Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 28 Feb 2005, 23:01 (Ref:1238486)   #426
formule3000
Rookie

France
France
formule3000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mathias Lauda
Old 28 Feb 2005, 23:12 (Ref:1238497)   #427
skyblue
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxford
skyblue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah great, another rich F1 son, no wonder Kavanagh or Elton's dude didn't get it. It looks like Carroll (if he gets the drive over another nepotistic appointee) will be the only driver I'll be supporting. God this sport is starting to get me down.
Old 28 Feb 2005, 23:22 (Ref:1238504)   #428
Kidzer
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Kidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whats up with the other quick drivers in it skyblue?
Or is carroll a long time support job?
Old 28 Feb 2005, 23:41 (Ref:1238513)   #429
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by formule3000
Mathias Lauda
I'm disappointed with this too (assuming it's confirmed - so far I've only seen an italiaracing.net report). At least Piquet and Rosberg have shown they have the talent to deserve a shot at this level, despite their privileged positions. Lauda was thrust into F3000 with minimal racing experience, and it showed that he wasn't ready.
Old 28 Feb 2005, 23:49 (Ref:1238516)   #430
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
On the other hand having three sons-of-F1-champions should be good PR for the series.
Old 1 Mar 2005, 00:04 (Ref:1238525)   #431
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Lauda's credentials are somewhat better than Sarah Kavanagh's, I believe.

Regardless of what their talent level may be.
Old 1 Mar 2005, 02:41 (Ref:1238603)   #432
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Lauda's credentials are somewhat better than Sarah Kavanagh's, I believe.

Regardless of what their talent level may be.
Agreed 100%. I would have much rather seen the seat go to Pantano or Toccacelo though.

Last edited by jondownunder; 1 Mar 2005 at 02:41.
Old 1 Mar 2005, 03:13 (Ref:1238610)   #433
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
Mr Jinxx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd rather have seen it go to Alex, but I'm biased and not wealthy enough!!
Sit in a chair, lift your right leg off the ground, point your toes forward and draw CLOCKWISE circles in the air with your foot. Then raise your right hand and draw the number 6 in the air with your index finger. Your foot will change direction. If you can't even do this simple coordination task, how could you drive a racing car?
Old 1 Mar 2005, 11:02 (Ref:1238870)   #434
skyblue
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxford
I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with Lauda's etc talent levels!! I'm just disappointed that it's only quick guys with MONEY that are racing in GP2. I agree it'll be good for the championship but it's very financially exclusive and all the F1 sons will undermine it to the fans watching on TV.

Here's Piquets son, followed by Rosbergs son, who's being caught by Lauda's son. What's that going to look like???

Anyone who's had to work for their seat with sponsor graft and money raising grief gets my support, I dislike 100% bought careers intensely.

Last edited by skyblue; 1 Mar 2005 at 11:03.
Old 1 Mar 2005, 11:11 (Ref:1238882)   #435
skyblue
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxford
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidzer
Whats up with the other quick drivers in it skyblue?
Or is carroll a long time support job?
No, don't even know him, but I know that he's struggled for cash, he's quick and works extremely hard to stay on the track. He's not in a position to buy whatever he wants, he has to beg, borrow and steal to race.

Anyone with that level of comittment gets my support.
Old 1 Mar 2005, 11:24 (Ref:1238898)   #436
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Gaz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To be fair the GP2 grid looks superb skyblue. In the past I've taken little notice of F3000 because the majority of the grid was full of either no hopers or drivers who have been very average in their careers upto then. Each year there was only 3-4 drivers and maybe only 1-2 last year worthy of note.

This GP2 grid is full of potential stars and drivers who have done alot further down the ladder an I'm very excited in anticipation.

Have to say Lauda would go against what I've said above though as he's living off his name rather than any talent. Would much prefer to see it go to a young gun such as Alex Lloyd. But if you havn't got the money then you can't go racing I'm afraid.
Old 1 Mar 2005, 11:31 (Ref:1238904)   #437
skyblue
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxford
Which is exactly what I'm saying. I could probably name 10 guys who I'd like to see in that seat, including Alex, above another 'consortium' or 'famous dad' or 'politically connected' driver.
Old 1 Mar 2005, 11:34 (Ref:1238909)   #438
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
It's the way it is though I'm afraid. Everybody jumps on this Alex Lloyd bandwagon, can I just ask why he wasn't selected for the BAR Driver Development Programme when several other drivers in similar positions such as Adam Carroll were?
Old 1 Mar 2005, 11:44 (Ref:1238926)   #439
skyblue
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxford
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz
It's the way it is though I'm afraid.
Yes, but it doesn't mean that one has to like it and join in the brown-nosing of all these rich and connected drivers.
Old 1 Mar 2005, 11:48 (Ref:1238930)   #440
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
I don't brown nose any drivers mate, certainly ones I feel aren't good enough, just read through my last 1,146 posts to believe that or ask one-two round here!

