Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 15 Jan 2016, 19:53 (Ref:3605173)   #2701
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
I've said it many times already, that while LMP1 for full season is dead idea, it would be perfectly feasible for Sebring and/or PLM only. That way the scrooge mcduck spec&bop OEM bodywork participants can still have Daytona and championship battle on their own, while get what we all have been wanting back for most, and the P1 teams get to have something else than just the standardized 6 hourers... more places to run in their limited sphere. These two events carry much value winning on their own too.

And do I think anyone except Audi, Rebellion and maybe Porsche would (initially) turn up? No, but I don't care, even Sebring 2013 was more interesting than anything we've seen in 2014-201X.
If you want to run P1 at, let's say perhaps only Sebring, you would have to have some guarantee that all of the factory teams showed up (perhaps make it a WEC P1 + IMSA (DPi, PC, GTLM, GTD) race (paying out points). Otherwise I could realistically see 1 factory P1 team (Audi) showing up and moping the field (because it is really just an exhibition race at that point) which does not do any good for the 30ish teams committed to IMSA. Something tells me the ACO probably hates this idea at a track that is not worthy of F1. I also do not think that it is fair to pull any overall chance at victory away from the teams and sponsors committed to IMSA for both Daytona and Sebring (thus, I only think you would do it at Sebring).

On a side note, what types of speeds do you guys think the current P1's would pull around the banks at Daytona and would it even be safe?
Old 15 Jan 2016, 20:10 (Ref:3605176)   #2702
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson Mazda View Post
On a side note, what types of speeds do you guys think the current P1's would pull around the banks at Daytona and would it even be safe?
And also let's not forget what happened the last time supposedly long-lasting Michelin tires had an encounter with a newly-resurfaced banking...

Indy 2005...
Old 15 Jan 2016, 20:34 (Ref:3605186)   #2703
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

Well back in 1993 the AAR Toyota qualified about 6 seconds faster than what they're doing now, whether it was safe back then, I wouldn't bet on it. I would think the current LMP1 cars would hit a top speed about the same as Le Mans, 206mph last year, compared to the DPs that top out in the low to mid 190s. The current LMP1s, even in low downforce trim, are less sleek and built more for downforce than the Le Mans cars pre chicanes. Daytona has certainly seen higher speeds though, like during NASCAR races in the 1980's, and when they did the speed test with the Ford Ecoboost DP a few years ago and nearly hit 223mph. I'm sure it would be a lot safer than what Indycar is now, running ovals flat out at 230+mph.
Old 15 Jan 2016, 20:47 (Ref:3605189)   #2704
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
If you want to run P1 at, let's say perhaps only Sebring, you would have to have some guarantee that all of the factory teams showed up (perhaps make it a WEC P1 + IMSA (DPi, PC, GTLM, GTD) race (paying out points). Otherwise I could realistically see 1 factory P1 team (Audi) showing up and moping the field (because it is really just an exhibition race at that point) which does not do any good for the 30ish teams committed to IMSA. Something tells me the ACO probably hates this idea at a track that is not worthy of F1. I also do not think that it is fair to pull any overall chance at victory away from the teams and sponsors committed to IMSA for both Daytona and Sebring (thus, I only think you would do it at Sebring).
And that is why it would have nothing to do with WEC, only "invitation for LMP1 to join us" letter from IMSA.

In a way, "Audi moping the field alone" probably would be better for the domestic cars, as that would give them more exposure than say Audi vs Toyota vs Porsche nailbiter where each was battling neck to neck.

We know for sure Rebellion would be there. In fact the only one we know for sure not is Toyota, and mainly because of their horrid budgets.

None of this will ever* actually happen, of course, but at least it's --- sort of --- theoretically plausible, unlike full season LMP1. Or for that matter, even GT headliner class.

* foreseeable future
Old 15 Jan 2016, 21:13 (Ref:3605194)   #2705
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
IMSA class structure should just be named GTP, GTPL, GTO, and GTU.
That wouldn't work because IMSA is convinced that people who watch this series are idiots. It's the reason they use two colors for four classes.

