Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 13 May 2024, 09:36 (Ref:4208772)   #3201
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
What about their raised ride height and the ballast box location?
IIRC, the centre of gravity adjustment had no relation to the ballast box location.
The changes were either a ride height adjustment, or an addition of weight to the bulkhead (independent of ballast box).

For further reference, BMW opted for a ride height (only) change so their ballast box would not have been affected anyway.
Old 13 May 2024, 09:47 (Ref:4208773)   #3202
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Oh yes quite possibly! However I presume the placement was the same (ie in a less than ideal location for weight distribution)

The regulations concerning the whole of the hybrid system, which I assume includes the battery, are all encompassing. This is it (5.2.25):

"This must be installed and operated in accordance with the Hybrid Installation Manual, the Hybrid Homologation Form and the Hybrid Operations Manual and any subsequent amendments, clarifications or directives issued by the BTCC Chief Scrutineer."

So, unless we have sight of the Installation Manual or any special directives from the scrutineer, who knows apart from WSR of course. But I seem to recall in the fairly recent video with Dick Bennets in their workshop that they did everything that they could do to create the right balance.

And I am guessing that what they did over the closed season to balance the car has been to the advantage of Colin Turkington whilst disadvantaging Hill. Turkington did say to Louise Goodman over the weekend that this year the front end has been far more to his liking, much like, I think he said, the car in 2019.
Old 13 May 2024, 11:33 (Ref:4208777)   #3203
Jon411
Racer

Guernsey
Jon411 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could be wrong but I am sure I vaguely remember something being said about the hybrid and how it needed to be installed level, so couldn't sit as far forward in the car as the ballast box did on the BMW. Don't quote me on that
Old 13 May 2024, 12:00 (Ref:4208782)   #3204
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not a rumour or news but I really hope when either Sutton or Turkington are inevitably crowned champion, they’re presented the trophy by Andy Rouse.
Old 13 May 2024, 12:44 (Ref:4208790)   #3205
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon411 View Post
Could be wrong but I am sure I vaguely remember something being said about the hybrid and how it needed to be installed level, so couldn't sit as far forward in the car as the ballast box did on the BMW. Don't quote me on that
I'm not certain.

Peter Riches is quoted as saying: 'Likewise, the decision was taken to mount the battery in the space currently used for the ballast box. This avoids having to create new packaging space, and it was enabled by the decision to abandon the current system of success ballast from 2022.'

The images below show the installation location in the FK8 and Corolla - and then the BMW for comparison:

Old 13 May 2024, 14:26 (Ref:4208810)   #3206
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
The regulations concerning the whole of the hybrid system, which I assume includes the battery, are all encompassing. This is it (5.2.25):

"This must be installed and operated in accordance with the Hybrid Installation Manual, the Hybrid Homologation Form and the Hybrid Operations Manual and any subsequent amendments, clarifications or directives issued by the BTCC Chief Scrutineer."

So, unless we have sight of the Installation Manual or any special directives from the scrutineer, who knows apart from WSR of course. But I seem to recall in the fairly recent video with Dick Bennets in their workshop that they did everything that they could do to create the right balance.

And I am guessing that what they did over the closed season to balance the car has been to the advantage of Colin Turkington whilst disadvantaging Hill. Turkington did say to Louise Goodman over the weekend that this year the front end has been far more to his liking, much like, I think he said, the car in 2019.
I always watch the races on playback so I dont really listen to all the surrounding waffle that accompanies the races but occasionally there is a few golden nuggets of information leaked out (usually by Tim Harvey in comms in my experience), I think he said on Sunday that WSR had done work to lower the overall COG, work on the engine and work on the aero for the BMW. I mean the engine one I find confusing, why do work on the engine if all engines are bopped anyway?
Old 13 May 2024, 14:36 (Ref:4208814)   #3207
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
I mean the engine one I find confusing, why do work on the engine if all engines are bopped anyway?
To make it more driveable, smooth out the delivery of power, make it better able to cope with heat, improve torque curve, improve reliability, adjust wear rates..........
Old 13 May 2024, 14:42 (Ref:4208816)   #3208
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I always watch the races on playback so I dont really listen to all the surrounding waffle that accompanies the races but occasionally there is a few golden nuggets of information leaked out (usually by Tim Harvey in comms in my experience), I think he said on Sunday that WSR had done work to lower the overall COG, work on the engine and work on the aero for the BMW. I mean the engine one I find confusing, why do work on the engine if all engines are bopped anyway?

I believe that it is an updated version of the engine used previously, and they don't necessarily increase power but improve what is called drive-ability, i.e. give better torque over a certain rev range or better pick-up. They also may have improved the cooling as they said that when in close formation last year that it was a bit of a problem.

And Turkington himself talked about the improvements they made over the winter, which resulted in him being much more in his comfort zone. And as I said before, that work doesn't seem to have helped Hill, and I think that may be why he is struggling a bit; he probably overcome that during the season, though if he is as good as he thinks he is.
Old 13 May 2024, 15:15 (Ref:4208820)   #3209
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I believe that it is an updated version of the engine used previously, and they don't necessarily increase power but improve what is called drive-ability, i.e. give better torque over a certain rev range or better pick-up. They also may have improved the cooling as they said that when in close formation last year that it was a bit of a problem.

And Turkington himself talked about the improvements they made over the winter, which resulted in him being much more in his comfort zone. And as I said before, that work doesn't seem to have helped Hill, and I think that may be why he is struggling a bit; he probably overcome that during the season, though if he is as good as he thinks he is.
I recall them saying that the aero package was a problem in that it was tough when following other cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
To make it more driveable, smooth out the delivery of power, make it better able to cope with heat, improve torque curve, improve reliability, adjust wear rates..........
All sounds good and makes sense, maybe fuel consumption too?
Old 13 May 2024, 20:00 (Ref:4208862)   #3210
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Isn’t it now the UK built Hams Hall motor as used in the Corolla?
Old 13 May 2024, 20:31 (Ref:4208866)   #3211
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Isn’t it now the UK built Hams Hall motor as used in the Corolla?

