Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 7 Jul 2015, 12:28 (Ref:3556454)   #251
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Wasn't all the V8Supercar apologists saying earlier this year that V8s were doing the right thing by not letting 'their' drivers race with the competition

If V8Supercars & the Bathurst 12hr were complimentary, there would have been no clash in 2015.
Dont think so, ive never seen that said anywhere. Dont think anyone was happy about the clash.
Well in the end the 12 hours organisers were, because V8 supercars gave them the best promotion they have ever had

Like i said Foxtel and Ch 7 are not complimentary. thus the clash.

However v8 supercar drivers are allowed to race next year, so your argument is stuffed
Old 7 Jul 2015, 12:30 (Ref:3556455)   #252
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Its actually complementary not complimentary, as I dont recall either party saying nice things about one another at the time...

V8SC has an event management group within its operational structure. Why not take on another event, to add it to the repertoire.

Or would it be better for V8SC to promote the cricket or NRL or AFL or some other sport?
“Although people make unpleasant comments when things I write do not come true, I am simply keeping readers up to speed of what is being discussed. If things turn out differently, it does not mean that these things were never discussed. Still, as I often say, you can take what I write or ignore it - and I really do not care. I’m simply trying to let you into the world of such discussions in F1.” - Joe Saward, Green Notebook from Saint-Doulchard
Old 7 Jul 2015, 22:30 (Ref:3556634)   #253
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
According to Speedcafe this morning the takeover is as good as done.Between this and CAMS destruction of the Shannon's Nationals last week it has been a terrible week for Australian motor sport away from the big end of town.By 2020 I guarantee there will be no 12 Hour.In the meantime 12 Hour fans prepared to be shafted in lots of ways.For example campsite on mountain for 12 Hour is $80 and for 1000 $265.
Please no gloating from village idiot V8SA trolls.(you know who you are)
Old 7 Jul 2015, 22:45 (Ref:3556636)   #254
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
According to Speedcafe this morning the takeover is as good as done.Between this and CAMS destruction of the Shannon's Nationals last week it has been a terrible week for Australian motor sport away from the big end of town.By 2020 I guarantee there will be no 12 Hour.In the meantime 12 Hour fans prepared to be shafted in lots of ways.For example campsite on mountain for 12 Hour is $80 and for 1000 $265.
Please no gloating from village idiot V8SA trolls.(you know who you are)
Quick the sky is falling, the sky is falling.

How will you guarantee that? and based on what? Yyour comment flys in the face of what all the GT3 fans are telling us, how this series is going to grow. It totally ignores the link to an OS championship that may very well come from this

why would V8S pay a million dollar plus (did someone say $4M) to close something down

I guarantee that by 2020 you will be wrong. (guarantee is just for those that like to make ridiculous comments)
Old 7 Jul 2015, 23:04 (Ref:3556640)   #255
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So reports are that the deal is close, and that the V8s will run their test day/weekend at the meeting. And surely that means only 2 categories at the meeting? Good luck with that.

The meeting was great in it's purity while it lasted I guess.

Last edited by mayhem; 7 Jul 2015 at 23:12.
Old 7 Jul 2015, 23:13 (Ref:3556643)   #256
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
So reports are that the deal is close, and that the V8s will run their test day/weekend at the meeting. The meeting was great in it's purity while it lasted I guess.
No guarantee that the test day will happen at the same time or at Bathurst.

Having it at Bathurst will take away many of the reason they have the test day in the first place.

this was just lowndes responding to a question
Old 8 Jul 2015, 00:06 (Ref:3556649)   #257
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
No guarantee that the test day will happen at the same time or at Bathurst.

Having it at Bathurst will take away many of the reason they have the test day in the first place.

this was just lowndes responding to a question
The event is going to lose all identity if this goes through. So very disappointing.
Old 8 Jul 2015, 00:14 (Ref:3556651)   #258
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
The event is going to lose all identity if this goes through. So very disappointing.
with a race day crowd of 12,000 people that is probably a good thing. clearly the identity is not working
Old 8 Jul 2015, 01:06 (Ref:3556657)   #259
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quoting single day crowds again Pecky. Hope you are consistent with that.

Considering the annual growth of the event and crowd I would suggest it is working.

The events identity was built on a family friendly, accessible and different to other domestic events. The international category and flavours added to this.

This could descend into a Bathurst 1000 2.0 with a whole wasted on cars testing
Old 8 Jul 2015, 02:28 (Ref:3556669)   #260
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Quoting single day crowds again Pecky. Hope you are consistent with that.

Considering the annual growth of the event and crowd I would suggest it is working.

The events identity was built on a family friendly, accessible and different to other domestic events. The international category and flavours added to this.

This could descend into a Bathurst 1000 2.0 with a whole wasted on cars testing
DRT Why dont you want to see this event grow?

