Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Nov 2017, 14:04 (Ref:3778357)   #726
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
The Formula Teddy out the Pram sub-forum is still on here, ready to be revived.

One thing that strikes me.

Ferrari say that they don't want a global NASCAR with spec cars,
but if they set up their own series - isn't that exactly what they'd end up with.
Old 4 Nov 2017, 12:26 (Ref:3778522)   #727
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Massa To Retire At End of 2017

One off Williams’ list...

Will Polish Bob drive in Abu Dhabi?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 4 Nov 2017, 12:35 (Ref:3778523)   #728
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well TBH, he was only called back at the last minute and while his experience has been invaluable to Williams with the new generation cars, it was hard to see him staying, so he took the only realistic action. Formula E it looks like for him now
Old 4 Nov 2017, 14:40 (Ref:3778548)   #729
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Better to go with dignity and move on to something else than be dropped by Williams, which was looking more and more likely.
Old 4 Nov 2017, 15:22 (Ref:3778549)   #730
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He was pretty much making a fool of himself already by trash talking the validity of the other potentials for his seat. Lost quite a bit of respect for him because of that.
Old 4 Nov 2017, 18:13 (Ref:3778574)   #731
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
In my life time it must be about the 50th time they have threatened to quit F1..
Quote:
"There are a couple of things we don't necessarily agree with, one of which is the fact that somehow powertrain uniqueness is not going to be one of the drivers of distinctiveness of the participants' line-up. I would not countenance this going forward.
Yeah it'd totally suck if everyone had the same engine. Imagine a world where everyone had to run a turbocharged 1.6L 90deg V6 with 120 kW battery unit, and nobody could run anything different. That'd be awful!
Old 4 Nov 2017, 18:57 (Ref:3778576)   #732
loon
Racer

loon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridloon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post
He was pretty much making a fool of himself already by trash talking the validity of the other potentials for his seat. Lost quite a bit of respect for him because of that.
I'm sure Felipe's respect for you remains as high as ever
Old 4 Nov 2017, 20:11 (Ref:3778597)   #733
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post
Man spoke the truth. Ain't no shame in that.
Old 5 Nov 2017, 00:38 (Ref:3778662)   #734
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Massa To Retire At End of 2017

One off Williams’ list...

Will Polish Bob drive in Abu Dhabi?
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
Apparently, it's bye-bye Massa. For good.

Thank god for that!!
Looks like my prayers have been answered. Thank you God!
Old 5 Nov 2017, 01:25 (Ref:3778674)   #735
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Looks like my prayers have been answered. Thank you God!
It becomes a win when Williams puts a serious pilot into that slot...
Old 5 Nov 2017, 01:47 (Ref:3778677)   #736
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Quote:
IMO, Kvyat or even Ericsson would probably do a better job than Massa.

The names currently being thrown around are, in no particular order; di Resta, Kubica, Kvyat, Wehrlien and Ericsson.

If it was up to me, it would be, in order; Kubica, Kubica, Kubica, Kubica and then Kubica.

But in reality, I think it would have to be, in order; Wehrlien, Kubica, Kvyat, di Resta and then Ericsson.
Old 5 Nov 2017, 01:50 (Ref:3778678)   #737
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Reckon Massa is by far the most serious driver of the touted replacements!

However, Massa will not be paying bucket loads of cash for the pleasure of turning up for work.

Last edited by wnut; 5 Nov 2017 at 01:56.
Old 5 Nov 2017, 03:18 (Ref:3778707)   #738
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Will Polish Bob get a Williams ride at Abu Dhabi?
Old 5 Nov 2017, 07:19 (Ref:3778739)   #739
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Will Polish Bob get a Williams ride at Abu Dhabi?
No, because a return to F1 will require him to repay a large insurance payout made to him in respect of injuries received not allowing him to ever return to racing an F1 car. If he was to do a one off GP drive he will lose / have to return that payout, and potentially fail to make a full time return, leaving him way out of pocket long term.
If he was to return for the full season he will presumably earn enough to cover the return of the insurance payout .
The payout is not affected by testing, just when he makes a GP race start and therefore officially becomes an F1 race driver again.
Old 5 Nov 2017, 11:26 (Ref:3778789)   #740
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
No, because a return to F1 will require him to repay a large insurance payout made to him in respect of injuries received not allowing him to ever return to racing an F1 car. If he was to do a one off GP drive he will lose / have to return that payout, and potentially fail to make a full time return, leaving him way out of pocket long term.
If he was to return for the full season he will presumably earn enough to cover the return of the insurance payout .
The payout is not affected by testing, just when he makes a GP race start and therefore officially becomes an F1 race driver again.
That's exactly why Pironi never made a comeback to F1 after his injuries
Old 5 Nov 2017, 11:50 (Ref:3778796)   #741
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Maybe he should do the last F2 round to prove his ability to race.
Old 6 Nov 2017, 12:12 (Ref:3779002)   #742
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Lando Norris confirmed at McLaren for 2018.

