Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 Apr 2018, 12:48 (Ref:3815999)   #101
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Toto and team must learn that winning is not as easy as was, as for Mr Verstappen he must really start to learn the old adage 'to finish first, first you must finish'
Old 16 Apr 2018, 12:52 (Ref:3816000)   #102
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
A well timed push of the SC button there Charlie, well done.
Vettel not happy that safety car was released two laps after the incident, and after he and Bottas had passed the entry line.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13...-was-not-right

Old 16 Apr 2018, 13:12 (Ref:3816002)   #103
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Apparently Ted Kravitz gave Ricciardo a fortune cookie pre race, and the first three words of the fortune reading was "You will win....."

I've tried to find evidence of this but have not had any luck. True or false?

Old 16 Apr 2018, 13:27 (Ref:3816007)   #104
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
rigged?

i get that maybe the SC could have come out sooner (like maybe half a lap earlier) but suggestions that the race was rigged is a bit much imo.

but if it was rigged then that begs the question of who it was rigged for?

Flavio??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 16 Apr 2018, 13:44 (Ref:3816011)   #105
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Ia anyone else getting sick of the constant mythering and sour grapes from Vettel and Hamilton, compared to Ricciardo, Max, maybe even Alonso who seem to smile and brush off barbed questions?

Bottas and Kimi are Finn's so we'll excuse them, in fact the only Finn who I recall smiled a lot in recent times was Lehto! Even Hakkinen could appear uninterested sometimes!

Seb and Ham should be grateful for the opportunities they've had and surely understand that they can't have it all their own way all of the time?

The other guys with happier demeanours are the likes of Hulk, Sainz, Ocon, Gasly. Heck, almost all of the grid.
Old 16 Apr 2018, 14:20 (Ref:3816017)   #106
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
I thought in this instance Seb was quite measured and calm when it came to having his race ruined by Max. Philosophical even..
Old 16 Apr 2018, 14:53 (Ref:3816019)   #107
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
so Merc again talking about how the RBR tire switch wasnt on their radar and/or didnt conform to what they thought the pace of the soft tire was.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/m...china-1026969/

3rd race in a row where they have been massively let down by their race simulation/data analysis team. begs the question, what do these people even do in the data center?

i suspect slacking off/surfing the net like every other employee in front a computer all day.

for me first question about that would be if they didnt think the soft had much benefit then surely still even pitting for a fresh set of mediums made more sense then staying on the slightly used set LH was currently on....or does the communication delay/ analysis time prevent quick responses?

or at the least, if they were so confident in track position over fresh rubber, then send your pit crew out in an attempt to trick Ferrari into making an extra stop. a call which the pit wall should have made and could have bought them a little more time to hear back from base.

i also dont like the uniformity in strategies...hedge your bets with whichever car of yours is running second....thats just old school race strategy no?

of course all hindsight but i feel like they are missing the tricks that used to be common place before the data/race simulation revolution took their racing instincts away.

anyways, glad to see Merc get defeated again by virtue of an over reliance on money and technology.
Old 16 Apr 2018, 14:55 (Ref:3816020)   #108
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
Vettel not happy that safety car was released two laps after the incident, and after he and Bottas had passed the entry line.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13...-was-not-right
What's your opinion on it though? Are you saying that you agree with Vettel?

In the past you have made it clear that you feel the word 'disgrace' should be used whenever Vettel speaks, and that you have zero respect for anything he says - so I guess Vettel's in the wrong here?

for clarity - the incident occurred with drivers on L30, and the SC with drivers on L31.
Old 16 Apr 2018, 15:21 (Ref:3816025)   #109
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
That was a great race. The "disgraceful" "butt-ass" once again beat his teammate and likely would have won if not for some bad luck.

I kinda thought the verstappen Vettel incident was a racing one, and didn't really deserve a punishment. Vettel went in wide, max saw a gap and went for it. Ambitious, yes, but so was ricciardo on bottas. I think those two tend to happen in reverse if done on the other drivers. Bottas would have avoided contact with max, Vettel would have hit ricciardo. Just my opinion, of course.

Lot of good racing all around the grid. I thought even the second or third lap around under safety car that Vettel and bottas should have pit in response to the red bulls. Would have been behind them, but with slightly quicker cars. Maybe it would have put them too far deep in the field.

If this keeps up this season, it's going to be great entertainment.
Old 16 Apr 2018, 22:46 (Ref:3816067)   #110
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
That was a great race. The "disgraceful" "butt-ass" once again beat his teammate and likely would have won if not for some bad luck.

I kinda thought the verstappen Vettel incident was a racing one, and didn't really deserve a punishment. Vettel went in wide, max saw a gap and went for it. Ambitious, yes, but so was ricciardo on bottas. I think those two tend to happen in reverse if done on the other drivers. Bottas would have avoided contact with max, Vettel would have hit ricciardo. Just my opinion, of course.

Lot of good racing all around the grid. I thought even the second or third lap around under safety car that Vettel and bottas should have pit in response to the red bulls. Would have been behind them, but with slightly quicker cars. Maybe it would have put them too far deep in the field.

