Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 19 Oct 2017, 13:21 (Ref:3775035)   #3126
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
Since the category will be pretty evenly matched, I guess the best way for gm to compete with Honda, Mazda, and Nissan is to increase their numbers.
Old 19 Oct 2017, 13:51 (Ref:3775040)   #3127
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Let's hope Acura, Mazda and Nissan will follow suit in '19.

That Ligier update better be good!
Old 19 Oct 2017, 15:02 (Ref:3775061)   #3128
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Job opening for a designer/engineer for a motorsports project at a "confidential" plant in Belvidere, Illinois.

That's the FIAT/Chrysler plant.

They currently just build the Jeep Cherokee there, and they've started construction on a testing facility. Perfect cover for an Indycar or DPi project. Someone I'm close with is adamant it's an Alfa DPi project.
That project could also be Nascar, drifting, rallycross, off-road trucks...
Old 19 Oct 2017, 18:09 (Ref:3775079)   #3129
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
That project could also be Nascar, drifting, rallycross, off-road trucks...
They've been out of Nascar for a while now and wouldn't see them coming back. Rallycross is intriguing, but isn't GRC, or one of those series, going to battery electric cars in the near future?
Old 20 Oct 2017, 02:46 (Ref:3775138)   #3130
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
They've been out of Nascar for a while now and wouldn't see them coming back. Rallycross is intriguing, but isn't GRC, or one of those series, going to battery electric cars in the near future?
Electric classes will become a part of paddocks in GRC and WRX in the next few years, but I've heard nothing about the petrol class disappearing.

Marchionne didn't rule out NASCAR when asked, but to be competitive there you need to defect a major team due to the way the labor is divided between the teams and manufacturers. I don't see any team both willing and able to defect for a few years.
Old 22 Oct 2017, 23:16 (Ref:3775760)   #3131
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
I'll just drop this here; I'm sure at least a few couple besides me will appreciate them.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/ED...ionId=63318261

https://www.shapeways.com/product/BX...ionId=63318220
Old 23 Oct 2017, 16:13 (Ref:3775905)   #3132
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Job opening for a designer/engineer for a motorsports project at a "confidential" plant in Belvidere, Illinois.

That's the FIAT/Chrysler plant.

They currently just build the Jeep Cherokee there, and they've started construction on a testing facility. Perfect cover for an Indycar or DPi project. Someone I'm close with is adamant it's an Alfa DPi project.
If you can point me to where in Belvidere this testing facility is, it'd be nice to know. I fly over Belvidere routinely.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 31 Oct 2017, 18:01 (Ref:3777810)   #3133
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mazda/Joest testing at DIS today.

video (super short) https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/925416319264153600

L.P.
Old 31 Oct 2017, 22:33 (Ref:3777850)   #3134
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I love those new rims. Keep them !

I couldn't find any sustancial change on the aero, maybe the engine cover.

There are two new parts at the top of the side pods to let air go out.

pic from Endurance-info.com

Last edited by Damian Baldi; 31 Oct 2017 at 22:39.
Old 1 Nov 2017, 02:46 (Ref:3777886)   #3135
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Did they tone down the nose styling cues from the original? Doesn't look as distinct anymore.
Old 1 Nov 2017, 03:04 (Ref:3777887)   #3136
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
Did they tone down the nose styling cues from the original? Doesn't look as distinct anymore.
From the official tweets it said something like "we kept the body work but underneath there are changes."
Old 1 Nov 2017, 03:56 (Ref:3777893)   #3137
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
In the video, slow-mo or by frame, the nose looks the same. Just a little harder to tell in CF with the shadowing.

L.P.
Old 1 Nov 2017, 07:44 (Ref:3777914)   #3138
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
It's always stuck out less in bare carbon because a lot of the look is colour blocking tricks. In really good hi-res shots you can sort of see through it too, although one thing you can't is that the actual side windows are bigger than they look when the car is wrapped.
Old 1 Nov 2017, 16:30 (Ref:3778007)   #3139
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The only changes I see are cooling related. But they are small. I think they worked more on suspension and handling in accordance with drivers words.
Old 1 Nov 2017, 17:09 (Ref:3778014)   #3140
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian Baldi View Post
The only changes I see are cooling related. But they are small. I think they worked more on suspension and handling in accordance with drivers words.
Yeah, it looks like the (new) turbo inlets that they had put on the side of the engine cover...

they moved outboard, to the inboard side of the fenders...

and the sidepod cooling outlets farther forward.