All those classes with GT at the front would just confuse poor mythical Casual Fan.
Old 15 Jan 2016, 21:28 (Ref:3605208)   #2706
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
To be honest I never understood the facination of it either, and it's not easy to remember if you know nothing of the classes at the start.

P/PC/GT1/GT2 is simplest. I don't want P1 and P2 as those really would be only bad parody of the existing ACO classes, but in GT it's different. Neither LMGTE/LMGT2/GTLM or GT3/GTD make any sense whatsoever as titles today now that LMGT1 has been killed off and GT3 is just as endurance based as LMGTE, in fact even more so. And GTLM-GTD is just dumb.

Last edited by Deleted; 15 Jan 2016 at 21:34.
Old 15 Jan 2016, 21:53 (Ref:3605225)   #2707
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Class 1
Class 2
Class 3
Class 4

Alternatively:

Class A
Class B
Class C
Class D
Old 15 Jan 2016, 23:16 (Ref:3605241)   #2708
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Class 1
Class 2
Class 3
Class 4

Alternatively:

Class A
Class B
Class C
Class D
Too simple, you need to form a committee and develop an algorithm to generate class names. Everyone will be happy
Old 16 Jan 2016, 03:11 (Ref:3605262)   #2709
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GTP=DPi
PC=PC/P3

GT1=GTE
GT2=GT3
GT3=GT4

Then you could a guest class that would rotate every year for the NAEC:
Class1
Australia V8 Supercars
LMP1
Super 2000
Trans-Am TA cars

and so on...
Old 16 Jan 2016, 03:17 (Ref:3605264)   #2710
BullMan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcz View Post
GTP=DPi
PC=PC/P3

GT1=GTE
GT2=GT3
GT3=GT4

Then you could a guest class that would rotate every year for the NAEC:
Class1
Australia V8 Supercars
LMP1
Super 2000
Trans-Am TA cars

and so on...
That rotating class thing is actually a pretty good idea! Probably not LMP1 or Class One since they're faster than P2, but everything else would be cool to see in one race a year. I could get behind that. Hell, put light bars on the Cup cars and let them race one year.
Old 16 Jan 2016, 14:06 (Ref:3605348)   #2711
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The drainage work continues at Road Atlanta. The issues of last year have been addressed and I hope I don't get the chance to see how well they work!

https://twitter.com/RoadAtlanta/stat...28402230624257
Old 16 Jan 2016, 15:29 (Ref:3605357)   #2712
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
The drainage work continues at Road Atlanta. The issues of last year have been addressed and I hope I don't get the chance to see how well they work!

You got that right! But I am sure I will one day.

Any word on the nonsensical chicane from the esses being removed?
Old 16 Jan 2016, 18:38 (Ref:3605406)   #2713
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post

Not to my knowledge, but they still have a few months.
Old 16 Jan 2016, 20:20 (Ref:3605430)   #2714
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post

Yall come check out the 14 hr chump race at the track
and see the improvements first hand. Great and
cheap entertainment. Usually 60 - 70 entries.
http://www.chumpcar.com/register/sup...lrules/277.pdf
Old 16 Jan 2016, 21:58 (Ref:3605449)   #2715
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
And that is why it would have nothing to do with WEC, only "invitation for LMP1 to join us" letter from IMSA.

In a way, "Audi moping the field alone" probably would be better for the domestic cars, as that would give them more exposure than say Audi vs Toyota vs Porsche nailbiter where each was battling neck to neck.

We know for sure Rebellion would be there. In fact the only one we know for sure not is Toyota, and mainly because of their horrid budgets.

None of this will ever* actually happen, of course, but at least it's --- sort of --- theoretically plausible, unlike full season LMP1. Or for that matter, even GT headliner class.

