Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 19 Jul 2017, 23:11 (Ref:3752912)   #251
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
We dont race back to the safety car, that would be illegal and you would get a drive through.
Sorry, for the pedantic I should have said "drive at race speed to catch up to the safety car, however dont pass anyone, although that is the same as racing as there is hardly any passing anyway"
Old 19 Jul 2017, 23:54 (Ref:3752922)   #252
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
Sorry, for the pedantic I should have said "drive at race speed to catch up to the safety car, however dont pass anyone, although that is the same as racing as there is hardly any passing anyway"
dont try to pass either, single file, which reduces the risk and the pace
Old 20 Jul 2017, 00:10 (Ref:3752924)   #253
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Doesnt change the fact they still drive at race pace to the safety car. Why isn't ths being addressed? You can't pick and chose whether you are embracing safety or not
Old 20 Jul 2017, 00:34 (Ref:3752929)   #254
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
Doesnt change the fact they still drive at race pace to the safety car. Why isn't ths being addressed? You can't pick and chose whether you are embracing safety or not
sure you can. Its about managing risk
Old 20 Jul 2017, 08:36 (Ref:3753002)   #255
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You can't have it both ways

Interesting you get stuck in to the open-wheelers about safety, but staunchly defend a Supercars rule...

It's either a danger or it isn't, plain and simple.
Old 20 Jul 2017, 09:13 (Ref:3753010)   #256
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can't see this country adopting the Code 60, any time soon.

Makes too much sense.
Old 20 Jul 2017, 09:30 (Ref:3753017)   #257
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
I can't see this country adopting the Code 60, any time soon.

Makes too much sense.
Just adopt the F1 Safety Car rule. It would be a start.
Old 20 Jul 2017, 09:34 (Ref:3753019)   #258
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
You can't have it both ways

Interesting you get stuck in to the open-wheelers about safety, but staunchly defend a Supercars rule...

It's either a danger or it isn't, plain and simple.
ive done no such thing. (dont make it personal) F1 are are the one getting stuck into safety. Just today they introduced the "Halo" in the name of safety. on top of many things in the past

And its not a supercars rule either, Happened in the 12 hour prior to Supercars taking over, happens in a lot of motorsport in Australia.

We dont stop doing things because they are dangerous, we just make effort to reduce risk. something that occurs under SC, Im guessing they will do more in the future
Old 20 Jul 2017, 11:54 (Ref:3753067)   #259
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
We dont stop doing things because they are dangerous, we just make effort to reduce risk.
Why? Wouldn't it be better to simply ban motorsport? Such a law works quite well in Switzerland.
Old 20 Jul 2017, 11:57 (Ref:3753068)   #260
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
Why? Wouldn't it be better to simply ban motorsport? Such a law works quite well in Switzerland.
Im assuming you left off an emoticon

Things in life have danger, we would have to stop driving if we stopped doing dangerous things. But rather than stop we do thing to reduce the risk
Old 20 Jul 2017, 22:31 (Ref:3753199)   #261
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
TCR is trucking along nicely - so many manufacturers. They are even launching a series in the UK, the heartland of touring car racing... that's confidence!
Old 20 Jul 2017, 23:02 (Ref:3753208)   #262
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I once stayed in a hotel in Netstal that celebrated the history of motorsport in Switzerland.

But back on topic TCR might be great for competitors but in the admittedly limited exposure I have to it the cars on TV look slow and drive like they are on rails.

Any car when driven flat out should at least appear to be on edge.

They would be a poor substitute for Supercars.
Old 21 Jul 2017, 03:21 (Ref:3753233)   #263
leothedrummer
Racer

leothedrummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whatever happens next, I think the health of the series is heavily reliant on naturally occurring entertainment (that means no gimmicks like contrived fuel / pitstop regs, entertainment yellows, reverse grids, etc). People enjoy watching and are captivated by bold moves, overtakes and action, which overall, is something I feel like the current formula is lacking.

In regards to the mention of "what people want to see", in my experiences with non-motoring people that I've watched races with, they love seeing overtakes, or at least, overtaking attempts. They don't notice the speed or style of cars, they care about action. The problem with Supercars at the moment is that they're all extremely close in terms of lap time, which sounds great on paper but doesn't really make for reliably exciting on track action. A great example was the race at QR last year (or the year before), with Caruso in the Nissan following behind another car for many laps, finally making an unsuccessful passing attempt with that failed passing attempt being enough to kill the tyres and ruin Caruso's pace. Does anyone else remember that one? That's a big problem, IMO.

I'm also somewhat uncertain of what I think of the development freedom that teams have, with enormous investment spent chasing the tiniest of gains. I'm someone that appreciates technical development, but I do often wonder if this is the right way for it to be done in this series.

How would I change things for the future? Well, I'd look to the Japanese Super GT series for influence, as I think they've struck a great balance between entertainment, development and competition. I'd move to a multi-class formula, with two purposes there.

The first benefit to multi-class racing being to create more natural race traffic, which in turn results in a more exciting and entertaining dynamic to the race, as overtaking becomes a far more important skill than it currently is (currently most races are won by hotlapping, not overtaking), as the race leaders have to be able to negotiate traffic and make the right moves at the right time.

The second is that we can then help different teams find a competitive home that is best suited to their budget. You would have somewhere between 10 to 20 cars running in an outright class with bigger development freedoms and more of an engineering focus and a second class with tighter regulations, lower costs (perhaps even full parity regs?) with maybe 15-30 cars in this class.

Performance wise, I'd love to see an outright class with more power, grip and lower laptimes overall. Can this be achieved on a reasonable budget if we were using more flexible technical regs? It would be very interesting to see what a 888 / DJRTP / FPR style team could put together. Other teams without as much of an engineering team - or even a few Super2 teams - would then slot into the second class, with these cars perhaps sitting around the same pace as the current cars, perhaps detuned for reliability.

I'd match all this with a move back to single race weekends, as longer races have proven to be more dynamic and interesting IMO. Single race formats also make for a more compelling championship fight, as each win / loss has a far more significant bearing on the title. (Single races may also reduce running costs for certain teams, as you can only crash out of one race in a weekend....).

Do I think anything like this will ever happen? Not really. But I know there will be some very interesting times ahead...
Old 21 Jul 2017, 03:44 (Ref:3753235)   #264
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
I think Supercar rules does a good job in regards to on track action.

For example, DTM might be the pinnacle of Touring Car Racing but it is more often than not an exercise in follow the leader.
Old 21 Jul 2017, 04:44 (Ref:3753240)   #265
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
They are even launching a series in the UK, the heartland of touring car racing... that's confidence!
Touring Car racing has been THE big deal here since I guess late 60's, early 70's whereas it was a 2nd or 3rd string deal in the UK behind single seaters & sports cars until late 80's but even then it wasn't as big a deal there as it was here.
Heartland? Hardly.
Old 31 Jul 2017, 03:36 (Ref:3756238)   #266
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Nissan observing Holden V6 engine development

Would imagine this is a good crossover engine. Surely Nissan could develop this to get benefit in Both Gt3 and Supercars if they wanted
Old 2 Aug 2017, 10:42 (Ref:3756889)   #267
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would the TCR spectacle on track really be much different to say, 1985 when we had Group A cars on track in the ATCC and Bathurst? Sports Sedans were much quicker at the time, yet all the attention was still on the ATCC and Bathurst

Supercars has over the past 25 years taken the place of what Sports Sedans was about.... any TCR touring car formula in place of Supercars could see renewed interest in Sports Sedans?
Old 2 Aug 2017, 11:14 (Ref:3756901)   #268
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I notice Audi Australia's new clip featuring the RS3 LM TCR machine at Philip Island.

Makes race car noises, which is nice.
Old 2 Aug 2017, 23:35 (Ref:3757084)   #269
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
I think Supercar rules does a good job in regards to on track action.

For example, DTM might be the pinnacle of Touring Car Racing but it is more often than not an exercise in follow the leader.
Yeah DTM is not that exciting most of the time. As fast as the cars are, the fact they ran DRS shows the cars have too much aero to allow overtaking. With Mercedes pulling out maybe its a prelude to less aero dependant cars like in the early 2000s when the series threw up some really good racing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fc16h-aM89o

In many ways Supercars is like that era of DTM when there was some aero but not like we have today, the cars are powerful and have some grip and aero but move around a lot.

Its a shame DTM probably wont go back to those days though.
Old 3 Aug 2017, 01:46 (Ref:3757096)   #270
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Yeah DTM is not that exciting most of the time. As fast as the cars are, the fact they ran DRS shows the cars have too much aero to allow overtaking. With Mercedes pulling out maybe its a prelude to less aero dependant cars like in the early 2000s when the series threw up some really good racing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fc16h-aM89o

In many ways Supercars is like that era of DTM when there was some aero but not like we have today, the cars are powerful and have some grip and aero but move around a lot.

Its a shame DTM probably wont go back to those days though.
I agree it is a shame. It seems that with the desire to show off the technology the racing side of it has been lost.

It is almost no exaggeration to suggest there was more overtaking in the Sunday Supercar race at Ipswich than in the entire season of DTM to date.
Old 4 Aug 2017, 13:03 (Ref:3757361)   #271
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
It seems that with the desire to show off the technology the racing side of it has been lost.
They are German, what do you expect?
Old 18 Aug 2017, 23:51 (Ref:3760291)   #272
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Supercar To Take Over AusGT?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 19 Aug 2017, 01:01 (Ref:3760299)   #273
Umai Naa
Veteran

Given the low grid numbers of late, perhaps CAMS' idea to consolidate GT3 racing in Australia, had some merit?
Old 19 Aug 2017, 04:03 (Ref:3760317)   #274
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Given the low grid numbers of late, perhaps CAMS' idea to consolidate GT3 racing in Australia, had some merit?
I think the grid numbers could be a result of it - rather than a reason for it.

There is unrest in the competitor ranks no doubt which is leading to this - which kicked off when a few v8sc aligned GT car owners revolted against the schedule.

The result of such a revolt is your main race at 7.30am on Saturday morning in 3 x 3 pit bay. Something that hasn't pleased owners which is slightly ironic.
Old 19 Aug 2017, 06:12 (Ref:3760329)   #275
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
I think the grid numbers could be a result of it - rather than a reason for it.

There is unrest in the competitor ranks no doubt which is leading to this - which kicked off when a few v8sc aligned GT car owners revolted against the schedule.

The result of such a revolt is your main race at 7.30am on Saturday morning in 3 x 3 pit bay. Something that hasn't pleased owners which is slightly ironic.
If the GT event is on Fox, and on the 1 hour highlight package on #10, and its on the Supercar card, is the time of the start the real issue, or the excuse?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House