Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Aug 2017, 23:25 (Ref:3758920)   #351
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Alas peebee2 seems to have some kind of vendetta against Sainz Jr.
Old 13 Aug 2017, 04:47 (Ref:3759084)   #352
mceci1
Veteran

Australia
mceci1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Alonso yes but not Sainz. Don't fall for the Dad's politico propaganda...
Sainz is very much part of the silly season movements. And what about his Father, I haven't heard a thing about him, wouldn't know he had anything to do with F1 if you didn't watch it. All I hear is Jos Verstappen being a spud by bashing on others for the same mistakes Max has made.
Old 22 Aug 2017, 10:49 (Ref:3760926)   #353
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Raikonnen Confirmed At Ferrari For 2018

“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 22 Aug 2017, 12:03 (Ref:3760936)   #354
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well not good for the sport, Kimi just collects points most of the time, we need someone in place of him
Old 22 Aug 2017, 12:35 (Ref:3760938)   #355
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I'd rehire him in their place. Why risk things with a possible lame duck?

What the sport needs to do is mandate that teams to run a third driver on Fridays.

If that was in place, then I'd draft in new blood if I was running things.
Old 22 Aug 2017, 14:09 (Ref:3760954)   #356
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Well not good for the sport, Kimi just collects points most of the time, we need someone in place of him
Last time I checked, the whole point of F1 to collect points, Isn't this is how both the drivers and constructors championships are decided ?
Old 22 Aug 2017, 14:49 (Ref:3760960)   #357
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
personally, quite happy with the news. its the 2nd seat at Ferrari...they were always going to go for a known quantity who is able to collect points and instinctively know how to support the team.

side note...i dont understand the need for using fridays for third drivers.

it only became an issue after testing was curtailed under the guise of cost cutting and more often then not its comes at the expense of set up time for the actual race day driver.

fortunately more time is being allocated for in season tests...a trend i think will continue as Liberty starts to tackle the cost and prize money aspects of the sport.

that said though, i do like the idea that Prema has put forward (all be it not a new idea). being allowed to run a single customer car in the F1 championship is a notion worth more consideration imo.
Old 22 Aug 2017, 15:30 (Ref:3760971)   #358
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
Last time I checked, the whole point of F1 to collect points, Isn't this is how both the drivers and constructors championships are decided ?

No the whole point of F1 is to win when you can, get points when you can't, which Kimi does the latter far too often
Old 23 Aug 2017, 01:54 (Ref:3761057)   #359
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
personally, quite happy with the news. its the 2nd seat at Ferrari...they were always going to go for a known quantity who is able to collect points and instinctively know how to support the team.

side note...i dont understand the need for using fridays for third drivers.

it only became an issue after testing was curtailed under the guise of cost cutting and more often then not its comes at the expense of set up time for the actual race day driver.

fortunately more time is being allocated for in season tests...a trend i think will continue as Liberty starts to tackle the cost and prize money aspects of the sport.

that said though, i do like the idea that Prema has put forward (all be it not a new idea). being allowed to run a single customer car in the F1 championship is a notion worth more consideration imo.
Why not a special session for all of the 3rd drivers on the Friday?
Engine mileage gets used up by everyone.

Not at every round perhaps.

An income stream and showing the track to some young fellas and lasses..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 23 Aug 2017, 07:19 (Ref:3761091)   #360
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
No the whole point of F1 is to win when you can, get points when you can't, which Kimi does the latter far too often
Neither the WDC or WCC is awarded on race wins (despite Bernie's efforts).

Points earn teams money.
Old 23 Aug 2017, 08:42 (Ref:3761119)   #361
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
The only reason Kimi is staying at Ferrari is because Ferrari will do what Vettel wants to keep him. And what Vettel wants - is Kimi as his rear gunner / number 2. Vettel doesn't want a driver that could give him a run for his money fair and square. Just like his idol Schumacher. A weak teammate will always make you look better than you really are.
Old 23 Aug 2017, 14:45 (Ref:3761196)   #362
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Oh God, not this canard again. Who did Schumacher ever veto joining him at Ferrari? I don't know of anyone, nor have I ever heard a name suggested. Whereas Senna did veto Derek Warwick at Lotus.
Old 23 Aug 2017, 14:52 (Ref:3761197)   #363
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
in other news Mclaren have announced that Vandoorne has been retained for 2018. i like how they are giving him another shot, hopefully this time with a better car.

http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/team...ement-3165489/
Old 23 Aug 2017, 16:10 (Ref:3761213)   #364
S griffin
Veteran

I am glad for Vandoorne, he's shown well a few times, despite the obvious handicap of the Honda engine
Old 23 Aug 2017, 16:14 (Ref:3761215)   #365
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
in other news Mclaren have announced that Vandoorne has been retained for 2018. i like how they are giving him another shot, hopefully this time with a better car.

http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/team...ement-3165489/
I have to assume...

1. Alonso may be happy with him as a teammate. So part of sales pitch for Alonso staying
2. Continuity to measure improvement from 2017 to 2018.
3. He hasn't done poorly so far.

Richard
Old 23 Aug 2017, 16:22 (Ref:3761219)   #366
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
in other news Mclaren have announced that Vandoorne has been retained for 2018.http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/team...ement-3165489/
Probably,

The only reason Stoffel is staying at McLaren is because McLaren will do what Alonso wants to keep him. And what Alonso wants - is Stoffel as his rear gunner / number 2. Alonso doesn't want a driver that could give him a run for his money fair and square. Just like Schumacher. A weak teammate will always make you look better than you really are.

... or maybe not ...
Old 23 Aug 2017, 16:44 (Ref:3761224)   #367
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
too much being made about the number 1 driver needed a weaker number 2.

imo Alonso doesn't require that sort of flattery. yes he lost his mind back in the day with Hamilton but looking back at Alonso's career and looking at him now (through the lens of his current and more mature attitude), he no longer seems the sort to require the artificial accolades which come from trouncing an inferior team mate.

there is a humbleness/humility to his approach these days that leads me to think this about him now...but then again i dont know him so all speculation of course.

Richard, to add to your...list i genuinely think that Mclaren really rate Vandoorne.

is it possible that he is there as a hedge against Alonso leaving/retiring more so then its a requirement to keep Alonso happy?

agree with points 2 & 3 though.
Old 23 Aug 2017, 17:09 (Ref:3761228)   #368
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sorry I may have come across a bit rough in my thoughts...

I don't think Vandoorne exists to be weak #2 and stroke Alonso's ego, but rather allow Alonso to have a known quantity regarding 2018. In that if they get along well (in whatever ways that count within a team) that it will not change for 2018. And I also didn't want to appear to slag Vandoorne. I think more than anything it has been hard for anyone to shine in the McLaren this year (Alonso has at times), so don't think it has been a true test of Vandoorne. In short... hard to do good, easy to screw up... and Vandoorne hasn't screwed up.

Richard
Old 23 Aug 2017, 19:18 (Ref:3761245)   #369
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Why not a special session for all of the 3rd drivers on the Friday?
Engine mileage gets used up by everyone.

Not at every round perhaps.

An income stream and showing the track to some young fellas and lasses..
something more right? it is of little benefit if these young driver tests happen after a GP weekend once everyone has gone home. a special session on friday makes sense to me as it can also be turned into a value added for those friday ticket holders....make it interactive/watch how a team conducts a test etc.

no doubt this would put a more pressure on the teams and mechanics so yeah not for every round but i would think it could be doable at some of the European venues and would greatly add to the fan experience that Liberty is focusing on now.
Old 23 Aug 2017, 19:30 (Ref:3761251)   #370
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Sorry I may have come across a bit rough in my thoughts...
i didnt think it was rough so no apologies necessary.

anyways, i think we are both looking at this signing in essentially the same way just from different sides of the same coin....essentially its the right call because it works for all parties. Mclaren rates the kid, Alonso gets on with him, and no one cares what Honda thinks as long as they show up with a quality PU

now we wait and see if it pays off or not!
Old 23 Aug 2017, 21:49 (Ref:3761270)   #371
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great news for Ferrari that Kimi accepted a renewed contract. There are no other drivers who even close to the talent that Kimi continues to possess. Ferrari knows they would literally fall apart without him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 23 Aug 2017, 22:12 (Ref:3761271)   #372
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Pete View Post
Great news for Ferrari that Kimi accepted a renewed contract. There are no other drivers who even close to the talent that Kimi continues to possess. Ferrari knows they would literally fall apart without him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
😩
Old 24 Aug 2017, 00:47 (Ref:3761295)   #373
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
The only reason Kimi is staying at Ferrari is because Ferrari will do what Vettel wants to keep him. And what Vettel wants - is Kimi as his rear gunner / number 2. Vettel doesn't want a driver that could give him a run for his money fair and square. Just like his idol Schumacher. A weak teammate will always make you look better than you really are.
Your biases are showing....
Old 24 Aug 2017, 01:16 (Ref:3761297)   #374
Ospi
Veteran

Ospi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOspi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Such a boring decision for the team. Shame but I guess it keeps Vettel happy.
Old 24 Aug 2017, 07:38 (Ref:3761324)   #375
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
Your biases are showing....
Maybe. But just speaking the truth.

And I'm not alone on this opinion. Most everyone in the F1 paddock feels/saying the same. Just have look around on social media and you will see some well known/respected paddock personalities saying the same.