If you want a family friendly accessible event go to the local hill climb track or go karts or even shannons nationals or a state event

This is an international event that deserves big crowds.
Old 8 Jul 2015, 02:53 (Ref:3556672)   #261
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:

If you want a family friendly accessible event go to the local hill climb track or go karts or even shannons nationals or a state event

Pecky the event has and is growing. I think we have all enjoyed that since 2007 and in particular the rapid growth since 2011.

No one is against growth - they are against a takeover which would change the DNA of the event.

International events can be family friendly and accessible - the 2 don't have to be separate. V8SC have a great wicket in October - stay there
Old 8 Jul 2015, 03:10 (Ref:3556675)   #262
GroupCAction
Rookie

Australia
Sydney, Australia
GroupCAction should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So its that time of the year when we should be getting excited & speculating about cars/teams coming out for the 12hr but instead its deja vu & we have to sift through the same bullshit as we did from around this time last year to the race in Feb this year.

My personal opinion is that this isn't going to end well for the 12hr. I still am trying to process/digest the article that was on Speedcafe the other day. Various scenarios run through my head but I can't help but feel this is a power play by the Supercar mob. I can't see a test day at the Mountain for them, heck there isn't enough garages to house them. The race that has grown from a seed into a flower of the Sportscar world & i for one hope it continues to grow into a dozen red roses of the Sportscar world!!

In a perfect world, for me SRO takes over the event & it continues to rise into one of the jewels of the Sportscar calendar... I guess in summary i just don't want ANY V8 Supercars near the Mountain in Feb. I don't want the drivers, nothing. They have their turn in Oct & when the second track gets up & running at Bathurst i think it'd be great for a sprint round to be held there for the V8 boys... BUT please please.. F OFF in Feb V8SC
Old 8 Jul 2015, 10:53 (Ref:3556726)   #263
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
The Speedcafe article claiming that a deal is as good as done has got to be wishful thinking. No different then Auto Fiction doing the same thing so if it happens they can claim they were on the inside of the deal. Pretty **** poor journalism.
Old 8 Jul 2015, 11:41 (Ref:3556732)   #264
bathurst
Racer

Australia
sydney
bathurst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pecky why do we have to have v8s with the 12hr.
The 12hr is a great event in its own right.
No grandstands! Plenty of areas for the general public to access that we can't in October, and room to move.
Why does the Mountain have to have capacity crowds every time.
We also like seeing different categories, not just the same categories we get with the v8s.
And the 12hr doesn't have half hour gaps between cars on track or entertainment sessions.
They are pure Motorsport.
Old 8 Jul 2015, 12:07 (Ref:3556739)   #265
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst View Post
Pecky why do we have to have v8s with the 12hr.
The 12hr is a great event in its own right.
No grandstands! Plenty of areas for the general public to access that we can't in October, and room to move.
Why does the Mountain have to have capacity crowds every time.
We also like seeing different categories, not just the same categories we get with the v8s.
And the 12hr doesn't have half hour gaps between cars on track or entertainment sessions.
They are pure Motorsport.
Im trying to sort the wheat from the chaff in your comment however i think what you are saying is you like the event being small and no one else coming.

and you are happy for all these international teams and drivers to come over, but you dont want anyone else to watch them.

Maybe you should considered stumping up the millions for the promotion rights then

Last edited by peckstar; 8 Jul 2015 at 12:17.
Old 8 Jul 2015, 12:24 (Ref:3556740)   #266
Rookie

1961 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Let's abandon all this **** talk and remind ourselves that in just over a couple of weeks time many of the drivers, cars and teams from this year's 12 hour will be racing in the Spa 24 hour race - an event true fans of the 12 hour admire (not a taxi in sight).

There are even drivers racing there who had to put up with a prime example of what can happen at an event 'promoted' 'owned' and 'run by' V8 Supercars - the 'What used to be great' 1000.

That's the one where when all the teams forced to stop at half time due to track repairs were ludicrously allowed to rebuild their cars so they were fresh for the afternoon race.

So much for growing an event. More like laughing stock.

I'm half expecting at this year's 1000 they will introduce another break with about half an hour to go so everyone can fix their cars for the run to the flag.

To Scudd, Lowndesy, Steve Owen, Dave Russell and Giz (and all the others who have raced at Bathurst) have a great race at Spa and come back next year.
Old 8 Jul 2015, 22:10 (Ref:3556868)   #267
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1961 View Post
Let's abandon all this **** talk and remind ourselves that in just over a couple of weeks time many of the drivers, cars and teams from this year's 12 hour will be racing in the Spa 24 hour race - an event true fans of the 12 hour admire (not a taxi in sight).

There are even drivers racing there who had to put up with a prime example of what can happen at an event 'promoted' 'owned' and 'run by' V8 Supercars - the 'What used to be great' 1000.

That's the one where when all the teams forced to stop at half time due to track repairs were ludicrously allowed to rebuild their cars so they were fresh for the afternoon race.

