Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 6 Apr 2018, 20:41 (Ref:3813367)   #26
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
More on the background to the V6TT decision in AA here.
I'd originally guessed that it COULD be an indicator of Supercars moving away from multi-engines and sticking with NA V8s but all articles since show that was a poor guess. This one purely a GM decision by the sound of it.
Old 6 Apr 2018, 21:17 (Ref:3813381)   #27
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandgroper View Post
I have a V8 SS,
Im glad its not a turbo
Have you looked into the turbo version of the Cadillac ATS-V (not that it is relevant to the Australian market)? It still seems like a lot of fun even compared to the older V8 version of the Cadillac ATS-V. Sounds really good too for a V6 twin turbo.

However yanks still seem to prefer their V8 Ford F150s over their V6 ecoboost F150s, and it doesn't seem like Ford will be changing the Mustang GT to a V6 Ecoboost anytime soon (nor Chevy with the Camaro SS for that matter).
Old 7 Apr 2018, 00:31 (Ref:3813437)   #28
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandgroper View Post
I have a V8 SS,
Im glad its not a turbo
Nothing wrong with adding a turbo or two to your SS.

Having been for a ride in a twin turbo VE SS that put out somewhere in the region of 800hp, I have to say that to own something like that is certainly on the bucket list now. Good times.
Old 7 Apr 2018, 00:36 (Ref:3813439)   #29
Silver GT
Racer

Silver GT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Means only one thing.

You have to ask yourself why would you spend heaps on development if you dont have anyone to race against.

Supercars has a limited future
Old 7 Apr 2018, 04:09 (Ref:3813459)   #30
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver GT View Post
Supercars has a limited future
I think that is a bit harsh, it will eventually evolve and I think this latest news is them stepping back, taking a deep breath and looking at what may be feasible. Certainly the problem of engine parity is just about impossible if different configurations such as a turbo/atmo 6/4/8 cylinder mix was to be introduced and they would have to move away from that ideal and accept what it means. Class capacity racing seems to be dead now at a professional level so that is out the window also. The choices are very narrow when it is thought about, 2 litre turbo is the generic European approach and not much after that.
Old 7 Apr 2018, 07:49 (Ref:3813492)   #31
Backagain
Racer

Backagain has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Judging by the results in Tassie, why would they need to change the formula, the new all carbon fibre "Commodore" is wiping all before it. The rest of the brands can only hope for a top ten finish.
Old 7 Apr 2018, 07:54 (Ref:3813495)   #32
Jam3s
Racer

Jam3s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backagain View Post
Judging by the results in Tassie, why would they need to change the formula, the new all carbon fibre "Commodore" is wiping all before it. The rest of the brands can only hope for a top ten finish.
There ZB is the only car with carbon panels? Anyway to nitpick, its bonnet is aluminium.
Old 9 Apr 2018, 04:56 (Ref:3814280)   #33
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Nothing wrong with adding a turbo or two to your SS.

Having been for a ride in a twin turbo VE SS that put out somewhere in the region of 800hp, I have to say that to own something like that is certainly on the bucket list now. Good times.
Oh Yes I totally understand. I just havent the coin for it.
MY son has a 1200 HP Turbo'd 6 which would eat my SS

I think WAU will be the first to jump for the Camaro
Old 9 Apr 2018, 06:34 (Ref:3814286)   #34
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam3s View Post
There ZB is the only car with carbon panels? Anyway to nitpick, its bonnet is aluminium.
The ZB runs a composite bonnet
Old 9 Apr 2018, 09:17 (Ref:3814320)   #35
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
It does?

Hmm. Well that's a better argument for the Falcon to have a composite one also, then.
Old 9 Apr 2018, 10:17 (Ref:3814331)   #36
Jam3s
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
I've been told by someone in a team that it's aluminium. They could be full of it of course.
Old 9 Apr 2018, 10:27 (Ref:3814334)   #37
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
It does?

Hmm. Well that's a better argument for the Falcon to have a composite one also, then.
Which is why the Falcons & Nissans were permitted to go to composite bonnets from the Grand Prix onwards. In fact they were permitted to do so last year when ZB was being specified but the Falcon / Nissan teams declined it at the time.
Old 9 Apr 2018, 11:51 (Ref:3814362)   #38
Backagain
Racer

Backagain has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam3s View Post
I've been told by someone in a team that it's aluminium. They could be full of it of course.
I'd stop nitpicking if I were you, people might think you're full of it.
Old 9 Apr 2018, 13:51 (Ref:3814407)   #39
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
In fact they were permitted to do so last year when ZB was being specified but the Falcon / Nissan teams declined it at the time.
Sure they did...

They would rather rush them out in 2 weeks between the Adelaide 500 and Grand Prix, that makes perfect sense!

