Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 19 Sep 2017, 22:22 (Ref:3768652)   #3051
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanky Turtle View Post
This is the video I got of the Acura DPi down in Sebring today. The car sounds pretty good, maybe like a cross between the Nissan DPi and Ford GT. Not really loud but kind of "airplaney"*.

It mostly just did a couple laps at a time and then to the pits for awhile. It spun out in turn 3 and then was in the pit for at least 45 minutes when I left. Might be having some new car braking issues as you can see in the video the car fishtailing into the hairpin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJoWleEyVTo
When it comes to testing vids at Sebring here is the guy you want to subscribe to. ^ Thanks again Mr. Turtle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
I'm not sold on that Acura being good looking at all. Hopefully some minor tweaks will bring more appeal out. Also not the most exciting sound. But despite these Debbie downer comments, I am extremely excited to see them next year and the DPi class overall will be awesome. Thanks for the video!
If you think it's ugly then they probably nailed the design language. We kind of knew what it would sound like and it's not bad. Not inspiring either, but it's Penske so that makes it cool on principle.
Old 19 Sep 2017, 22:53 (Ref:3768658)   #3052
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
I think that good looking LMPs went out the window after the Bentley Speed 8, Courage C70 and Pescarolo C60/01. Unfortunately you can't fight what wind tunnels, math and science are saying.

Now we have to hope that fast cars look reasonably good. Toyota TS050 looks fairly good, the sprint Porsche 919 does, as does the Cadillac DPI, even if it's not a helluva lot different from the Dallara it's based on (though there's debate on if the Caddy or base Dallara came first).

I personally think that the Mazda looks weird, but putting production car design cues (that look good on the road cars) on to an out and out prototype racer was probably going to turn out that way.
Old 20 Sep 2017, 00:50 (Ref:3768673)   #3053
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
When it comes to testing vids at Sebring here is the guy you want to subscribe to. ^ Thanks again Mr. Turtle.

If you think it's ugly then they probably nailed the design language. We kind of knew what it would sound like and it's not bad. Not inspiring either, but it's Penske so that makes it cool on principle.
Wait a minute, what are you saying about my tastes? I don't mind the sound, but I want a screamer somewhere in a dpi. I love the gibson. And yes, penske alone makes it cool, agreed.
Old 20 Sep 2017, 01:07 (Ref:3768677)   #3054
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Well, I thought and still think that the Audi and Bentley twin turbo V8s in the R8 and Speed 8 sounded/sound good. At least they made noise unlike the Audi diesels, which also sounded good--when you could hear them.

Ironic thing is that now several of the Audi S and RS cars and the entry level Bentley Continental GT have twin turbo DFI V8s that share technology with the old LMP engines, though they're far from one and the same.

I sort of wish that Audi could make a version of the R8 and Lamborghini a version of the Hurican with the twin turbo V8, but that would probably steal the thunder of the V10.
Old 20 Sep 2017, 03:13 (Ref:3768703)   #3055
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Out of curiosity, I wonder if it's by design or coincidence, but it seems that the current DPI cars at most tracks are as fast as 2000-2005 LMP900/LMP1 cars.

Only reason I'm thinking that is that I'm looking at lap times at various tracks and the fact that the original DPs were intended to be roughly as fast as a 1985 Porsche 962.
Old 20 Sep 2017, 04:50 (Ref:3768721)   #3056
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanky Turtle View Post
This is the video I got of the Acura DPi down in Sebring today. The car sounds pretty good, maybe like a cross between the Nissan DPi and Ford GT. Not really loud but kind of "airplaney"*.

It mostly just did a couple laps at a time and then to the pits for awhile. It spun out in turn 3 and then was in the pit for at least 45 minutes when I left. Might be having some new car braking issues as you can see in the video the car fishtailing into the hairpin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJoWleEyVTo
Thanks for sharing that! I like the sound. It's a little quiet but at least it makes a unique noise. I agree with lots here that it doesn't look that good. I really don't see that much 'Acura' in it either. I also noticed it was running one headlight
Old 20 Sep 2017, 05:25 (Ref:3768722)   #3057
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
To think that HPD was going to go to the extremes that Mazda did instead of taking the ESM Nissan and Cadillac approach was probably asking too much.

There's a reason why the cars are designed the way they are and why outside of Mazda so few took the easy way out while retaining most of the base cars' aero package.
Old 20 Sep 2017, 06:48 (Ref:3768730)   #3058
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Thanks for sharing that! I like the sound. It's a little quiet but at least it makes a unique noise. I agree with lots here that it doesn't look that good. I really don't see that much 'Acura' in it either. I also noticed it was running one headlight
That's how I feel about it, lol. Doesn't sound good, doesn't look like an Acura, doesn't look good. But hey its variety so I'll take it.
Old 20 Sep 2017, 14:34 (Ref:3768801)   #3059
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
Wait a minute, what are you saying about my tastes? I don't mind the sound, but I want a screamer somewhere in a dpi. I love the gibson. And yes, penske alone makes it cool, agreed.
No not you! Hot take of the week - Hondas are ugly! Nothing can compare to the Gibson re: noise right now.
Old 20 Sep 2017, 17:45 (Ref:3768843)   #3060
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
To think that HPD was going to go to the extremes that Mazda did instead of taking the ESM Nissan and Cadillac approach was probably asking too much.
Considering how Honda felt about the whole concept to begin with, it was asking way too much.
Old 23 Sep 2017, 16:01 (Ref:3769435)   #3061
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
New turbo cooling duct on the Mazda it wold seem.

