Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 12 Feb 2018, 18:03 (Ref:3800751)   #1751
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Drivers affected by the date change (IMSA/WEC)
Olivier Pla (ESM / Ford)
Nicolas Lapierre (ESM / Alpine)
Mike Conway (AXP / Toyota)
Renger van der Zande (WTR / DragonSpeed)
Bruno Senna (United Autosport / Rebellion)
Harry Tincknell (Mazda / Ford)
Oliver Jarvis (Mazda / JCDC???)
Eddie Cheever III (SoD / MR Racing)
Jorg Bergmeister (Park Place / Project 1)
Patrick Lindsey (Park Place / Project 1)

I’m guessing the factory GTLM / GTE teams for Porsche, Ferrari (if Risi is at PLM), BMW, and maybe Ford run 2 drivers at Fuji and 3 at PLM. Most of the GTE-Pro teams went down to 2 drivers post-Le Mans last year anyways.

There is also the fact that Kamui Kobayashi & Kazuki Nakajima are slated to race for the factory Lexus Teams at Autopolis in the Super GT Series that werkend. The ACO royally FUBARed this one.

Last edited by Dyson Mazda; 12 Feb 2018 at 18:15.
Old 12 Feb 2018, 18:23 (Ref:3800753)   #1752
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Don't worry, Fernando will be there so there will be 200,000 fans at the circuit and it'll get a million TV viewers.

My work just happens to clash with Sebring. Think they'll move it for me? I kinda hope the drivers doing double duty all choose IMSA. But I'm guessing there will be a bit of a split.
Old 12 Feb 2018, 18:39 (Ref:3800754)   #1753
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Don't worry, Fernando will be there so there will be 200,000 fans at the circuit and it'll get a million TV viewers.

My work just happens to clash with Sebring. Think they'll move it for me? I kinda hope the drivers doing double duty all choose IMSA. But I'm guessing there will be a bit of a split.
Ask not what Fernando can do for us, but what we can do for Fernando. All hail Fernando The Savior.
Old 12 Feb 2018, 20:42 (Ref:3800777)   #1754
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson Mazda View Post
There is also the fact that Kamui Kobayashi & Kazuki Nakajima are slated to race for the factory Lexus Teams at Autopolis in the Super GT Series that werkend. The ACO royally FUBARed this one.
It has been claimed on other sites that SuperGT is inclined to move their event but no one was clear if they had been asked yet. Especially as Toyota does a fair amount of promotion work there as well so no big surprise if that event moves.
Old 12 Feb 2018, 20:56 (Ref:3800778)   #1755
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
Ask not what Fernando can do for us, but what we can do for Fernando. All hail Fernando The Savior.
The WEC 2018/19, “Where the premier class is going to suck, but at least we’ve got Fernando.”
Old 12 Feb 2018, 21:00 (Ref:3800779)   #1756
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
It has been claimed on other sites that SuperGT is inclined to move their event but no one was clear if they had been asked yet. Especially as Toyota does a fair amount of promotion work there as well so no big surprise if that event moves.
How can 1 man’s ability to race in 1 race be worth this much headache to the international Motorsports community? McLaren better be getting some money / future well funded F1 engine deal out of this.

Last edited by Dyson Mazda; 12 Feb 2018 at 21:05.
Old 12 Feb 2018, 22:18 (Ref:3800803)   #1757
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Quote:
The WEC 2018/19, “Where the premier class is going to suck, but at least we’ve got Fernando.”
10 full season cars, how many were there last year? I don't get why the premier class is going to "suck".

You're my friend and all, but come on man, give it a rest.
Old 12 Feb 2018, 22:30 (Ref:3800806)   #1758
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

I think for the WEC the LMP1 cars will put on a show. Come LM however, I fear the limits of not getting your car until March or April will make a 24 hour race a crapshoot. I have this feeling another LMP2 will lead, and this time win overall.

