Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 30 Nov 2017, 12:43 (Ref:3784294)   #3176
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post

Joest will get everything out of that AER!
Including the pistons...
Old 30 Nov 2017, 14:45 (Ref:3784314)   #3177
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
Including the pistons...
Old 30 Nov 2017, 14:54 (Ref:3784317)   #3178
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
It needs more white.
Old 30 Nov 2017, 15:33 (Ref:3784323)   #3179
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
Including the pistons...

I thought it was smoke and fire or was the fire from the pistons exiting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
It needs more white.
I like the two tone black / maroon. Is that maroon??
Old 30 Nov 2017, 20:47 (Ref:3784374)   #3180
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:

You know, I can't help but note the time left on the clock when that happened. Things like that tell me that despite AER's issues, despite all the joking, there really should be enough potential in those engines to do the job with a team like Joest helping out.
Old 30 Nov 2017, 20:49 (Ref:3784375)   #3181
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The AER units weren't particularly reliable when run by Rebellion, ByKolles or Dyson either. There's a common factor in all of these.
Old 30 Nov 2017, 21:02 (Ref:3784379)   #3182
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
You know, I can't help but note the time left on the clock when that happened. Things like that tell me that despite AER's issues, despite all the joking, there really should be enough potential in those engines to do the job with a team like Joest helping out.
Very true, indeed!

Don't forget that at 2016 PLM, they actually made the 1,000 miles before cablamo, so they at least lasted MUCH longer than any Dyson AER / MG.

I posted those pics in the Daytona thread mainly to take jabs at joeb, cause that's fun!
Old 30 Nov 2017, 21:53 (Ref:3784390)   #3183
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
No matter the livery, it's gon look real nice out front!
I had to look twice to make sure you were actually the one posting after that comment.
Quote:

I like the two tone black / maroon. Is that maroon??
But then I was good to see you back in top form with this one :ROFL:
Old 30 Nov 2017, 22:30 (Ref:3784400)   #3184
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In this picture is noticeable the change on the dampers/ spring arrangement (from the Riley way to the standard way). At the front the car seems to maintain the original arrangement.

Old 30 Nov 2017, 23:22 (Ref:3784408)   #3185
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
They crap out a the same percentage of total race completion.
Old 1 Dec 2017, 01:58 (Ref:3784444)   #3186
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
As far as livery, why not just paint it black and grey? Gonna end up that color after the fire anyway.
Old 1 Dec 2017, 02:37 (Ref:3784453)   #3187
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I had to look twice to make sure you were actually the one posting after that comment.But then I was good to see you back in top form with this one :ROFL:

I'm okay with Mazdas. It's you I have issues with
Old 1 Dec 2017, 02:40 (Ref:3784456)   #3188
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

I'm okay with Mazdas. It's you I have issues with
Indeed, have fun with the bizarro tigers this weekend
Old 2 Dec 2017, 04:33 (Ref:3784681)   #3189
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Looks good up front but the rest of the car is pretty basic except the 'trimmed down' fenders. Still not a fan of the wide cockpit, but I do like the color. Hopefully they keep it that color this year and not the orangey red one. If they make the AER work, it'll be a miracle.
Old 2 Dec 2017, 20:54 (Ref:3784795)   #3190
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Marshall Pruett did some interviews with the drivers. The big thing that I took from it was after Nunez got his first podium, Speedsource had him clean the toilets the next week to try and keep the drivers grounded.

I think that kinda sums up the Speedsource effort. Motivate your staff by punishing good results.
Old 3 Dec 2017, 01:33 (Ref:3784834)   #3191
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Marshall Pruett did some interviews with the drivers. The big thing that I took from it was after Nunez got his first podium, Speedsource had him clean the toilets the next week to try and keep the drivers grounded.

