Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 12 Apr 2009, 14:51 (Ref:2439317)   #251
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
AFAIK this wasn't in any queue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Whilst I don't necessarily see an issue with the outside of the track, because the barrier runs to the limit of the gravel trap, the inside barrier is too close.

BTW. Is that Maggie's Smart car in one of those pics?
Yes it was in response to the above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Peter,

Is that a comment about the post I made with several photo links (one probably including a Smart car) which does not seem to have appeared as yet? I assume it is still in the moderation queue?

If not then ignore this and I'll leave it the next check until later tonight. Recent weather means the grass cutter (temperamental 4 stroke thing) needs to be chivvied into action for the rest of the afternoon ...

Edit: Judging by the speed at which this came through I would guess not. I wonder if something else happened to it? Quite possible as I am working across 2 machines today ...

Grant
See my reply above.

More of the same?

BTW I received an e mail from Steve Carr today which thanked everyone for their efforts at Donington.
Old 12 Apr 2009, 17:37 (Ref:2439375)   #252
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
One can live in hope Comte,it would be a wonderfull opportunity for Silverstone,get this years GP out of the way and then look at getting something up and running that would put GW in the shade,how it used to be.Lets face it,the GP circus is just that.How often do you get to see a "race" these days? Most of the drivers are aware of the result the day before! Personally,I could'nt care less if the GP doe's only run at Bernies chosen cash cow venues.
Wise words, Terence. The world does not end merely because one looses a GP. British fans are famous (even in France) for their passion for Formula One. Starved of a GP maybe they will turn to historic GP - and club racing can only benefit.
Old 12 Apr 2009, 17:50 (Ref:2439381)   #253
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not only that, but without a loss making enterprise on it's [MSA's] hands, prehaps a bit more money can be freed up for development of the sport
Old 12 Apr 2009, 21:30 (Ref:2439480)   #254
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by compte deGraves View Post
Wise words, Terence. The world does not end merely because one looses a GP. British fans are famous (even in France) for their passion for Formula One. Starved of a GP maybe they will turn to historic GP - and club racing can only benefit.

That would be the desired result Comte,but in reality? I somehow doubt that club racing would benefit from the loss.Overall I think that F3/BTCC etc would feel the benefit first off.
Old 12 Apr 2009, 21:52 (Ref:2439488)   #255
PTRACER
Racer

England
Romford, Essex, U.K.
PTRACER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I suppose it depends which fans you are talking about; armchair enthusiasts who are happy to watch it on TV, or those that pay out several hundred quid to watch it on a large TV at the track.

I've missed maybe one or two Grand Prix in the last 10 years on the television and there is no chance of me ever paying to watch one as a spectator at the track. Without a British GP, I will still happily watch the other 17/18 races.

The fans that only ever go to a circuit when a Grand Prix is on would most likely stay at home instead and those who see both Grand Prix and other race series as well, would just continue going to the meetings they've always been going to.
Old 12 Apr 2009, 22:02 (Ref:2439494)   #256
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
AFAIK this wasn't in any queue.

Yes it was in response to the above.

See my reply above.

More of the same?
Peter,

Ah, that's weird. I could see your message but not mine with the list of pics. When posting I got an 'In moderation queue' message. Hence my question. Refreshed the screen several times and checked on another PC and still nothing appeared.

Anyway, I reposted just in case I had screwed up with the same message and the same result - nothing appeared. So yes, it was more of the same and ripe for deletion.

Odd. Do all messages with links autmatically bring up the 'Moderation' message when posted?

Glad it is all sorted and my apologies for any confusion and work caused. Thanks for the response.

Grant
Old 14 Apr 2009, 10:51 (Ref:2440350)   #257
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
So Donnington has lost its license and the developers are looking for funds which they are unlikely to find.
Whats happens now?
Tom buys the lease back for next to nothing which allows his mate Bernie to screw BRDC for a final time and control ownership at Silverstone and everyone has got what they want.Bernie would make a better owner than present lot at Silverstone and become the saviour of the British GP

Couldn't make it up.
Old 14 Apr 2009, 11:00 (Ref:2440360)   #258
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
so maybe Wilkinshaw and the others trying to capitalize the assets of BRDC in recent times were not the ogres they were painted to be at the time!
Old 14 Apr 2009, 11:06 (Ref:2440365)   #259
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hmm,

I'm sorry if this is the end of the plans, although if it is I'm not surprised at all. Certainly your scenario is not without its humorous side but Bernie as the saviour of the BGP?

As an aside, my mum knew Tom Wheatcroft when he was just a developer, he employed the qauntity surveying company she worked for in London. Can't see him making the mistakes that this team seems to have made.
Old 14 Apr 2009, 11:09 (Ref:2440367)   #260
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
presumably if they break the clauses within their lease it will revert back to him - as JR said he and Bernie must be having a wry old chuckle
Old 14 Apr 2009, 11:11 (Ref:2440368)   #261
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
In the meantime, Masters has a big event there soon.....................................
Old 14 Apr 2009, 11:26 (Ref:2440378)   #262
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
In the meantime, Masters has a big event there soon.....................................

