Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 20 Jan 2013, 12:56 (Ref:3191739)   #301
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Bend it Mend it!

Did anyone see this? David Piper suing Mark Hales for damage caused to his 917 engine.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...-explodes.html

Apparently Mark Hales lost and Internet tittle tattle reckons it cost £50k damages, £63k for Piper's cost, plus his own.

We've all been there haven't we? It's one of the hazards of sharing a car, but at least none of my cars or the cars I borrow are ever in the same financial ball park!
Old 20 Jan 2013, 13:08 (Ref:3191743)   #302
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Err,yes,we have.
Old 20 Jan 2013, 13:21 (Ref:3191749)   #303
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
We've all been there haven't we? It's one of the hazards of sharing a car, but at least none of my cars or the cars I borrow are ever in the same financial ball park!
I'm surprised they didn't have something in writing, as it was hardly a couple of mates doing a race together. The "you bend it, you mend it" philosophy is a simple but sound one- except when damage is caused by a mechanical failure. If I overdrive a mates car and put in the barrier, that's one thing. But if the suspension breaks due to old age or similar and I do the same thing, is it the same?

Old 20 Jan 2013, 15:29 (Ref:3191775)   #304
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Did anyone see this? David Piper suing Mark Hales for damage caused to his 917 engine.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...-explodes.html

Apparently Mark Hales lost and Internet tittle tattle reckons it cost £50k damages, £63k for Piper's cost, plus his own.

Oh dear how interesting. I have to say I have met both gentlemen David recently at Goodwood after last meeting him when I worked for Roger Nathan at Fortis Green Rd where David also had a workshop back in the late 60's. Mark by coincidence I also met at Goodwood when as chairman of the Racing Saloon Car Club the track was hired to do a track test on our Modified Production Saloons. Well I had better not say too much as this case is on going but suffice to say some of our guys were very unhappy the way their mounts were treated in the test, I will post more in detail once the case is over as not fair to give details online at this moment.
Old 20 Jan 2013, 15:31 (Ref:3191777)   #305
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
. If I overdrive a mates car and put in the barrier, that's one thing. But if the suspension breaks due to old age or similar and I do the same thing, is it the same?

Intersting scenario Mike and I know we have touched this before but what I want to know is if in the above circumstances you are seriously injured or even dead as a result of the crash is the car owner not left wide open for an ambulance chaser law suite for compensation especially if it was a failure but poor preparation.
Old 20 Jan 2013, 17:50 (Ref:3191801)   #306
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I have driven other peoples cars over the years but would never push their car as much as my own.
Obviously a tell tale on the rev counter is a must but saying all that it's a ba***rd if an "incident" is caused by another wayward car that causes you to crash.
That's when you find out if your mate really is your mate !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 20 Jan 2013, 21:14 (Ref:3191864)   #307
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
As regards David Piper I remember him loosing a leg in a crash during the filming of "Le Mans"
It was very unfortunate how it happened as it was in the aftermath of the crash, although he had a serious cut in his leg.it had unfortunately been infected with brake fluid and had to be amputated.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 20 Jan 2013, 22:00 (Ref:3191878)   #308
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Oh dear how interesting. I have to say I have met both gentlemen David recently at Goodwood after last meeting him when I worked for Roger Nathan at Fortis Green Rd where David also had a workshop back in the late 60's. Mark by coincidence I also met at Goodwood when as chairman of the Racing Saloon Car Club the track was hired to do a track test on our Modified Production Saloons. Well I had better not say too much as this case is on going but suffice to say some of our guys were very unhappy the way their mounts were treated in the test, I will post more in detail once the case is over as not fair to give details online at this moment.
Reminds me of the Top Gear/Adrian Hamilton C-Type scenario.
Old 20 Jan 2013, 22:46 (Ref:3191903)   #309
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicanary View Post
Reminds me of the Top Gear/Adrian Hamilton C-Type scenario.
Hit the Red button Man Dear and watch Sons and Daughters of Derry, Snow Patrol are on at the min.
Old 21 Jan 2013, 07:39 (Ref:3192028)   #310
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
As regards David Piper I remember him loosing a leg in a crash during the filming of "Le Mans"
It was very unfortunate how it happened as it was in the aftermath of the crash, although he had a serious cut in his leg.it had unfortunately been infected with brake fluid and had to be amputated.

And,with Davids permission,they left the crash sequence in. Steve McQueen ensured the David got the best possible medical attention in the best French Hospital.
Old 21 Jan 2013, 09:34 (Ref:3192075)   #311
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I let a journalist drive my car last year, it was only at the porsche experience place, so he harldy got the chance to get out of 3rd gear, I was riding as passenger. I would never let him race it, his driving was woefully unsympathetic, IMO typical of a driver of modern machines with no mechanical knowledge , constantly looking for a cars limit without any knowledge or experience of the cars or his own. I didn't feel 'unsafe' at the speeds, but feared for the cars mechanicals.

I've handed the car to a few pro's and thus far never had any problems. And have leant it to a friend and will share with another . . . you just need to gauge the individual as best you can.

