Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 4 Sep 2017, 00:58 (Ref:3764313)   #5151
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AoB Special Stage View Post
It's more efficient to boost more heavily over a shorter time frame for reasons, of which I don't have the confidence in my ability to explain adequately.
That's right. But if the ACO caps the hybrid output and allows the same amount of energy to be used, it will just happen over a longer period of time with less power. That's how they did it with Le Mans because it's an FIA grade 2 track.
Old 4 Sep 2017, 01:04 (Ref:3764318)   #5152
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
That's right. But if the ACO caps the hybrid output and allows the same amount of energy to be used, it will just happen over a longer period of time with less power. That's how they did it with Le Mans because it's an FIA grade 2 track.
The lower you cap the power of the hybrid, the less useful it will be. Look at F1, they spread their deployment so thin you don't even notice it anymore, nor does the world feed even bother.

But is this plan working within the fuel flow framework or are we envisioning a return to air restrictors? Because that changes the problem entirely.
Old 4 Sep 2017, 01:18 (Ref:3764323)   #5153
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
900hp vs 600hp. I think that's a significant difference. It will still be a huge boost to have that much power. Instead of something like an additional 600hp for 3 seconds, it'll be 300hp for 6 seconds. That's what I think will happen. And I'm not sure about the fuel meters. I haven't read anything about moving away from them.
Old 4 Sep 2017, 02:05 (Ref:3764327)   #5154
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If we want an actual fight between the hybrid and non-hybrid cars to work with the efficiency skew, we might need to say, 'OK, you get x joules/kilometer, how and if you divide that between the combustion engine and a hybrid system is up to you. Go nuts.'
Old 4 Sep 2017, 02:29 (Ref:3764331)   #5155
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
We have to remember that the 3.5MJ rules were pretty restrictive on how hybrid cars used their hybrid boost. I'm in favor of hybrids being used purely as range extenders instead of something to supplement engine power.

First of all, that might remove some of the incentive to run huge--and expensive to develop--hybrid systems. My big one is also that outside of the hybrid supercars, hybrid equipped cars aren't intended to be performance machines. The reason why people buy cars with small engines, or diesel engines, or hybrids or anything like that is to save money at the gas pump due to better fuel mileage.

Running DFI, especially in the air restrictor era, wasn't a huge performance advantage. It didn't really increase power, and though it might have helped with drive-ability for the cars that had it (no traction control back then on LMP cars), but it did extend range per a tank of fuel by, depending on conditions, 1-2 laps at Le Mans and 3-4 laps or so everywhere else.

I remember Audi with the R8 being able to run enough distance on a tank of fuel on street courses that they could, if they got enough yellow, do a race on one fuel stop. Granted, that was with about 20-25 or so more liters of fuel and it was on a street track, but the current cars can only do 45-50 minute stints. The R8s were able to do nearly hour and a half stints at times.

I still think we'll also need some pretty big performance balancing between the Toyotas next year and whatever privateer LMP1s show up. I'm not sure that the privateer cars can make much more than 700bhp and be reliable. Toyota are making like 1000-1100bhp, but nearly half of that is engine and hybrid.

You also still have the factory vs privateer factor, too.
Old 4 Sep 2017, 04:05 (Ref:3764352)   #5156
TzeiTzei
Veteran

Finland
TzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It should be a 100 hp hybrid boost.
Old 4 Sep 2017, 04:31 (Ref:3764358)   #5157
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
We have to remember that the 3.5MJ rules were pretty restrictive on how hybrid cars used their hybrid boost. I'm in favor of hybrids being used purely as range extenders instead of something to supplement engine power.

First of all, that might remove some of the incentive to run huge--and expensive to develop--hybrid systems. My big one is also that outside of the hybrid supercars, hybrid equipped cars aren't intended to be performance machines. The reason why people buy cars with small engines, or diesel engines, or hybrids or anything like that is to save money at the gas pump due to better fuel mileage.
Hybrid street cars use the electric motors to supplement engine power, so they can run a "small" engine in a bigger car and still return good fuel mileage...

They'd be slugs with just a conventional 1.3l engine or whatever, and get terrible gas mileage without the electric assist because you'd have to wring the neck of the small engine otherwise.
Old 4 Sep 2017, 05:28 (Ref:3764375)   #5158
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Someone calculated these graphs, based on 2017 regs and with many assumptions.

https://www.reddit.com/r/wec/comment...gy_allowances/

Old 4 Sep 2017, 14:56 (Ref:3764453)   #5159
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ACO Open to Common DPi/LMP1 Platform for New 2020 .
This common platform could allow a single Sebring in 2020 and have the DPI in Le Mans .

http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/a...new-2020-regs/
Old 4 Sep 2017, 15:33 (Ref:3764461)   #5160
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, to balance lmp1-h and lmp1-L is quite simple to me.
At le mans LMP1-H can't develope more than combined 1000hp. This limit is achieved via ECU.

Cut fuel tank to 55L, ICE engines power will decrease and put that ECU limit to 750hp for lmp1-h.
While for lmp1-L, give free fuel flows and a 90L fuel tank. Mechachrome V6 should be able to hit 750hp as well.

