Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 9 Jan 2018, 12:01 (Ref:3791515)   #51
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post
In my opinion the GTE / GT3 convergence will finally be successful, if finally the ACO concrete the GTproto / GT1 idea for the Top class in 2021, then perhaps some GTE Teams decide to hit the jump to the Top category, and in this way a GTE category has no sense.
GTE barely makes sense as-is with how big GT3 has gotten. Some GT3 cars could approach previous-generation LMP2 speeds if they ran unrestricted.

In the big picture, the only benefit GTE has is that it's not quite as pricey as GT3. All GTE has to offer is an indication of what areas the SRO/FIA should put some limits on development in order to reign in GT3 costs. Aerodynamically the only difference between GT3 and GTE is the front splitter and rear wing. ESPECIALLY the rear wing.

The GTE/GT3 convergence is less of a convergence and more of a "figure out where to put some cost saving restrictions on GT3 and convince the ACO to shut down GTE." And the realization is probably what caused talks to break down in the last effort. But as things have made it all the more clear that GT3 has a brighter future than GTE, some egos had to be set aside for the future.

But they certainly don't need to rush it, and clearly aren't. If we hear any confirmation of convergence before 2020, unless it's merely as an experiment by IMSA, I'll be stunned.
Old 9 Jan 2018, 14:45 (Ref:3791552)   #52
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
GTE barely makes sense as-is with how big GT3 has gotten. Some GT3 cars could approach previous-generation LMP2 speeds if they ran unrestricted.

In the big picture, the only benefit GTE has is that it's not quite as pricey as GT3. All GTE has to offer is an indication of what areas the SRO/FIA should put some limits on development in order to reign in GT3 costs. Aerodynamically the only difference between GT3 and GTE is the front splitter and rear wing. ESPECIALLY the rear wing.

The GTE/GT3 convergence is less of a convergence and more of a "figure out where to put some cost saving restrictions on GT3 and convince the ACO to shut down GTE." And the realization is probably what caused talks to break down in the last effort. But as things have made it all the more clear that GT3 has a brighter future than GTE, some egos had to be set aside for the future.

But they certainly don't need to rush it, and clearly aren't. If we hear any confirmation of convergence before 2020, unless it's merely as an experiment by IMSA, I'll be stunned.
Some pretty stout comments in there...
Old 9 Jan 2018, 20:54 (Ref:3791616)   #53
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
Some pretty stout comments in there...
Stout but true. GT3 is an absolutely crazy class in both good and bad ways, stabilizing it for the long-term future is the best overall move.
Old 9 Jan 2018, 21:05 (Ref:3791618)   #54
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

I have understood that the GTE was more expensive than the GT3, I remember reading that the main differences are the engines much closer to road car in GT3 and much more development of the GTE.
At least it is what I know until now, so could you give me more details of why GT3 is more expensive than GTE?
Old 9 Jan 2018, 22:47 (Ref:3791626)   #55
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
I have understood that the GTE was more expensive than the GT3, I remember reading that the main differences are the engines much closer to road car in GT3 and much more development of the GTE.
At least it is what I know until now, so could you give me more details of why GT3 is more expensive than GTE?
Well, for one thing, the claim that the engines are much closer to the road cars in GT3 is complete bunk. In GT3 you're not even required to use an engine that has any connection to the model being used - the only reason manufacturers do so is because they ARE required to base the engine on something from their road car lineup, and quite often the engine from the road car is the best base. GTE's displacement limit often causes the engine to be more different than in GT3, but said limit also ultimately puts a cap on what they can squeeze out of things, keeping the costs there in (relative) check.

Quick aside, that "relative" portion is important - I am not arguing, and nor should anyone with a brain, that anything about this stuff is cheap by the basic definition. We're talking cheap relative to each other.

The other reason GT3 has gotten so maddeningly expensive is because they have next to no restrictions regarding development of aerodynamics. Compare for example, the Corvette C7.R GTE:

To the Corvette C7 GT3-R GT3 car:

Right away you should be able to see how much crazier the rear wing is on the GT3. If you look more you'll notice a lot more crazy details in the aero around the wheel arches, and while those photos don't illustrate it very clearly the front splitter is a lot more developed on the GT3 version(I'd post photos to show that, but this post is bloated enough, so look it up yourself).

In the same vein, GT3 is far looser about suspension development than GTE.