I might also addits also very dependant on the spec of the car . . . . highly strung machines need treating accordingly . . . . hire cars should be prepared and tuned accordingly.
Old 21 Jan 2013, 09:48 (Ref:3192084)   #312
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Getting back to the weather, another 6" of the white stuff greeting Norfolk this morn. How did south east corner get on?

Last week it was Alpine snow and cold, and not difficult to drive or walk on. Today we are back to normal UK slush, which is a complete pain to move about in. Even managed to get car temporarily stuck at workshop- until realised was on lock when thought wheels were straight ahead! Need to get bit of tape at 12 o'clock on steering wheel, rally style......
Old 21 Jan 2013, 10:07 (Ref:3192094)   #313
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Getting back to the weather, another 6" of the white stuff greeting Norfolk this morn. How did south east corner get on?
Small and unscientific report from Surrey. About 4"/5" of snow - side roads have packed snow but seem passable with care - lots of 'home counties Chelsea Tractors' are about but most main roads seem clear.
I'm just about to clear the snow off the car and see how I get on. It will be the first time that I've driven this car on slippery roads - rear wheel drive, supercharged and automatic - not forgotten that I'm still recovering from my stroke, so not the best combination - wish me luck!
Old 21 Jan 2013, 10:44 (Ref:3192111)   #314
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Take it steady John! Did you see the Range Rover last week that slid and punted a Vectra or something over the edge! Safer in a 4x4......
Old 21 Jan 2013, 11:09 (Ref:3192119)   #315
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Take it steady John! Did you see the Range Rover last week that slid and punted a Vectra or something over the edge! Safer in a 4x4......
It happened in our TV area so it got loads of local coverage. I may have laughed....and laughed.....and laughed!!!!!!!!! I'm *so* fed up of people telling me they don't need skid control lessons because they've got 4WD/traction control/ESC whatever.
Old 21 Jan 2013, 11:26 (Ref:3192122)   #316
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Did you see the Range Rover last week that slid and punted a Vectra or something over the edge! Safer in a 4x4......
It depends on the tyres! Winter tyres on the BM and I've not had a problem yet.
Old 21 Jan 2013, 11:32 (Ref:3192126)   #317
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
It happened in our TV area so it got loads of local coverage. I may have laughed....and laughed.....and laughed!!!!!!!!! I'm *so* fed up of people telling me they don't need skid control lessons because they've got 4WD/traction control/ESC whatever.

It should be part of the driving test. Surprising the amount of scummie mummies driving their prince's/princess's about who haven't got a ****** clue on how to drive normally let alone in different conditions.
Old 21 Jan 2013, 12:03 (Ref:3192139)   #318
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
about 4" here, main roads are clear, minors and sides are good for drifting, we've been up on the southdowns in the legacy no problem, sledding and had plenty of snowball fights.

The chickens were a bit freaked out at first, and the pavements are a bit icy, but its business as usual
Old 21 Jan 2013, 12:19 (Ref:3192145)   #319
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Take it steady John!
I did Mike thank you. Despite my misgivings about the configuration of the car, it handled like a dream.
I will now do a 'bread and milk' run for the elderly (or should I say 'more elderly ) locals who don't fancy the conditions. They all think that I'm mad anyway!
Old 21 Jan 2013, 12:31 (Ref:3192152)   #320
midgetman
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
It depends on the tyres! Winter tyres on the BM and I've not had a problem yet.
Spot on. Perceived wisdom is that the purchase of "Winter" tyres is a better use of money on your base model car than buying the 4X4 version if there is one. Unfortunately, and I don't know if it has changed yet, there is documented evidence of one insurance company refusing to insure a car fitted with "Winter" tyres as they are a "modification". But I know the motoring organisations were on the case so maybe it's changed.
Old 21 Jan 2013, 12:51 (Ref:3192163)   #321
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Not had much time to post ATM.Still cycling to work its now 15 miles and takes me an hour and a half but one hour going home."down hill".Only went over once this morning on the ice.
Old 21 Jan 2013, 12:55 (Ref:3192165)   #322
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Forgot too say there was a sign out side the village hall this morning saying "over 60's dinner still on ". Hmmmm better not.Also we have had the first race of the year 10k run. Max beat me by 5sec's but I was 18th in the over 60 class.
Old 21 Jan 2013, 13:05 (Ref:3192169)   #323
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spent Saturday with one of my boys advising on the purchase of a new bike (doesn't seem that long ago I was taking them!), the old bike's cried enough. By the time we got home the snow had started so went out for a quick slither. By 8am Sunday when I normally go out with a couple of neighbours for an hour or two on the byways there was a healthy covering on the Downs so lit a fire, put the coffee on and only ventured out later to give the dog a run, not that he really wanted to. Perfect winter Sunday and no need to clean the bike.
Old 21 Jan 2013, 13:26 (Ref:3192180)   #324
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngee View Post
I did Mike thank you. Despite my misgivings about the configuration of the car, it handled like a dream.
I will now do a 'bread and milk' run for the elderly (or should I say 'more elderly ) locals who don't fancy the conditions. They all think that I'm mad anyway!

You could have referred them to us John,we could have put them straight.
Old 21 Jan 2013, 13:39 (Ref:3192188)   #325
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
You could have referred them to us John,we could have put them straight.
What? To destroy my reputation even further?
Closed Thread