Looks as if it will get MAJOR changes to the chassis as 3 of the 4 constructors will be getting 'Jokers' with the Mk. 30 getting the largest.

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2017/0...2-updates.html

L.P.
Old 25 Sep 2017, 00:12 (Ref:3769661)   #3062
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, that's massive. So much for the spirit of this P2 generation, not that I liked that spirit in the first place.

To be fair, I examined a system of variable updates based on performance a few years back too. So, I guess here's my on-track test of that concept.
Old 25 Sep 2017, 14:09 (Ref:3769750)   #3063
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If IMSA and the ACO achieve a common set of global prototype regulations for 2020, the next generation of IMSA’s DPi could be hybrid.

http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/a...rototype-regs/
Old 25 Sep 2017, 14:39 (Ref:3769754)   #3064
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post
If IMSA and the ACO achieve a common set of global prototype regulations for 2020, the next generation of IMSA’s DPi could be hybrid.

My first thought was, "That's nuts! U.S. manufacturers don't want to spend big bucks and they don't want to push hybrids .... they make more money on pick-ups and SUVs."

Then I saw that it was Atherton, and it all made nonsense.
Old 3 Oct 2017, 14:05 (Ref:3771515)   #3065
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Atherton
We see it, as an organization, as only being a positive if we could bring the rulebooks together and have the top prototype category in America, racing in the WeatherTech Championship, [to] be aligned, consistent with what races at Le Mans and in the WEC.

It would [have to] be based upon practical availability, affordability and sustainability.

If you look at every major automobile manufacturer, they’re either talking about an all-hybrid lineup of vehicles or an all-electric lineup of vehicles.

Right now we do not have a formula that calls for hybrid technology in DPi. If you’re talking about the next generation, and seeing what’s happening around us, it seems like the logical next step
It's a thin balance between attracting manufacturers interested in hybrids, and preventing costs from escalating.
Old 3 Oct 2017, 17:04 (Ref:3771553)   #3066
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Atherton
We see it, as an organization, as only being a positive if we could bring the rulebooks together and have the top prototype category in America, racing in the WeatherTech Championship, [to] be aligned, consistent with what races at Le Mans and in the WEC.

It would [have to] be based upon practical availability, affordability and sustainability.

If you look at every major automobile manufacturer, they’re either talking about an all-hybrid lineup of vehicles or an all-electric lineup of vehicles.

Right now we do not have a formula that calls for hybrid technology in DPi. If you’re talking about the next generation, and seeing what’s happening around us, it seems like the logical next step

It's a thin balance between attracting manufacturers interested in hybrids, and preventing costs from escalating.

The highlighted sentence in what Atherton said is the key factor in it all. That is the reason there is no P-1 on the IMSA grid at the moment. IMSA, did not, nor do they want a class that is untenable to their paddock. They are not adverse to the technology, mostly to the cost as seen in the ACO's presentation of it.

L.P.
Old 11 Oct 2017, 12:39 (Ref:3773660)   #3067
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
Interesting that Hybrid is now being tossed around when the world's manufacturers seem to be headed to all-electric...

https://www.wired.com/story/general-...-cars-plan-gm/
Old 11 Oct 2017, 17:40 (Ref:3773728)   #3068
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
http://www.endurance-info.com/fr/hug...gent-possible/

Two more DPi manufactures in 2019.
Old 11 Oct 2017, 18:16 (Ref:3773740)   #3069
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
This is sports car racing. Many sports car manufacturers are going hybrid, see the Porsche 918, McLaren P1, LaFerrari, Aston Martin Valkyrie, Mercedes-AMG Project One...
Old 11 Oct 2017, 21:05 (Ref:3773767)   #3070
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberMotor View Post
Interesting that Hybrid is now being tossed around when the world's manufacturers seem to be headed to all-electric...

https://www.wired.com/story/general-...-cars-plan-gm/
Don't worry, self-driving vehicles will be well established and racing dead before that happens.
Old 11 Oct 2017, 21:06 (Ref:3773769)   #3071
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Don't worry, self-driving vehicles will be well established and racing dead before that happens.
Well, thanks for that motivation.
Old 11 Oct 2017, 21:33 (Ref:3773776)   #3072
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AoB Special Stage View Post
Well, thanks for that motivation.
Sorry, It doesn't really bother me as I will be dead by then too!
Old 11 Oct 2017, 21:57 (Ref:3773777)   #3073
Lizardfolk
Rookie

Taiwan
Lizardfolk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
LMP2 double face - Detailed line drawings of all four LMP2 chassis side-by-side with their DPi counterparts

For anyone interested in looking at more technical documents that compare stock P2s to their DPi counterparts.
Old 12 Oct 2017, 02:21 (Ref:3773792)   #3074
YZFrider
Racer

YZFrider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridYZFrider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
^^^^Thank you for that
Old 12 Oct 2017, 15:47 (Ref:3773878)   #3075
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!