Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Mar 2011, 08:55 (Ref:2854009)   #26
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Right I'm not reading the whole thread , so here's my view after round 1 on the DRS:

Very happy with it. There was a concern it would just be a 'push to pass' button, but in this race it didn't really work like that. I see it working as a way of leveling the playing field, the turbulent air being cancelled out. It gives the following driver a chance to get into the slipstream rather than just driving past. We saw the system deployed a significant number of times but only a few overtakes, and I don't think any of the passes we saw where the DRS contributed were 'cheap'. The skill involved to get to that position and make the pass stick was still there.

Also, it's not just making one overtaking zone. Vettel commented in the press conference how the DRS helped him close on Button on the pit straight, which then meant he was close enough to challenge into 3. Overall I think it worked very well and is an excellent addition to the sport. I hope it works similarly on every track.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 08:57 (Ref:2854011)   #27
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The DRS was rather dumbed down here though due to it being used on the piddly Melbourne straight.

At somewhere like Barcelona it is going to be a free pass.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 09:01 (Ref:2854016)   #28
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
The DRS was rather dumbed down here though due to it being used on the piddly Melbourne straight.

Well that depends on where they allow it to be activated. Sure if they get the whole pit straight its a free pass, but if it cuts in halfway down or something it should have a similar...how should I put this... 'stimulating' effect on the racing without destroying it.

So basically, the success of this system will depend on how sensible the FIA are!
Old 27 Mar 2011, 10:22 (Ref:2854070)   #29
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
We still saw cars struggling to pass the car in front dispite using the DRS so i have nothing against it.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 12:09 (Ref:2854130)   #30
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
At Barcelona it's a struggle to stay on an opponent's tail through the final turns. There are fears that drivers might not get close enough to activate the DRS on the pit straight.

Personally, I was quite happy with the DRS today. It gave the following driver enough benefit to cancel out the dirty air of the car in-front, without making it a farcical free-for-all.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 12:41 (Ref:2854149)   #31
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It doesn't seem to make much difference to the racing. Admittedly Australia isn't an easy place to pass on. I tend to agree that in Spain it won't help overtaking.

The racing was close, but sadly not many overtakes. We seem to have replaced fuel stops with tyre stops now. Although Perez seem to handle the new tyres well.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 13:26 (Ref:2854178)   #32
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
An unimpressive gimmick. My stomach lurched slightly when the caption said 'lap 2: DRS on' or whatever it was. If it made a difference at all it wasn't justified.

Just yet another glossy graphic for the commentators to fill their time talking about.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 13:29 (Ref:2854182)   #33
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Quote:
It doesn't seem to make much difference to the racing
Well we'll never know for sure if that's true. But I think we saw 3 or 4 passes today that probably wouldn't have been possible without this system in place, and it didn't remove the skill required to overtake. I think on the whole the effect was largely beneficial.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 17:26 (Ref:2854312)   #34
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
A decent debut for the device. It probably did help with a few moves, but didn't help too much. As with the tyres, considering what it was asked to do, it was a decent first effort.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 18:10 (Ref:2854351)   #35
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Sometimes the DRS helped and sometimes it didn't. It wasn't guaranteeing an overtake. The driver still had to make it work.

As for the tyres - don't know what all the fuss is about. Maybe Sepang will be a bit more of a challenge for them ?
Old 27 Mar 2011, 18:32 (Ref:2854374)   #36
Chiefy
Veteran

Germany
Cottbus, Germany.
Chiefy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
David Coulthard is right when he says it's just another piece of equipment at the drivers' disposal - so they're obliged to get on with using it as well as they can. But Niki Lauda really hit the nail on the head when he said that at least with turbo boosts they could use it when they wanted to, and not when the FIA said they were permitted to.

The idea of confining the boost to one straight bewilders me. In Australia it allowed drivers to consider making that all-important move into T1, elsewhere it will be easier for drivers to pass using it. But better still would be to let the drivers use it when they want it, as in qualifying. Adrian Sutil might drop it off the exit of a corner again, but someone else might really make it work and spring a surprise.