So, to summarize, GT3 can do more with the engine, aero, and suspension than GTE can. This is why many cars are more expensive than GTE cars can tend to be.

This is not universal, of course - From what I've heard the Porsche GT3 is a fair bit cheaper than their GTE, and despite the craziness the above exampled Corvette apparently costs about the same as what Labre pays for theirs. But then you have the Ferrari, the GT3 version of which evidently costs more than the LMP2 chassis AND engine cost cap(and bear in mind that not all LMP2s are actually sold at the capped price), far more than teams get their GTE models for. The McLarens are up there in price as well, but they don't have a GTE car to compare to, and they're a company I imagine would build a GTE with a sky-high pricetag as well.

But by and large, GT3 cars are a fair bit pricier than GTE due to a far more open development allowance. The entire concept of the class was built around balancing cars of vastly different design, so it's frankly no surprise it's gone to such levels.

Performance-wise, the FIA GT3 BoP, used by Pirelli World Challenge, has been ~2 seconds slower than GTE at most US tracks. Both classes are restricted down from their full potential, but left unleashed most believe that GT3 cars would decimate the majority of GTE cars(the Ford GT is one of the few believed to be able to beat GT3 cars if all ran unrestricted). This is why not that long ago, a "Super GT3" idea was floated(during a rumored split from Class One regs by Super GT that ended up being completely baseless), and why the idea continues to be talked about by some engineers who like the idea of an enhanced version of an existing class.

Last edited by FormulaFox; 9 Jan 2018 at 22:55.
Old 10 Jan 2018, 00:42 (Ref:3791638)   #56
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Well, for one thing, the claim that the engines are much closer to the road cars in GT3 is complete bunk. In GT3 you're not even required to use an engine that has any connection to the model being used - the only reason manufacturers do so is because they ARE required to base the engine on something from their road car lineup, and quite often the engine from the road car is the best base. GTE's displacement limit often causes the engine to be more different than in GT3, but said limit also ultimately puts a cap on what they can squeeze out of things, keeping the costs there in (relative) check.

Quick aside, that "relative" portion is important - I am not arguing, and nor should anyone with a brain, that anything about this stuff is cheap by the basic definition. We're talking cheap relative to each other.

The other reason GT3 has gotten so maddeningly expensive is because they have next to no restrictions regarding development of aerodynamics. Compare for example, the Corvette C7.R GTE:

To the Corvette C7 GT3-R GT3 car:

Right away you should be able to see how much crazier the rear wing is on the GT3. If you look more you'll notice a lot more crazy details in the aero around the wheel arches, and while those photos don't illustrate it very clearly the front splitter is a lot more developed on the GT3 version(I'd post photos to show that, but this post is bloated enough, so look it up yourself).

In the same vein, GT3 is far looser about suspension development than GTE.

So, to summarize, GT3 can do more with the engine, aero, and suspension than GTE can. This is why many cars are more expensive than GTE cars can tend to be.

This is not universal, of course - From what I've heard the Porsche GT3 is a fair bit cheaper than their GTE, and despite the craziness the above exampled Corvette apparently costs about the same as what Labre pays for theirs. But then you have the Ferrari, the GT3 version of which evidently costs more than the LMP2 chassis AND engine cost cap(and bear in mind that not all LMP2s are actually sold at the capped price), far more than teams get their GTE models for. The McLarens are up there in price as well, but they don't have a GTE car to compare to, and they're a company I imagine would build a GTE with a sky-high pricetag as well.

But by and large, GT3 cars are a fair bit pricier than GTE due to a far more open development allowance. The entire concept of the class was built around balancing cars of vastly different design, so it's frankly no surprise it's gone to such levels.

Performance-wise, the FIA GT3 BoP, used by Pirelli World Challenge, has been ~2 seconds slower than GTE at most US tracks. Both classes are restricted down from their full potential, but left unleashed most believe that GT3 cars would decimate the majority of GTE cars(the Ford GT is one of the few believed to be able to beat GT3 cars if all ran unrestricted). This is why not that long ago, a "Super GT3" idea was floated(during a rumored split from Class One regs by Super GT that ended up being completely baseless), and why the idea continues to be talked about by some engineers who like the idea of an enhanced version of an existing class.
Thanks for your answer, I hope that the Super GT3 materializes at some moment.
Old 10 Jan 2018, 02:07 (Ref:3791646)   #57
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Thanks for your answer, I hope that the Super GT3 materializes at some moment.
Don't get your hopes up - there's no immediate need for such a class, and nobody is actively developing one. It's just a possibility that was floated by an unknown source during a time of concern that ended up being much ado about nothing, and it only endures in the minds of people like myself who like to think about intriguing potential classes.

There's no need for it unless there's a complete collapse of either LMP(and by complete I mean both P1 AND P2), or Class One.
Old 10 Jan 2018, 08:05 (Ref:3791673)   #58
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
GTE doesn't require using the same engine as the street car and multiple cars in the class do not.
Quote:
The engine must be derived from a series production Engine produced at more than 300 units and
fitted to a series vehicle from the same manufacturer.
The "crazy" bodywork on the Callaway GT3 is mostly styling. Some very good GT3s use almost identical bodywork to a GTE car.

GT3 cars being faster than GTE unrestricted might have been the case under the 2015 regulations but isn't really under the 2017 regulations that have given GTE cars similarly large aero devices. Most of the time GTE runs really restrictive BoP itself. Some GT3s might have bigger engines but they aren't engineered to run at significantly higher outputs regardless.

The 488 GT3's purchase price is really high but that doesn't account for what it includes. The GT3 and GTE only have around $60,000 worth different parts. The GTE almost certainly costs more per engine hour of the two though, and one of the reasons it's so expensive for a GT3 probably is that it's 90% by cost a GTE car and saving on development rather than taking advantage of GT3's looser rules to reduce costs for the customer.
Old 10 Jan 2018, 12:27 (Ref:3791711)   #59
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Of the cars in GTE, there are what 3 GT3 cars? Not a lot to compare what the GT3 vs GTE costs are. And one is a GTE car with a parts kit to make it GT3, and if I recall about 125k to move up. But far easier to get a GT3 and build your GTE as Risi did with the sadly quickly wrecked car at LM. Corvette is two very different builders so comparing costs, or design, is a fool's errand. And Posrche, well the engine isn't even in the same spot so no point in comparing there. But of those three I've seen numbers tossed around to indicate the GTEs are more expensive and harder to get. And well a Corvette GTE, better luck breeding unicorns there.

But maybe those with numbers can actually share, it doesn't seem to me the higher expense and speed of GT3 is really reflected. Especially when it is often an UNRESTRICTED GT3 compared to a rules restrained GTE. Compare them at max ability or by their own rules but don't pick and chose.
Old 10 Jan 2018, 12:50 (Ref:3791716)   #60
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The Ferrari 488 GTE comes out cheaper if you buy the GT3 version and the GTE conversion kit from Ferrari, rather than buying the GTE version straight from them.

It sounds barmy, but I assume there's a good reason for it.
Old 10 Jan 2018, 12:57 (Ref:3791718)   #61
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Biggest problem is that the rules between GTE and GT3 in detail are divergent enough that the only car that I know of that can be converted directly from one spec to another is the 488. And it's reportedly actually cheaper to buy the GT3 and the GTE conversion kit than the ready built GTE car.

Also, GTE is biased (supposedly) towards factory teams. GT3 is supposed to be customer based. However, several times, especially on the GT3 side, the line does get blurred due to the mount of support that the car makers throw toward favored teams.

What I'm actually interested in is how much the average GTE and average GT3 car cost, and how much per mile/kilometer they cost to operate and run. And how much in terms of personnel on the team does it take to run a car as well.

But at the end of the day, GT3 has proven to be a profit center (thus far) for car makers who run customer based programs. GTE hasn't been that way since the GT2 days. As long as there's willing customers willing to pay what the market will bear and setting that statute, GT3 will be OK as a formula.

As far as individual series go, though, it goes back to supply and demand.
Old 10 Jan 2018, 13:19 (Ref:3791723)   #62
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
The Ferrari 488 GTE comes out cheaper if you buy the GT3 version and the GTE conversion kit from Ferrari, rather than buying the GTE version straight from them.