If this keeps up this season, it's going to be great entertainment.
At the time and on reflection, Verstappen should have got a drive-thru. 10 seconds was somewhat lenient.
Old 16 Apr 2018, 23:50 (Ref:3816075)   #111
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post

3rd race in a row where they have been massively let down by their race simulation/data analysis team. begs the question, what do these people even do in the data center?

i suspect slacking off/surfing the net like every other employee in front a computer all day.

for me first question about that would be if they didnt think the soft had much benefit then surely still even pitting for a fresh set of mediums made more sense then staying on the slightly used set LH was currently on....or does the communication delay/ analysis time prevent quick responses?

or at the least, if they were so confident in track position over fresh rubber, then send your pit crew out in an attempt to trick Ferrari into making an extra stop. a call which the pit wall should have made and could have bought them a little more time to hear back from base.

i also dont like the uniformity in strategies...hedge your bets with whichever car of yours is running second....thats just old school race strategy no?

of course all hindsight but i feel like they are missing the tricks that used to be common place before the data/race simulation revolution took their racing instincts away.

anyways, glad to see Merc get defeated again by virtue of an over reliance on money and technology.
Ross Brawn and Ron Dennis would run the strategies in their heads.
Old 17 Apr 2018, 01:32 (Ref:3816084)   #112
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
At the time and on reflection, Verstappen should have got a drive-thru. 10 seconds was somewhat lenient.
Would've thought that Fred's move should have at least been looked at by the stewards too, just barged his way through pushing Vettel off the track.
Old 17 Apr 2018, 01:40 (Ref:3816086)   #113
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Would've thought that Fred's move should have at least been looked at by the stewards too, just barged his way through pushing Vettel off the track.
Agreed.
Old 17 Apr 2018, 03:21 (Ref:3816095)   #114
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I would agree if Vettel wasn't so wide on turn in. But there was room for verstappen there, as much as there was for ricciardo on bottas.
Old 17 Apr 2018, 06:06 (Ref:3816106)   #115
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
From what I remember, it might have started off similar, but Ricciardo managed to get alongside, if not ahead, by the corner and made the apex. Verstappen did not.
Old 17 Apr 2018, 06:37 (Ref:3816110)   #116
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Max just dive bombed, instead of having a go at the inside. That's why he got the penalty
Old 17 Apr 2018, 09:10 (Ref:3816129)   #117
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The best overtake of the race was Bottas on Raikkonen, yet he's not getting the headlines he deserves for it.

The move was absolutely sublime.
He positioned his car perfectly, lost no traction or momentum and gave Kimi all the room they both required.

It was so perfect it was all too easy to overlook.Sure the Red Bull drivers pulled off some exciting stuff, not Max so much, but none had the understated class of the Bottas move.
Old 17 Apr 2018, 09:13 (Ref:3816130)   #118
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
From what I remember, it might have started off similar, but Ricciardo managed to get alongside, if not ahead, by the corner and made the apex. Verstappen did not.
Yes, that was the difference.

Richard
Old 17 Apr 2018, 09:18 (Ref:3816131)   #119
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleman View Post
The best overtake of the race was Bottas on Raikkonen, yet he's not getting the headlines he deserves for it.

The move was absolutely sublime.
He positioned his car perfectly, lost no traction or momentum and gave Kimi all the room they both required.

It was so perfect it was all too easy to overlook.Sure the Red Bull drivers pulled off some exciting stuff, not Max so much, but none had the understated class of the Bottas move.
Agreed.
Old 17 Apr 2018, 10:34 (Ref:3816137)   #120
Kempi
Veteran

Germany
Düsseldorf, Germany
Kempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Agreed as well. And it was not one of the divebombs that both Red Bull drivers practice. The main difference is that Ricciardo manages to hit the apex where Verstappen usually does not and pushes the outside line driver away.

The thing that amazes me: how can Ricciardo's Red Bull brake so late compared to other cars and still hit the apex? Question of a lift and cost situation where the leading driver feels "too safe"? The way Ricciardo usually does this is by braking a good 5-10m later than the others and basically coming out of nowhere.
Old 17 Apr 2018, 11:24 (Ref:3816148)   #121
RWill2073
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kempi View Post
Agreed as well. And it was not one of the divebombs that both Red Bull drivers practice. The main difference is that Ricciardo manages to hit the apex where Verstappen usually does not and pushes the outside line driver away.

The thing that amazes me: how can Ricciardo's Red Bull brake so late compared to other cars and still hit the apex? Question of a lift and cost situation where the leading driver feels "too safe"? The way Ricciardo usually does this is by braking a good 5-10m later than the others and basically coming out of nowhere.
Learned from former red bull driver Sebastian Bourdais.
Old 17 Apr 2018, 11:33 (Ref:3816151)   #122
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
1. The tyres he had allowed him to brake maybe 3-5m later.

2. Brake to the apex, straightening the corner. There’s another 3-5m for you. It makes him slower on the exit but the overtaken car has had his line disturbed so much he is also delayed.
Old 17 Apr 2018, 12:03 (Ref:3816156)   #123
Kempi
Veteran

Germany
Düsseldorf, Germany
Kempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I am aware of the techniques. But it is not like the other drivers do not know how to brake deep into the corner. And Ricciardo also does this on tires of similar age. So I do not think the explanation is quite so simple.
Old 17 Apr 2018, 12:27 (Ref:3816161)   #124
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I am aware of the techniques. But it is not like the other drivers do not know how to brake deep into the corner. And Ricciardo also does this on tires of similar age. So I do not think the explanation is quite so simple.
There is quite a big difference between the line that you require for the fastest possible route through a corner and a defensive line, which is what I think peebee2 is nailing in his second point, and this is how Ricciardo gets through, he is fast into the corner and effectively blocks the overtaken car from taking its faster line on the exit.

Last edited by wnut; 17 Apr 2018 at 12:32.
Old 17 Apr 2018, 12:47 (Ref:3816167)   #125
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
You can’t do that so easily if you’re already ahead approaching the corner as the following car will pass you before the next one...

You can usually only do it if you are behind to start with and thus then blocking the other car off at the apex as you pass him, delaying him