I'm more than happy to be corrected on this, but I thought that the engine had to based on one of a type that is in current use in any of the range of cars by that manufacturer, i.e. a BMW engine in a BMW, a Toyota engine in a Toyota, etc. The exception would be the TOCA engines for those that do not wish to, or possibly afford to, use their manufacturers products.
Old 13 May 2024, 20:58 (Ref:4208868)   #3212
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I'm more than happy to be corrected on this, but I thought that the engine had to based on one of a type that is in current use in any of the range of cars by that manufacturer, i.e. a BMW engine in a BMW, a Toyota engine in a Toyota, etc.
Engine comes from a Toyota Supra, which has the same engine as a BMW Z4
Old 13 May 2024, 22:23 (Ref:4208878)   #3213
JDMROB
Racer

JDMROB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It’s still the B48 BMW engine. Just using ones assembled in the UK now then taken to Neil Brown to work his magic. The engines they were using were from 2019 and built in Austria. No idea what internals they use.

The B48 is in both the WSR BMW and the Speedworks Corolla. It’s also in the JCW Minis!

It’s a BMW engine, Toyota just use it in their Supra.
Old 14 May 2024, 07:35 (Ref:4208898)   #3214
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Thanks for correcting me; everyday is a learning day even though I'm in my dotage.
Old 14 May 2024, 07:49 (Ref:4208899)   #3215
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
I'm more than happy to be corrected on this, but I thought that the engine had to based on one of a type that is in current use in any of the range of cars by that manufacturer, i.e. a BMW engine in a BMW, a Toyota engine in a Toyota, etc. The exception would be the TOCA engines for those that do not wish to, or possibly afford to, use their manufacturers products.
Plenty of OEM models use engines originating from other OEMs though, and have done for decades, though.
Old 14 May 2024, 08:05 (Ref:4208900)   #3216
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Plenty of OEM models use engines originating from other OEMs though, and have done for decades, though.

Thank you for trying to teach a grandfather (and yes before you start nit-picking and telling me how much you know, I already know that it's supposed to be grandmother) how to suck eggs, because I am well aware that manufacturers use others' engines. In fact, about 25 years ago I had a Volvo that had a Renault straight 6 engine - or was it a V6, I can't remember now and it's not important for this discussion - so I was well aware of the practice.

What I was unaware of was that Toyota used a BMW engine in one of their cars.
Old 14 May 2024, 10:13 (Ref:4208907)   #3217
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

its much more than use just the engine
its the whole driveline and chassis

in fact the bmw z4 and toyota supra roll off the same production line in austria

the main difference is some of the interior trim and the exterior bodywork

just think of the supra as the z4 coupe or the z4 as the supra convertible
Old 14 May 2024, 15:06 (Ref:4208926)   #3218
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Bobby Thompson announcing an announcement just now in Twitter.

Big news on Thursday.
Old 14 May 2024, 15:15 (Ref:4208928)   #3219
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Marriott View Post
Bobby Thompson announcing an announcement just now in Twitter.

Big news on Thursday.
What I would give for it to be WSR…

Last edited by Evantra; 14 May 2024 at 15:21.
Old 14 May 2024, 15:27 (Ref:4208933)   #3220
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Fingers crossed.
Old 14 May 2024, 15:31 (Ref:4208934)   #3221
MarcusH26
Racer

MarcusH26 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like from the pic like it's not the works Team BMW colours if it is WSR....
Old 14 May 2024, 17:48 (Ref:4208947)   #3222
coffinpilot
Racer

coffinpilot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting to note that the cars didn't do the thing that came in at Donington. The stop at the back of the grid, line up, then go to their grid slot on the electric motor.

Never going to work. They need to ditch being stubborn and admit it's just an excitable overtaking device that has zero (not net-zero) green credentials!
Old 14 May 2024, 19:38 (Ref:4208959)   #3223
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Thank you for trying to teach a grandfather (and yes before you start nit-picking and telling me how much you know, I already know that it's supposed to be grandmother) how to suck eggs, because I am well aware that manufacturers use others' engines. In fact, about 25 years ago I had a Volvo that had a Renault straight 6 engine - or was it a V6, I can't remember now and it's not important for this discussion - so I was well aware of the practice.

OK grandfather, understood. To be fair, I was surprised you didn't know.
Old 14 May 2024, 19:50 (Ref:4208961)   #3224
MagicBoy
Racer

United Kingdom
MagicBoy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Toyota would likely struggle to use an actual 4-cylinder Corolla engine in the Corolla, given they are low-revving hybrids and run on the Atkinson cycle.

The BMW out of the Supra makes more sense given it's the right capacity and turbocharged.
Old 14 May 2024, 20:53 (Ref:4208962)   #3225
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicBoy View Post
Toyota would likely struggle to use an actual 4-cylinder Corolla engine in the Corolla, given they are low-revving hybrids and run on the Atkinson cycle.

The BMW out of the Supra makes more sense given it's the right capacity and turbocharged.

But it doesn't need to be from the Corolla, though; it could be from any of their range.

But this brings up another query that I don't know the answer to, and that is can teams use a manufacturer's engine that has as standard a larger capacity, but then reduce the capacity to meet the 2 litre measurement?

Oh, and while scrolling through the technical regulations looking for an answer to the above question - it's not there that I could see, I think that it is a another set of regulations available only to teams - I did notice that rear wheel drive cars are subject to specific start rules, although, again, they are not for public viewing so we don't what they are.