Quote:
How can 1 man’s ability to race in 1 race be worth this much headache to the international Motorsports community? McLaren better be getting some money / future well funded F1 engine deal out of this.
I think for SuperGT it's they are more flexible with their races and well Toyota is a big part of SuperGT. But then all I heard were comments along the of course they'd move for Toyota and there's plenty of open space in their calendar, and lots of guest drivers so they may still get subs for any WEC driver. But then it is a LOT closer to Fuji so they are competing for butts in seats too so that's a consideration as well.
Old 12 Feb 2018, 22:33 (Ref:3800807)   #1759
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLFalconsFAN View Post
10 full season cars, how many were there last year? I don't get why the premier class is going to "suck".

You're my friend and all, but come on man, give it a rest.
Eh it is going to be a Toyota runaway and we all know it (like Merc F1 circa 2014). We will see how the new privateers go. I understand it is a transition year but this is shaping up to be a repeat of when Audi took on the world and Audi won......everything......and then everyone else left and the ACO had to create Pro/Am classes to bring them back.

I am really interested to see what they do with the 2020 rules though.
Old 13 Feb 2018, 00:05 (Ref:3800826)   #1760
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Let's just calm down and go get some tacos already.

I might have some good news.
Old 13 Feb 2018, 00:34 (Ref:3800829)   #1761
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
First of all, the logistics argument is bunk - it's a one week shift well in advance of when the teams finalize the scheduling....
Ahem.....

Quote:
Olivier Pla (ESM / Ford)

I’m guessing the factory GTLM / GTE teams for Porsche, Ferrari (if Risi is at PLM), BMW, and maybe Ford run 2 drivers at Fuji and 3 at PLM. Most of the GTE-Pro teams went down to 2 drivers post-Le Mans last year anyways.

Old 13 Feb 2018, 03:06 (Ref:3800845)   #1762
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Olivier Pla (ESM / Ford)

Thanks for the list, looks like some big names with decisions to make. From a contractual perspective I'd like to know how this shakes out. I suppose the drivers/teams respective positions in September will dictate how this unfolds.
Old 13 Feb 2018, 03:27 (Ref:3800852)   #1763
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
Ahem.....
Irrelevant. When most people refer to "logistics" they're not referring to the drivers, but the transfer of equipment - my comment was no exception.

Additionally, I was not referring specifically to this matter, but to the notion of a one-week shift in scheduling this far out from an event in a general sense.
Old 13 Feb 2018, 04:07 (Ref:3800856)   #1764
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Quote:
Irrelevant. When most people refer to "logistics" they're not referring to the drivers, but the transfer of equipment - my comment was no exception.
Quote:
lo·gis·tics
ləˈjistiks
noun | plural noun: logistics

the detailed coordination of a complex operation involving many people, facilities, or supplies.
Apparently drivers aren't people
Old 13 Feb 2018, 12:06 (Ref:3800924)   #1765
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Apparently drivers aren't people
What people are referring to when using a term does not always match the dictionary definition. Especially when dealing with more complex matters.

When discussing these sorts of matters, most people consider personnel separate from logistics - I am no exception to this.

And it's for a very simple reason... Arrangements for personnel -Plane tickets, hotel bookings, etc- are a considerably simpler matter than the actual transfer of the hardware - just ask Strakka Racing and M-Sport, whose cars were delayed getting to Bathurst despite being shipped out on time. A delay in the arrival of personnel due to a late flight wouldn't cause nearly as much of a headache as that did.

But this is frankly just dragging out a bunch of nitpicking(both of the wording of my original comments and the definition of logistics), and we've been off-topic for a little too long so if you want to drop a final comment on the issue, post it and let's move on.
Old 13 Feb 2018, 12:51 (Ref:3800939)   #1766
JLGarcia
Racer

JLGarcia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJLGarcia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Because 2 well-funded factory hybrids vs 8 privateers in brand-new cars that may or may not be sorted and whose funding ranges from "not bad" to "the give-a-penny-take-a-penny dish at the bodega" maybe doesn't sound like the most exciting thing in the world?

