Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 9 Jul 2016, 13:19 (Ref:3657800)   #3476
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
Not the first time Mr. Dagys and Mr. Pruett have had conflicting reports. Although I does not happen much. It does tend to spur more debate out of it. I hope some of you fans took advantage of the timing and geography and have been able to go to both races at the Glen and CTMP. Someone who lives between between Niagara Falls and Hamilton, ON if they are a racing fan has a nice balanced trip with equal drive time in each direct maybe?
MP has been right every single time they've had conflicted reports. I don't expect this to be any different. Why would the Mercedes MFG rep confirm anything if they're in the process of figuring it out?

The fact we've got a direct quote from Troy Flis in MP's article, regarding talks with Mercedes about a potential project, means more than the MFG Rep dancing around the issue.

Also, if I could take the time off from work I'd absolutely would have gone from WGI up to Mosport on a two week vacation.
Old 9 Jul 2016, 15:44 (Ref:3657822)   #3477
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephaeton View Post
Ouch, Marshall...
Hmm, and yet this morning Hindy expressly stated that he talked to at least 3 teams that had discussions with Jaeger about an AMG DPi there at Mosport (CTMP).

L.P.
Old 9 Jul 2016, 16:13 (Ref:3657826)   #3478
Ephaeton
Veteran

Austria
Between Österreichring and Nordschleife
Ephaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Of course we can end up with a(nother) "Ouch, Dagys" as well, but IMO his quotes were stronger. MP has a team owner saying, sure, we'd like to get them to do this while JD has the official rep singing a different song. I don't care who of them is wrong, really, I'd just like them to sort out their credibility.
Old 9 Jul 2016, 16:15 (Ref:3657827)   #3479
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Since when will an official rep say anything when the manufacture themselves haven't formally announced it, even if they knew it was happening.

It's along the same lines as FormulaFox always talking about nothing because of his "NDA."

If there's an NDA until official announcement from AMG, the rep will deny it.
Old 9 Jul 2016, 16:24 (Ref:3657829)   #3480
Ephaeton
Veteran

Austria
Between Österreichring and Nordschleife
Ephaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You got a point there, thanks for pointing that out, Matt, even though it didn't necessitate a spike towards FF.
Old 9 Jul 2016, 16:25 (Ref:3657830)   #3481
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephaeton View Post
Of course we can end up with a(nother) "Ouch, Dagys" as well, but IMO his quotes were stronger. MP has a team owner saying, sure, we'd like to get them to do this while JD has the official rep singing a different song. I don't care who of them is wrong, really, I'd just like them to sort out their credibility.
And yet from the JD piece Jaeger is hedging even... “It’s not decided yet, to be honest."
It is not a different song, it is a different spin!
Of course it is not decided yet, they have to explore the market. Which is exactly what is being done!

L.P.
Old 9 Jul 2016, 16:29 (Ref:3657831)   #3482
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Conflicting reports have nothing to do with the credibility of the reporters, so long as the reporters are clear about their sources.

I don't think either party is inventing interviews.

As other have said, the AMG PR guy would deny tomorrow's sunrise if AMG hadn't confirmed it.

Possibly AMG-Mercedes are involved in convoluted give-and-take discussions where AMG wants a break because they not officially Mercedes, or AMG wants a special deal because it could be bringing a few (much needed) DPi teams as well as a couple (less needed) GTD teams ....

Maybe the whole conversation is being conducted by third-tier staffers stating repeatedly "None of this is official, but ... " to see if a six-way deal between some potential DPi teams, a couple GTD squads, and the series can be worked to mutual advantage, and then announcements can be crafted by all parties which make it look like each party came out way ahead while also praising all the other parties ....

But if only one potential DPi team is willing to commit, the series might pull back, or AMG might decide it wouldn't make enough money selling cars and parts to cover the fees .... and no one wants to announce a deal and then announce failure.

Just the usual PR game.

Marshall Pruett and John Daguys are both good reporters. John loves to ferret out the scoops, the potential deals, the stuff that is still in the planning stages, while Marshall exhaustively reports the stuff which is a litter more firmed up, but neither is reckless or dishonest.
Old 9 Jul 2016, 17:17 (Ref:3657835)   #3483
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Well as you might agree it would stink if either Johnny D or Marshall went away. Also the S365 podcast show which started earlier this year is very good as well. Obviously no need to talk about how great Midweek motosport is.

Also give some love to the SCUnleashed folks. They have taken a hit this year with Tommy leaving and Chad getting cancer although he has tried to keep up with things as best as possible through that. They have only had a couple podcasts this year when they used to be weekly. I think they got one out on June 29 so hopefully they can get a new one in there to review W Glen and CTMP.

NAsportscar is cool too with great statistical analysis. I liked there power rankings articles but i have not seen one recently. After CTMP would be a good time to update that.
Old 10 Jul 2016, 07:39 (Ref:3657933)   #3484
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
a GTD car would be geat, a DPi would be a needed boost, but a GTE car would be amazing and something we all want the most. Maybe Riley will build one for AMG someday.
Old 11 Jul 2016, 04:53 (Ref:3658225)   #3485
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
I wonder if it would be possible to make the entry fee for manufacturers into gtd be that the manufacturer had to produce at least one dpi car for sale and provide parts for it, rather than some monetary fee?
Old 11 Jul 2016, 08:46 (Ref:3658247)   #3486
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
I wonder if it would be possible to make the entry fee for manufacturers into gtd be that the manufacturer had to produce at least one dpi car for sale and provide parts for it, rather than some monetary fee?
The R&D needed to make the DPi competitive would likely cost more than the entry fee.