* foreseeable future
Toyota's budget is bigger than Rebellion's, how is that horrid? Last rumored was $75 million. That is a lot of money. But it's budgeted for the wec, that's all. Though if Sebring was on the WEC calendar, they would go there. Just like late last year they said they could have had a third car at LM but Mexico was added after they finalized their 2016 budget. No one knows who would show up. The only thing certain is that Audi tests there. That'd be a different story if this was a WEC event, which looks unlikely.
Old 16 Jan 2016, 23:50 (Ref:3605491)   #2716
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Didnt the AMA put that in for bikes?
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 16 Jan 2016, 23:57 (Ref:3605492)   #2717
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
Didnt the AMA put that in for bikes?
Yes, but there's two. One to driver's left, that the bikes use and one on driver's right that, I've never seen used.
Old 17 Jan 2016, 15:21 (Ref:3605655)   #2718
BullMan
Veteran

Quote:
Yes, but there's two. One to driver's left, that the bikes use and one on driver's right that, I've never seen used.
On iRacing it's used on a Club Circuit configuration that also uses the drift circle and the bike final corner. I've never seen it actually used though.

Old 17 Jan 2016, 16:34 (Ref:3605664)   #2719
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMan View Post
On iRacing it's used on a Club Circuit configuration that also uses the drift circle and the bike final corner. I've never seen it actually used though.

Huh. Maybe driving schools use it as well. I hate it.
Old 18 Jan 2016, 18:39 (Ref:3605981)   #2720
Deleted
Veteran

http://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/ko...h-lamborghini/

“This is a money situation,” Konrad said. “I don’t have a sponsor for the full season and don’t want to take the risk of going race-by-race with pay drivers. What I did in the past, with the GT1 Saleen in American Le Mans Series, I had the budget for the full season and we went. We go to win. When you go with pay drivers, you cannot go for the win. That I don’t like.”

Aren't most of the am drivers 'pay drivers' anyway? Guess he means "worse pay drivers"...

Anyway I would love to have known budget for the Saleen, I assume he means 2002 as that was actually the only season they run full time in ALMS (2001 too but they missed Texas). Later there was only couple of random one-offs
Old 20 Jan 2016, 23:39 (Ref:3606740)   #2721
BullMan
Veteran

Marshall Pruett hits it out of the park with his profile on 2017 IMSA P2.

http://www.racer.com/more/viewpoints...=1&limitstart=
Old 21 Jan 2016, 02:46 (Ref:3606752)   #2722
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMan View Post
Marshall Pruett hits it out of the park with his profile on 2017 IMSA P2.

http://www.racer.com/more/viewpoints...=1&limitstart=
Not mentioned in the above is that a great many privateers are absolutely furious about being forced to use the Gibson engine if they don't want to change bodywork. IMSA's response has been "we don't need you."

This is not the way to run a major motorsports series.
Old 21 Jan 2016, 04:03 (Ref:3606766)   #2723
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
Not mentioned in the above is that a great many privateers are absolutely furious about being forced to use the Gibson engine if they don't want to change bodywork. IMSA's response has been "we don't need you."

This is not the way to run a major motorsports series.
got a source?
Old 21 Jan 2016, 04:27 (Ref:3606770)   #2724
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
got a source?
Yes....Sadly, I cannot cite it at this time because NDAs are involved - I did not sign them, but my source did, so I keep the source secret until NDAs expire both to protect them as well as my prospective employment with their organization(full disclosure of interests FTW).

I can say most of the fury is directed solely at Scott Atherton's management. It has become clear he does not like the "win at all costs" mentality, which is only going to hurt the series' long-term growth.

Last edited by FormulaFox; 21 Jan 2016 at 04:50.
Old 21 Jan 2016, 13:55 (Ref:3606840)   #2725
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
Yes....Sadly, I cannot cite it at this time because NDAs are involved - I did not sign them, but my source did, so I keep the source secret until NDAs expire both to protect them as well as my prospective employment with their organization(full disclosure of interests FTW).

I can say most of the fury is directed solely at Scott Atherton's management. It has become clear he does not like the "win at all costs" mentality, which is only going to hurt the series' long-term growth.
What if a manufacturer just wants to make an engine (HPD) that can run in any of the 4 chassis?