So much for growing an event. More like laughing stock.

I'm half expecting at this year's 1000 they will introduce another break with about half an hour to go so everyone can fix their cars for the run to the flag.

To Scudd, Lowndesy, Steve Owen, Dave Russell and Giz (and all the others who have raced at Bathurst) have a great race at Spa and come back next year.
ive sorted through all the unnecessary discussion on v8s (hardly their fault the track broke up. its happened once in 52 years)

however i think what you are suggesting is that we have all these world class teams and drivers racing at the 12 hour. Then naturally you would agree that more people in Australia should be coming to watch them (and watching them on TV) and thus they deserve some better promotion.
Old 8 Jul 2015, 22:37 (Ref:3556870)   #268
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
ive sorted through all the unnecessary discussion on v8s (hardly their fault the track broke up. its happened once in 52 years)

however i think what you are suggesting is that we have all these world class teams and drivers racing at the 12 hour. Then naturally you would agree that more people in Australia should be coming to watch them (and watching them on TV) and thus they deserve some better promotion.
He didn't say that it was their fault that the track broke up, but that it was a joke that they were allowed to rebuild their cars. Read the posts correctly before responding.
Old 8 Jul 2015, 22:43 (Ref:3556871)   #269
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reload View Post
He didn't say that it was their fault that the track broke up, but that it was a joke that they were allowed to rebuild their cars. Read the posts correctly before responding.
and i said

Discuss
Old 8 Jul 2015, 23:58 (Ref:3556881)   #270
old fart
Racer

Australia
a racetrack -wish it was Mt Panorama.
old fart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridold fart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Pecky's second paragraph is most revealing-he admits that
" if you want a family friendly accessible event go to the local hill climb track or go karts or even shannons nationals or a state event."

Based upon that one must construe that he is of the opinion that Supercars do not fall into that category.
Old 9 Jul 2015, 00:28 (Ref:3556885)   #271
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fart View Post
Pecky's second paragraph is most revealing-he admits that
" if you want a family friendly accessible event go to the local hill climb track or go karts or even shannons nationals or a state event."

Based upon that one must construe that he is of the opinion that Supercars do not fall into that category.
repeat this is a 12 hour thread, lets discuss it and not v8 supercars
Old 9 Jul 2015, 01:40 (Ref:3556891)   #272
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Pecky the event has and is growing. I think we have all enjoyed that since 2007 and in particular the rapid growth since 2011.

No one is against growth - they are against a takeover which would change the DNA of the event.

International events can be family friendly and accessible - the 2 don't have to be separate. V8SC have a great wicket in October - stay there
You are 100% correct.Whether you take the starting point for James involvement at Bathurst being the 2006 Motor Festival, the 2007 12 Hour or the first GT3 12 Hour in 2011 the event has grown massively.
Contrast this with V8SA in the private equity era where crowds,TV ratings and series sponsorship have all fallen Signifigantly.They had to do the pay TV deal which in their own words was a matter of short term financial survival.The teams have not had a respectable dividend from their shareholding for some years.
I know which of Archer or Yeehah has a better record of growing our sport and it isn't Archer.
Old 9 Jul 2015, 01:49 (Ref:3556892)   #273
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
repeat this is a 12 hour thread, lets discuss it and not v8 supercars
Says the guy who has mentioned the V8's in no less than 9 posts over the last 4 pages ? Pecky has his own rules and always uses the "off topic" call when found out
Does Craig Lowndes stay with Maranello or will T8 get involved and want their own drivers in it ?
Old 9 Jul 2015, 01:58 (Ref:3556894)   #274
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
You are 100% correct.Whether you take the starting point for James involvement at Bathurst being the 2006 Motor Festival, the 2007 12 Hour or the first GT3 12 Hour in 2011 the event has grown massively.
Contrast this with V8SA in the private equity era where crowds,TV ratings and series sponsorship have all fallen Signifigantly.They had to do the pay TV deal which in their own words was a matter of short term financial survival.The teams have not had a respectable dividend from their shareholding for some years.
I know which of Archer or Yeehah has a better record of growing our sport and it isn't Archer.

Ha ha 12hour teams have never got any dividend from Yeehah, in fact 12 hour teams pay Yeehah to let them race

Most recent Bathurst 1000 up 12000 people on prior year. Most recent Bathurst 12 hour up 6000

Financial survival is based on two different theories. the 12 hour uses having rich old men fund their series through their personal cash. the 1000 uses have external parties like sponsors and media companies fund their series
Old 9 Jul 2015, 02:02 (Ref:3556896)   #275
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reload View Post
Says the guy who has mentioned the V8's in no less than 9 posts over the last 4 pages ? Pecky has his own rules and always uses the "off topic" call when found out
Does Craig Lowndes stay with Maranello or will T8 get involved and want their own drivers in it ?
so tell me what you think, should the event grow or stay little?