It's going to take an absolute Toyota meltdown to make P1 anything more than a curiosity.
Old 13 Feb 2018, 13:05 (Ref:3800943)   #1767
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Quote:
But this is frankly just dragging out a bunch of nitpicking(both of the wording of my original comments and the definition of logistics), and we've been off-topic for a little too long so if you want to drop a final comment on the issue, post it and let's move on.

It's only 8am and I can guarantee this is the funniest thing I will read all day!

This statement, coming from you...
Old 13 Feb 2018, 21:13 (Ref:3801111)   #1768
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:

It's only 8am and I can guarantee this is the funniest thing I will read all day!

This statement, coming from you...
I've always been aware that I nitpick a lot. Just because I do it doesn't mean I've never been aware of it. Everyone does it, even those who actively insist they don't. (I find they tend to be the most nitpicky of all)
Old 13 Feb 2018, 22:10 (Ref:3801124)   #1769
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
Let's just calm down and go get some tacos already.
Most sensible statement of late. Beef, chicken or carnitas? Soft shell or hard shell? Gringo or Mexican?

Let's see if we can start an argument about those choices.
Old 13 Feb 2018, 22:59 (Ref:3801141)   #1770
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
There is a Greenville contingent embarking on this age old political minefield of tacos as a Valentine's present to ourselves.

Will report casualties in about 26 hours.
Old 14 Feb 2018, 00:17 (Ref:3801152)   #1771
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Most sensible statement of late. Beef, chicken or carnitas? Soft shell or hard shell? Gringo or Mexican?
Don't go forgetting fish or shrimp as viable options. Soft. Mexigo. And don't forget the cilantro in the salsa
Old 14 Feb 2018, 03:43 (Ref:3801167)   #1772
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
Don't go forgetting fish or shrimp as viable options. Soft. Mexigo. And don't forget the cilantro in the salsa
Didn't forget. Just don't like fish and don't want shrimp in a taco.

Salsas? Don't get me started!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
There is a Greenville contingent embarking on this age old political minefield of tacos as a Valentine's present to ourselves.

Will report casualties in about 26 hours.
Can't wait to hear!
Old 14 Feb 2018, 05:26 (Ref:3801180)   #1773
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLGarcia View Post
Because 2 well-funded factory hybrids vs 8 privateers in brand-new cars that may or may not be sorted and whose funding ranges from "not bad" to "the give-a-penny-take-a-penny dish at the bodega" maybe doesn't sound like the most exciting thing in the world?

It's going to take an absolute Toyota meltdown to make P1 anything more than a curiosity.
Sounds like DPi, except not as bad. At least there's only two Toyota's, in DPi you now have 4 Cadillac's! The worst part is in DPi, it's supposed to be a BOP class, but they're never that equal. In lmp1, if someone does a better job, it's because they actually did a better job. Though I do think the Oreca Acura will be a challenge to the Caddy dominance and I think the private lmp1's will be really fast with 700hp and 833kg.
Old 14 Feb 2018, 12:51 (Ref:3801275)   #1774
JLGarcia
Racer

JLGarcia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJLGarcia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Sounds like DPi, except not as bad.
You should probably see a medic, as I'm sure you've torn a rotator cuff with a reach like that.

Quote:
At least there's only two Toyota's, in DPi you now have 4 Cadillac's!
Hmmm...last year a Nissan DPi and a Ligier P2 also won races (and an Oreca missed out only due to poor strategy). How many non-Toyotas do you think will win this year?

Quote:
In lmp1, if someone does a better job, it's because they actually did a better job.
I guess that's one way of saying "has the power and budget of top-tier global automaker and is competing against privateers in unproven (and in some cases rushed) customer cars-slash-vanity projects."

As I said, without a full-on Toyota meltdown, the rest of the P1 field is spending astronomical amounts of cash to fight for 3rd.
Old 14 Feb 2018, 16:22 (Ref:3801306)   #1775
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
TF110 is a Toyota/Lexus fanboy though.

I'd expect his tune to do a 180 if Toyota pulls out and a Lexus DPi happens.