Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

View Poll Results: Which driver is going to win the VASC Driver’s Championship In 2018?
#1 Jamie Whincup RBHRT Holden 6 14.63%
#2 Scott Pye WAU Holden 1 2.44%
#5 Mark Winterbottom Tickford Ford 0 0%
#6 Cameron Waters Tickford Ford 1 2.44%
#7 Andre Heimgartner NisMoAu Nissan 0 0%
#8 Nick Percat BJR Holden 0 0%
#9 David Reynolds Erebus Holden 1 2.44%
#12 Fabian Coulthard DJRTP Ford 1 2.44%
#14 Tim Slade BJR Holden 0 0%
#15 Rick Kelly NisMoAu Nissan 0 0%
#17 Scott McLaughlin DJRTP Ford 22 53.66%
#18 Lee Holdsworth Team18 Holden 0 0%
#19 Jack Le Brocq Tekno Holden 0 0%
#21 Tim Blanchard TBR Holden 0 0%
#23 Michael Caruso NisMoAu Nissan 0 0%
#25 James Courtney WAU Holden 1 2.44%
#33 Garth Tander GRM Holden 0 0%
#34 James Golding GRM Holden 0 0%
#35 Todd Hazelwood MSR Ford 0 0%
#55 Chaz Mostert Tickford Ford 4 9.76%
#56 Richie Stanaway Tickford Ford 1 2.44%
#78 Simona de Silvestro NisMoAu Nissan 0 0%
#97 Shane van Gisbergen RBHRT Holden 2 4.88%
#99 Anton de Pasquale Erebus Holden 1 2.44%
#230 Will Davison 23RED Ford 0 0%
#888 Craig Lowndes ALR Holden 0 0%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 29 Aug 2017, 12:34 (Ref:3762605)   #826
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchingOn View Post
So you are saying every other driver in the (Super2) field has no track record in top levels of motorsport - what do you class as top level of motorsport?
Well, obviously the Supercars series as opposed to the lesser Super2, Kumho or NZV8 series.

The Australian Carrera Cup and Australian GT (aside from the Bathurst 12 hour where there is an influx of top level international teams and drivers) would also be considered lesser series, whereas the Blancpain GT series, World Endurance Championship (where Stanway races) or WeatherTech Sportscar series would be considered a top-level series.

With the other Super2 drivers you are taking a punt whether they would be good enough, since many Super2 champions & front runners have only been average Supercars series drivers (average in the sense of being in the middle of the pack, and eventually being dropped, to take Andrew Jones, Greg Ritter, Steve Owen & Dean Canto as examples).

Whereas Stanaway, being proven in top level motorsport overseas has a better-than-average chance of being fast and consistent in the Supercars series (unlike the Golding, Muscats etc who may or may not be good enough in the Supercars series -- they might be Dean Canto or Greg Ritter Mk2, or they might be McLaughlin Mk2 and be spectacularly impressive -- its hard to say). [Obviously the top drivers in the top Supercars series are proven in top level motorsport locally.]

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 29 Aug 2017 at 12:44.
Old 29 Aug 2017, 22:15 (Ref:3762785)   #827
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mceci1 View Post
I did, hence why I said the only one yet to sign a contract is Bright.
No you didn't:

Quote:
At this stage the only one to sign a contract is Bright for 2018
Old 29 Aug 2017, 22:45 (Ref:3762792)   #828
mceci1
Veteran

Australia
mceci1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
No you didn't:
You have contradicted yourself, I cant believe what I see
Old 30 Aug 2017, 01:24 (Ref:3762809)   #829
T-star
Racer

T-star should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't believe you can't believe it!
Old 30 Aug 2017, 01:36 (Ref:3762811)   #830
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just when you thought it couldn't get any more rediculous.
Old 30 Aug 2017, 01:49 (Ref:3762815)   #831
WatchingOn
Rookie

WatchingOn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
Well, obviously the Supercars series as opposed to the lesser Super2, Kumho or NZV8 series.