Quite. Car is ready, hotel rooms paid for and a chance to do Guards at S'stone turned down. Along with many others, will be well p****d if it doesn't happen!
Old 14 Apr 2009, 11:27 (Ref:2440379)   #263
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
So Donnington has lost its license and the developers are looking for funds which they are unlikely to find.
Whats happens now?
Tom buys the lease back for next to nothing which allows his mate Bernie to screw BRDC for a final time and control ownership at Silverstone and everyone has got what they want.Bernie would make a better owner than present lot at Silverstone and become the saviour of the British GP

Couldn't make it up.
I don't get why the lease reverting to TW would give him any control of Silverstone?
Old 14 Apr 2009, 11:38 (Ref:2440385)   #264
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
The GP deal would be off and John thinks that Bernie would twist Silverstone's arm.
Old 14 Apr 2009, 11:50 (Ref:2440395)   #265
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Hmm,

I'm sorry if this is the end of the plans, although if it is I'm not surprised at all. Certainly your scenario is not without its humorous side but Bernie as the saviour of the BGP?

As an aside, my mum knew Tom Wheatcroft when he was just a developer, he employed the qauntity surveying company she worked for in London. Can't see him making the mistakes that this team seems to have made.
Hmm indeed. Don't forget that Tom Wheatcroft is Chairman of the company currently "running" Donington.

Jim
Old 14 Apr 2009, 11:54 (Ref:2440401)   #266
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
The GP deal would be off and John thinks that Bernie would twist Silverstone's arm.
Oh I see...not sure how that would work. BCE has said No to the BGP being at Silverstone so he's not likely to go to them on bended knees and as Silverstone had already said that they weren't prepared to pay what BCE wanted I would imagine it will go somewhere a bit hotter won't it?
Old 14 Apr 2009, 11:57 (Ref:2440402)   #267
Piglet
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW View Post
Hmm indeed. Don't forget that Tom Wheatcroft is Chairman of the company currently "running" Donington.

Jim
Does anyone know how the lease structure works?

TW owns the freehold (through a company?), Long lease granted to Gillets mob? Operating/short term lease owned by TW/company employing TW?
Old 14 Apr 2009, 12:04 (Ref:2440407)   #268
simon drabble
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet View Post
Oh I see...not sure how that would work. BCE has said No to the BGP being at Silverstone so he's not likely to go to them on bended knees and as Silverstone had already said that they weren't prepared to pay what BCE wanted I would imagine it will go somewhere a bit hotter won't it?
or colder.... I think the CEE region is a more likely candidate... As they are planning to redevelop Baku Port maybe that could become the new Monaco GP!!
Old 14 Apr 2009, 12:05 (Ref:2440408)   #269
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW View Post

Jim
I do believe that he is in fact, the President, with Kevin Wheatcroft as a special adviser. I am not sure how much influence they have...

Quote:
Donington Park founder Tom Wheatcroft has agreed to join the company and will assume the role of President with immediate effect. Kevin Wheatcroft also joins the company as special advisor and brings expertise and knowledge that will help develop and promote the Donington Grand Prix Collection
http://www.doningtonparkleisure.co.uk/news/story.asp
Old 14 Apr 2009, 12:16 (Ref:2440417)   #270
simon drabble
Veteran

Quote:
If this is moved to Rockingham it will be a reunion for both Top Hat (whose first race was there if my memory serves me right at that one off festival) and of course Mr Tate who is a central figure of Rockingham's history
Old 14 Apr 2009, 13:25 (Ref:2440468)   #271
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Rons money in Rockingham?
BRDC needs Bernie more than Bernie needs BRDC.
Lets hope someone makes Rockingham into something worthwhile.
NASCAR would have been a better bet than Indy Cars and a decent road course.

Its all a bit of a mess ,now back to woes of Donnington
Certain that neither Bernie nor Tom will lose.
Old 14 Apr 2009, 14:05 (Ref:2440498)   #272
Dave 455
Racer

Dave 455 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The circuit currently has all 4 licences suspended, international car (FIA),
national car (MSA), international bike and national bike.
They are saying it will be a quicker fix to get the bike licences back than the car one's. The FIA are having another look at the track today as Donington cancelled last weeks inspection, they are then going to get Tilke to have another look at what can be done to get the car licence back.
Old 14 Apr 2009, 16:12 (Ref:2440581)   #273
Peter Horsman
Racer

Peter Horsman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We know from the Abbey fiasco that the MSA will not grant a national car licence (sic) if the FIA refuse the international one (sic).

Unless of course, they decide to apply different principles.........

By the way, the F3/GT site has not said that Don at the end of April is off.
Old 14 Apr 2009, 16:28 (Ref:2440597)   #274
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
F3/GT meeting is postponed until July 18/19 according to SRO on the Autosport website.
Old 15 Apr 2009, 06:38 (Ref:2441028)   #275
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

AMOC looking to move May 5th meeting to Rockingham . Entrants asked if they agreed to move yesterday.