Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 17 Nov 2017, 08:16 (Ref:3780911)   #301
HDTVKSS
Veteran

HDTVKSS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
you can be as fast as you like but if you dont stop tagging ppl off the start line and keep with the high risk moves that will become a diminishing rate of return, you are going to get outscored.

they could have the god like ******* clone of Schumi and Senna in the car, but they wont win a WDC or WCC again until they have an engine on par with the Merc. that wont happen anytime soon.
Old 17 Nov 2017, 14:13 (Ref:3780993)   #302
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Max needs to learn not to run into people, until he does so he will not beat Ricciardo over a season. I think there are also a few people who he will find a lot tougher to race against when they are not in contention for a title. What goes around comes around, and Max has got away with quite a bit this year, he won't be able to stick the nose of his car into a fifty fifty and expect to get away with it.

"That kid is dangerous, it wasn't worth it." Lewis

Will change rapidly.
Hamilton never called Max "dangerous" and Max will beat Daniel, it's very obvious he's faster over this season , the only reason Daniel has more points is plain bad luck Max had, there's a good reason it's 13-6 in qualifying at the moment, Max is the first teammate to beat Daniel in qualifying .
Old 17 Nov 2017, 14:43 (Ref:3781004)   #303
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nielsen View Post
Hamilton never called Max "dangerous".
Except in this video https://www.sportvideos.tv/lewis-hamilton-that-kid-is-dangerous-so-it-wasnt-worth-the-risk/

Although it is debatable whether he meant dangerous in a potential crash way, or a risk to his result way.
Old 18 Nov 2017, 01:08 (Ref:3781153)   #304
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Only reason why Max crashed into Daniel because it’s the only way he can score more points.

Getting defeated 2 years consecutively results in irrational decision making.
Old 18 Nov 2017, 01:27 (Ref:3781154)   #305
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Because if Ricciardo does not improve his qualifying then he will play second fiddle to Max.
He already is. Just like Mr Webber, the fight is definitely on to beat his teammate, but there seems to be a political shift in RBR anointing Mr Verstappen as the holy grail, while Mr Ricciardo is ‘on the market’...

Personally, I think it would be awesome to see Mr Ricciardo in a McLaren Renault...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 18 Nov 2017, 06:03 (Ref:3781175)   #306
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
He already is. Just like Mr Webber, the fight is definitely on to beat his teammate, but there seems to be a political shift in RBR anointing Mr Verstappen as the holy grail, while Mr Ricciardo is ‘on the market’...

Personally, I think it would be awesome to see Mr Ricciardo in a McLaren Renault...
That would be a step back from where he is.Against Alonso which is no easier than against Verstappen.The only steps up are Mercedes and Ferrari.It is up to him to prove himself worthy in the first half of 2018.
Old 18 Nov 2017, 10:18 (Ref:3781193)   #307
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
That would be a step back from where he is.Against Alonso which is no easier than against Verstappen.The only steps up are Mercedes and Ferrari.It is up to him to prove himself worthy in the first half of 2018.
I would have thought 4th in the WDC with an engine not quite up to snuff would show what the skill level is like.

Certainly the driving in traffic shows the skill of the bloke, without destroying the car....

Red Bull is a dead end for Mr Ricciardo as long as he is teamed with the anointed one...
Old 18 Nov 2017, 12:19 (Ref:3781217)   #308
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Is there any solid evidence that RBR prefer Max over Dan? And if there is, is there a good reason for that?

Last time RBR preferred one driver, that one won 4 world titles whilst the other struggled to be runner up.
Old 18 Nov 2017, 12:30 (Ref:3781221)   #309
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Is there any solid evidence that RBR prefer Max over Dan? And if there is, is there a good reason for that?

Last time RBR preferred one driver, that one won 4 world titles whilst the other struggled to be runner up.
aside from verstappen signing a long contract and it making everyone paranoid, it seems to stem from a couple of races ago when said dutchman got the upgraded engine over ricciardo because he suffered a failure first?

which seems a bit daft to me because it was a fair way of deciding who got their hands on it first.
Old 18 Nov 2017, 12:57 (Ref:3781224)   #310
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I thought that Verstappen got offered the long contract to stop someone else getting him.

And yeah, surely you should just give the engine to whoever requires it first? If you held it back when Max needed an engine and gave it to Dan then it'd be far worse.

Seems like a lot of this is fabricated because Max is doing rather well. We've been here before with RBR, only a few years ago.
Old 18 Nov 2017, 13:07 (Ref:3781226)   #311
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post

It's not solid evidence, but the tone of comments regarding the two drivers seems to differ.

Horner has said they will build the Red Bull team around Verstappen, and that without the reliability issues he would be third in the title (and therefore is better than Daniel ):

'The obvious thing is to build a team around you. But it’s down to us to provide him with a competitive car'

'He’s had four mechanical issues, all engine problems. If you look at the points lost, he should be sitting a pretty close third in the championship'

'what’s exciting is what the future holds for him'

Whereas Horner's comments about Ricciardo were less optimistic about the future:

'Ricciardo has been around long enough to know and he was making hay while the sun shone'

'The next move that he makes at 28 years of age is a very important one for him'

'He knows the intention very clearly, and I’ve discussed it with him, is that we want him within the team.'