The Australian Carrera Cup and Australian GT (aside from the Bathurst 12 hour where there is an influx of top level international teams and drivers) would also be considered lesser series, whereas the Blancpain GT series, World Endurance Championship (where Stanway races) or WeatherTech Sportscar series would be considered a top-level series.

With the other Super2 drivers you are taking a punt whether they would be good enough, since many Super2 champions & front runners have only been average Supercars series drivers (average in the sense of being in the middle of the pack, and eventually being dropped, to take Andrew Jones, Greg Ritter, Steve Owen & Dean Canto as examples).

Whereas Stanaway, being proven in top level motorsport overseas has a better-than-average chance of being fast and consistent in the Supercars series (unlike the Golding, Muscats etc who may or may not be good enough in the Supercars series -- they might be Dean Canto or Greg Ritter Mk2, or they might be McLaughlin Mk2 and be spectacularly impressive -- its hard to say). [Obviously the top drivers in the top Supercars series are proven in top level motorsport locally.]
I do agree that competing overseas can be beneficial whether in cars or open wheelers, but I believe that competing locally is also beneficial but depends on who you are racing, not everyone has the chance to compete overseas.

If you are winning or running in the top 3-5 in a highly competitive field then this would stand you as a better driver than those that are winning in a less competitive field/competition.

I don't think you can discredit current competitors and refer to them as essentially "unproven nobodies"
Old 30 Aug 2017, 01:50 (Ref:3762816)   #832
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
You have contradicted yourself, I cant believe what I see
I mean, seriously... Good luck with your studies champ, but here's hoping you've got a strong proof reader.
Old 30 Aug 2017, 02:14 (Ref:3762818)   #833
T-star
Racer

T-star should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He will probably just get a mate to sit the exams for him...and then not believe the outcome
Old 30 Aug 2017, 03:12 (Ref:3762824)   #834
mceci1
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
I mean, seriously... Good luck with your studies champ, but here's hoping you've got a strong proof reader.
I'll admit, my grammar on his isn't at it's standards in my assignments, but not many others have it here either. Seems to be the way when it's not serious. Next step from what I'm doing now is the Motorsports Training Australia campus in Albury, it allows people to be trained in areas that could lead to a job within V8 Supercars.

Also, to the couple who are none believers, explain why I have not said a thing for the last two years, leave school and go into studies this year, nothing and then something is said, I don't talk on forums too often, as more trolling happens then actually conversation. Strange that my friend has a strong opinion and is a race fan too, they have gone straight into working with cars, I'd say they know.

Last edited by mceci1; 30 Aug 2017 at 03:20.
Old 30 Aug 2017, 03:24 (Ref:3762825)   #835
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just assumed mceci1 missed out the word "yet" in this post:

Quote:
At this stage the only one to sign a contract is Bright for 2018
--> At this stage the only one YET to sign a contract is Bright for 2018

I think thats all the problem is.
...but if you are going to be outspoken then you should be sure your posts are accurate, not confusing.
Old 30 Aug 2017, 03:26 (Ref:3762826)   #836
mceci1
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
I do agree that competing overseas can be beneficial whether in cars or open wheelers, but I believe that competing locally is also beneficial but depends on who you are racing, not everyone has the chance to compete overseas.

If you are winning or running in the top 3-5 in a highly competitive field then this would stand you as a better driver than those that are winning in a less competitive field/competition.

I don't think you can discredit current competitors and refer to them as essentially "unproven nobodies"
Some in the Development series now seem to have some potential. In the Waters era, 13 to 15, it went through a real low and there was no competition to Cam and Paul. Now this year its a strong as the Mostert, McLaughling era, which was a decent era, as we saw now. There are probably three drivers I wouldn't agree with them being in Super2, but other then that, the rest aren't too bad. Josh Kean, no concept of racing in him, and the Kostecki Brothers, Brodie has talent, the other two went up too early. But Josh Kean I can't understand how someone could be so lacking in one of, if not the best car in the field, it's impacting Jacobson too I think as he doesn't have that experience of JLB and someone pushing him
Old 30 Aug 2017, 03:27 (Ref:3762827)   #837
mceci1
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71 View Post
I just assumed mceci1 missed out the word "yet" in this post:

--> At this stage the only one YET to sign a contract is Bright for 2018

I think thats all the problem is.
...but if you are going to be outspoken then you should be sure your posts are accurate, not confusing.
Yes that's it, not sure when I typed the post and no excuse as to why I missed the word yet, probably typing too fast
Old 30 Aug 2017, 05:05 (Ref:3762835)   #838
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
Quote:
Yes that's it, not sure when I typed the post and no excuse as to why I missed the word yet, probably typing too fast
Whats that? Sorry? Oh no worries. Dolt.
Old 30 Aug 2017, 05:18 (Ref:3762839)   #839
mceci1
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Whats that? Sorry? Oh no worries. Dolt.
I made a typing error, I'll admit to that as it was a stupid one at that. I have seen plenty of others do it, and some even worse then my error
Old 30 Aug 2017, 05:40 (Ref:3762842)   #840
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I made a typing error, I'll admit to that as it was a stupid one at that. I have seen plenty of others do it, and some even worse then my error
*than my error...

Russell to LDM a possibilty next year if he secures the coin off the back of a decent endurance program? He seems one of the few willing to pay more coin once he has already experienced their inner workings
Old 30 Aug 2017, 05:56 (Ref:3762843)   #841
mceci1
Veteran

Australia
I doubt we will see LDM 3, it could go to MSR
Old 30 Aug 2017, 23:43 (Ref:3763063)   #842
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Auto Action today is reporting that Garry Rogers is looking to expand into a four car Supercar team for the main game in 2018, if it happens it will free up 2 extra seats at that team, seeing as Garry is known for giving youngsters a go it might be an avenue for some Super2 drivers
GRM expansion ‘very unlikely’ for 2018

Is "Auto Fiction" back?
Old 30 Aug 2017, 23:51 (Ref:3763065)   #843
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Paul Gover wrote the AA article..

It could also have been a 'floater', an idea to plop out in the world to see who calls up Garry & Barry with offers of drivers, RECs, sponsors etc.

Not that that kind of thing has ever happened before
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 8 Sep 2017, 23:04 (Ref:3765522)   #844
mceci1
Veteran

Australia
http://www.speedcafe.com/2017/09/08/...edes-dtm-exit/

Interesting to see more overseas attention from drivers
Old 9 Sep 2017, 00:29 (Ref:3765526)   #845
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Interesting to see more overseas attention from drivers
Very little chance he would get a drive though

Imagine the whinging from some quarters if he got a drive and the likes of Stanaway, Le Brocq and Hazelwood missed out
Old 9 Sep 2017, 00:44 (Ref:3765533)   #846
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There's not enough seats, for starters.
Old 9 Sep 2017, 03:18 (Ref:3765574)   #847
mceci1
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Very little chance he would get a drive though

Imagine the whinging from some quarters if he got a drive and the likes of Stanaway, Le Brocq and Hazelwood missed out
That is true, its one thing to want to join, but like Richie and the others, his best bet is to do some mileage in development first to get attention. Good for the sport though to see names coming from overseas and having a real interest
Old 9 Sep 2017, 05:31 (Ref:3765581)   #848
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
his best bet is to do some mileage in development first to get attention.
A seasoned veteren from overseas is not going to lower themselves to the DVS though, i'm surprised that Stanaway did to be honest.
Old 9 Sep 2017, 05:45 (Ref:3765585)   #849
mceci1
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
A seasoned veteren from overseas is not going to lower themselves to the DVS though, i'm surprised that Stanaway did to be honest.
Names of Premat and Dahlgren would be enough for me to do it, no failed drivers, come to V8s with no experience, look what happened. Anyone thinking they can jump into a car straight away without some sort of V8 mileage is destined to fail. Richie and PRA made a wise choice
Old 9 Sep 2017, 10:49 (Ref:3765628)   #850
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Nor should they have to..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods