Old 8 Jul 2011, 20:35 (Ref:2923917)   #401
FRENCHIE44T
Racer

England
High Wycombe, BUCKS
FRENCHIE44T should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelagh View Post
Not sure who might be reading this on Friday evening - but whoever you are, I hope you have dried out.

Although I am jealous that I'm not there (didn't volunteer), it may not come as a surprise to discover that I'm actually very glad I was watching today on red button!

Well done for clearing Kobyashi's car so quickly. Just wish you guys/gals had had more out in the second session.

PieLady
If you were there with us you'd need Water Wings today. But lets hope it gets better. Well it cant get much worse can it? CAN IT?????
Old 8 Jul 2011, 20:37 (Ref:2923920)   #402
FRENCHIE44T
Racer

England
High Wycombe, BUCKS
FRENCHIE44T should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hepatic View Post
that has another knock on effect too - less traffic in both the toilets and showers. good for all concerned i hope, apparently more people are needed this year so i guess they ran out of room for us all in one field. should be leaving in about an hour, looking forward to it

DRS zone has been confirmed as ONE only - Wellington Straight with activation at Village.
I just wish they would re-fill the water bowser on a regular basis. Nothing in it this morning.
Old 8 Jul 2011, 20:43 (Ref:2923926)   #403
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Well done for clearing Kobyashi's car so quickly. Just wish you guys/gals had had more out in the second session.PieLady
Almost managed to stick my yellow light on before it stopped. I've said it to her already, but I'll say it again here, thanks to Mandy for sticking the green on and helping me spot it

The second session was surprisingly entertaining once they came out - just a little bit of schadenfreude at seeing drivers on multi-million pound salaries barely able to control their car around corners.

All in all, a case of so far so good. I don't even mind the weather too much, as we get the aforementioned entertainment.
Old 9 Jul 2011, 19:20 (Ref:2924264)   #404
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just a warning for anybody here, who happens to read this. A few people have said their tents have been gone through today, and somebody even had someone try to get in his tent at 2am while he was in it.

Lock yer stuff up
Old 10 Jul 2011, 07:58 (Ref:2924425)   #405
Postie
Rookie

Wales
Leicester
Postie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A
Old 11 Jul 2011, 14:21 (Ref:2925085)   #406
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
didn't get asked for my wristband once on way in to campsite. saw speccies obviously lost and looking for a general carpark, so it doesn't surprise me some tents were ransacked, again :/

there are many things to complain at about the F1 experience, but that pails in to insignificance when you get so many like minded people in a field and play motorsport. if i compared the track action with any other event i'd say it was the worst meeting of the year, but what happens off track, the people you meet and work with, nothing can compare with it. yet again i worked with a complete bunch of strangers and yet again we had an utter blast. from rain, floods to bright, hot sunshine we kept laughing and joking the whole way.

special thanks to Paul, Glyn & Mike for feeding us too. its always great to get everyone together like that and it makes surviving the weekend just that little bit easier. think about 3/4 of all Oulton/Anglesey marshals were there this year, felt like we were taking the place over! Chomondeley has a lot to live up to if this weekend is going to be as satisfying as this one was.
Old 11 Jul 2011, 14:24 (Ref:2925087)   #407
haystacks
Veteran

England
Sittingbourne Kent
haystacks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If they had went into my tent thet would think somebody had already turned it over and leave!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just got back and all dried out very enjoyable, glad i stayed till monday because of the traffic jam.Why did they let the speccy car park empty into winterhills lane, when it could have easilly have gone out via gate 7 entrance and made egress for marshals easier???
Old 11 Jul 2011, 15:08 (Ref:2925111)   #408
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Steve your right!

I wasn't once asked for mine either. I know some would see it as a pain haveing to show them every time, but its a small price to pay for a secure campsite.

Again too - probably one of the worst weekends racing wise possible (those GP3's sound awful) and don't get me started on the safety car demo, but I had a great (but tiring) weekend. Thanks to all on post at Copse - hope the cake went down well. Was also great to catch up with peeps from other parts of the country I've not seen for a bit - especially the Oulton and Anglesey lot - your right you were all taking over the place

The party was great on Saturday night as per usual, although I have to say the Grand Prix party on Sunday wasn't all that great. Far too much Tony Jardine interviewing drivers and not enough music. The band were quite good,but I think in the end only played about 10 songs and didn't really get going until almost 7pm! If the idea was to try and stagger the spectators leaving it didn't work. It took far too long to get going - most people had left becuase it was starting to get cold by that point.

