Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 3 Feb 2009, 17:37 (Ref:2387591)   #251
Alan Green
Veteran

England
Doncaster
Alan Green should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But we don't drink on GP weekends, we're professional amateurs all weekend, sensible, attentive, and ready to react at a moments notice, however dire the situation we're facing

Yeah right!

Last edited by Alan Green; 3 Feb 2009 at 17:40.
Old 3 Feb 2009, 18:54 (Ref:2387633)   #252
speedy jon
Racer

Wales
pencoed
speedy jon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Green

spot the ten tenths logo.
Old 3 Feb 2009, 18:59 (Ref:2387637)   #253
Ian Briggs
Veteran

Ian Briggs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, thats the first time I have heard about not including sprints etc, this means I have been filling in the form wrongly for 8 or so years, and whoever checks it hasnt either read it, or didnt know themselves....

The thursday for the safety car is OK, but its a little too soon in the day for me to get set up and organised, the day I did it I spent most of the time chatting to a camera man who had a lot of choice things to say about a certain small grey haired chap
Old 3 Feb 2009, 20:06 (Ref:2387669)   #254
Chris Hobson
Veteran

Chris Hobson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is an old saying that "Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men".

12 days in the duty for which you are applying - ergo speed, kart, rally etc. do not count. I have never been told GPs don't count either, so as far as I am concerned I don't exclude them.

No rule for having held a grade a certain time - as some of our volunteers might admit if asked. I always take the view that I will try to facilitate anyone's volunteering unless they are completely outside the guidelines.

All I can suggest is chill out, enjoy if you have been accepted and try again next year if you have not.

Me? - Either I will watch the first few laps on the TV with a very good bottle of wine, or find another event to officiate at! Failing that - a good ride on the motorbike!
Old 3 Feb 2009, 20:23 (Ref:2387675)   #255
Motorsportgirli
Racer

England
Hornsea
Motorsportgirli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh dear that is the picture from my first GP
Old 3 Feb 2009, 21:55 (Ref:2387729)   #256
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Poole, Dorset (Scouser in exile!)
Mike Kelly 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hobson
Me? - Either I will watch the first few laps on the TV with a very good bottle of wine, or find another event to officiate at! Failing that - a good ride on the motorbike!
What, didn't you get selected either Chris?

Mike Kelly - Patron saint of public houses!
Old 3 Feb 2009, 23:08 (Ref:2387788)   #257
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hobson
12 days in the duty for which you are applying - ergo speed, kart, rally etc. do not count.
When I was doing them, I always put down the speed stuff since I was performing incident duties. never crossed my mind it was really considered different.

Quote:
All I can suggest is chill out
Quite right, I hadn't volunteered anyway, just curiosity on my part since that came as a surprise.

Quote:
find another event to officiate at!
And how pleased I am that there's somewhere else to play that week-end. For those who do go, enjoy it. For those that didn't get in, Oulton will be much more fun anyway!
Old 4 Feb 2009, 12:21 (Ref:2388115)   #258
Nadine J Lewis
Veteran

England
Hartford, Northwich
Nadine J Lewis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have been advised that if you have never done a GP your application for incident was dismissed immediately (hence why I'm out even though I've done a few years of other stuff now).

There's also no reserve list as a few extras have been added on to the numbers already
Old 4 Feb 2009, 21:15 (Ref:2388465)   #259
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Theres also a few people that have done GP's in the past and have not been invited this year. just ask Fazza!

Old 4 Feb 2009, 22:17 (Ref:2388526)   #260
Red_08
Veteran

England
Mid-Cheshire
Red_08 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshalGirl
I have been advised that if you have never done a GP your application for incident was dismissed immediately (hence why I'm out even though I've done a few years of other stuff now).

There's also no reserve list as a few extras have been added on to the numbers already
Wow. That's interesting. Wish they'd have informed us about that in the first place though and it would have saved a loooooonnnng wait in anticipation. I wouldn't have even bothered but there you go. What's the betting if numbers were low, we might get a look in.

Anyway, nevermind. I am still surprised that yourself, MG, and the other very experienced that I know aren't involved. I can understand that I didn't.
I may have to have a holiday now. ....

.... at OP.
Old 4 Feb 2009, 23:34 (Ref:2388569)   #261
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Be interesting to see what the local circuits are for the people that have got the "No thanks" letters!

Let 10/10ths know!

Old 5 Feb 2009, 09:14 (Ref:2388759)   #262
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_08
Wow. That's interesting. Wish they'd have informed us about that in the first place though and it would have saved a loooooonnnng wait in anticipation. I wouldn't have even bothered but there you go. What's the betting if numbers were low, we might get a look in.
It's a question of supply & demand. Maybe required numbers are lower this year, maybe the number of applications is higher, possibly both. The selection criteria applied must be relevant to the numbers involved...take consolation that if you've been turned down because you've never done a GP there's nothing personal about it!
Old 5 Feb 2009, 10:47 (Ref:2388906)   #263
Paul Newns
Veteran

Paul Newns should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsquirrel
Would now be a good time to ask why we're volunteering for incident or flag anyway - surely with the new grading, we're all experienced marshals and should therefore rotate around the post doing incident and flag etc!
I don't think the FIA see it that way. We all get tabbards with our duty on. Flags even say Blue or Yellow (but we ignore that bit of bureaucracy).