It all seems to read that Verstappen is the future, and the team will be focussed on giving him the best chance of a WDC. Whereas Ricciardo is seen as a member of the team, not the main focus for results.
This is backed up by more recent comments coming out of the Red Bull garage:

'Max's talent is obvious, he is capable of challenging for the championship [...] We've done it before [with Seb] and our aim is to do it again [with Max]'

Marko:
'[Red Bull] have to look for alternatives [for Ricciardo as he is] already on the market'

Horner:
'Asked what would happen if Ricciardo decided to leave, Horner said Red Bull were prepared for that.
“That’s why we kept Carlos Sainz on loan, that’s why we have options around us.'
Old 18 Nov 2017, 22:38 (Ref:3781388)   #312
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
It's not solid evidence, but the tone of comments regarding the two drivers seems to differ.

Horner has said they will build the Red Bull team around Verstappen, and that without the reliability issues he would be third in the title (and therefore is better than Daniel ):

'The obvious thing is to build a team around you. But it’s down to us to provide him with a competitive car'

'He’s had four mechanical issues, all engine problems. If you look at the points lost, he should be sitting a pretty close third in the championship'

'what’s exciting is what the future holds for him'

Whereas Horner's comments about Ricciardo were less optimistic about the future:

'Ricciardo has been around long enough to know and he was making hay while the sun shone'

'The next move that he makes at 28 years of age is a very important one for him'

'He knows the intention very clearly, and I’ve discussed it with him, is that we want him within the team.'

It all seems to read that Verstappen is the future, and the team will be focussed on giving him the best chance of a WDC. Whereas Ricciardo is seen as a member of the team, not the main focus for results.
This is backed up by more recent comments coming out of the Red Bull garage:

'Max's talent is obvious, he is capable of challenging for the championship [...] We've done it before [with Seb] and our aim is to do it again [with Max]'

Marko:
'[Red Bull] have to look for alternatives [for Ricciardo as he is] already on the market'

Horner:
'Asked what would happen if Ricciardo decided to leave, Horner said Red Bull were prepared for that.
“That’s why we kept Carlos Sainz on loan, that’s why we have options around us.'
I got from that at the time that the love for Mr Ricciardo had either gone entirely, or on the way to a full house departure....

The engine thing is still crazy. One fella had a shot at the time to be 3rd in the WDC and the ‘hot’ engine ended up with the other fella.

Time to go Mr Ricciardo..
Old 18 Nov 2017, 22:52 (Ref:3781391)   #313
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
I got from that at the time that the love for Mr Ricciardo had either gone entirely, or on the way to a full house departure....

The engine thing is still crazy. One fella had a shot at the time to be 3rd in the WDC and the ‘hot’ engine ended up with the other fella.

Time to go Mr Ricciardo..
Yeah, two drivers on the books.

One of them you are busting a gut to sign a long contract, doing everything possible to keep them happy and talking about as a future champion.

The other is described as due a move, and that you have an alternative lined up for.

It seems clear where the favour lies.
Old 19 Nov 2017, 00:10 (Ref:3781408)   #314
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
A few pages back in this thread I posted an article from F1.com that stated Helmut Marko had said the teams ambition was to make Verstappen the youngest champion is F1 history.

Prior to Marko's comments, Mateschitz had openly admitted the same HERE.
Quote:
Dietrich Mateschitz: "Do you know what my ultimate dream is in formula one? That Max is the youngest world champion in history with Red Bull. We have two more years to achieve that goal."

It's clear where RBR's focus will be for the next two years. And the fact that RBR have openly admitted that they are chasing the "youngest champion in history" record makes it 100% certain that Ricciardo will be playing second fiddle to Verstappen in '18 and '19. If RBR had said they will do everything possible to win their 5th drivers championship in the next two years, that may have been a better way to disguise their favouritism towards Max. But RBR were upfront in mentioning that Max will be priority while they chase the youngest F1 champion record. Because obviously - they cannot do that with Daniel. What they can do with Daniel however, is make sure he is a tenth (or two) slower than Max. Very easy to achieve this without raising an eyebrow. Just as RBR did with Webber.
Old 19 Nov 2017, 11:37 (Ref:3781461)   #315
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It's no wonder Danny is thinking of leaving, it will probably be best for him, as he is at least as good as Max. Both drivers no doubt are great entertainment for the sport
Old 26 Nov 2017, 22:00 (Ref:3783280)   #316
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Easy win for Dan.
Old 27 Nov 2017, 14:20 (Ref:3783484)   #317
peterelise
Racer

peterelise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With the season complete the following facts are evident:

- VER suffered 7 DNFs in the first 14 races for a very disrupted start to the season but with a clean run since Malaysia has scored the equal top points with Hamilton, scoring two 1st places, a 2nd place, a 4th and a couple of 5ths.
- Over the full season VER finished on the podium 4 times out of 13 finishes (31% of the time) and had an average finishing position of 4.23 for average points of 12.9 per race.
- RIC suffered 6 DNFs with a cluster of 3 in the last 4 races.
- Over the full season RIC finished on the podium 9 times out of 14 finishes (64% of the time) and had an average finishing position of 3.43 for average points of 14.3 (ie outscoring VER by 1.4 points per race over the full season).
- RIC’s podium percentage is remarkable in the 3rd best car and is comparable to VET (13 podiums out of 18 finishes for 72%) and HAM (13 out of 20 finishes for 65%) and BOT (13 out of 19 finishes for 68%) and well ahead of RAI (7 podiums out of 16 finishes for 44%). This stat probably best highlights RIC’s strength of realising most of car’s potential on Sunday.
- In the 7 races VER & RIC both finished, VER won 5 – 2, outscoring RIC by 91 points to 87.
- In qualifying head to head, there was a clear advantage to VER by 13 – 7 with an average gap of .135 (excluding where one or other of them failed to set a representative time because of equipment failure or crash). Interestingly, at the start of the year and at the end of the year they were much better matched (up until the 9th race in Austria they were 5-4 in VER’s favour and in the last 5 since Japan they were 3-2 in RIC’s favour). It was the stretch from Silverstone (where RIC went out of Q1 with turbo failure) through to Malaysia inclusive where VER won the qualifying battle 6-0 (but worth noting in this period, in 3 of those qualifying battles the difference was no more than 5 hundredths and in 1 RIC had suffered turbo failure and went out in Q1).
- Over the full season in 2017, RIC outscored VER by 200 to 168. Even if VER had one less DNF (so they both had 6) and managed to finish first in that race, he still wouldn’t have beaten Dan in the points table. This follows their time together in 2016 where RIC outscored VER by 220 to 191 in the races they were both in the same car. Looking at the 2016 results compared to 2017 suggests that VER is improving (he was outqualified last year by 11-6 with an average gap of 0.228 and outraced last year when they both finished by 9-7 and a total of 14 points)

All of this suggests to me that these two remain exceedingly closely matched but looking at the trend from last year to this year, and VER’s underlying pace, I can see why Red Bull have chosen to build the team around him going forward.

RIC remains my personal favourite and I will continue to point out that he has beaten VER in 100% of the seasons they have been in the same car (unless of course VER manages to beat him for the first time next year)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 7 Dec 2017, 12:44 (Ref:3785639)   #318
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS33 View Post
Easy win for Dan.
Even the F1 team bosses can see that Max is the better driver....

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
F1 team bosses have voted on the drivers of the year.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/top-10-grand-prix-drivers-team-principals-poll-986695/

Pos. Driver Team Pts. 2017/2016
1 Lewis Hamilton Mercedes 233 No change
2 Max Verstappen Red Bull 143 No change
3 Sebastian Vettel Ferrari 141 Up two
4 Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull 112 No change
5 Esteban Ocon Force India 73 New entry
6 Fernando Alonso McLaren 65 No change
=7 Kimi Raikkonen Ferrari 49 No change
=7 Carlos Sainz STR/Renault 49 Up two
9 Nico Hulkenberg Renault 47 New entry
10 Valtteri Bottas Mercedes 39 Down one
Old 8 Dec 2017, 23:18 (Ref:3785946)   #319
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
And Verstappen also just took the award for Personality Of The Year at the FiA Gala. An award most were expecting Ricciardo to take home.

Looks like the bias against Ricciardo has already begun...
Old 9 Dec 2017, 09:43 (Ref:3785985)   #320
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post

Looks like the bias against Ricciardo has already begun...
It's not bias, but recognition of the plain truth....
Old 9 Dec 2017, 10:06 (Ref:3785988)   #321
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I am impressed by how Max didn't let himself get down after so much bad luck and DNFs out of his control and showed what should have been at the end of the season
Old 10 Dec 2017, 04:08 (Ref:3786102)   #322
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I am impressed by how Max didn't let himself get down after so much bad luck and DNFs out of his control and showed what should have been at the end of the season
If there were any doubts about the toughness of Max's character they were answered in the last few months of the season.Post Singapore he was mega.
Old 11 Dec 2017, 03:58 (Ref:3786215)   #323
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
Max Verstappen has a boring personality and gets his charisma from Dan. No wonder Dan beat Max in points again.
Old 11 Dec 2017, 04:57 (Ref:3786218)   #324
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS33 View Post
Max Verstappen has a boring personality and gets his charisma from Dan. No wonder Dan beat Max in points again.
When did they start handing out points for personality and charisma?
Old 11 Dec 2017, 05:13 (Ref:3786220)   #325
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
When did they start handing out points for personality and charisma?
you replied to a comment about the award. 😂😂😂
Closed Thread