We left about half 7 and didn't have any traffic trouble what so ever. Felt a bit sorry for those who were rapidly hooking up vans as I walked back (I got back early as it was only a short walk from Copse) only to sit in the traffic for ages. Also felt sorry for the rescue unit that was trying to get in but couldn't because those trying to get out had blocked the way.
Old 11 Jul 2011, 15:42 (Ref:2925120)   #409
Terrible-Tones
Veteran

Wales
Thrapston - Northants
Terrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTerrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Well done for clearing Kobyashi's car so quickly. PieLady
Thanks Most certainly woke us up....
Old 11 Jul 2011, 15:54 (Ref:2925129)   #410
Tazman
Rookie

United Kingdom
Dorset, UK
Tazman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Club Corner Crew

Home at last, a long hot soak in the bath never felt so good

Just wanted to say a big thanks to all on Club for making it such an enjoyable weekend

For those of a hardy disposition a team photo can be found here http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...9&l=b57f6631ba

Chris
Old 11 Jul 2011, 18:33 (Ref:2925196)   #411
recycleman
Rookie

England
Manchester
recycleman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks to all the guys and girls who made it a pleasure to be on post at Hangar 1
Old 11 Jul 2011, 19:11 (Ref:2925220)   #412
snetterton madness
Rookie

England
Norwich
snetterton madness should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A big thank you to everyone along Woodcote pit wall and the pit marshalls for making it an enjoyable weekend.
Old 11 Jul 2011, 19:25 (Ref:2925236)   #413
dinskip
Rookie

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
dinskip should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would like to add my thanks to that of recycleman. Was a pleasure working with the guys and girls on Hangar 1. By the way, I didn't get a chance to give my email address to the guys that took the group picture at the end of the weekend, so if its out there somewhere, please let me know.
Old 11 Jul 2011, 20:04 (Ref:2925259)   #414
Alan Green
Veteran

England
Doncaster
Alan Green should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks everyone on FP6 Village (and briefly FP9 Aintree) for a cracking weekend. Great post with cars all around you, very interesting for the starts, good blue flagging spot too. Bit of a concern with the pit exit, as some of the cars dawdling out of the pits on Fri & Sat Practices end up smack in line for the cars at full chat through Farm and needing to jink right to avoid them, will end up with a biggie there at some point.
Old 11 Jul 2011, 20:24 (Ref:2925270)   #415
alexhall
Racer

England
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
alexhall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Had a great second GP weekend, only complaint (other than the SC demo on Sat) is echoing what others have said - campsite security wasn't so good. Seemed to be a rather large number of noisy, drunken, tracksuit wearing undesirables hanging round in various parts of the campsite too - reminded me of a town centre late at night. Some had marshals guest passes on, so sorry if they are your children, others had bright pink ones on - how they got through the gate is a mystery!
Old 11 Jul 2011, 20:46 (Ref:2925280)   #416
Firefox
Rookie

England
kilton meynes
Firefox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks to all of the flag marshals and FIA light operators for your sterling work over the weekend, it was great to meet you all while issuing the radios. Despite the problems with the headsets every body displayed remarkable patience throughout the meeting. With the delay in clearing the camp site it was good to have the chance to have an extended chat with some of you. I hope to see some of you at Silverstone or Mallory Park before 15 July 2012, if not have a safe year and I hope you enjoy some great racing where ever you marshal.

PS
Stephen I hope the navigator stayed awake and you found your way back through Buckingham etc.
Ian
Old 11 Jul 2011, 21:27 (Ref:2925311)   #417
Roger Lovelock
Racer

England
Malmesbury, Wiltshire.
Roger Lovelock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Thanks to all on Post 6 - Village for a job well done and for a great weekend. And if I did not thank you when we left post on Sunday after the GP thank you for your efforts over the weekend.
Old 11 Jul 2011, 21:50 (Ref:2925319)   #418
Nadine J Lewis
Veteran

England
Hartford, Northwich
Nadine J Lewis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazman View Post
Home at last, a long hot soak in the bath never felt so good

Just wanted to say a big thanks to all on Club for making it such an enjoyable weekend

For those of a hardy disposition a team photo can be found here http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...9&l=b57f6631ba

Chris
Ditto - we looked quite good for that early in the morning!
Old 12 Jul 2011, 06:23 (Ref:2925385)   #419
pauln
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
pauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The birght pink ones were "Campsite only" passes for marshal's friends/family who weren't the one person with a guest pass, so everybody wearing one had been vouched for by a marshal.
Old 12 Jul 2011, 08:31 (Ref:2925419)   #420
RNHodge
Rookie

United Kingdom
Never on dry land
RNHodge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You all did a good job at the weekend from a spectator point of view. Well done braving the monsoon on friday, and clearing Kobycrashi's car off the pit lane quickly. Seeing it dig in and then airborne heading left made even my heart skip a beat!!

