Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 14 Apr 2009, 21:39 (Ref:2440839)   #301
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The point i'm making about the British guys not bothering with Europe is that 10+ years ago the likes of Gollop, Doran etc WERE competitive things have moved on and I don't think the level of drivers or equipment has in the UK. HR I was saying british championship as an example if it keeps you happy; or the open championship! I think an annual foray in to the ERC at Lydden will give us some idea as to where the UK/Irish guys are against the Europeans and at the moment its light years.
Old 14 Apr 2009, 22:21 (Ref:2440872)   #302
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I've got nothing but praise for the British and Irish guys that put effort into the ERC and often the BRC, too!
They all have just as good equipment - check out the pits, big transporters with tons of spares. I've said many times before that I reckon Evans's Astra is one of the best prepped cars in the paddock, it always looks amazing.
No kidding getting into an A-final is tough - that's the whole point!
Old 14 Apr 2009, 23:18 (Ref:2440904)   #303
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Western Lower Rhine area of Germany
rx-guru should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eye View Post
Ad 1900 to that Guru. The spectator record at Höljes is 23,400
A 'lapsus memoriae', I’m sorry!

Yep, the old record was 21,500 and the new is 23,400. Wrote it myself in July 2008 in this story: http://www.motorsport-aktuell.com/artikel_5022.html
Old 14 Apr 2009, 23:45 (Ref:2440917)   #304
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
I couldn't disagree with the preparation level I just think that we had the fastest British/Irish driver Chris Evans making a welcome return to Lydden but couldn't make the B final. I just don't think he had a fastest enough car under him or perhaps was not in the same league of driving as the Euro guys or his peers who have gone before him in years gone by ie Gollop, Doran etc in their prime. Maybe both i'm not purposely being controversial but i've followed rallycross attending meetings, watching it on TV and reading the press for about 25 years so as a knowledgable spectator I think it carries some weight.
Old 15 Apr 2009, 08:30 (Ref:2441101)   #305
pgrogan
Racer

Ireland
Kildare
pgrogan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
a big round of applause to the Doran family for a fantastic weekend. Lydden certainly had everything spot on from the facilities for competitors and spectators alike.

hats off to them for doing it all in such a short space of time.
Old 15 Apr 2009, 09:33 (Ref:2441155)   #306
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze View Post
Maybe it's just me....but I don't see a problem with cars being parked at the bottom of the Dover Slope [we parked at the top in an attempt to get out quicker!] but I do see an issue with the transit, for example, that was parked side on. If you don't like the cars that were parked at the bottom, what about those people that cable tied / padlocked etc their chairs to the fences? Is that not the same, or at least very similar? We didn't do either, and just chose to get there for when gates opened yesterday, but I don't see an issue with parking at the bottom of the slope - but as I said, parking a transit side on for example, is taking the p a bit.
Hear, hear. I don't even have a major issue with people roping off a little area, but round by the start line there were two Gazebos (both roped off) with nowhere near as many chairs or people under them as the space they were taking up and, next to them, a number of chair with beach style screens behind them. So if you stood behind them you could see nothing.

I appreciate that if you get there early you can nab a spot next to the fence; but I don't think getting there early entitles you to then block off the view of everyone behind you.

Oh, and if the Transit being mentioned in the conversation is the same as the one I've seen mentioned on another forum, it appears to have been occupied by a group of proper c*cks!
Old 15 Apr 2009, 10:28 (Ref:2441210)   #307
Jennifer_ni
Clears incidents with the POWER OF HER MIND!
Racer

Ireland
Co-Kildare
Jennifer_ni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJennifer_ni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fantastic weekend, well worth the trip over!! Atmosphere wasnt as good as the one in holland last year and the prize giving and no podium celebration was a bit disapointing but all in all well done to the Dorans!! Pity George Traceys car had to give up just before the finals it would have been intersting to see just how far he could have gone as he was flying in my opinion!!
Old 15 Apr 2009, 10:35 (Ref:2441212)   #308
PhergAthor
Racer

Belgium
Maasmechelen, Belgium
PhergAthor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundersports View Post
I couldn't disagree with the preparation level I just think that we had the fastest British/Irish driver Chris Evans making a welcome return to Lydden but couldn't make the B final. I just don't think he had a fastest enough car under him or perhaps was not in the same league of driving as the Euro guys or his peers who have gone before him in years gone by ie Gollop, Doran etc in their prime. Maybe both i'm not purposely being controversial but i've followed rallycross attending meetings, watching it on TV and reading the press for about 25 years so as a knowledgable spectator I think it carries some weight.
Did you, as a knowledgeble spectator, also know that he had major engine troubles before the event and that his team did a tremendous job on saterday night putting in the old engine so he could even start the event?
Old 15 Apr 2009, 10:38 (Ref:2441213)   #309
Cal Naughton Jr
Rookie

Cal Naughton Jr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundersports View Post
Thundersports, the difference in cars you are spot on with, And very true the Top ERC drivers are in a different class, the reason! that is there job!! they test constantly and are developing there car all the time.

I for one and i know is the same for nearly all the other drivers have a day job, that pays for my racing and if i am not there i cant go racing at the weekend for you to watch!.

My car is based on a Grp N rally car and it was my standard road car shafts that snapped in the third heat putting me out from getting in the C final, now for the good bit, I feel and would think that most others on hear would agree that your 25 years as a spectator means F All for you to be able coment on any drivers ability.

I hope every one else who is not moaning enjoyed the weekend as much as me

David Binks
Old 15 Apr 2009, 10:45 (Ref:2441218)   #310
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Smeets View Post
For those at home... on my website some pics from today.
Just had a look,great pics! Cheers
Old 15 Apr 2009, 10:47 (Ref:2441219)   #311
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
I think the difference between the British/Irish drivers and their continental counterparts wasn't all that big to be honest. Sure the absolute top guys were ahead but the British and Irish by no means disgraced themselves - I thought they all put in good performances throughout the two days, nobody looked out of their depth.

I've no doubt that given the budgets of some of the other drivers there would be British or Irish drivers on the top of the podium within a couple of years. It takes time to adapt to different regs, tyres, event structure, joker lap etc etc, people like Hansen have been doing that for years, the Brits and Irish have been dipping in and out on a fairly infrequent basis over the past few years - give them a chance to close the gap.

I'm just looking forward to them all coming back for another go next year
Old 15 Apr 2009, 12:18 (Ref:2441302)   #312
rallyxdamo
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
rallyxdamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Naughton Jr View Post
Thundersports, the difference in cars you are spot on with, And very true the Top ERC drivers are in a different class, the reason! that is there job!! they test constantly and are developing there car all the time.

I for one and i know is the same for nearly all the other drivers have a day job, that pays for my racing and if i am not there i cant go racing at the weekend for you to watch!.

My car is based on a Grp N rally car and it was my standard road car shafts that snapped in the third heat putting me out from getting in the C final, now for the good bit, I feel and would think that most others on hear would agree that your 25 years as a spectator means F All for you to be able coment on any drivers ability.

David Binks
I fully agree with you David. The weekend was great and even better with some familiar faces there too.Fair play too the likes of yourself and the other local lads for giving it a go. It was well worth the trip over from Ireland. Also well done to the Dorans for a great show.

One last thing.
It just pi---s me off when people on here slagg off the people who put on the show for us.
Old 15 Apr 2009, 12:53 (Ref:2441336)   #313
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
I appear to have opened a can of worms here. Just to clarify a couple of points that have been made; at no time have I or would I criticise or knock the efforts of any of the UK/Irish competitors I really appreciate the effort and the show that is put on, I have merely called it as I saw it through my eyes. We were desperate for the "home" drivers to do well! In my line of work I have helped a former supercar driver with various bits and pieces for the cars he had built, in a personal effort to try and help out.
It was a very enjoyable day and as I have stated before the effort and work the Dorans etc put in was fantastic. Thanks for the insight David.
Old 15 Apr 2009, 13:00 (Ref:2441342)   #314
winnie
Racer

winnie has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Best rallycross meeting in uk for years.