Forcing manufacturers to enter another class just to participate in the one they wish to is a terrible idea.
Old 11 Jul 2016, 11:17 (Ref:3658267)   #3487
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Another issue would be----who would run this new DPi? There are only so many teams, and most of them will either go with Cadillac, Mazda, or an LMP2.

Another issue is economies of scale. Producing cars for a couple teams and then parts and spares, etc. is a lot more cost-effective than producing a one-off which no one might end up using.
Old 11 Jul 2016, 11:34 (Ref:3658274)   #3488
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Another issue would be----who would run this new DPi? There are only so many teams, and most of them will either go with Cadillac, Mazda, or an LMP2.

Another issue is economies of scale. Producing cars for a couple teams and then parts and spares, etc. is a lot more cost-effective than producing a one-off which no one might end up using.
This really is a big issue, where will new prototype teams come from to expand the grid? Will it be PC teams stepping up? Will it be open real teams crossing over? Will it be GT teams stepping up? The DPI formula may end up being popular and well-liked but it still needs help attracting additional teams
Old 11 Jul 2016, 12:45 (Ref:3658299)   #3489
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post

I'm sure it's not realistic, but my thinking is that it wouldn't matter if anyone ran it. The manufacturer would just have to have one made available to use. That would be the entry fee into gtd rather than just a payment to the series.

And kind of in the same realm of indycar, where it's just a few panels of body kit that are different from Chevy and honda, a manufacturer could just fit their engine and design some bodywork to fit onto a chassis and call it a day. They don't even really have to make sure the bodywork is aero efficient, since it'll all be bop'd anyway. So just make their engine fit a chassis and some bodywork to identify it as the payment for racing in gtd instead of just paying off the series.
Old 11 Jul 2016, 18:42 (Ref:3658363)   #3490
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Spirit of Daytona/Visit Florida Racing have apparently finalized their 2017 DPI plans, with an announcement possibly to come as soon as later this week.
Old 12 Jul 2016, 06:52 (Ref:3658472)   #3491
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wish Spirit of Daytona/Visit Florida Racing will partner up with Cadillac since they're in good terms with GM and their current Corvette DP program.
Old 12 Jul 2016, 12:13 (Ref:3658514)   #3492
DeezPutz
Racer

DeezPutz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDeezPutz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pruett has the correct info on the Mercedes thing. The rep just isn't allowed to speak publicly.

Additional entries will come with adding Pro/Am to the P class.
Old 12 Jul 2016, 12:16 (Ref:3658515)   #3493
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
@DeezPutz
First off, IMSA must get rid of the PC class. Second, tell the teams to use the generic LMP2 cars to compete in the Pro/Am sub-class.

Then again, that won't work!
Old 12 Jul 2016, 12:36 (Ref:3658517)   #3494
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagVanisher View Post
I wish Spirit of Daytona/Visit Florida Racing will partner up with Cadillac since they're in good terms with GM and their current Corvette DP program.
Mazda.
Old 12 Jul 2016, 13:26 (Ref:3658526)   #3495
MagVanisher
Veteran

Are you sure it's Mazda 'cause they're committed with the Speedsource team.
Old 12 Jul 2016, 15:19 (Ref:3658542)   #3496
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Additional car.
Old 13 Jul 2016, 14:07 (Ref:3658680)   #3497
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
USCC in 2016 and 2017

So realistically we are looking at 6 very likely DPi's spread across Mazda and Cadillac.

If we are lucky the Panoz will happen to give us 7.

That leaves MSR, anyone know what they are doing? Other than testing the HPD 004

I guess ESM will do the enduros only again, if so using their Ligier.

Greaves looking at a programme, they have good links with Nissan but I assume we will see a enduro run with an LMP2 for them.

Also Rebellion said they are looking at a DPi programme along side the LMP1p cars. Rumour of being a Bentley job but that also has been denied by the mfg.

There's the AMG thing but I don't know where that ties in in terms of Teams?

Am I missing anyone???

- Speedsource - Mazda Riley DPi

- Speedsource - Mazda Riley DPi

- Spirit of Daytona / Visit Florida Racing - Mazda Riley DPi or Cadillac Dallara DPi

- Action Express - Cadillac Dallara DPi

- Action Express - Cadillac Dallara DPi

- Wayne Taylor Racing - Cadillac Dallara DPi

- Panoz Racing - Panoz Riley/Dallara DPi (?)

- Michael Shank Racing - Ligier JS P2 Honda or HPD 004 (?)

- Tequila Patron ESM - Ligier JS P2 Honda (?)

- Greaves Entry - Likely an LMP2, Nissan link but unlikely (?)

- Rebellion - Possibly a Bentley DPi (?)
Old 13 Jul 2016, 16:28 (Ref:3658696)   #3498
Aces
Rookie

United States
Aces should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm pretty sure Starworks will be there with a Riley Gibson
Old 13 Jul 2016, 16:47 (Ref:3658702)   #3499
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
ESM will have a new car.
Old 13 Jul 2016, 18:25 (Ref:3658720)   #3500
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbsmith View Post
ESM will have a new car.

Yeah, wonder whether they will take the new Ligier so they can run in WEC also, or return to IMSA full time.

They are the go to guys if Honda decide to go for a DPi but I read that Honda might be looking at 2018 so they can focus on the NSX in 2017

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk