Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 27 Aug 2017, 11:18 (Ref:3761916)   #101
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Re-badged Camrys and Corollas were a better alternative to Daewoo's Espero and Cielo, which we probably would have ended up with instead.
Old 27 Aug 2017, 11:35 (Ref:3761922)   #102
mceci1
Veteran

Australia
mceci1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
They said the same in 1985, and look where we wound up in 1993?
Back in a V8. Surely your not implying that they will die, you said it before, they survived the supercar scare, which was worse then what we have now. I don't believe that V8s will be gone from Holden forever, just for the immediate future, and far out, with how things are going we may end up having Australian manufacturing or go without all together
Old 27 Aug 2017, 12:58 (Ref:3761945)   #103
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mceci1 View Post
import will be dumped
Where to start!

A Camry/Aurion until recently was still a locally made car, and super reliable.

Holden with limited recalls? Because they refuse to take responsibility for their cars like Captiva (etc)? https://www.productreview.com.au/p/2....html?rating=1

Anyway the idea of blindly sticking to local large sedan cars when you could be driving an imported Lexus GS430 or Honda Legend large sedan seems ridiculous to me (yes they will have defective Takata airbags, but so do BMWs and Ferraris -- Takata are a huge supplier for all brands of car.) You surely have to give the Japanese options full consideration -- surely? [Of course that only applies if you are looking at the Calais or G6 that is directly comparable to the Lexus GS and Legend , of course a HSV with a manual transmission is a different beast altogether. ]

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 27 Aug 2017 at 13:07.
Old 27 Aug 2017, 13:02 (Ref:3761950)   #104
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Does this mean the Button plan didn't do its job?
Nope! That means the Holden Apollo and Nova are some of the most reliable used Holdens you can buy!

(And the Lexcen one of the worst Toyotas! )
Old 27 Aug 2017, 13:14 (Ref:3761959)   #105
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Quote:
I don't believe that V8s will be gone from Holden forever, just for the immediate future, r
Of course V8s are gone forever. Every model that gets switched from V8 to V6 turbo (among them GM's Cadillac ATS-V and Ford's F150 Raptor) will sooner be switched to hybrid and then full electric than ever switched back to V8.

My understanding is that even if GM brought in Camaros or Corvettes (still with V8s for the time being) they would not be sold under the Holden brand?
Old 27 Aug 2017, 13:18 (Ref:3761960)   #106
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Looking forward to eSupercars™.
Old 27 Aug 2017, 22:15 (Ref:3762174)   #107
mceci1
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
Where to start!

A Camry/Aurion until recently was still a locally made car, and super reliable.

Holden with limited recalls? Because they refuse to take responsibility for their cars like Captiva (etc)? https://www.productreview.com.au/p/2....html?rating=1

Anyway the idea of blindly sticking to local large sedan cars when you could be driving an imported Lexus GS430 or Honda Legend large sedan seems ridiculous to me (yes they will have defective Takata airbags, but so do BMWs and Ferraris -- Takata are a huge supplier for all brands of car.) You surely have to give the Japanese options full consideration -- surely? [Of course that only applies if you are looking at the Calais or G6 that is directly comparable to the Lexus GS and Legend , of course a HSV with a manual transmission is a different beast altogether. ]
I think the fact that you are more a fan of import is showing, you cant make comparisons if you aren't going to blame Honda, Ferrari all those with Takata airbags. All I see is people believing what the media tells them, not actual solid fact, media don't care who they knock to get views. Ford and Holden also run independent componentry but I suppose, given that we have to overlook that and blame them, then we better ignore the fact that airbags are dodgy, its not the airbag its the company who makes the car. The whole Ford and Holden have horrible cars is ridiculous, yes they have made bad cars but if you name company who hasn't then I'd be amazed, as there is not a single one, regardless. Any car can be bad, just depends on how much of a bucktooth bogan you are, and a lot that come into Ford and Holden with a 'faulty' car look like a brick has been smashed in their face twenty times.

Last edited by mceci1; 27 Aug 2017 at 22:21.
Old 27 Aug 2017, 22:21 (Ref:3762175)   #108
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Im somewhat lost about the relevance of how this all relates to Supercars?
Old 28 Aug 2017, 06:32 (Ref:3762228)   #109
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Back in a V8. Surely your not implying that they will die, you said it before, they survived the supercar scare, which was worse then what we have now.
What I was implying was in reply to you saying that the series has to change to survive

In 1985 we were told the same thing, the Aussie derived formula was no longer working and we adopted a formula "to survive" that made it hard for V8s to be competitive, and ultimately was a turbocharged playground

In 1993 we wound up back where we were in 1984, with an Aussie-designed formula with the emphasis on Holden and Ford V8s.
Old 28 Aug 2017, 06:34 (Ref:3762229)   #110
mceci1
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
It does to a degree, but on a different note, it seems, once again, someone I know has been commenting my account last night, while they have best intentions it doesn't always come across like that. As it is I am still wondering what on earth happened here a few weeks back, not going to bother asking though, come back from studies last week to find I couldn't log on
Old 28 Aug 2017, 06:38 (Ref:3762230)   #111
mceci1
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
What I was implying was in reply to you saying that the series has to change to survive

In 1985 we were told the same thing, the Aussie derived formula was no longer working and we adopted a formula "to survive" that made it hard for V8s to be competitive, and ultimately was a turbocharged playground

In 1993 we wound up back where we were in 1984, with an Aussie-designed formula with the emphasis on Holden and Ford V8s.
I get it. As for the turbo ruling now, I don't know if I agree, as we know an engine like the XR6 Turbo for example which wipes the floor with a V8
Old 28 Aug 2017, 06:46 (Ref:3762233)   #112
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post

Ironic given the topic title.
Old 28 Aug 2017, 10:06 (Ref:3762278)   #113
Backagain
Racer

Backagain has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
It does to a degree, but on a different note, it seems, once again, someone I know has been commenting my account last night, while they have best intentions it doesn't always come across like that. As it is I am still wondering what on earth happened here a few weeks back, not going to bother asking though, come back from studies last week to find I couldn't log on
Oh yes, the old "some big bloke did it and ran away" excuse.

So chief, would you believe !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 28 Aug 2017, 10:19 (Ref:3762280)   #114
Umai Naa
Veteran

A wise man once said, "A closed mouth gathers no feet".
Old 28 Aug 2017, 10:24 (Ref:3762283)   #115
mceci1
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backagain View Post
Oh yes, the old "some big bloke did it and ran away" excuse.

So chief, would you believe !!!!!!!!!!!
Believe what you want, I actually put effort into my education over wasting time on a forum that has some of the most wayward things. Up until the 23rd of August I had been in study for the last 8 weeks, I'll say this though, if it was worth wasting the time, a few comments here would fall under defamation law, given that the person, who had the guts to admit they made an error, and tries to avoid all hostility fired at people on here tells me there was more to the story, I cant go back and look at it as it was deleted, yet my friend took screenshots, and believe me, I am appalled with what I saw. I don't approve of what my friend did, but I certainly do not approve of what I saw here, and the fact is, there were multiple comments from multiple people that I would have warned them for, even punished.
Old 28 Aug 2017, 11:01 (Ref:3762296)   #116
Ospi
Veteran

Ospi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOspi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old 29 Aug 2017, 12:26 (Ref:3762602)   #117
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Quote:

To be fair, the Falcon V8 was not sold for the considerable intermediate period.

Quote:
I get it. As for the turbo ruling now, I don't know if I agree, as we know an engine like the XR6 Turbo for example which wipes the floor with a V8
XR6 Turbo-powered Supercar has already been done, and it's good fun, but not sure it sounds better than the V8 version, nor that it would be nicer to drive than the linear instant power of the V8. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4CFyv0tVR8
Old 29 Aug 2017, 14:49 (Ref:3762635)   #118
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
XR6 Turbo-powered Supercar has already been done, and it's good fun, but not sure it sounds better than the V8 version, nor that it would be nicer to drive than the linear instant power of the V8. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4CFyv0tVR8
This is cool.

I'm sure the power would be way more linear at 600 than the likely much more that thing is pumping out...plus if it were on race tires and not street tires.
Old 29 Aug 2017, 22:33 (Ref:3762789)   #119
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUWCo3lDjH8