L.P.

Last edited by HORNDAWG; 1 Nov 2017 at 17:17.
Old 1 Nov 2017, 17:38 (Ref:3778016)   #3141
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
Yeah, it looks like the (new) turbo inlets that they had put on the side of the engine cover...

L.P.
I think they are testing today the car for Daytona, because if you compare the pictures from the european test (the first image you posted) and the pictures from yesterday at Daytona, those inlets on the engine cover are not present anymore, and the sidepod cooling has changed too.

In the european tests there were two inlets beside the windscreen, one in a V form on the left side, and a small tube on the right side. Brake duct on the rear left side seems bigger than at the right side.

Last edited by Damian Baldi; 1 Nov 2017 at 17:57.
Old 1 Nov 2017, 18:46 (Ref:3778028)   #3142
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian Baldi View Post
I think they are testing today the car for Daytona, because if you compare the pictures from the european test (the first image you posted) and the pictures from yesterday at Daytona, those inlets on the engine cover are not present anymore, and the sidepod cooling has changed too.

In the european tests there were two inlets beside the windscreen, one in a V form on the left side, and a small tube on the right side. Brake duct on the rear left side seems bigger than at the right side.

As I stated in that post, it looks as if they have moved the turbo ducts since the 'European test' to the inboard side of the fenders, which is why I posted the pic for comparison.

According to Dagys ...
"Tuesday’s track action marked the first mileage of what is expected to be the car’s final configuration, which will be presented to the FIA, ACO and IMSA for LMP2 and DPi homologations".

http://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/ma...h-revised-dpi/

L.P.

Last edited by HORNDAWG; 1 Nov 2017 at 18:53.
Old 1 Nov 2017, 19:07 (Ref:3778031)   #3143
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
From the official tweets it said something like "we kept the body work but underneath there are changes."
Thanks. I guess it does look the same.
Old 1 Nov 2017, 19:20 (Ref:3778034)   #3144
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
As I stated in that post, it looks as if they have moved the turbo ducts since the 'European test' to the inboard side of the fenders, which is why I posted the pic for comparison.

Though it could be that the inboard fender ducts are now for the brakes and the front (of the rear fender) duct is now for the turbos ... the exact layout is still a?

L.P.
Old 1 Nov 2017, 19:57 (Ref:3778043)   #3145
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Quote:
Though it could be that the inboard fender ducts are now for the brakes and the front (of the rear fender) duct is now for the turbos ... the exact layout is still a?

L.P.
That could be a interesting solution and possible because the single turbo is on the left side. It would need a grill or a filter no?
Old 2 Nov 2017, 21:19 (Ref:3778241)   #3146
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Quote:
The car has since had a shakedown at Donington Park as it closes on a final specification ahead of its 2018 debut at the Daytona 24 Hours.

Juttner says two the two days of testing at Daytona this week has been productive, with changes such as new suspension added to the car.

"A lot has happened under the hood," said Juttner. "The rear suspension is almost completely new, but also a lot of other things, it's going really well, the car ran through the test for two days without any problems and it was really good."

Source
Old 3 Nov 2017, 00:02 (Ref:3778269)   #3147
kvenom
Veteran

kvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Its all really good until that AER engine catches on fire.
Old 3 Nov 2017, 02:41 (Ref:3778281)   #3148
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
If the car is not changing visually, it is a disappointment for me. It still looks like a Mazda, that's fine but I also think the car is lacking aerodynamically. It actually isn't my opinion only. And from the pictures not much has changed there. We'll see how it goes for them. Mechanically I agree that the car had major issues. So focusing on them first is the right idea.
Old 3 Nov 2017, 06:31 (Ref:3778296)   #3149
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
It's a DPi, it's not like it was ever supposed to be particularly good aerodynamically anyways. Just crank up the boost and crank on the wing.
Old 3 Nov 2017, 10:33 (Ref:3778324)   #3150
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbsmith View Post
It's a DPi, it's not like it was ever supposed to be particularly good aerodynamically anyways. Just crank up the boost and crank on the wing.
Cadillac dpi teams would disagree.
Anyway will mazda dpi will be using the same 2017 tub without any update?