I've heard a few people mention the SC Demo on the Sat, what actually happened? I missed it!

Oh, and the guy on sunday during the GP2 (or GP3, cant remember!) who grew legs like usain bolt to spring to the top of village while the circuit was live to get a piece of bodywork did a bleedy good job!!
Old 12 Jul 2011, 08:34 (Ref:2925420)   #421
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What a weekend! The new pitlane set up worked remarkably well with very few problems. Thanks to the Silverstone and IMSA guys who ensured the office was converted from a building site at the 11th hour, it was very much appreciated.

Huge thanks and well dones to the pit marshals who worked incredibly hard all weekend, we had very few gaps to take breaks in but you all got on with it and made sure everything was done. It was always going to be a year to "suck it and see" what is needed for the new set up and it is clear that we need more marshals in the f1 pits so that we can rotate some stand down time. Thanks to everyone for keeping a sense of humour and just getting on with things even though it was difficult at times, you were all fab.

Thanks also to the ES marshals in the pitlane, the willingness to pitch in and help out with the non es tasks made a big difference and it's nice to have such a good level of teamwork and cooperation between us all.

We're putting together some thoughts for things we need to address for next year so if you have any feedback please pm me within the next few days.

Thanks, Anita
Old 12 Jul 2011, 10:10 (Ref:2925473)   #422
Jayne Poston
Rookie

United Kingdom
Jayne Poston should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would just like to say a huge THANK YOU to the team running the Pit Lane - I had a fabulous weekend - yes it was wet ..... yes the hours were long .... yes the facilities were pretty dire (only one toilet for the pit crew to use and no cafe/restaurant) but none of these things really mattered when the atmosphere and excitment took over.

The campsite was busy and rather muddy and a nightmare to get off but once security had sorted that out it was a pretty straightforward run home.

I hope to see you all there again next year

Old 12 Jul 2011, 10:15 (Ref:2925476)   #423
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As is customary, a big thanks to the Luffield Centre team, and a special mention to the Luffield In team who welcomed me half way through the main event (after picking up the endplate from Maldanado's car)

1st GP for me, and I think I may go again. Yes, quite a bit of not-a-lot happening and some messing around with demo laps, but not nearly as much as others here have suggested - I might well have been lucky, but must give it another go to find out.

The hardest part now is to watch all the TV coverage to see if I can see myself. I have spotted me with 17:31 left in Q1 as the cable-camera flies over the top.
Old 12 Jul 2011, 11:48 (Ref:2925519)   #424
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Poole, Dorset (Scouser in exile!)
Mike Kelly 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hepatic View Post
special thanks to Paul, Glyn & Mike for feeding us too. its always great to get everyone together like that and it makes surviving the weekend just that little bit easier.
No problem's Steve. Its something that Paul started back in the late 90's on the old campsite and its just grown from cooking for 6 people to this years 29 people. We did one year cook for around 36 people but that was a bit too much. The "Curry Club" is one way of getting a bunch of the Oulton marshals and family together and saving a bit of money on the evening meal food bill. This year the bill for the BBQ and the curry was a massive £4 (£2 per night)!!!!! You couldn't even get a burger for that price on the circuit.

Yes the racing was poor and if i was a speccy paying £100 on the Sunday for 4 races then i would have felt short changed. The weather was dire, mud in abundance on the campsite, traffic flow off the campsite after the GP was non existant but i did finally get out of the circuit at 6.01pm.

Will i do the GP next year? Yes, but only because of the laughs with fellow marshals, family and friends.

Mike Kelly - Patron saint of public houses!
Old 12 Jul 2011, 12:09 (Ref:2925528)   #425
NICK ALLISON
Racer

England
london
NICK ALLISON should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by snetterton madness View Post
A big thank you to everyone along Woodcote pit wall and the pit marshalls for making it an enjoyable weekend.
Support Pits was spot on,cracking team work from both the Pit Marshals and Incident team.Good liaison with Paddock and Assembly and we ALL made it work.
Thank you boys and girls it was a pleasure.