Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Closed Thread

Old 25 Mar 2014, 15:20 (Ref:3384206)   #2676
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
The only time the BTCC ever had a race abroad was that non-championship race in Dubai in 1981
Old 25 Mar 2014, 15:21 (Ref:3384207)   #2677
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
Even the Scottish posters here would have to acknowledge that Spa is a better circuit than Knockhill... but in terms of the BTCC, personally I'd like to have both on the calendar. If we had to sacrifice something, then I'd opt for the Brands Indy round.
Which track would I rather BTCC raced on, Knockhill or Spa? For me the answer is obvious, and doesn't involve Belgians.
Old 25 Mar 2014, 15:51 (Ref:3384220)   #2678
snowen250
Veteran

snowen250 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
The only time the BTCC ever had a race abroad was that non-championship race in Dubai in 1981
What about the recent races at Mondello park? Fairly certain Ireland is a foreign country too
Old 25 Mar 2014, 16:00 (Ref:3384227)   #2679
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Remove Knockhill and rename the series to ETCC?
If you can't stand the heat stay out of the kitchen...
Old 25 Mar 2014, 16:19 (Ref:3384232)   #2680
maranello48
Rookie

maranello48 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowen250 View Post
What about the recent races at Mondello park? Fairly certain Ireland is a foreign country too
I believe the MSA have a deal with the Irish governing body so that any round of a british championship held in Ireland counts as being in Great Britain......
Old 25 Mar 2014, 16:20 (Ref:3384233)   #2681
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
Which track would I rather BTCC raced on, Knockhill or Spa? For me the answer is obvious, and doesn't involve Belgians.
So that'll be Spa then as the only people that go there are British and Germans
Old 25 Mar 2014, 16:24 (Ref:3384238)   #2682
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by maranello48 View Post
I believe the MSA have a deal with the Irish governing body so that any round of a british championship held in Ireland counts as being in Great Britain......
There was also a deal that Mondello Park had to contribute quite significantly to the costs of bringing the circus over. That's the reason it was dropped from the calendar... which is a pity really as it was a great event. I wonder do the other circuits around the country also pay towards travel costs ?
Old 25 Mar 2014, 18:43 (Ref:3384283)   #2683
CM388
Racer

CM388 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
But it's not just the main series, it's the support series that I made my initial observations about. Perhaps suggesting Spa for a test was a bit much, but the point remains year on year the support races have smaller grids at Knockhill than other venues.
True, but then the past couple of years at Knockhill there have been local championships supporting and they provide some of the best action - not sure if it's been mooted for this year though.

Personally I think the BTCC is much better suited to Knockhill than a track like Spa, it always provides much better (and closer) racing.
Old 25 Mar 2014, 18:47 (Ref:3384286)   #2684
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by maranello48 View Post
Under FIA rules, national championships (i.e. non FIA) are allowed one meeting outside of their championship of origin. As such the Mondello round fulfilled this criteria. On a related note, a number of club level championships have rounds at Spa (and a few are going to Zolder) this year under this provision.
Old 25 Mar 2014, 19:00 (Ref:3384292)   #2685
TimRTC
Racer

TimRTC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM388 View Post
Personally I think the BTCC is much better suited to Knockhill than a track like Spa, it always provides much better (and closer) racing.
Yes, Spa is probably a bad example, it is too long for a good touring car race for spectators. Although the WTCC are unexpectedly going back there this year so we shall see how that race does.

Zandvoort would probably be a better choice but the question is whether fans would travel. The BSB have had good success at Assen, but that circuit is famous for bike racing and most of the BTCC attendees are families who are unlikely to make a cross-channel trip.
Old 25 Mar 2014, 19:26 (Ref:3384303)   #2686
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Well, DTM drew healthy crowds at Zandvoort, but they are gone now. And BTCC still (once again?) has an excellent reputation on the continent, so I think it could work out, but the question is how interesting a 90% Dutch and German crowd would be to the sponsors.
Old 25 Mar 2014, 20:21 (Ref:3384335)   #2687
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
could this fantasies be put aside and come back on the real world already
Old 25 Mar 2014, 20:41 (Ref:3384343)   #2688
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
could this fantasies be put aside and come back on the real world already
Exactly. Maybe in the days of the Super Touring big budget works teams going to Spa (or wherever) may have been viable - but now that teams are all pretty much funded by the drivers and their multitude of smaller sponsors (take Goffs car as a prime example) there's no appeal in racing abroad for the sponsors - most of whom are purely uk based.
Old 25 Mar 2014, 20:46 (Ref:3384347)   #2689
snowdog140
Rookie

England
Coventry, England
snowdog140 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any reasons why they can't hold a race at Castle Combe? Haven't been there for a good five years or so but F3 and club racing has always been fast and some good action. Failing that maybe Anglesey or Pembrey? (Disclaimer: purely thinking aloud here, no idea if these tracks have the right licenses to hold BTCC events)
Old 25 Mar 2014, 20:56 (Ref:3384349)   #2690
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog140 View Post
Any reasons why they can't hold a race at Castle Combe? Haven't been there for a good five years or so but F3 and club racing has always been fast and some good action. Failing that maybe Anglesey or Pembrey? (Disclaimer: purely thinking aloud here, no idea if these tracks have the right licenses to hold BTCC events)
Castle Combe has for a while now had real issues with the noise police. I am not even sure of any major series racing there any more.
Old 25 Mar 2014, 21:09 (Ref:3384352)   #2691
BtccLee
Veteran

BtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Interesting point from earlier thread, basically Gow confirming that NGTC as a basic rule set is here to stay, adaptions (he said extra horsepower???) possible.
Old 25 Mar 2014, 21:19 (Ref:3384354)   #2692
simon_blay
Racer

simon_blay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know what it is but there is something very special about Castle Combe. Would love for the circuit to be BTCC'able but don't believe it's possible.