Thought the changes to chessons gave only one line down the back straight and no chance to overtake. The old bend back onto the tarmac was brilliant and showed the men from the boys. It also gave loads of over-taking chances at devils elbow.

I liked the joker lap as it often made a race until the final corner. and i think it would have been a pretty boring meeting without it. With cars starting in a line it is normally the fastest car that reaches the first bend in the lead - obviously the cars behind are slower and will never be able to overtake. If you have a 2 x 2 grid start you will sometimes have the fastest cars at the back, which makes for better racing as they work there way to the front.

Agree with the parking on dover slope. I parked on the exit of chessons but left about 10 feet in front for other spectators and us to watch from. Another fence would sort it out. Think all gazebos and any deckchairs left overnight should have been removed. If i pay for admission i should be able to watch from anywhere. No different to the germans leaving towels on the sunbeds.

I really liked Div 1a and 2. I think it will really suit the british modified racers as we love modified cars. Both classes are very similar to the old modified B and modifed C classes but with a weight limit to keep costs down. I can see this replacing the current supernational / modifled class.

Loads of people camped at the track including me - thought this was not allowed. Very very quiet evening. Remember the last ERC at Lydden when most of the teams were on the **** in the marquee - this year no-one.

The Div1 cars sounded absolute crap - like a group N rally car. Really really miss the sound of 6r4's quattros, 911's, zakspeeds, bda's etc, and have to say the modern cars are all too similar and too good.

Hats of the the Dorans - very impreseed with the changes. Any-one moaning about the reduced visability is a prick. Lydden is the most spectator friendly circuit in the UK. If you couldn'd find a decent place to watch from then get up earlier.

Even though they moved the fence back on dover slope, i got hit by a stone and a lad near me had to have medical treatment due to being hit on the head. Would hate to see a high level fence all around.

Can't wait til next year and please please bring back the Brands gp in December.
Old 15 Apr 2009, 13:36 (Ref:2441372)   #315
Minicross424
Veteran

United Kingdom
Ashford Kent
Minicross424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brands gp is dead and buried, get over it.
Old 15 Apr 2009, 14:41 (Ref:2441412)   #316
King Arthur
Racer

Scotland
North of Brighton
King Arthur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dear All

Firstly lets us remember Terry Briggs who unfortunately passed away on the night after what has to be an icon in the world of UK Rallycross.

I hope this is the right forum to post this on but I feel that I need at long last to post.

To those who want to moan about the event. I understand some people do not like change but hay that is the world we live in. I was recently told by a senior person in Sony - it will get faster - live with it, ride it, use it or it will overcome you. I also publically put out an invitation to all of the moaners to join the (my) team and come and influence the way forward. You really are welcome, if you are prepared to put in the time and effort.

More importantly let us look at the possitive

Wow - WHAT AN EVENT

To my team - how you achieved what you did in the timeframe is nothing short of miraculous.

Some of you will have heard my words over the radio at the end of the event and I apologise if this is not word perfect.

"Today all of you have contributed and been part of something truly exceptional. On Guy Fawkes day 2008 we were informed we had been given the first round of the 2009 FIA European Championship for Drivers. I have been involved in motorsport for more than 30 years and have never been emotional about an event. Today I am. We have learnt a lot, we have had superb support from the MSA and from our many friends in the European world of Rallycross and to all of them - my sincere thanks.

As you go home tonight, please drive safely and put this in your head and your heart -

Oh my god we did it - we jolly well did it."