I think that kinda sums up the Speedsource effort. Motivate your staff by punishing good results.
Lol, indeed that is nuts!
Old 3 Dec 2017, 03:45 (Ref:3784847)   #3192
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post

Did they not think the two years of constant dnf's hadn't kept him grounded enough?
Old 3 Dec 2017, 15:00 (Ref:3784910)   #3193
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
And they wonder why they got turned away when Joest showed up aside from being an amateur show since they ditched the RX-8s.
Old 3 Dec 2017, 18:42 (Ref:3784944)   #3194
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
SpeedSource cars and equipment headed to auction
http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/14609...ded-to-auction
Old 3 Dec 2017, 20:44 (Ref:3784960)   #3195
Turbodcc
Rookie

Turbodcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BOP test at Daytona this week should tell us alot, are they likely to release times?
Old 3 Dec 2017, 21:12 (Ref:3784963)   #3196
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
If they're using the final 2017 BOP tables as a baseline, I'd be interested to see if the Caddies actually go a bit faster than they did during 24 qualifying (provided that they or no one else sandbags and gets away with it). After all, they're running significantly less downforce than the start of the season last season, and Daytona is probably the least downforce dependent track by far on the IMSA schedule.

For some reference times, Cadillac DPI: 136.9. Audi R8 HSR this year: 137.9 on Goodyear tires vs Continentals on the Caddy.

Also, anyone know of trap speeds for the 2017 24 weekend? I know that one of the R8s during the HSR event was clocked at almost 201mph into the speed trap this year.

I know that's an apples to oranges comparison (LMP900 vs DPI, 2000mm wide car vs a 1900mm one, open vs closed cockpit, Continental DPI tires vs Goodyear (I know that the Audis originally ran on Michelins), etc), but it's as close to comparing something as I know outside of old LMP2 cars and such.
Old 3 Dec 2017, 21:43 (Ref:3784967)   #3197
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
If they're using the final 2017 BOP tables as a baseline, I'd be interested to see if the Caddies actually go a bit faster than they did during 24 qualifying (provided that they or no one else sandbags and gets away with it). After all, they're running significantly less downforce than the start of the season last season, and Daytona is probably the least downforce dependent track by far on the IMSA schedule.

For some reference times, Cadillac DPI: 136.9. Audi R8 HSR this year: 137.9 on Goodyear tires vs Continentals on the Caddy.

Also, anyone know of trap speeds for the 2017 24 weekend? I know that one of the R8s during the HSR event was clocked at almost 201mph into the speed trap this year.

I know that's an apples to oranges comparison (LMP900 vs DPI, 2000mm wide car vs a 1900mm one, open vs closed cockpit, Continental DPI tires vs Goodyear (I know that the Audis originally ran on Michelins), etc), but it's as close to comparing something as I know outside of old LMP2 cars and such.

I'm waiting next week's tests with anxiety. There are lot of things to compare and some changes to take in mind.

Ligier and Dallara chassis has received aerodynamic updates. In the case of the Dallara, the change is on the splitter, and as this part is a common part of the P2 car, the Cadillac will change too. I'm not sure about the changes on the Ligier. However, Nissan have changes on their car, mostly on cooling. This is why Onroak is testing the Ligier beside the Nissan DPi with pipo Derani at the wheel.

The Mazda and Riley/Multimatic is another story, because the base P2 car received several changes on suspension and cooling (I'm not sure if it will present aerodynimic changes too), and maybe some weight reduction.

The Oreca chassis remains unchanged, so they only need to compare the Oreca with the Acura.

TOP SPEEDS by event

December 2016 Test

January 2017 ROAR

January 2017 RACE

You can find all the results here

After the december 2016 test, the Cadillacs were forced to change the aerodynamic settings because they reached more than 200 mph
Old 4 Dec 2017, 17:00 (Ref:3785075)   #3198
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So all in all, at this point, what is everyone's prediction for fastest Proto in the Daytona 24 qualifying?

I think caddies will still be upfront with a heavy challenge from Penske, if Joest get the car in line then Mazda could be up front in quali (can't see them having legs for full race though).

I don't see the P2s quite challenging, and I reckon the Nissan will be more a race pace car than a qualifier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 4 Dec 2017, 17:35 (Ref:3785083)   #3199
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
WolfsburgRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian Baldi View Post
This brings up something I've always wondered. How does the team end up owning so many of the cars when they're 'factory' owned, built and run cars?
Old 4 Dec 2017, 17:59 (Ref:3785088)   #3200
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsburgRS View Post
This brings up something I've always wondered. How does the team end up owning so many of the cars when they're 'factory' owned, built and run cars?
I think it works as a franchise, in this case Mazda is the sponsor and owner of the brand rights, and puts on Speedsource the role of executor. The chassis were always Lola (later Multimatic), so Mazda don't owns intelectual rights over the chasis. In other words, the chassis were just a tool.