It sounded like that was Risi's thoughts behind getting the car that way. Plus as they said, you have all the bits to make it a GT3 car again depending on the investor's needs/desires. But then it is a racing Ferrari and pedigree is king. Running LM, Daytona, Sebring, Spa and other big events has to add to the value.
Old 10 Jan 2018, 14:30 (Ref:3791734)   #63
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
This is a neat picture of the 2 Risi Ferrari's right next to each other. One is GTLM. The other is GT3. They look identical.

http://www.dailysportscar.com/wp-con...daytona-04.jpg
Old 10 Jan 2018, 18:40 (Ref:3791788)   #64
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
This is a neat picture of the 2 Risi Ferrari's right next to each other. One is GTLM. The other is GT3. They look identical.

That is a nice shot. thanks!

As far as other models that are similar between GTE and GT3, I remember seeing the Viper GTE next to the GT3 in Riley's paddock area a few years ago with bodywork removed, and there was a ton of difference between the two - even for my untrained eye. We could have added the BMW M6 last year as well to this comparison, but i don't know how similar those models were.
Old 10 Jan 2018, 19:08 (Ref:3791799)   #65
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
That was also a problem in the Grand Am days and early combined ALMS/GA/WTSC days. GT3 derived cars had to be built to a different spec than FIA/SRO specs, mostly roll cage.

I'd think that a similar platform where it takes only minor changes between the specs would be ideal. "Problem" there, is wouldn't GT3/GTE unification make sense then?
Old 10 Jan 2018, 19:28 (Ref:3791803)   #66
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
That is a nice shot. thanks!

As far as other models that are similar between GTE and GT3, I remember seeing the Viper GTE next to the GT3 in Riley's paddock area a few years ago with bodywork removed, and there was a ton of difference between the two - even for my untrained eye. We could have added the BMW M6 last year as well to this comparison, but i don't know how similar those models were.
The M6 was a modded GT3 to meet IMSA GTLM spec so I'm guessing very close in spec between the two cars. They were the early adopters of the still-born GTE/GT3 convergence talks.
Old 10 Jan 2018, 19:40 (Ref:3791808)   #67
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

It is Ferrari, so maybe not.
Old 10 Jan 2018, 19:41 (Ref:3791809)   #68
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the solution is simple honestly, but not sure it would ever been taken up..

1- drop GTE cars, just run GT3. In WEC GT3 could run as full factory efforts. In Blancpain for example only as semi factory.

2- cost cap GT3 cars... the cost of the car to purchase as the limiting factor. Then in WEC you bring a factory budget and all factory guns, the car is the affordable bit, the program cost depends on the other variables..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10 Jan 2018, 20:43 (Ref:3791827)   #69
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbsmith View Post
GTE doesn't require using the same engine as the street car and multiple cars in the class do not.
Every car currently homologated in GTE is using an engine derived from the road car model's engine.

Quote:
The "crazy" bodywork on the Callaway GT3 is mostly styling.
No it is not. All of those elements are done for aerodynamic performance - racecars are not designed to look good, they're designed to function properly - this goes for GT cars as well. They ahve to retain the roadcar appearance, yes, but those extensions are still designed to FUNCTION as effectively as possible.

Quote:
Some very good GT3s use almost identical bodywork to a GTE car.
Only in the most basic of appearance. When you loo kat the details it quickly becomes apparent that GT3 cars with a GTE equivalent tend to have more "developed" aero on the GT3 car, even if it is only in subtle ways. (for example: I'll bet you missed those big intakes on the rear fenders of the Corvette GT3)

Quote:
GT3 cars being faster than GTE unrestricted might have been the case under the 2015 regulations but isn't really under the 2017 regulations that have given GTE cars similarly large aero devices.
It's not simply the size that's the issue here - GTE aerodynamic devices are required to be rather simple, whilst with a GT3 car you can do far more. In the above pictures, it wasn't the SIZE of the rear wings I was making a point about, it was their DESIGNS.

Quote:
Some GT3s might have bigger engines but they aren't engineered to run at significantly higher outputs regardless.
In most cases, they ARE tuned for significantly more power. By engineering them to run significantly more power than they'll be bopped at, the engine will be more reliable once restricted down.

Quote:
The 488 GT3's purchase price is really high but that doesn't account for what it includes. The GT3 and GTE only have around $60,000 worth different parts.
That's not the point here. As an aside, I ignored the even more expensive McLaren due to it not being present in GTD. The matter just isn't as simple as you make it out to be.
Old 10 Jan 2018, 20:55 (Ref:3791828)   #70
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
But you haven't offered anything beyond you think. What are the "more developed" bits on each GT3 car? Is there a bend in the Callaway Vette wing tips for a GT3 specific rule or NOT bent based on GTE rules? And what specific benefit does it provide?