It seems more likely they were not told the Commodore would use these lightweight parts and have a such a large advantage of carrying more ballast.
Old 9 Apr 2018, 14:06 (Ref:3814410)   #40
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It was reported in the media that the ZB was being homoloated with composite panels last year.

We've been over this already!
Old 9 Apr 2018, 18:51 (Ref:3814486)   #41
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
Sure they did...

They would rather rush them out in 2 weeks between the Adelaide 500 and Grand Prix, that makes perfect sense!

It seems more likely they were not told the Commodore would use these lightweight parts and have a such a large advantage of carrying more ballast.
You clearly have no idea of how the process works with the Supercar Commission overseeing the process (Commission has team representatives from each brand racing) and the vehicle specification documents for each brand of car being provided to all teams.

Example of statement about other teams declining the opportunity last year here.

The "large advantage" as you call it doesn't seem to have changed much now that the other brands have similar panels / ballast benefits - maybe it was all a bit of a storm in a teacup?
Old 9 Apr 2018, 21:56 (Ref:3814540)   #42
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The teams on behalf of the manufacturers can apply for concessions based.on reasons. Some teams are better at it than others.
Old 10 Apr 2018, 08:01 (Ref:3814595)   #43
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Writing on the wall for the V8s aspect of Supercars? Talks of Electrification and Hybridisation in the future.

Supercars Commissioner: Move away from V8s inevitable
Old 10 Apr 2018, 08:59 (Ref:3814606)   #44
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Writing on the wall for the V8s aspect of Supercars? Talks of Electrification and Hybridisation in the future.

Supercars Commissioner: Move away from V8s inevitable
Formula 4 will still be around then, with conventional internal combustion engines
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 10 Apr 2018, 09:34 (Ref:3814611)   #45
Umai Naa
Veteran

I think we're still a ways off before EV race cars become the norm.

Sure, we have Formua E, and eTCR is in the works, but they haven't replaced anything, and probably won't for a whle yet.
Old 10 Apr 2018, 10:01 (Ref:3814615)   #46
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
I think we're still a ways off before EV race cars become the norm.

Sure, we have Formua E, and eTCR is in the works, but they haven't replaced anything, and probably won't for a whle yet.
and crowds are really small
Old 10 Apr 2018, 10:24 (Ref:3814622)   #47
Ospi
Veteran

Ospi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOspi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Without manufacturer support there won't be any kind of hybrid tech being introduced due to the development costs and we've already seen how tight Holden has been with financially supporting the V6 turbo which is quite basic, and cheap in comparison.
Old 10 Apr 2018, 10:34 (Ref:3814626)   #48
Umai Naa
Veteran

They were only ever going to see it through, if all Holden teams embraced it.

Otherwise it wouldn't be worth their time.
Old 11 Apr 2018, 01:38 (Ref:3814775)   #49
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess I was right, this is a stop gap decision so the category can take a breath and make some decisions. Super Cars has sort of run itself into a cul de sac not of its own making but a dead end none the less. The domestic manufacturing industry no longer exists, the manic insistence on parity and the world wide change to electric power including every European manufacturer joining Formula E which tells you exactly how they are thinking and where they are going. Maybe the only way forward is a bespoke engine, if they want engine parity there really is no other choice but the economics don't add up because of the economic size of the category, there simply is not enough money involved TBH.

On the other hand an all electric future might be cheaper if approached the right way. The entire drive train would get the sand shoe out the door, two electric motors at the wheels and a battery pack would be a more simple and a less maintenance intensive scenario, no gearboxes, diffs, engines etc to keep pouring money into as electric motors don't need all the crap that goes with a conventional driveline and shells would be much easier to construct as a standard battery pack would be used. The category management would supply all battery packs for the race meeting along with charging facilities etc. The big drawback to all electric is us, the fans like noise and electric cars don't make much of that.

I will bet money that an all electric car would be cheaper to race than a conventional IC car once all the infrastructure is in place. Whether it would be successful as a spectator category is doubtful at the moment but the time will come when racing is either a fall back reminiscent type of past time with old fashioned IC motors or motor sport gets with the program and goes full electric because all manufacturers are now moving forward with electric cars with the US as the stand out exception. It is not going to be a case of what you want to drive but what the manufacturers offer form the mid twenties onward, that much is clear.
Old 11 Apr 2018, 02:41 (Ref:3814782)   #50
Jam3s
Racer

Wouldn't be surprised if they look into a category wide generic hybrid engine solution. You can buy off the shelf hybrid systems from the likes of Zytek which can be easily mated to an existing engine. Still, I don't see the benefit really as it will cause backlash from the public and still won't entice manufacturers to join.