Zak Brown: “Lando is an outstanding young talent. Today’s announcement is thoroughly deserved, and underlines the incredible high regard in which we hold his abilities. By winning last year in Formula Renault, triumphing in the McLaren Autosport BRDC Young Driver Award, and then showing the speed and consistency needed to win the European F3 championship, he is undoubtedly carving himself a reputation as one of the very best up-and-coming single-seater drivers in the world.

“His summer test for McLaren was also remarkably impressive, and was further proof that he is ready to step up and take on a role of this size, scope and responsibility.

“At McLaren, we are all extremely keen to help him achieve his goal of racing in Formula 1.”

http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/team...gn=LandoNorris
Old 6 Nov 2017, 12:16 (Ref:3779004)   #743
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Lando Norris confirmed at McLaren for 2018.

Zak Brown: “Lando is an outstanding young talent. Today’s announcement is thoroughly deserved, and underlines the incredible high regard in which we hold his abilities. By winning last year in Formula Renault, triumphing in the McLaren Autosport BRDC Young Driver Award, and then showing the speed and consistency needed to win the European F3 championship, he is undoubtedly carving himself a reputation as one of the very best up-and-coming single-seater drivers in the world.

“His summer test for McLaren was also remarkably impressive, and was further proof that he is ready to step up and take on a role of this size, scope and responsibility.

“At McLaren, we are all extremely keen to help him achieve his goal of racing in Formula 1.”

http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/team...gn=LandoNorris
Debuting at Monaco then?
Old 6 Nov 2017, 13:05 (Ref:3779012)   #744
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
IMO, Kvyat or even Ericsson would probably do a better job than Massa.

The names currently being thrown around are, in no particular order; di Resta, Kubica, Kvyat, Wehrlien and Ericsson.

If it was up to me, it would be, in order; Kubica, Kubica, Kubica, Kubica and then Kubica.

But in reality, I think it would have to be, in order; Wehrlien, Kubica, Kvyat, di Resta and then Ericsson.
Earl Bamber?
Old 6 Nov 2017, 15:53 (Ref:3779036)   #745
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Bambers IMSA duties might get in the way of that.

As good a driver as he is, it isn't a name that would be considered for an F1 drive tbh.
Old 6 Nov 2017, 19:10 (Ref:3779072)   #746
S griffin
Veteran

I’m glad Norris is getting the role at McLaren he deserves at this stage of his career
Old 7 Nov 2017, 01:32 (Ref:3779142)   #747
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Bambers IMSA duties might get in the way of that.

As good a driver as he is, it isn't a name that would be considered for an F1 drive tbh.
Danica Patrick?
Old 7 Nov 2017, 08:27 (Ref:3779191)   #748
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Danica Patrick?
Good one

If I was to pick a soon-to-be-unemployed Porsche driver for an F1 driver, Tandy, Lotterer and Jani would be higher up the list for sure.
Old 11 Nov 2017, 06:20 (Ref:3779885)   #749
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Recent public poll result on who should get the Williams seat.

Kubica: 45%

Wehrlein: 16%

Kvyat: 12%

di Resta: 12%

Ericsson: 6%

Palmer: 2%

Other: 7%

Mr Other is doing better than Palmer.
Old 11 Nov 2017, 13:24 (Ref:3779910)   #750
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Not taking anything away from Kubica's recovery to get to where he is now. But you do have to wonder how much of that 45% is goodwill/sympathy, how much is reliving his past success and how much is genuinely he's the right man for the job.