You've made claims with ZERO evidence to back them up. Claims without evidence is hot air and conjecture not fact.
Old 10 Jan 2018, 22:07 (Ref:3791849)   #71
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Sounds odd, but presumably the reason is Ferrari have a higher profit margin on the GT3, despite selling it for a lower price?
Can't think of another reason otherwise.
Old 10 Jan 2018, 22:10 (Ref:3791851)   #72
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
But far easier to get a GT3 and build your GTE as Risi did
Pardon my ignorance here (I'm not technically minded, or that bothered about the technical rules, so I've never had the inclination to learn about them), but does that mean one could buy any GT3 car and 'simply' convert it to GTE?
Say, if you bought a GT3 Lambo, could it be converted the GTE spec?
Old 10 Jan 2018, 22:22 (Ref:3791854)   #73
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post
Pardon my ignorance here (I'm not technically minded, or that bothered about the technical rules, so I've never had the inclination to learn about them), but does that mean one could buy any GT3 car and 'simply' convert it to GTE?
Say, if you bought a GT3 Lambo, could it be converted the GTE spec?
That's a Ferrari specific bit of kit, just the way they had Michelotto build the GTs. It's not applicable to other cars
Old 10 Jan 2018, 22:54 (Ref:3791861)   #74
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post

To my untrained eye, there seems to more going on on the gt3. Like louvresover front wheels, and maybe it's just shadowing, but extra bodywork in the opening in front of the rear wheel. Makes the gt3 look more high tech than gtlm.
Old 10 Jan 2018, 23:55 (Ref:3791865)   #75
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Every car currently homologated in GTE is using an engine derived from the road car model's engine.
The Corvette is still using a Gen IV small block while all the street cars are Gen V. I don't think Porsche has ever stopped using the 997 GT2 engine either.

Quote:
No it is not. All of those elements are done for aerodynamic performance - racecars are not designed to look good, they're designed to function properly - this goes for GT cars as well. They ahve to retain the roadcar appearance, yes, but those extensions are still designed to FUNCTION as effectively as possible.
It's not just a Corvette race car, it's a CALLAWAY Corvette designed with the same stylist that worked on the Sledgehammer, C7, and C12. That's why it has things like the C7 style bent rear wing that isn't used on any other GT car.
http://www.deutschmandesign.com/en/car/Callaway_GT3-R

Quote:
Only in the most basic of appearance.
No, the Viper and 488 legitimately use almost entirely the same bodywork except for some bolt on devices and venting differences.

Quote:
GTE aerodynamic devices are required to be rather simple
Not anymore. That's why Porsche had to move the engine.

http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/f...-gte-gt3-cars/
Quote:
Cannizzo said the biggest difference between the GTE and GT3 Evos are the adaptations to its respective set of regulations, as well as less engine development to the GT3 model.

“What we can say is that we have a common baseline and the GTE has a couple of features more because we can allow that,” he said. “It’s a different concept of car. One is made for customer racing, the other one is more for professional racing.
One of the Risi engineers did think the GT3 would potentially be a bit quicker than the GTE, because for that specific car it probably does have a bit better downforce with the front fender louvers and vents. For Porsche, whose GT3 car is much cheaper, much more basic aerodynamically, presumably requires much less restriction to reach the performance targets and is engineered more for gentleman drivers, not a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post
1- drop GTE cars, just run GT3. In WEC GT3 could run as full factory efforts. In Blancpain for example only as semi factory.
The thing about this is there's all those "last 1%" preparation bits that you leave off a customer car because 99% of the time they aren't necessary, but that the manufacturers can't stand to not have just in case when they are running factory teams at Le Mans. Stuff like redundant electronics costs significant amounts of money but offers no performance advantage unless something goes wrong, but you can't afford to not have that backup if you're leading at Le Mans and it does go wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I remember seeing the Viper GTE next to the GT3 in Riley's paddock area a few years ago with bodywork removed, and there was a ton of difference between the two - even for my untrained eye.
I think the GT3 Viper was basically running a stock engine? So the engine bay was quite a bit different even though they had pretty much the same chassis engineering.