Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 14 Jan 2018, 14:06 (Ref:3792680)   #1301
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Frankly I'm amazed at Dynamics lack of progress; contrast with the relative minnow like Simon Belchers HMS who have done a deal and built a motor in next to no time. It's not like the new Civic was a last minute idea; it goes back to middle of last summer allegedly. I'd love to see a prepared and on it Rob Austin muller Flash and Matt. 😊
Old 14 Jan 2018, 14:24 (Ref:3792684)   #1302
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BTCC 2018 Rumours & Silly Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Frankly I'm amazed at Dynamics lack of progress; contrast with the relative minnow like Simon Belchers HMS who have done a deal and built a motor in next to no time. It's not like the new Civic was a last minute idea; it goes back to middle of last summer allegedly. I'd love to see a prepared and on it Rob Austin muller Flash and Matt.

The Alfa is a current model so a body shell is available to start prepping. HMS only have to build one car for the start of the new season.

The new Type R is only just available so Team Dynamics have probably had to wait longer to get their hands on a new shell, if they even have it yet. They will need to build 2 cars for the new season so building a rolling shell for the tyre kickers at ASI is not a priority.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 14 Jan 2018, 17:04 (Ref:3792701)   #1303
BLiTZ
Racer

United Kingdom
BLiTZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
...also I imagine when TD build a car from scratch they put a lot more R&D and design work into it. That's why their cars are up near the top on a regular basis and some smaller builds struggle to break the mid-pack consistently.

Not knocking HMS's efforts, but the NGTC formula has proven it's not hard to build a car from scratch, but to build a good one takes time and effort.
Old 14 Jan 2018, 17:50 (Ref:3792707)   #1304
jsmee
Veteran

England
Essex, UK
jsmee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Saw Plato was on the main stage today - the live stream misses the start of his interview. Anyone catch any hints about his plans for 2018?

All I heard was how he "can't wait to get stuck in".
Old 14 Jan 2018, 18:32 (Ref:3792716)   #1305
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLiTZ View Post
...also I imagine when TD build a car from scratch they put a lot more R&D and design work into it. That's why their cars are up near the top on a regular basis
IIRC, the last NGTC car that they built from the ground up was only completed in the week before the 1st round. With the second of the cars only getting its shakedown on the Saturday?

That car though, as reported at Wikipedia:

'being the first [...] built fully to the Next Generation Touring Car specification. [...] the first NGTC car to win a BTCC race [...] winning the drivers' championship,[...] the team winning the team's championship [...] winning the manufacturers' title.'

So I wouldn't be too concerned just yet about TD not having a car at ASI.
Old 14 Jan 2018, 20:05 (Ref:3792729)   #1306
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They'll be hoping it's not like the 07 Civic.... A non runner at media day and it's 4th season before it reached it's potential.
Old 14 Jan 2018, 20:26 (Ref:3792732)   #1307
thlbtcc
Veteran

thlbtcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the words of Matt Neal, the new car is "delayed" but they are hopeful.

Toyota PR chief changing tune slightly about previous Avensis comments?

"Ah, I can see why. I did say possibly."

https://twitter.com/ToyotaPR/status/951761141277036544
Old 14 Jan 2018, 21:17 (Ref:3792740)   #1308
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_l View Post
The new Type R is only just available so Team Dynamics have probably had to wait...
I drove a Type R in Germany months ago... September IIRC!

The vanilla new Civic was on sale a few months before that, so waiting for chassis would seem odd if that is the reason they're not ready.
Old 14 Jan 2018, 21:23 (Ref:3792742)   #1309
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by thlbtcc View Post
In the words of Matt Neal, the new car is "delayed" but they are hopeful.

Toyota PR chief changing tune slightly about previous Avensis comments?

"Ah, I can see why. I did say possibly."

https://twitter.com/ToyotaPR/status/951761141277036544
Tingram is racing the Toyota. I haven't seen that officially stated anywhere mind... (yet)
Old 14 Jan 2018, 21:38 (Ref:3792743)   #1310
luckn002
Veteran

England
South England
luckn002 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Tingram is racing the Toyota. I haven't seen that officially stated anywhere mind... (yet)
I would rather this than anything else. If he sticks with the Avensis I think he'll win the championship this year.
Old 14 Jan 2018, 22:56 (Ref:3792752)   #1311
CarfanLUFC
Racer

Zimbabwe
A Yorkshire Farm
CarfanLUFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCarfanLUFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At least there is no Howard to BMR rumours this season?

Be very interested to see who ends up at AMD's MG's, especially as it seems that Taylor-Smith is out of the picture.

