Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 8 Feb 2006, 17:59 (Ref:1518233)   #251
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Toyota don't want to pay for him in a series they aren't racing in.
Old 8 Feb 2006, 22:06 (Ref:1518385)   #252
ozrevhead
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide, Australia
ozrevhead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
Toyota didnt want to pay for him ? What was 2005, why are Toyota trying to get him to run in Japan.

Briscoe is hugely talented and more than worthy of a CC seat and TA's support, just NOT at the expense of Tags.
when Toyota gave Jordan their engines they could of easly had Ryan in the package to drive for them if they were serious. There was suttlebut to that effect even.

their refusal to do that was an indicator of what they thought

Last edited by ozrevhead; 8 Feb 2006 at 22:07. Reason: spell check
Old 9 Feb 2006, 00:32 (Ref:1518460)   #253
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozrevhead
when Toyota gave Jordan their engines they could of easly had Ryan in the package to drive for them if they were serious. There was suttlebut to that effect even.

their refusal to do that was an indicator of what they thought
You've got it a bit skewed.

Ryan had the Jordan seat in the bag for 2005 - with some (but not a lot) of help from Toyota.

Ryan decided he did not want to drive around at the back of the F1 grid for a year, and chose to race at the front of the IRL with a championship-winning team - with Toyota's blessing.

Hindsight says it was a bad decision, but Ryan went with what he thought was best.

If he races Champ Cars this year, he will do so without Toyota backing. He may do some testing for the Toyota F1 team, but they will not contribute to any ride in Champ Cars - particularly when there will be a Ford logo on his overalls.

TMC (not Toyota Motorpsort) wants him in Japan to be their star in SGTC and Nippon, but Ryan is not too keen on that.
Old 9 Feb 2006, 00:42 (Ref:1518467)   #254
ozrevhead
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
You've got it a bit skewed.

Ryan had the Jordan seat in the bag for 2005 - with some (but not a lot) of help from Toyota.

Ryan decided he did not want to drive around at the back of the F1 grid for a year, and chose to race at the front of the IRL with a championship-winning team - with Toyota's blessing.

Hindsight says it was a bad decision, but Ryan went with what he thought was best.

If he races Champ Cars this year, he will do so without Toyota backing. He may do some testing for the Toyota F1 team, but they will not contribute to any ride in Champ Cars - particularly when there will be a Ford logo on his overalls.

TMC (not Toyota Motorpsort) wants him in Japan to be their star in SGTC and Nippon, but Ryan is not too keen on that.
Wasn't there rumors that he couldnt come up with the $$$ to go to Jordan because they wanted a driver with sponsorship...somehow it wasnt in the bag as you think.

Same problem with PVK and now with team Oz

Australian drivers will never be one of the driver up to their armpits in sponsorship - Thank Christ for Alex Yoong!!! (F1 reference)
Old 9 Feb 2006, 00:50 (Ref:1518471)   #255
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They were just that ..... rumours.

He had the Jordan drive, but turned it down.

And if he does end up at PKV, he certainly won't be bringing money - rather the other way around.

He won't bring money to Team Australia either, its a matter of Team Australia finding the funds for the entry, and Briscoe's salary.
Old 9 Feb 2006, 01:05 (Ref:1518474)   #256
ozrevhead
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
They were just that ..... rumours.

He had the Jordan drive, but turned it down.

And if he does end up at PKV, he certainly won't be bringing money - rather the other way around.

He won't bring money to Team Australia either, its a matter of Team Australia finding the funds for the entry, and Briscoe's salary.
it looks like that was a bad move - he doesnt have sponsorship dollars so he wont get anything
Old 9 Feb 2006, 02:05 (Ref:1518502)   #257
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Seems some very big non Briscoe bias you have in your eyes Oz. PKV if they chose Briscoe, dont need money from him. TA are looking for money to run the 3rd car, not asking Briscoe for money.

If everything falls over in CC respects, theres also the Grand Am seat, however that would be about option 7.
Old 9 Feb 2006, 02:09 (Ref:1518505)   #258
ozrevhead
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide, Australia
Quote:
Seems some very big non Briscoe bias you have in your eyes Oz. PKV if they chose Briscoe, dont need money from him. TA are looking for money to run the 3rd car, not asking Briscoe for money.

If everything falls over in CC respects, theres also the Grand Am seat, however that would be about option 7.
im not very optamistc atmo - i think the publicity with Legge(sp?) will get her the PVK seat and team oz did say they dont have the $$$ to run a third car.

Ryan should have a drive somewhere, but atmo im not sure where he can go.

Also i dont believe that most european and USA forumers know how hard it its for an Aussie Team/Driver to get the money we need.(not pointed at you)

I think the Aussie guys that are in motorsport to date have done a fine job with this point in mind.
Old 9 Feb 2006, 02:13 (Ref:1518507)   #259
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, but Team Aus also said they are still seeking sponsor money and the season is still 2 months away.
Old 9 Feb 2006, 02:20 (Ref:1518510)   #260
ozrevhead
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide, Australia
ive got my fingers and toes crossed that your right and Im wrong...

but my gut feel tells me otherwise
Old 10 Feb 2006, 11:20 (Ref:1519540)   #261
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Chris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ryan Briscoe seems reasonably confident he will get the PKV gig:

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0...-23770,00.html
Old 10 Feb 2006, 16:39 (Ref:1519757)   #262
Ac.
Racer

Canada
Waterloo, Ont.
Ac. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dan Clarke also sounds confident that he is coming to Champ Car in this article. He doesn't state which team though....

This article was posted on the Champ Car website, I wonder if that means it has some validity to it?
Old 10 Feb 2006, 20:53 (Ref:1519920)   #263
coyote9999
Racer

Canada
Montreal, Canada
coyote9999 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I read somewhere on the web that he was a possibility at Rocketsports and Dale Coyne.
Old 25 Feb 2006, 15:35 (Ref:1531360)   #264
StickShift
Veteran

StickShift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Carpentier in line for PKV seat
TSN.ca Staff - 2/24/2006 2:03:09 PM

Patrick Carpentier could be making a return to Champ Car in 2006.

The Canadian says he should find out by end of Friday whether or not he is in line for the second seat at PKV Racing, according to Autosport.com.

Carpentier also revealed that there was an outside chance he would return with Forsythe Racing until the team confirmed Mexican Mario Dominguez earlier this week.

Carpentier says if the PKV opportunity falls through, he will likely turn his attention to NASCAR, which is of interest to his longtime sponsor Mecachrome.

"We're looking at doing a program of Craftsman Trucks and Busch Series rounds," he tells Autosport.com. "I'd be interested to try it, for sure. I could end up racing Paul again - that would be fun."

[...]
I think Carpentier would be an excellent option for PKV. He has all of the experience that PKV is looking for, he's an excellent personality for the series, and he's proven that he can be a bloody quick driver. Frankly, I hope he gets the seat just so he doesn't end up in Nascar.

Also, considering the last two PKV rumours (Jourdain and Carpentier), it's pretty obvious that PKV are looking for experience to help Legge, rather than a hotshot rookie like Briscoe or Montagny.

I suspect if the seat came through, we will hear this weekend.
Old 27 Feb 2006, 00:04 (Ref:1532175)   #265
mac
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickShift
Also, considering the last two PKV rumours (Jourdain and Carpentier), it's pretty obvious that PKV are looking for experience to help Legge, rather than a hotshot rookie like Briscoe or Montagny.
Shame Jourdain or Carpentier don't have the pace of a "hotshoe rookie" like Briscoe, Montagny or Pantano.

I would think with years of experience in the F1 game, and countless years in European junior formulae, any of these three "rookies" would be experienced enough.

Call me a cynic, but perhaps PKV don't want their "investment" to be blown into the weeds all season long ......?

Perhaps they are looking for a slightly slower, more experienced driver - one where the "investment" can hide behind a lack of experience for being slower .....
Old 27 Feb 2006, 00:41 (Ref:1532188)   #266
okeefe
Racer

Canada
Simcoe, Ontario
okeefe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On the home page of the Champ Car web site; on "teams" I notice PKV's team list shows: Dalziel, Legge, daMatta, Briscoe and Vasser.
Old 27 Feb 2006, 00:55 (Ref:1532192)   #267
okeefe
Racer

Canada
Simcoe, Ontario
okeefe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ac.
Dan Clarke also sounds confident that he is coming to Champ Car in this article. He doesn't state which team though....

This article was posted on the Champ Car website, I wonder if that means it has some validity to it?
On Champ Car website in "teams" I notice Dan Clarke is listed as a driver for team MiJack, also listed are Danielsson, Kasements, Philippe, Ranger and Heylen.
I must be missing something - from what I've seen, they list these drivers there and then act like it's a surprise when they're announced or something.
Old 27 Feb 2006, 03:03 (Ref:1532216)   #268
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
Shame Jourdain or Carpentier don't have the pace of a "hotshoe rookie" like Briscoe, Montagny or Pantano.
I have never really rated Jourdain but Carpentier is a proven talent. Personally I would have a difficult time choosing Briscoe, Montagny or Pantano over him. These drivers may have F1 experience but they aren't setting the F1 world alight either. Both Briscoe and Montagny have been let out into the wilderness it would appear. I think they are worthy of a drive in Champ Car and would be very hungry. I think however Carpentier's experience coupled with his speed would be the greater advantage to the team.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 27 Feb 2006, 03:15 (Ref:1532218)   #269
mac
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy-ace
I have never really rated Jourdain but Carpentier is a proven talent. Personally I would have a difficult time choosing Briscoe, Montagny or Pantano over him. These drivers may have F1 experience but they aren't setting the F1 world alight either. Both Briscoe and Montagny have been let out into the wilderness it would appear. I think they are worthy of a drive in Champ Car and would be very hungry. I think however Carpentier's experience coupled with his speed would be the greater advantage to the team.
As much as I like Pat, in his time in Champ Cars he has NEVER proven himself to be a consistent frontrunner.

I can never see him being in a position to seriously challenge for a championship.

Sure he shows plenty of speed on occasion, and has even looked the class of the field at (rare) times.

He simply NEVER does it consistently enough though.

As Formula One test drivers Briscoe and Montagny have been groomed to be wickedly fast and extremely consistent.

As for the "left in the wilderness" comment, I don't know enough about Montagny's situation, but Briscoe still maintains contact with the Toyota F1 squad - in fact he recently set the team's fastest time of a three day test in Barcelona (faster than Ralf, Jarno and Ricardo).

If there was a shootout tomorrow in a PKV car at any North American road course with Carpentier, Briscoe, Montagny and Pantano, I would put money on Pat being fourth.

As I said, I like Carpentier a lot - and Jourdain too, for that matter - but I just do not think they could compete with some of the youngsters mentioned.
Old 27 Feb 2006, 03:33 (Ref:1532225)   #270
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
Never questioned their speed, consistent speed remains to be seen.
Briscoe may have contact with the Toyota team still, but he doesn't have a ride with them. Either racing or testing. Fact is Zonta and Panis are regarded higher, whether they are quicker or not.
Montagny meanwhile is in line for a testing role with Super Aguri (woohoo!) after being dropped by Renault. That speaks volumes in of itself.
I think these guys would be GREAT additions to any Champ Car team and the difference between them and Carpentier at this stage of their careers is marginal at best. Also Carpentier does have a recognition factor, especially in Quebec, that can only help the series.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 27 Feb 2006, 11:30 (Ref:1532425)   #271
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
As much as I like Pat, in his time in Champ Cars he has NEVER proven himself to be a consistent frontrunner.

I can never see him being in a position to seriously challenge for a championship.

Sure he shows plenty of speed on occasion, and has even looked the class of the field at (rare) times.

He simply NEVER does it consistently enough though.
Agree entirely. I view Carpentier as a driver who's had plenty of chances with competitive equipment, but never truly delivered.
Old 27 Feb 2006, 11:58 (Ref:1532446)   #272
D.R.T.
Veteran

I rate Carpentier highly. Would be an inspired pick for 2006 and I personally would pick him before Briscoe, Pantano and Montagny.

While I like the thought Mac put into his conspiracy, a selection Jourdain or Carpentier Jourdain and Carpentier would be a boost in terms of CC experience when still trying to sort out the vehicle but also a plus when considering CC key Markets.
Old 27 Feb 2006, 12:02 (Ref:1532449)   #273
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
I think the only time Carp truly had competitive equipment was when Forsythe brought (at PT's request) in the Lola. Prior to that it was poor Mercedes engines and later on it was the Reynard chassis.
Old 28 Feb 2006, 00:34 (Ref:1532863)   #274
mac
Veteran

Quote:
While I like the thought Mac put into his conspiracy .......
Didn't put much effort into it .......

It was the only reason I could come up with why a good team that has spent the winter testing, and publicly pumping up the talents of three very impressive young drivers, only to seemingly turn to older, previously unsuccessful drivers.

Why did they bother testing the three of them anyway!? Seems Legge only had to keep it on the black stuff to get the drive. And if they wanted a steady, "experienced" hand as her foil, why even bother testing Briscoe, Montagny and Pantano other than to create the public perception that Legge earnt her ride?

I guess I just failed to come up with any answers, other than a supposed "conspiracy".

I also question the importance of a "guiding hand" in a team that already has Jimmy Vasser in the mix precisely for that reason. I would argue that without having to worry about his own performance, he might even be in a better position to help out.

Of course, all of this is hypothetical, and PKV might just make the right decision and put one of the flying youngsters in there .....
Old 28 Feb 2006, 00:35 (Ref:1532865)   #275
mac
Veteran

Quote:
...... a selection Jourdain or Carpentier would be a boost in terms of CC experience when still trying to sort out the vehicle but also a plus when considering CC key Markets.
Great, change the name of the team from PKV Racing to Champ Car Marketing!