Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 7 Apr 2018, 15:07 (Ref:3813625)   #8276
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
So what is the point of this 'farewell tour'?
Old 7 Apr 2018, 15:12 (Ref:3813628)   #8277
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TzeiTzei View Post
Now that's a proper rear wing Is the nose also different?
Yes. Looks like more of a sloped leading edge to try to get air over the fenders instead of around the side...because there's no BHH anywhere on it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Probably the same roi as WEC
Old 7 Apr 2018, 15:20 (Ref:3813635)   #8278
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Basically a big middle finger to racing fans.
Old 7 Apr 2018, 15:38 (Ref:3813639)   #8279
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Keeping the team together and "trained" for a future project?
Old 7 Apr 2018, 15:40 (Ref:3813641)   #8280
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sounds kind of pointless

It would be funnier if they entered one 919 for 6 Hours of Shanghai or something and watched what the reactions would be lol
Old 7 Apr 2018, 15:41 (Ref:3813642)   #8281
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by EffectiveSprinkles View Post
Basically a big middle finger to racing fans.
I couldn't agree less to that remark.
I would much rather see a racing car on a race track - doing something, than sitting in a museum for show.
Personally I think a lot of racing fans would agree with me on this.
Old 7 Apr 2018, 15:51 (Ref:3813646)   #8282
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
I would much rather see a racing car on a race track - doing something, than sitting in a museum for show.
As a race fan, I'd rather see a racing car on a race track, racing other racing cars instead of doing demonstration laps.
Old 7 Apr 2018, 15:53 (Ref:3813647)   #8283
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
I'm not inclined to be happy with breadcrumbs like that.
Old 7 Apr 2018, 15:53 (Ref:3813648)   #8284
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
As a race fan, I'd rather see a racing car on a race track, racing other racing cars instead of doing demonstration laps.
True, but that not being an option, I take Time Attack over museum any day.
Old 7 Apr 2018, 15:53 (Ref:3813651)   #8285
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Demo runs and historic racing never fails to disappoint. Every year I looked forward to the historic race at Le Mans. Every year it was just cars driving around at half throttle in a low gear.

I can take or leave these sort of demonstration runs. Maybe this will be different since they're modifying it, presumably to go for lap records and other such stuff. But if it wasn't doing this, I wouldn't miss it.
Old 7 Apr 2018, 15:56 (Ref:3813652)   #8286
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Too bad they can't enter it for Masters Endurance Legends (the cutoff year is 2012 and also hybrids are not eligible), where it could have battled Pug 908 and others at the French GP support bill.
Old 7 Apr 2018, 16:33 (Ref:3813673)   #8287
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I'm with you on this. There's something slightly disingenuous about this for my liking. Having got what they wanted from the WEC and Le Mans and then baled, to do a 'farewell tour' with the batteries in the hybrid system barely cold? Nah. Frankly, it means nothing to me.
Old 7 Apr 2018, 16:51 (Ref:3813682)   #8288
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I'm with you on this. There's something slightly disingenuous about this for my liking. Having got what they wanted from the WEC and Le Mans and then baled, to do a 'farewell tour' with the batteries in the hybrid system barely cold? Nah. Frankly, it means nothing to me.
It just seems a little pointless.
Old 7 Apr 2018, 17:15 (Ref:3813701)   #8289
GingerPixel
Racer

GingerPixel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGingerPixel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Preparation to obliterate the Pikes Peak record?
Old 7 Apr 2018, 17:36 (Ref:3813711)   #8290
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerPixel View Post
Preparation to obliterate the Pikes Peak record?
I was thinking that but more along the lines of they should take it to pikes peak and do a meaningful lap time that gains headlines instead of the farewell tour (if they aren't going to race). They won't though, because VW has their own car with a mega rear wing and all electric to go for the record this year.
Old 7 Apr 2018, 21:39 (Ref:3813773)   #8291
TRuss
Veteran

TRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To be more specific they are going for the electric record.

You guys really are a bunch of grumps. This sounds way more exciting to me than a WEC race. I'm looking forward to seeing what it can do.
Old 7 Apr 2018, 22:18 (Ref:3813781)   #8292
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRuss View Post
You guys really are a bunch of grumps. This sounds way more exciting to me than a WEC race.
Not sure if serious
Old 7 Apr 2018, 23:16 (Ref:3813800)   #8293
TRuss
Veteran

TRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
100 percent.
Old 8 Apr 2018, 07:04 (Ref:3813889)   #8294
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Porsche has a bit of tradition with this anyway. Last achievement by Mark Donohue before his untimely death in a F1 car at the Osterreichring was taking the recently-retired 917/30 at Talladega (with Porsche engineers on hand of course) to set a closed-course speed record.
Old 8 Apr 2018, 07:12 (Ref:3813890)   #8295
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRuss View Post
To be more specific they are going for the electric record.

You guys really are a bunch of grumps. This sounds way more exciting to me than a WEC race. I'm looking forward to seeing what it can do.
I wouldn't be surprised if it takes the outright record. That thing is supposed to have some serious power. It'd be cool to see this Porsche do it, but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 8 Apr 2018, 07:30 (Ref:3813895)   #8296
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
It would be a fine thing to do if the car was no longer eligible for the series they were racing in rather than having voluntarily quit for reasons that continuing to run the car rather contradicts.

The damn thing has floor extensions too.
Old 8 Apr 2018, 07:49 (Ref:3813902)   #8297
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbsmith View Post
It would be a fine thing to do if the car was no longer eligible for the series they were racing in rather than having voluntarily quit for reasons that continuing to run the car rather contradicts.

The damn thing has floor extensions too.
Pretty much this. The 919 program wasn't cancelled under duress, as the 908 was.

While I want to be pleased to see the 919 back on track, this smacks of Porsche throwing a bone to their engineers and to fans, expecting us to slavishly lap it up.
Old 8 Apr 2018, 11:54 (Ref:3813961)   #8298
Deleted
Veteran

It's not them bailing out itself that bothers me, you know that's the natural evolution in any kind of racing... What bothers me is that these factories never sell/lease their ex chassis for the privateers to run after they're gone anymore.

Yet, they do irrelevant public relation demonstrations like these... while someone like Joest, rather than wasting time in DPi, could be running old R18 or 919 in WEC and/or LM24 right now for free for them without VW actually having to do anything (other than most basic supply support like in GTE). Maybe run it hybridless if needed
Old 8 Apr 2018, 13:26 (Ref:3813980)   #8299
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
It's not them bailing out itself that bothers me, you know that's the natural evolution in any kind of racing... What bothers me is that these factories never sell/lease their ex chassis for the privateers to run after they're gone anymore.

Yet, they do irrelevant public relation demonstrations like these... while someone like Joest, rather than wasting time in DPi, could be running old R18 or 919 in WEC and/or LM24 right now for free for them without VW actually having to do anything (other than most basic supply support like in GTE). Maybe run it hybridless if needed
Good point, why not let a privateer like Joest take over the running of the 919?
Old 8 Apr 2018, 13:29 (Ref:3813981)   #8300
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It raises an issue regarding if private teams have the ability (financial and technical) to run the hybrid systems. When you require 20 minutes and a team of engineers to even get it started, it does pose an issue.

Unfortunately, the days of semi-supported teams like the ORECA/Pescarolo 908 and Kolles R10 ended with the introduction of the hybrids.