Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 7 Dec 2017, 14:49 (Ref:3785659)   #1426
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Y'all see the Lanky Turtle video?

The M8 is getting gapped HARD by the Ford GT off NASCAR 4 and through the tri-oval.
Old 7 Dec 2017, 14:51 (Ref:3785661)   #1427
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Y'all see the Lanky Turtle video?

The M8 is getting gapped HARD by the Ford GT off NASCAR 4 and through the tri-oval.
Aye, but half of Daytona Beach is currently loaded into the M8. They tried it with VLN last year until they messed up.
Old 7 Dec 2017, 15:27 (Ref:3785667)   #1428
bentley speed 8
Veteran

Sri Lanka
bentley speed 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbentley speed 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Aye, but half of Daytona Beach is currently loaded into the M8. They tried it with VLN last year until they messed up.
Can't wait for Le Mans
Old 7 Dec 2017, 15:29 (Ref:3785669)   #1429
GriffM3
Racer

United States
Houston, TX
GriffM3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yeah and the Ford GT boys have never done a bit if sandbagging before **Cough Le Mans 2016 Cough**
Old 7 Dec 2017, 15:46 (Ref:3785671)   #1430
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GriffM3 View Post
Yeah and the Ford GT boys have never done a bit if sandbagging before **Cough Le Mans 2016 Cough**
They certainly have! That's the norm with a new car. With the GT it's a bit harder now since the car is a known quantity. The M8 though is brand new, so they'll run round to deltas and then magically find 3 seconds a lap later. Calling it now.
Old 7 Dec 2017, 18:00 (Ref:3785685)   #1431
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
They certainly have! That's the norm with a new car. With the GT it's a bit harder now since the car is a known quantity. The M8 though is brand new, so they'll run round to deltas and then magically find 3 seconds a lap later. Calling it now.

I believe Griff was offering up a little sarcasm
Old 7 Dec 2017, 18:17 (Ref:3785692)   #1432
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
The M8 is a new car too. So you can never tell just how much they're gunning it. It looks nice though! Much better than the M6 imo.
Old 8 Dec 2017, 00:02 (Ref:3785746)   #1433
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
About Riley chassis update.

Quote:
Major Updates to Riley LMP2

Alder said the Riley LMP2 will receive signifiant mechanical updates ahead of January’s season-opening Rolex 24 at Daytona that will likely transform the car’s handling and performance.

The FIA granted the car its single-permitted ‘Joker’ that allows mechanical and aero updates for 2018.

Many of the same developments made to the Riley-chassied Mazda RT24-P will carry over to the LMP2-spec machine, including all new components from the bellhousing on back.

“Every single mechanical piece [will be] new,” Alder said. “Suspension design, a new bellhousing.

“Right now, the bellhousing is the big lead time item; it takes like 12 weeks to make that. It’s almost done and that’s the one thing we’re waiting on. Everything else is ready.”

BAR1 took part in this week’s IMSA-sanctioned test at Daytona with aero updates only and expects to get the full package in time for next month’s Roar Before the Rolex 24.

“Multimatic has been very helpful, the same with Riley,” Alder said. “They’ve been trying to help as much as they can to get us up to speed, even the Visit Florida guys have been helping us out.”
Old 8 Dec 2017, 07:51 (Ref:3785781)   #1434
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This is my video from the Daytona test on Tuesday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1y3KI1Du70

I had to take the track tour (again) as the track was closed to spectators (again) so didn't get much time in the stands but at least they let us look through the garage windows in the fanzone. I didn't get to see the Mazdas or Nissans on the track unfortunately but saw most of the others.

I'll see the M8 GTE at Sebring in a little over a week so I'll put the stopwatch to it while I'm down there.
Old 8 Dec 2017, 15:13 (Ref:3785848)   #1435
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wow Paul Gentilozzi running the team that David Heinemeier Hansson is driving for next year. That is a ticking time bomb waiting to go off.

http://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/3g...us-gtd-effort/
Old 8 Dec 2017, 18:00 (Ref:3785888)   #1436
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanky Turtle View Post
This is my video from the Daytona test on Tuesday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1y3KI1Du70

I had to take the track tour (again) as the track was closed to spectators (again) so didn't get much time in the stands but at least they let us look through the garage windows in the fanzone. I didn't get to see the Mazdas or Nissans on the track unfortunately but saw most of the others.

I'll see the M8 GTE at Sebring in a little over a week so I'll put the stopwatch to it while I'm down there.
Great video as always, Lanky. You are the man!

Also, here are some more videos from the December test from Daytona Beach News-Journal. They're only driver interviews but hey, the more content, the better!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kph2xjTpZa0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3TbN2byXMw
Old 8 Dec 2017, 18:54 (Ref:3785906)   #1437
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Might we get any more past Indy 500 winners running in IMSA? We got CastroNeves and Montoya full time, and Dixon and Hunter Raey part time. I guess I wondering still if we'll see Tony Kanaan, Buddy Rice, and/or Eddie Cheever.
Old 8 Dec 2017, 21:30 (Ref:3785931)   #1438
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What I think about IMSA to have took the WTR engine, is that IMSA think WTR was using a derated engine to get a benefit of the BoP. If you read the entire article, only CORE team was going fast.

Quote:
To the dismay of Wayne Taylor Racing, the engine from the No. 10 Cadillac was impounded by IMSA sometime around noon on the second day. Team principal Max Angelelli was less than enthused by the decision, according to those who witnessed the exchange.
Source
Old 9 Dec 2017, 05:51 (Ref:3785965)   #1439
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
Might we get any more past Indy 500 winners running in IMSA? We got CastroNeves and Montoya full time, and Dixon and Hunter Raey part time. I guess I wondering still if we'll see Tony Kanaan, Buddy Rice, and/or Eddie Cheever.
It seems like Buddy Rice could be a good bet for the BAR1 Riley since he drove for them all of last year. But then again they did run over 20 different drivers over the whole season.
Old 9 Dec 2017, 07:07 (Ref:3785969)   #1440
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

I figured as much. Be interested to hear Connor Di Phillips’s thoughts on his new ride as it’s the complete opposite of the R8 LMS
Old 9 Dec 2017, 10:30 (Ref:3785993)   #1441
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian Baldi View Post
What I think about IMSA to have took the WTR engine, is that IMSA think WTR was using a derated engine to get a benefit of the BoP. If you read the entire article, only CORE team was going fast.

Source
That would be a pretty smart way to get a better bop. But I think IMSA would catch that one. This is why the tiny tinkering with the cars is annoying because they often don't get it right.
Old 9 Dec 2017, 11:30 (Ref:3785996)   #1442
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Remember ganassi behaviour during their riley-bmw grand-am seasons, master sandbagging during the test -> overall better performances during the race.
Old 9 Dec 2017, 14:19 (Ref:3786006)   #1443
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian Baldi View Post

Source
I read it as WTR being annoyed because IMSA took away 1/2 day of testing rather than taking the engine at the end of the day. It does seem a bit odd.

Last edited by wdave0; 9 Dec 2017 at 14:20. Reason: typo
Old 9 Dec 2017, 14:42 (Ref:3786010)   #1444
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdave0 View Post
I read it as WTR being annoyed because IMSA took away 1/2 day of testing rather than taking the engine at the end of the day. It does seem a bit odd.
That's why I think something odd is going on - IMSA wouldn't take away testing time without good reason. It suggests something is up with that engine.

I read a second engine was taken too? Was that a WTR? Caddy? Or other?
Old 9 Dec 2017, 15:41 (Ref:3786017)   #1445
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
That's why I think something odd is going on - IMSA wouldn't take away testing time without good reason. It suggests something is up with that engine.

I read a second engine was taken too? Was that a WTR? Caddy? Or other?
The article I saw in S365 made it sound like it was another WTR engine from their trailer. Makes me think WTR was doing something and IMSA caught them. If it's anything like NASCAR rulings you'll have to hope the rumors get reported by everyone to get an idea what the violation was.
Old 9 Dec 2017, 15:47 (Ref:3786018)   #1446
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
The article I saw in S365 made it sound like it was another WTR engine from their trailer. Makes me think WTR was doing something and IMSA caught them. If it's anything like NASCAR rulings you'll have to hope the rumors get reported by everyone to get an idea what the violation was.
If it's another WTR engine, then I think you're right - that really points to some sort of crime is being committed. Interesting that no other Caddys are involved.

Have VFR said when they're due to get their new car?
Old 9 Dec 2017, 16:22 (Ref:3786021)   #1447
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quite strange, cadillac dpi engines are made by RCC (the same tuner of 2014-2016 corvette DP 5.5). It's basically a heavily racing tuned version of the road LT block.

I know that teams don't own these engines because teams receive engines by manufacturer/tuner by leasing; it's a quite common habit in motorsport... ELMS/IMSA/WEC lmp2 teams don't own gibson engine used in their cars.

Because of that, what could be WRT involvment in a vicious behaviour?
As far I know WRT is made by about 15 people and don't think they are good enough to physically modify/alter a motor. The only way they could be able to cheat is via a custom/modified software of the engine ECU, as a lamborghini team last year did, but you don't need to confiscate a whole motor to find out that.

My theory: cadillac dpi was maybe homologated with certain mandatory parts/materials, maybe IMSA suspects there are violations about this. Anyway WRT was the only cadillac dpi team that day, of course engines confiscated could be only WTR ones.
Old 9 Dec 2017, 16:51 (Ref:3786025)   #1448
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
I'd bet that if there were other Cadillac teams there, they might have had an engine confiscated at least for comparative testing. After all, Richard Childress Racing builds all the Cadillac DPI engines, and the Corvette DPI engines before that.

They originate from the same place, and it's not like GM Performance/Corvette Racing, Katech, Hendrick, or someone else is building additional engines. So they could be something funny going on with all the engines unless WTR is suspected of doing something on their own.
Old 9 Dec 2017, 18:07 (Ref:3786032)   #1449
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
There are several ways to cheat, but in this case it should need the collaboration of the tuner/builder, and that's the odd thing about all this, because I don't think RCR doing something like that.

Could WTR been using an used engines with less power? an engine that WTR knew that was under the normal power output? I think that is why IMSA took the engine to put it on the dyno to check.

As WTR was the only Cadillac team, any manipulated measurement took from their car, will be applied to the other Cadillac cars.

Everything very strange, let's wait and see, what happens.

In our local TC (Turismo Carretera) cheating has reached very innovative and creative ways of cheating. Different cylinder's size, and different compression, because the authorities always check some cylinders but not all.
Old 9 Dec 2017, 19:49 (Ref:3786042)   #1450
airbusA346
Veteran

England
Staffordshire, UK
airbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridairbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Porsche driver line ups:

#911: Nick Tandy, Patrick Pilet
#912: Earl Bamber, Laurens Vanthoor