Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 20 Mar 2003, 09:13 (Ref:541923)   #1
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Julian Bailey

I've just been browsing the F1 forum and they're giving poor old Julian a real slagging off and we've been told we're not allowed to use examples outside his F1 record! I'm not his biggest fan, but I believe his put in some preety good sportscar performances over the years, such as with Lister. Anyone got any specific memories of him (and I don't mean smashing his Nissan up at Le Mans in '89 )
Old 20 Mar 2003, 09:49 (Ref:541953)   #2
MGF
Racer

MGF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He did pretty well in the MG over the last couple of years....
Old 20 Mar 2003, 10:11 (Ref:541966)   #3
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
krt917

take a tip from mgfs favourite "quote".
Old 20 Mar 2003, 10:26 (Ref:541974)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by kdr
take a tip from mgfs favourite "quote".
Definitely!
Old 20 Mar 2003, 13:19 (Ref:542075)   #5
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Oh dear. My thoughts are coloured by his horrendous mistake at LM in '89. Frankly, I've never seen anything much to rave about. He certainly wouldn't feature very highly in my list of sportscar greats......

Sorry.
Old 20 Mar 2003, 14:05 (Ref:542124)   #6
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
maybe ayse...but i think the f1 boys were having a go at him, probably only because they'd run out of insults for schumacher.
Old 20 Mar 2003, 16:52 (Ref:542227)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
How can you possibly run out?

They have to be fairly desperate to go trawling back after Bailey - there have been an awful lot of F1 no-hopers since he was peddling a GP car.
Old 20 Mar 2003, 17:06 (Ref:542244)   #8
MGF
Racer

MGF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No hopers or mindless, corporate drones??....
Old 20 Mar 2003, 19:09 (Ref:542356)   #9
kdr
Veteran

i don't believe they'll ever run out...maybe slagging off bailey is to give them some fresh material!

ayse...you know i see a LOT of schumacher in my job, and believe me compared to the rest of them - he's crusty the clown!
Old 21 Mar 2003, 08:05 (Ref:542831)   #10
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by kdr

ayse...you know i see a LOT of schumacher in my job, and believe me compared to the rest of them - he's crusty the clown!

LOL
Old 21 Mar 2003, 08:34 (Ref:542853)   #11
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What i hate the most about schumacher is that he insists on doing ads on TV for Shell. He just ain't an actor, it's embarassing. Anyway, just heard that Montoya went out, did set the quickest lap (he'd end up 3rd by the end) then the very next driver was Schumacher, who went a second faster for pole!
Old 21 Mar 2003, 09:47 (Ref:542901)   #12
kdr
Veteran

i think you'll find shell insist on him doing tv ads for them.

this is going off on a tangent. tell me...does anyone remember seeing schumacher driving sportscars?
Old 21 Mar 2003, 09:50 (Ref:542903)   #13
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yep, brilliant at Silverstone in a highly trick Merc with shallow angle V12. I mean brilliant IMHO.

On Bailey, we competed against him hard for three seasons and he was a mean competitor with Listers. Big respect. F1's loss ...

Last edited by gfm; 21 Mar 2003 at 09:59.
Old 21 Mar 2003, 09:54 (Ref:542908)   #14
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, I do. He was bloody quick in them too! Sauber-Mercedes had a pretty good line-up in 1990-91 with the 'veteran' car and the junior car (with Mass helping out the latter). At Le Mans in 1990, after a mistake by one of the other drivers, Schuey took over and lapped - for a time - around 5 sec. faster than anyone else and ended with fastest lap. In 1991 the Mercs were outclassed by the Jag and the Peugeot, but Michael - sharing with Wendlinger - managed to win the final round at Autopolis.

Whether you like Schuey or not you have to admire his talent.

Oh, and thanks for the tip kdr and Adam! Think I'll leave that one well alone.
Old 21 Mar 2003, 09:56 (Ref:542912)   #15
krt917
Veteran

Oops - correction - Le Mans 1991, not 1990. Mercs weren't there that year.
Old 21 Mar 2003, 12:54 (Ref:543094)   #16
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
There's no doubt at all that TGF really shone in the Merc at LM in 91. All three of them (Wendlinger and Kreutzpointner as well), drove very quickly, until Wendlinger spun the car coming out of the Dunlop Chicane and removed a wing endplate in the process. (Good footage of this on the 91 Radio Le Mans video, by the way).

I remember Ian Titchmarsh saying something along these lines.....

"The car is fast when the others are driving, but Michael is just sensational. It surely can't be long before he moves up to Grand Prix racing......"

Prophetic words indeed from one of my two favourite commentators.
Old 21 Mar 2003, 15:37 (Ref:543270)   #17
kdr
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi

Prophetic words indeed from one of my two favourite commentators. [/B]

i'm guessing the other one isn't james allen
Old 21 Mar 2003, 16:06 (Ref:543291)   #18
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quite right. Although dear James has of course sweated his way up and down the Le Mans pitlane in the past (before he moved on to lesser things......).

I was referring to my friend Mr. Truswell.
Old 21 Mar 2003, 20:19 (Ref:543500)   #19
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
I remember Ian Titchmarsh saying something along these lines.....

"The car is fast when the others are driving, but Michael is just sensational. It surely can't be long before he moves up to Grand Prix racing......"

Prophetic words indeed from one of my two favourite commentators.
I got the 1991 review video last year and when I heard Titch say that it brought a smile to my face
Old 22 Mar 2003, 09:42 (Ref:543959)   #20
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Great fillums, those Radio Le Mans tapes. Best racing tapes I've ever bought.
Old 22 Mar 2003, 16:19 (Ref:544217)   #21
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Julian Bailey also won the 2000 FIA GT Championship, alongside Jamie Campbell Walter.
Old 23 Mar 2003, 10:35 (Ref:545130)   #22
krt917
Veteran

Thanks Saleen!

I didn't think he was too bad! I reckon Jamie is a bit quicker than him, but not by much and - in any case - Julian is a bit older!