I remember many years ago when I was still doing Incident (no, Fangio had retired by then before anyone says anything!) mine said something like Interventionmanpusher. I never did work out what that meant.

Like others have said, I've never known so many rejections in the last few years. I read somewhere the FIA had decided to have fewer marshals at GPs this season so I don't know whether that has something to do with it.

I'm going to be there again so the Oulton Park Curry Club will be operating again for the regulars.
Old 5 Feb 2009, 11:21 (Ref:2388939)   #264
ChrisA
Veteran

England
Sutton In Ashfield
ChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Has anybody mentioned the reason for so many rejections could be that on the back of ''Lewismania'' and possibly the last Silverstone GP, that many marshals volunteered, beyond the set criteria laid down by the FIA? Probably has been elsewere in the thread and I'm to lazy to trawl through it.
Old 5 Feb 2009, 11:25 (Ref:2388942)   #265
Red_08
Veteran

England
Mid-Cheshire
Red_08 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand
It's a question of supply & demand. Maybe required numbers are lower this year, maybe the number of applications is higher, possibly both. The selection criteria applied must be relevant to the numbers involved...take consolation that if you've been turned down because you've never done a GP there's nothing personal about it!
Oh no, don't worry Dave. I know it's not personal. I would have been pleasantly surprised if I'd got in for sure.

We have plenty of other meets to pick from as well, so it opens up the options for that weekend now. Especially as I've got a few days holiday booked.
Old 5 Feb 2009, 12:09 (Ref:2388976)   #266
Ian Lewis
Veteran

England
Hartford
Ian Lewis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA
Has anybody mentioned the reason for so many rejections could be that on the back of ''Lewismania'' and possibly the last Silverstone GP, that many marshals volunteered, beyond the set criteria laid down by the FIA? Probably has been elsewere in the thread and I'm to lazy to trawl through it.
Don't you come on here and blame me !
Old 5 Feb 2009, 12:26 (Ref:2388987)   #267
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If anyones looking for something else to do that weekend, the Rally of the Midlands visits Mallory on Friday evening & twice on Saturday, you'd be more than welcome.
Old 5 Feb 2009, 12:56 (Ref:2389008)   #268
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_08
Presumably they wouldn't have known how many people had applied until they had all applied? Not sure how they could have known ahead of that?
Old 5 Feb 2009, 13:15 (Ref:2389022)   #269
Nighthawk
Veteran

United Kingdom
Swindon, Wiltshire
Nighthawk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think Chris has hit the nail on the head...
Old 5 Feb 2009, 13:16 (Ref:2389023)   #270
blueoval2
Racer

England
blueoval2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kelly 1
Be interesting to see what the local circuits are for the people that have got the "No thanks" letters!

Let 10/10ths know!
My local circuit is snetterton i have done 1 gp 2007 last year my paperwork got lost this year NO thats life.
Old 5 Feb 2009, 13:24 (Ref:2389032)   #271
Stevie B
Rookie

England
Wirral
Stevie B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Lewis
Don't you come on here and blame me !

Old 5 Feb 2009, 13:40 (Ref:2389043)   #272
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk
I think Chris has hit the nail on the head...
Plus the 'it might be the last chance to do one' scenario which had me considering applying.

Can I suggest that the reason is that fewer marshals can be accepted because the FIA doesn't have enough industrial strength electricity resistant gloves, and those that are on post will have to share a pair? No?

Joking apart, I imagine that being on the selection panel is one of those jobs where whatever you do may be perceived as wrong or open to criticism. Knowing some of the people involved, I don't doubt they will have gone out of their way to apply a reasonable criteria as fairly as possible. Anyone on here might have approached that task differently, particularly as far as criteria are concerned, but then that's easy to do when you're not actually doing the job! I don't envy them their task and suggest that whether or not your application was succesful, they deserve thanks for their efforts.
Old 5 Feb 2009, 13:51 (Ref:2389048)   #273
Col_Rugby
Pancake Botherer
Racer

England
Rugby
Col_Rugby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kelly 1

Let 10/10ths know!

Silverstone & Mallory for me.

Both roughly equal distance.
Old 5 Feb 2009, 13:58 (Ref:2389054)   #274
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
No, Silverstone's a lot longer than Mallory...
Old 5 Feb 2009, 14:02 (Ref:2389060)   #275
Col_Rugby
Pancake Botherer
Racer

England
Rugby
Col_Rugby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley
No, Silverstone's a lot longer than Mallory...

Ok ok. Maybe I should have put travelling time/distance from where I live