Really hope Proctor back at Power Maxed
Old 15 Jan 2018, 04:53 (Ref:3792803)   #1312
Racing Harz
Veteran

Germany
Herzberg am Harz
Racing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRacing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rullo stays in Australia.
http://www.supercars.com/news/super2...?sf179225703=1
Old 15 Jan 2018, 07:55 (Ref:3792811)   #1313
Steel Wheels
Veteran

Steel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSteel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
He pretty much said as much asked when chatting with him at ASI. He said they weren’t using Geoff Kingston much as only making operational changes to the car, hence Geoff’s move to a ‘new challenge’.

Still can’t help feeling they might not be a one car team this year!
Old 15 Jan 2018, 08:27 (Ref:3792818)   #1314
AdrianM
Racer

AdrianM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Frankly I'm amazed at Dynamics lack of progress; contrast with the relative minnow like Simon Belchers HMS who have done a deal and built a motor in next to no time. It's not like the new Civic was a last minute idea; it goes back to middle of last summer allegedly. I'd love to see a prepared and on it Rob Austin muller Flash and Matt. 😊
The Alfa is far from a finished car though.
Old 15 Jan 2018, 11:19 (Ref:3792855)   #1315
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
So if Tingram is pretty much saying they will stick with the Toyota, it seems that is sorted. Yes I wouldn't be surprised if they run a second car, maybe with a different make like in 2016
Old 15 Jan 2018, 12:21 (Ref:3792871)   #1316
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think we're going into Media Day 2018 with more question marks than in recent seasons. Not always a bad thing.
Old 15 Jan 2018, 13:31 (Ref:3792881)   #1317
Ry44
Racer

Ry44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok so a couple of Intresting Articles from TCF today

https://www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/2...mr-imminently/

https://www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/2...c-test-outing/
Old 15 Jan 2018, 14:08 (Ref:3792885)   #1318
Minicross424
Veteran

United Kingdom
Ashford Kent
Minicross424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry44 View Post
Well if he does and Sutton creams him then he will retire.
Old 15 Jan 2018, 14:24 (Ref:3792888)   #1319
ILikeCars
Rookie

ILikeCars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagey318 View Post
Heard a rumour Kia are coming...
Blimey not the Kia's, next thing we know there will be Dacia's
Old 15 Jan 2018, 14:25 (Ref:3792889)   #1320
ILikeCars
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
The Alfa is far from a finished car though.
I heard that they're still waiting for a left wheel nut from Sydney
Old 15 Jan 2018, 14:33 (Ref:3792891)   #1321
ILikeCars
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckn002 View Post
though Knockhill and Rockingham have switched and a shorter summer break. 60th anniversary year, do we think they'll do anything special?
I heard that they're putting Plato into a Ford, absolute travesty if you ask me
Old 15 Jan 2018, 14:33 (Ref:3792892)   #1322
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry44 View Post
Ok so a couple of Intresting Articles from TCF today

https://www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/2...mr-imminently/
I still don't understand this mysterious problem with Platos car after that crash. Plato has been talking about it for race weekend after race weekend. He's still talking about it in terms of it being a mystery now, months after the season end, and presumably whilst preparations for this next season are in full swing.

I don't like Plato, but begrudgingly you have to respect his speed and consistency year after year. There has to be some explanation as to why he all of a sudden had such a poor season.

I thought they had a test when he drove Suttons car, to compare the two and sort this out? I'm no engineer, so perhaps someone could explain what it could possibly be. I know they are not an F1 team with a Zillion dollar budget, but surely you would expect them to get to the bottom of it after a race weekend or two?

Will the team give him a brand new car for this season, or reshell his old one? Or are we going to hear much more about this mysterious problem?
Old 15 Jan 2018, 14:34 (Ref:3792893)   #1323
ILikeCars
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post
I think we're going into Media Day 2018 with more question marks than in recent seasons. Not always a bad thing.
How many question marks?
Old 15 Jan 2018, 14:36 (Ref:3792894)   #1324
ILikeCars
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
I still don't understand this mysterious problem with Platos car after that crash. Plato has been talking about it for race weekend after race weekend. He's still talking about it in terms of it being a mystery now, months after the season end, and presumably whilst preparations for this next season are in full swing.

I don't like Plato, but begrudgingly you have to respect his speed and consistency year after year. There has to be some explanation as to why he all of a sudden had such a poor season.

I thought they had a test when he drove Suttons car, to compare the two and sort this out? I'm no engineer, so perhaps someone could explain what it could possibly be. I know they are not an F1 team with a Zillion dollar budget, but surely you would expect them to get to the bottom of it after a race weekend or two?

Will the team give him a brand new car for this season, or reshell his old one? Or are we going to hear much more about this mysterious problem?
Just a point of consideration, I heard that McLaren was planning on funding Plato this year. Essentially giving him a Zillion Dollar Budget. Watch out Sutton is all I can say!
Old 15 Jan 2018, 16:00 (Ref:3792914)   #1325
AdrianM
Racer

AdrianM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeCars View Post
I heard that they're still waiting for a left wheel nut from Sydney
I bet the mechanics wish that were the case...