Although it's 'artificial overtaking' it is still the great F1 fusion of man and machine, with the driver having to be able to operate the gadgetry before it does anything for him.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 20:27 (Ref:2854471)   #37
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
As for the tyres - don't know what all the fuss is about. Maybe Sepang will be a bit more of a challenge for them ?

There is no fuss is there?
Old 27 Mar 2011, 22:34 (Ref:2854538)   #38
Burp
Racer

United Kingdom
Gloucestershire
Burp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought it worked well. Wasnt a sure thing pass device. Needed some skill to use it right. Did anyone else see Massa using kers to defend against Buttons wing. then a lap later Button had kept some of his kers and used them both together. Still didnt pass but it was a good scrap. Certainly better than watching them line astearn for lap after lap.

Let them use it anywhere during the race but have a limited amount of times they can use it.

In quali its great imo. Another tool for the driver to use to get the best out of the car. Brings another element of skill into it. Is it any different to TGF changing his brake balance every 200 metres? and they can get it wrong (Sutil)

All in all not a bad debut, will need some proper thinking about on Tilke length straights tho or the car in front will be a sitting duck
Old 27 Mar 2011, 23:52 (Ref:2854587)   #39
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Exceeded my expectations, thoroughly enjoyed the Button Massa dice while it was on. One of the best we've seen for a long time, and protracted attempts, not one desperate Dan lunge and then nothing. Good dice!
Old 28 Mar 2011, 09:40 (Ref:2854742)   #40
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox89 View Post
So basically, the success of this system will depend on how sensible the FIA are!
That's a bit worrying, then.

If anything, I would have liked the system to be slightly more effective than it turned out to be in Oz. However, it's better to err on the "less" side rather than "more". If it negates the effect of dirty air in the preceding corner, then it's doing a good job. And I think it's a good idea to have the decision point line a couple of corners before the straight, so that dirty air in the last corner doesn't break the 1 second gap.

It would have been nice to see the system available in one or two other places around the lap though.
Old 28 Mar 2011, 11:35 (Ref:2854795)   #41
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The FIA will be taking another look at it after China since its was deemed largely ineffective by Charlie Whiting among others.

http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/story/44466.html
Old 1 Apr 2011, 10:51 (Ref:2856749)   #42
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
IDS ?! KERSD ?!

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpa...s_art_id=43227

Or maybe it's because today is..........
Old 1 Apr 2011, 10:56 (Ref:2856752)   #43
Wims
Veteran

Norway
Wims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
IDS ?! KERSD ?!

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpa...s_art_id=43227

Or maybe it's because today is..........
I'm just assuming that everything I read today is a lie.
Old 1 Apr 2011, 10:59 (Ref:2856754)   #44
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wims View Post
I'm just assuming that everything I read today is a lie.
Yeah! That speeding fine notice I just got through the post is just too funny!

Last edited by Marbot; 1 Apr 2011 at 11:11.
Old 1 Apr 2011, 12:47 (Ref:2856809)   #45
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was none to impressed by DRS it seems to be a gimmi k and if it fails? Who is to blame? And what can it look like at monza?
Old 1 Apr 2011, 13:10 (Ref:2856822)   #46
Simonfield
Rookie

England
Haverhill, Suffolk, UK
Simonfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
just out interest, it seems some teams DRS opens a larger gap than other teams. Or thats the way it looks to me at least, are there rules governing the size of the gap allowed?

Or am i just imagining things?
Old 1 Apr 2011, 13:39 (Ref:2856839)   #47
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Are you sure it isn't an optical illusion caused by differing wing designs? One assumes the size of the slot must be uniform, or else he with the bigger slot would gain a bigger advantage.

Over to someone who knows their technical stuff...
Old 2 Apr 2011, 03:15 (Ref:2857165)   #48
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
The maximum gap allowed is 50mm, which is why the curvature of the rear element that Sauber violated is allowed to be a minimum of 100mm, the teams seek to make this curve as tight as possible, because the narrower chord of this flap is the greater the amount of the drag that is shed when it is tipped up to the 50mm gap. Think of tilting a ruler 50mm length wise and then 50mm across the width.