Highest profile day I marshaled there last year was probably the Motors TV day
Old 25 Mar 2014, 21:32 (Ref:3384358)   #2693
TimRTC
Racer

TimRTC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To be honest I can't see them changing from their current tracks at the moment. Brands, Silverstone, Donington, Oulton, Croft and Knockhill all draw massive crowds. Thruxton and Rockingham are different to the normal tracks which keep them on the books. What is turn-out like at Snetterton? It feels very remote but does have facilities to handle the large crowds which many possible alternative circuits might lack.

I think Cadwell Park replacing Snetterton would be an interesting change, the circuit can handle huge BSB crowds so no issues there and the track would have no shortage of drama!
Old 25 Mar 2014, 21:33 (Ref:3384359)   #2694
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I would love to see BTCC at Anglesey, it is the best circuit in the country (and the second widest) and the views are awesome. It would make great TV but the trouble is that the access is poor and it just could not cope with a BTCC crowd, mores the pity. Richard Peacock has already acknowledged that he couldn't have BTCC there unfortunately. Maybe something like British GT would be a better fit?
Old 25 Mar 2014, 21:36 (Ref:3384361)   #2695
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimRTC View Post

I think Cadwell Park replacing Snetterton would be an interesting change, the circuit can handle huge BSB crowds so no issues there and the track would have no shortage of drama!
Caldwell is too narrow and whilst it copes with a BSB crowd they come on bikes so are easier to handle. Traffic for a BTCC round would be a nightmare.
Old 25 Mar 2014, 21:44 (Ref:3384363)   #2696
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimRTC View Post
Zandvoort would probably be a better choice but the question is whether fans would travel. The BSB have had good success at Assen, but that circuit is famous for bike racing and most of the BTCC attendees are families who are unlikely to make a cross-channel trip.
History suggests that BTCC teams travelling to the Netherlands isn't a great idea....

Assen hosted ChampCar a few years back and it was a fairly decent race, so it's not just all for bikes.

Quote:
CC's track is good but don't think there's the paddock space to host the BTCC circus. The new Welsh circuit is more likely to host BTCC than Pembrey/Anglesey/CC in the next few years (if it gets built...)
Old 25 Mar 2014, 21:57 (Ref:3384367)   #2697
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Caldwell is too narrow and whilst it copes with a BSB crowd they come on bikes so are easier to handle. Traffic for a BTCC round would be a nightmare.
Plus I don't think the BTCC paddock (& supports) would be too fond of the Cadwell paddock and pit arrangement. Works for BSB I assume mainly for two reasons - less space taken up by race bikes, and the fact it's a popular track on the calendar means they'd be daft to remove it.

I do recall talk of Cadwell redesigning the pit lane to the outside of the circuit.

On subject of paddock, I am sure this is one of the reasons cited by British GT/F3 for departing Knockhill, too many ups and downs in the paddock!
Old 25 Mar 2014, 22:03 (Ref:3384372)   #2698
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Failing that maybe Anglesey or Pembrey? (Disclaimer: purely thinking aloud here, no idea if these tracks have the right licenses to hold BTCC events)
I doubt that Pembrey has the right facilities to appeal to Alan Gow/TOCA. I think things have moved on a bit since the last time the championship visited the circuit. The lack of facilities and run off counts against Castle Combe - in additional to the aforementioned noise problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Maybe something like British GT would be a better fit?
Off topic a bit, but I do think that British GT around the Coastal circuit would be fantastic.
Old 26 Mar 2014, 00:16 (Ref:3384411)   #2699
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
But it's not just the main series, it's the support series that I made my initial observations about. Perhaps suggesting Spa for a test was a bit much, but the point remains year on year the support races have smaller grids at Knockhill than other venues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM388 View Post
True, but then the past couple of years at Knockhill there have been local championships supporting and they provide some of the best action - not sure if it's been mooted for this year though.

The reason there has bern Scottish supports the last few years has been down to Renault dropping Knockhill.
Initially I understand they claimed their Formula Renault cars didn't like the surface, but a fortune was spent resurfacing, so next they either scheduled their UK World series on or near the Knockhill BTCC weekend, then they simply didn't bother giving an excuse that I've read anywhere, leaving a big whole to fill. Hence the appearence of SMRC categories taking their turns filling the gap.
This season with the Clio's returning there is no SMRC involvement in the provisional timetable
Old 26 Mar 2014, 07:39 (Ref:3384486)   #2700
bigted
Veteran

bigted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pembrey has more Spectator facilities than Croft, The only thing Croft has over Pembrey is garages in the Pitlane.