Still I'd like the latter part of my original post answering, and certainly that has a link to brown-nosing especially on here. Lloyd was mentioned when the BAR test thing originally came out, did he go to the evaluation sessions? I can't remember? But still I'd say there was no favouritism in the decisions to choose the 3 drivers and its given Adam Carroll's career a lifeline...I mean he would never have even been contemplating a GP2 seat without it...
Old 1 Mar 2005, 11:53 (Ref:1238934)   #441
DanFlag
Veteran

Canada
Montréal, Québec, Canada
DanFlag should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDanFlag should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's now official:
Coloni Motorsport confirm Mathias Lauda
http://formulagp2.flagworld.com/en/n...py?artid=36883
Old 1 Mar 2005, 12:11 (Ref:1238950)   #442
skyblue
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxford
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz
I don't brown nose any drivers mate
I'm not suggestign that you do, only that in general as racing fans we're expected to support, like and respect these guys and I actually just don't.

Quote:
Still I'd like the latter part of my original post answering
I can't do that because I have only mentioned Alex once ever, and that was in relpy to your post. I don't know enough about him to form an intelligent opinion.
Old 1 Mar 2005, 12:37 (Ref:1238975)   #443
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Adam Carroll had the money to pay for several years of Formula Ford and Formula 3, and one can assume the Super Nova test; he's hardly standing in line for government cheese.
Old 1 Mar 2005, 13:00 (Ref:1238994)   #444
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
Mr Jinxx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gaz is right, obviously - if you don't have money, you can't go racing. So a driver like Alex, who doesn't have money, has to sell his car to do a test, and do whatever it takes to get money/support/backing. That's the way of it, you're dead right. And hopefully, the more you keep bashing away, eventually you get through, given ability and the breaks (and the brakes)

As to the BAR thing, I think that was just the BF3 boys, for some reason. It went to Piquet, Carroll and Rossiter (1,2,3 this year) ... Piquet turned it down, so the next one up was last years BF3 winner, Van de Merve. I don't think it was any more scientific than that, which is a shame in some ways, but no-one said life was supposed to be fair, Manuel, or else things like this wouldn't happen ... <whack>
Sit in a chair, lift your right leg off the ground, point your toes forward and draw CLOCKWISE circles in the air with your foot. Then raise your right hand and draw the number 6 in the air with your index finger. Your foot will change direction. If you can't even do this simple coordination task, how could you drive a racing car?
Old 1 Mar 2005, 13:53 (Ref:1239041)   #445
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Honda's Otmar Szafnauer is a keen follower of junior racing and he likes Piquet, Carroll, Rossiter, and even mentioned Rosberg. He also highly, highly rates (unsurprisingly) Fisichella and Felipe Massa.
Old 1 Mar 2005, 15:11 (Ref:1239111)   #446
O'Schumacher
Racer

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire, England
O'Schumacher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So Lauda's signed for Coloni. Oh great!!! He joins Can Artam as yet another guy who's just got no talent whatsoever. Let me put it straight, it's not the idea of them getting the drives that annoys me. It's the fact that there are quick guys out there who are missing out because of it.

It looks as if its Pantano whose missed out on the coloni seat, but if he didnt win the title with them this year, his single seater career would be over anyway. Maybe he should start looking for a drive in Touring Cars or GTs for now, whilst still working to get to Champcar or IRL.
Old 4 Mar 2005, 09:44 (Ref:1242131)   #447
Zurich
Rookie

Switzerland
Zurich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblue
I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with Lauda's etc talent levels!! I'm just disappointed that it's only quick guys with MONEY that are racing in GP2. I agree it'll be good for the championship but it's very financially exclusive and all the F1 sons will undermine it to the fans watching on TV.

Here's Piquets son, followed by Rosbergs son, who's being caught by Lauda's son. What's that going to look like???
It won't be an issue if it's "Here's Lauda's son following Rosberg's son, following Piquet's son, all 20 seconds behind Carroll and Kovalainen"
Old 4 Mar 2005, 09:45 (Ref:1242135)   #448
skyblue
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxford
LOL, I really hope so!!
Old 4 Mar 2005, 09:57 (Ref:1242157)   #449
toot toot
Racer

toot toot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurich
It won't be an issue if it's "Here's Lauda's son following Rosberg's son, following Piquet's son, all 20 seconds behind Carroll and Kovalainen"
Are you implying Carroll's going to be able to keep up with Kovalainen?
Old 4 Mar 2005, 15:31 (Ref:1242408)   #450
Zurich
Rookie

Switzerland
Zurich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by toot toot
Are you implying Carroll's going to be able to keep up with Kovalainen?
Probably not straight away. Heikki has taken half a season to find his way in F3 and Nissan before performing to the best of his ability, but after the season he had in 2004 I'm expecting him to hit the ground running in 05.

It's a much bigger step for the F3 graduates. Although I still beleive Carroll is at least as quick as Piquet, so I'm expecting to see both right up there once they've got the hang of it.

I think it would take a brave man to bet against Kovalainen for the title, at this stage anyway.

Last edited by Zurich; 4 Mar 2005 at 15:33.