Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 1 Mar 2018, 08:45 (Ref:3804834)   #2901
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Good grief, of course you can! It’s a part, just like any other.

How do you think damaged road cars are re-shelled? Lol.
For most cars they are not just a single part though - they are a collection of parts installed at different stages along construction.

It may be possible to buy replacement parts separately though.

A road car damaged to the point of needing an entire re-shell would probably not be repaired.
Old 1 Mar 2018, 08:49 (Ref:3804835)   #2902
AdrianM
Racer

AdrianM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's no problem at all to buy a complete bodyshell from the major manufacturers. You can buy them primed with or without closures (doors, tailgate, bonnets) etc. You can also buy side panels, roof panels, floors etc etc.

Worked as panel beater for years.
Old 1 Mar 2018, 08:52 (Ref:3804836)   #2903
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
It's no problem at all to buy a complete bodyshell from the major manufacturers. You can buy them primed with or without closures (doors, tailgate, bonnets) etc. You can also buy side panels, roof panels, floors etc etc.

Worked as panel beater for years.
How much of a car is included in one bodyshell though.

If it's without closures, isn't it just a roof, pillar and rear arches?
Old 1 Mar 2018, 08:54 (Ref:3804837)   #2904
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User is flirting with disqualificationpeebee2 User is flirting with disqualification
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
A road car damaged to the point of needing an entire re-shell would probably not be repaired.
Jesus, look up Cat C. Now Cat S.
Old 1 Mar 2018, 08:56 (Ref:3804838)   #2905
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User is flirting with disqualificationpeebee2 User is flirting with disqualification
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
How much of a car is included in one bodyshell though.

If it's without closures, isn't it just a roof, pillar and rear arches?
Lol, what about the floorpan!! The most important part of any monocoque.
Old 1 Mar 2018, 08:57 (Ref:3804839)   #2906
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
And what does that tell me?

Cat C - 'They often have just superficial body damage.' - not a full re-shell.
Old 1 Mar 2018, 08:59 (Ref:3804840)   #2907
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The picture in this link it how they come from BMW

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=41_2206

It MAY be cheaper to buy a road car and sell bits but if you’re given a car/shell/discount off the production line, you’d be mad not to go for it.

I would say, if you’re in with a manufacturer, they’d give you the other panels in the deal...
Old 1 Mar 2018, 09:26 (Ref:3804844)   #2908
RS67
Veteran

RS67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
A category c shouldn't need a reshell.
Old 1 Mar 2018, 09:59 (Ref:3804852)   #2909
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
So it's gonna be hard to work out which 3 drivers Hollamby is thinking of, as they are multiple names that could fit the bill. Just hope he lets us know when
Old 1 Mar 2018, 10:07 (Ref:3804859)   #2910
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hopefully AWE is on this list and will get this seat.
Old 1 Mar 2018, 10:14 (Ref:3804861)   #2911
BobJones
Veteran

BobJones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
So it's gonna be hard to work out which 3 drivers Hollamby is thinking of, as they are multiple names that could fit the bill. Just hope he lets us know when
All three sound interest propositions. Maybe number 3 isn't so well known — as a previous forum poster has alluded to. 2 sounds like AWE, and there aren't many options for 1 — a race winner is a race winner, so will be good to secure that deal.
Old 1 Mar 2018, 11:08 (Ref:3804878)   #2912
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I would love it to be Jackson, I really think he can help take that MG forward and I think he will want to prove something this year now.
Unfortunately I dont think it will be, as im sure he will be out of the series, unless Motorbase sign AWE (who impressed them testing before)
Old 1 Mar 2018, 12:11 (Ref:3804889)   #2913
peebee2
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS67 View Post
A category c shouldn't need a reshell.
To be precise, it is the only UK category that would be re-shelled although most, of course, only need partial/re-jig.

Anyway, difficult to believe anybody would choose to start with a complete used car as I suspect it would cost more, and would be less stiff. Though I concede some manufacturers might not want to play ball as they dislike the silhouette, “hot rod” style of the current BTCC cars.
Old 1 Mar 2018, 13:01 (Ref:3804901)   #2914
Jiiiiiiim
Veteran

England
Devon
Jiiiiiiim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by btccbloke View Post
I would love it to be Jackson, I really think he can help take that MG forward and I think he will want to prove something this year now.
Unfortunately I dont think it will be, as im sure he will be out of the series, unless Motorbase sign AWE (who impressed them testing before)
Motorbase have their driver signed, so whoever is negotiating with AmD that’s their only BTCC option. AWE has ruled himself out of the Motorbase drive on social media, saying it’s definitely not him!
Old 1 Mar 2018, 13:05 (Ref:3804902)   #2915
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
So Motorbase have already got their driver, another one we have to wait and see for
Old 1 Mar 2018, 13:23 (Ref:3804905)   #2916
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiiiiiiim View Post
Motorbase have their driver signed, so whoever is negotiating with AmD that’s their only BTCC option. AWE has ruled himself out of the Motorbase drive on social media, saying it’s definitely not him!
do we know they have for sure? ive seen nothing confirming this
Old 1 Mar 2018, 13:34 (Ref:3804908)   #2917
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm really curious who's going to drive for Motorbase. I'd go for Rory Butcher or Martin Depper.
Old 1 Mar 2018, 13:47 (Ref:3804910)   #2918
Dudley
Veteran

Dudley has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by antnee View Post
I don't think you can phone up VW, Ford, Merc, etc and ask to buy a bodyshell.

Common situation is to buy flood damaged cars, as the shells are stripped to bare metal the flooding has no adverse effects. In fact, there was a Octavia VRS in an early build stage that was a flooded write-off, but the funding wasn't there to complete the build.
Was that the one Matt Hamilton was trying to get into the BTCC?
Old 1 Mar 2018, 13:53 (Ref:3804912)   #2919
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
Was that the one Matt Hamilton was trying to get into the BTCC?

Probably, can’t remember any other team trying to get the Octavia into the series
Old 1 Mar 2018, 14:08 (Ref:3804914)   #2920
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah it was Matt.
Old 1 Mar 2018, 14:28 (Ref:3804918)   #2921
RS67
Veteran

RS67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Anyway, difficult to believe anybody would choose to start with a complete used car as I suspect it would cost more, and would be less stiff.
It wouldn't matter if it was a bare shell supplied straight from the factory or a 2nd hand road car, there won't be any difference in stiffness. The shells would be identical.
Old 1 Mar 2018, 15:09 (Ref:3804930)   #2922
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The stiffness of a shell does go down over time, joints aren’t fully welded so you can get stress points around spot welds or bonded joins, just google E46 BMW boot floor...

Not too much of a problem as an NGTC build would involve seam welding the whole car anyway but there’s potentially more prep work in a 3 year old car than a new one.
Old 1 Mar 2018, 15:14 (Ref:3804931)   #2923
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by btccbloke View Post
do we know they have for sure? ive seen nothing confirming this
Yip. Announcement will be waiting to coincide with a sponsor announcement I would imagine...
Old 1 Mar 2018, 16:15 (Ref:3804943)   #2924
Matt K
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Yip. Announcement will be waiting to coincide with a sponsor announcement I would imagine...
Sponsor announcement? The second car will have Shredded Wheat as a primary sponsor, I doubt the driver announcement will be connected with sponsor announcement.
Old 1 Mar 2018, 16:20 (Ref:3804945)   #2925
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
not sure where you have got that info from.
But I can only assume it to be Mr Depper and the continued espares stickers on the cars