Thank you all

Tony Watts
Clerk of the Course
Old 15 Apr 2009, 14:44 (Ref:2441416)   #317
schanche
Veteran

England
5OUTH E4ST
schanche should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

David Binks[/QUOTE

Im glad David has posted on here good to get a Division 1 Car Driver expressing his opionions maybe other members can read and take note.I for one wish to thank you and the other drivers who represented there country at this event It is much appreciated and from what I saw at times the Mitzi was performing well.I can only imagine what it must be like sitting on the form up grid for Practice with all the other stars of the ERC around you and even on the start line waiting to go in the heats! if it was me i would still be sitting there on the grid just amazed at who i had around me lol watching the others pull away in a daze But then I guess thats why i am a supporter and not a competitor...
Old 15 Apr 2009, 14:46 (Ref:2441418)   #318
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minicross424 View Post
Brands gp is dead and buried, get over it.
Thats a brutally blunt reply... but sadly very true.

Anyway, for those of you who missed the racing, here's some videos! Apologies for the quality; as I said in an earlier post my preferred vantage (and videoing) point was restricted by gazebo's and beach screens (this is not a dig at the organisers - just at the selfish owners of said obstructions). Still I got most of the racing on camera, so you can get a feel for whats going on!

Division 1 - "A" Final:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqk4eKTcra0

Division 1 - "B" Final:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqk4eKTcra0

Division 1 - "C" Final:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_DL4rW0rUw

I'm sure you can select a high quality option through the above links but, if you can't, you can find high quality versions (and other motorsport stuff) on my You Tube account:

http://www.youtube.com/user/tbtstt

Oh, and despite my gripes with one or two folks in the crowd, I can't believe anyone would have the cheek to criticise the organisers after the time and money they have poured into Lydden. Please keep it up - (most) of the fans appreciate it!

Last edited by tbtstt; 15 Apr 2009 at 14:49. Reason: Link not working - sorted!
Old 15 Apr 2009, 15:30 (Ref:2441463)   #319
mel tyres
Racer

Wales
gods country Wales
mel tyres should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
onwards upwards

Can we now concentrate on the Kumho Tyres BRITISH RALLYCROSS CHAMPIONSHIPS . And bring the Rx GP to Lydden
Old 15 Apr 2009, 16:03 (Ref:2441496)   #320
Elio
Veteran

Elio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
To those who want to moan about the event.
Are certain posters really moaning that much about THE EVENT, or moaning about the consequences of what accomodating the event appears to be having on spectating at future, non-ERC Lydden events??

It`s almost as if some people aren`t actually reading the posts carefully enough, or thinking about what is being said in them.......
Old 15 Apr 2009, 16:15 (Ref:2441511)   #321
pgrogan
Racer

Ireland
Kildare
pgrogan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel tyres View Post
Can we now concentrate on the Kumho Tyres BRITISH RALLYCROSS CHAMPIONSHIPS . And bring the Rx GP to Lydden
YES.............. IN ANOTHER THREAD!
Old 15 Apr 2009, 17:45 (Ref:2441584)   #322
Barrie
Veteran

England
Colchester Essex
Barrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shame Ollie didn t get the chance to get out there in the Saab, sure he would have done ok, good to see the Lydden organisers got good use out of him, multi tasking between a JCB to a Helicopter.
Old 15 Apr 2009, 18:07 (Ref:2441605)   #323
jonbryant
Veteran

England
Horsham, West Sussex
jonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wondered who was in the helicopter!

Sunday's shots are online from me on http://www.snappyracers.com/album/120409Lydden/ for a chuckle
Old 15 Apr 2009, 18:25 (Ref:2441624)   #324
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie View Post
Loads of people camped at the track including me - thought this was not allowed. Very very quiet evening. Remember the last ERC at Lydden when most of the teams were on the **** in the marquee - this year no-one.
I believe originally this wasn't allowed, but they were then granted a license to allow camping.
Old 15 Apr 2009, 18:43 (Ref:2441641)   #325
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbryant View Post
Sunday's shots are online from me on http://www.snappyracers.com/album/120409Lydden/ for a chuckle
Fantastic photography as always Jon