key markets, so I don't see what special circumstances have to do with it. If IMSA want to market in Detroit and Southern California, it makes sense to share both venues. There is the nature of a street course, the logistics and organizing, which only makes it available once a year plus there is a guaranteed TV audience and spectators at the track.

With regards to Southern California, if IMSA wanted to be the headliner, not that I think they are seen as a support act, the could always hold their own event at Fontana.

It's not an analogy, it's an example of how two different series can successfully run their respective races on the same weekend and over a number of seasons.
Old 22 May 2017, 00:15 (Ref:3735149)   #1411
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
A return to Indy for both series could be a viable option in terms of track layouts and size to accommodate a huge crowd...provided price was right for them.
Old 22 May 2017, 21:36 (Ref:3735351)   #1412
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
A return to Indy for both series could be a viable option in terms of track layouts and size to accommodate a huge crowd...provided price was right for them.
A longer GP course is needed though! It's possible by adding some of the back straight.
Old 25 May 2017, 11:26 (Ref:3735912)   #1413
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Chase Carey has said that there are 5, possibly 6 cities in the US interested in hosting an F1 round.
Old 25 May 2017, 17:53 (Ref:3735973)   #1414
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
Chase Carey has said that there are 5, possibly 6 cities in the US interested in hosting an F1 round.
So let's assume Long Beach, New York, New Jersey, Indianapolis. So which would the other 2 be I wonder?
Old 25 May 2017, 18:01 (Ref:3735976)   #1415
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
So let's assume Long Beach, New York, New Jersey, Indianapolis. So which would the other 2 be I wonder?
Long beach?
Old 25 May 2017, 18:09 (Ref:3735980)   #1416
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Long beach?
I just counted it as a 'place'
Old 25 May 2017, 18:27 (Ref:3735984)   #1417
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i think i have read that Liberty has Las Vegas and Miami on their wish list.
Old 25 May 2017, 20:01 (Ref:3736025)   #1418
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
So long as it's not Caesar's Palace!
Old 25 May 2017, 20:18 (Ref:3736031)   #1419
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I seem to remember reading an article where it said that those involved in the promotion of the Indy car race were looking at F1 as the publicity from Indy car had gone down over recent years.
Old 26 May 2017, 00:18 (Ref:3736067)   #1420
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
I seem to remember reading an article where it said that those involved in the promotion of the Indy car race were looking at F1 as the publicity from Indy car had gone down over recent years.
Caesar's Palace?
Old 26 May 2017, 01:04 (Ref:3736078)   #1421
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
According to the latest FIA circuit listings I could find, Long Beach doesn't appear to have a current FIA Grading.
28th September 2016 Circuit gradings

Checking back further it was listing as being grade 2 with a licence that ran out in April of 2016.

Feb 2015 list f

Singapore isn't on the most recent list because it's licence expired 2 days previous the publishing of this document. The date is expire date on it's license can be. seen in the 2015 document. Given it's on the the F1 calendar this year, they have obviously re-applied for and gained a new license.
Old 26 May 2017, 07:40 (Ref:3736108)   #1422
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
Quote:
Caesar's Palace?
I meant to say Long Beach.
Old 26 May 2017, 10:12 (Ref:3736123)   #1423
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
According to the latest FIA circuit listings I could find, Long Beach doesn't appear to have a current FIA Grading.
28th September 2016 Circuit gradings

Checking back further it was listing as being grade 2 with a licence that ran out in April of 2016.

Feb 2015 list f

Singapore isn't on the most recent list because it's licence expired 2 days previous the publishing of this document. The date is expire date on it's license can be. seen in the 2015 document. Given it's on the the F1 calendar this year, they have obviously re-applied for and gained a new license.
The FIA has sometimes also not been the best in keeping the list up to date. As a rule, I would assume that all U.S. road and street circuits hosting IndyCar or IMSA WeatherTech races are either Grade 2 or could obtain a Grade 2 license if they were to apply (no major facility issues). Upgrading to Grade 1 for F1 is another, expensive story.
Old 26 May 2017, 10:32 (Ref:3736127)   #1424
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
The question is, IF this was to go ahead, is the US having 6, potentially 7 F1 rounds per year, fair? Does F1 really need 7 rounds just in the US? Which of the other rounds would be axed to make way for 7 rounds in the US?

Some people feared that once Liberty Media took over, there'd be more F1 races in the US as a result - and less races outside of Europe. One more US round yes, but 7 rounds is just not right IMO.
Old 26 May 2017, 10:48 (Ref:3736130)   #1425
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Given Liberty were talking about 25 races I'd suggest 3 at most, a spring time race on the East coast, a June race double header with Montreal in a Northern state, and then Austin doubled with Mexico later in the season as it currently sits.