At least for power release, there will be equivalence.
Of course private teams (if ever will be) can't match R&D, aero and tyres development to manufacturers (if ever will be...)
Old 4 Sep 2017, 19:12 (Ref:3764514)   #5161
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post
ACO Open to Common DPi/LMP1 Platform for New 2020 .
This common platform could allow a single Sebring in 2020 and have the DPI in Le Mans .

http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/a...new-2020-regs/
Ah the Dagys spin machine. ACO says they'd like to get IMSA to use the same rules in 2020. Headline implies ACO will switch to DPi.
Old 4 Sep 2017, 19:30 (Ref:3764522)   #5162
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
Old 4 Sep 2017, 20:21 (Ref:3764540)   #5163
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Best thing would be a common platform, but there's the whole deal on different philosophies, different markets, and different technical rules views as far as technology vs cost savings.

I believe there should be a middle ground, but I'm not sure if IMSA or the ACO are willing to give and compromise enough to make it happen.
Old 4 Sep 2017, 22:31 (Ref:3764571)   #5164
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
Quote:
Best thing would be a common platform, but there's the whole deal on different philosophies, different markets, and different technical rules views as far as technology vs cost savings.

I believe there should be a middle ground, but I'm not sure if IMSA or the ACO are willing to give and compromise enough to make it happen.
Old 5 Sep 2017, 02:19 (Ref:3764612)   #5165
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbsmith View Post
Ah the Dagys spin machine. ACO says they'd like to get IMSA to use the same rules in 2020. Headline implies ACO will switch to DPi.
I don't see anything wrong with the headline and I think the article follows the headline well. It said they are "open" to a shared platform with the next rules package. Which is what the article said as well.
Old 5 Sep 2017, 03:51 (Ref:3764630)   #5166
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's great news that DPi will be allowed in LMP1, but will it open for more chassis manufacturers? After all, DPi is using 4 approved manufacturers based on LMP2.
Old 6 Sep 2017, 01:03 (Ref:3764857)   #5167
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagVanisher View Post
It's great news that DPi will be allowed in LMP1, but will it open for more chassis manufacturers? After all, DPi is using 4 approved manufacturers based on LMP2.
Getting ahead of ourselves a little?
Old 6 Sep 2017, 04:03 (Ref:3764869)   #5168
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
If F1 are serious about reducing costs and maybe helping out as far as engine supply from a cost perspective, I don't see how a similar deal can't help LMP1.

If costs were brought down and there were quality chassis makers out there/teams who'd be willing buy customer engines from any engine supplier, that could make the "DPI" element more palatable, as well as still allowing for development of engines and cars.

Where we're at right now, if you want to be an engine supplier, you might as well design and build your own car, because the ACO's current regs (and lack at this moment at least of a viable partner with a car that's ready to go until the end of the season) basically encourage such a deal, as well as the factory having control over almost every aspect of the car.

Hopefully a deal similar to the original DPI of the Lola-Aston Martin might become a reality.
Old 7 Sep 2017, 18:31 (Ref:3765231)   #5169
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Originally posted in the Toyota thread, but I think it has relevance here in a different context.

I did read something interesting on another forum regarding finances, and I think that it's interesting that a point was brought up.

Most Japanese companies run to a different fiscal year than most North American or European companies do. Fiscal year for most Japanese companies runs from April to March. Most everyone else does like Sept. to August or Oct. to Sept.

The 2018/19 WEC schedule does, be it by coincidence or maybe by design, align with the Japanese fiscal year.

But the end of the season also aligns with being close to the 2019 fiscal year that most everyone else uses. Could that be a part of trying to get more teams in by then?
Old 8 Sep 2017, 18:55 (Ref:3765481)   #5170
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Peugeot >

http://tempsreel.nouvelobs.com/econo...e-moteurs.html

L.P.
Old 9 Sep 2017, 01:11 (Ref:3765539)   #5171
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The 2018/19 WEC schedule does, be it by coincidence or maybe by design, align with the Japanese fiscal year.
Since the super season will end in June 2019, I think the previous Japanese fiscal year has ended by almost 3 months.

Now back on topic, I'm scared on what's gonna happen next for WEC.
Old 15 Sep 2017, 06:58 (Ref:3766989)   #5172
YZFrider
Racer

YZFrider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridYZFrider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
***FIA Technical Director Bernard Niclot is no longer with the organization, in a shakeup made last week following the Six Hours of Mexico. Niclot, the architect of the LMP1 Equivalence of Technology regulations, was reportedly under scrutiny in the wake of Balance of Performance discrepancies in GTE-Pro last year, and more recently, the originally announced 2020 LMP1 regulations, which has since been abandoned.

***Former Ferrari F1 engineer Gilles Simon, who worked with now-FIA President Jean Todt at the Italian manufacturer, has been tipped as Niclot’s replacement. A FIA spokesperson told Sportscar365 that no further information has been communicated beyond Niclot’s confirmed departure.

http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/c...ay-notebook-5/

Gilles Simon also worked for P.U.R.E and consulted for Honda F1 power units. Hmm
Old 15 Sep 2017, 12:06 (Ref:3767070)   #5173
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
"was reportedly under scrutiny in the wake of Balance of Performance discrepancies in GTE-Pro last year"

I'd like to know more about that please, hope he got a decent payout from Ford for whatever he was doing, cause it worked very well.
Old 15 Sep 2017, 23:07 (Ref:3767254)   #5174
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheFanNo1 View Post
"was reportedly under scrutiny in the wake of Balance of Performance discrepancies in GTE-Pro last year"

I'd like to know more about that please, hope he got a decent payout from Ford for whatever he was doing, cause it worked very well.
Hey, they were only one of two blowing out the competition.
Old 18 Sep 2017, 19:43 (Ref:3768383)   #5175
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
https://youtu.be/JrUl9AZAjtc?t=3259

I'll just leave this here.