Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 24 Nov 2006, 20:48 (Ref:1774323)   #26
Andrew Fellowes
Veteran

Australia
Tamborine Mountain, Qld. Australia
Andrew Fellowes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope not, my suggestion would be biannual. I think otherwise it dissolves too quickly into just another event!

I think the Mille Miglia retro has done this, look at the quality of entries over the last few years and its not the same, (maybe I am a grumpy old man!)

My guess is the work load for Ed and his crew has been enormous, next time at least they will have a template to follow!
Old 25 Nov 2006, 08:26 (Ref:1774569)   #27
flightlessbird
Rookie

flightlessbird should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Where are the F5000'S
Old 26 Nov 2006, 04:54 (Ref:1775053)   #28
edholly
Rookie

Australia
sydney
edholly should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In another era from the one you will see on Sunday

however Friday and Saturday are a normal Historic meet....
Old 29 Nov 2006, 09:40 (Ref:1777568)   #29
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh pooh!

Heard today that 12 euro cars may be stuck on a ship at sea
Old 29 Nov 2006, 10:15 (Ref:1777602)   #30
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That wouldn't be for the first time this year, either!
Old 3 Dec 2006, 21:37 (Ref:1781177)   #31
Dazz
Veteran

Dazz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone have the results from the last Group N race on Sunday. Natsoft seems to be missing some races from the Sunday program???
Old 4 Dec 2006, 05:42 (Ref:1781311)   #32
Andrew Fellowes
Veteran

Australia
The largest fields of single seaters that I have ever seen, just fantastic so I'll start with the committee chairman, the guy who had the idea in the first place,

Ed, here with his BT6,

What a 3 days that was! I'll dig out some more photos later.
Old 4 Dec 2006, 06:01 (Ref:1781321)   #33
Andrew Fellowes
Veteran

Australia
1968 Lotus 49 John Smith

1969 Elfin 600B Bob Cracknell
Old 4 Dec 2006, 06:43 (Ref:1781338)   #34
Andrew Fellowes
Veteran

Australia
Now for some of the faces, then back to the cars later,

Frank Gardner

Graham Lawrence

Charlie Smith

Fred Gibson

Bob Britton

Roly Levis

Frank Matich

Leo Geoghegan

Last edited by Andrew Fellowes; 4 Dec 2006 at 06:46.
Old 4 Dec 2006, 08:48 (Ref:1781426)   #35
edholly
Rookie

Australia
sydney
edholly should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Andrew,

You forgot to mention that there were another 12 guys on the committee that worked for over 18 months to make this event happen, and many helpers supporting them as well.

Re the photos, I am in fact standing beside my BT15, not the BT6, it was in the carport adjacent....the photo captioned Graham Lawrence is I believe Dennis Marwood, and I am not entirely sure Fred Gibson is in fact in the Morgan carrying his name, maybe someone can confirm.

The BT15 was there to run in the demonstrations, which it did, and ended up being used by Roger Newman from the UK in the qualifying session. He was to run in the Sat arvo race, but withdrew from the dummy grid when the thunder and lightning gave way to heavy rain.

There were a few changes to the "Tasman Originals" after we made the signs, and you seem to have captured a couple of those ... but great that you did.... this meeting was as much about bringing period participants together as it was about anything else.

Ed
Old 4 Dec 2006, 11:58 (Ref:1781597)   #36
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Phred

Quote:
Originally Posted by edholly
Andrew,

You forgot to mention that there were another 12 guys on the committee that worked for over 18 months to make this event happen, and many helpers supporting them as well.

Re the photos, I am in fact standing beside my BT15, not the BT6, it was in the carport adjacent....the photo captioned Graham Lawrence is I believe Dennis Marwood, and I am not entirely sure Fred Gibson is in fact in the Morgan carrying his name, maybe someone can confirm.

The BT15 was there to run in the demonstrations, which it did, and ended up being used by Roger Newman from the UK in the qualifying session. He was to run in the Sat arvo race, but withdrew from the dummy grid when the thunder and lightning gave way to heavy rain.

There were a few changes to the "Tasman Originals" after we made the signs, and you seem to have captured a couple of those ... but great that you did.... this meeting was as much about bringing period participants together as it was about anything else.

Ed
Ed...the nose and jaw line sure look like Fred Gibson to me..

Great meeting...weather did not cooperate at all, 40 degrees on Friday and quite cold and rainey on Sunday...Saturday somewhere in between. Slippery race track is not conducive to a spirited demo of expensive race cars.

The fields of cars were however something to behold...although the "boat people" being missing in the open wheelers was sad.

I don't have anything like Goodwood to compare with but the meeting certainly captured some of the sparkle that was the Tasman Series. Best of all, acknowledging some of our hero's...about bloody time

On a personal note...it was not pleasant out there trackside, but I did have a very pleasant chat with Ed McDonagh who visited the Flag Point and got some waves from some of the people I admired in those days like Spencer Martin.

I hope the next one is bigger and better
Old 4 Dec 2006, 14:14 (Ref:1781695)   #37
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Excellent, guys; more please!
Old 4 Dec 2006, 21:29 (Ref:1781996)   #38
Andrew Fellowes
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by edholly
Re the photos, I am in fact standing beside my BT15, not the BT6, it was in the carport adjacent....the photo captioned Graham Lawrence is I believe Dennis Marwood, and I am not entirely sure Fred Gibson is in fact in the Morgan carrying his name, Ed
looks like I fell in a heffalump trap there. Saturday evening was very enjoyable, nice to see the whole committee brought up and thanked, it still needs a chairman though!
Now I am in confession mode, I was talking to one of those drivers prior to the parade, unaware of who I was talking to, I am now desperately trying to recall if I put one or both feet in mouth.

How about these two for grids,

Last edited by Andrew Fellowes; 4 Dec 2006 at 21:34.
Old 4 Dec 2006, 22:12 (Ref:1782021)   #39
Andrew Fellowes
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
Excellent, guys; more please!
John now I know what you go through posting after a meeting, yeow, it takes time!

Our Bryan in his red romper suit standing by Phil Harris' BT23C

What it was all about,
Old 5 Dec 2006, 02:08 (Ref:1782138)   #40
Andrew Fellowes
Veteran

Australia
In the 60's in England I always wanted Frank Gardner to win because there would be a good story afterwards over he pa. He never let the facts get in the way either, Saturday evening the HSRCA had the annual prize giving, Frank was on sparkling form, one that I hadn't heard and it is worth repeating if you haven't heard it before,

Frank answers the phone,

“Rico Steinemann, Frank will you drive the 917 for us at the Nurbergring?”

“But that’s this weekend, only 3 days away!”

“Yes”

“What about Brian Redman, why don’t you ask him?

“Ya, but he is in Cologne Hospital”

“Well, what about Vic Elford?”

“Er, …. ya… but he too is in Cologne Hospital”

“Jo Siffert?

“Mmm, he is in Bern Hospital”
Old 5 Dec 2006, 03:16 (Ref:1782156)   #41
johnny yuma
Veteran

johnny yuma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great array of cars and drivers,well organised program of events[even if the printed program was a little complicated ]

Apart from the mainstream attractions I loved the 6.7 litre Buick Special"old yeller" with its whitewall tyres,Morris Minor front torsion bars and 6 Carter carbs.Eddie the driver from USA commented on the hand hammered,dimpled panels---We call it the golf ball,the dimples increase the speed...

Scott Bargwanna drove his XU1 the way Stubber drives the Camaro-is he the first XU1 UNDER 1:50?

Shame the organisers didn't let everyone in to park around the fences and go through the pits.Eastern Creek can be inhospitable if you are too far from your car,and the track looked very devoid of spectators except near the pits.

The Phillip Island historics on early March 2007 are a better look.
Old 5 Dec 2006, 10:27 (Ref:1782358)   #42
Torston
Rookie

Australia
Sydney
Torston should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sadly the government owned, ARDC run circuit does not allow car parking at the fences like the good old days at Mt Druitt. However, unlike Phillip Island, the public is allowed into the pits. All you needed to do was walk in. It was packed with people.
Old 5 Dec 2006, 11:43 (Ref:1782434)   #43
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
Ernie Nagamatsu - Old Yeller II

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny yuma
I loved the 6.7 litre Buick Special"old yeller" with its whitewall tyres,Morris Minor front torsion bars and 6 Carter carbs.Eddie the driver from USA commented on the hand hammered,dimpled panels---We call it the golf ball,the dimples increase the speed...
Old 5 Dec 2006, 11:46 (Ref:1782440)   #44
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
Mildren Brabham-Alfa

Old 5 Dec 2006, 15:59 (Ref:1782615)   #45
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Fellowes
John now I know what you go through posting after a meeting, yeow, it takes time!
Yes, you have to do it, to know it. Incredibly time consuming, but rewarding, too! Great to see the pics Andrew and 275GTB-4.

Love the Frank Gardner story, and delighted to learn that he was fit enough not only to attend but to speak publicly.
Old 5 Dec 2006, 23:31 (Ref:1782899)   #46
johnny yuma
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torston
Sadly the government owned, ARDC run circuit does not allow car parking at the fences like the good old days at Mt Druitt. However, unlike Phillip Island, the public is allowed into the pits. All you needed to do was walk in. It was packed with people.
Fortunately[for me] I'm an ARDC member so I drove in the back gate and spent hours in the pits.However hundreds of vehicles are parked on the grassy carpark inside the circuit,or anywhere else with a vehicle track you may fancy,but only if you are a an entrant or member.For other meetings the back gate is the ONLY way in and the General Public pays there then goes anywhere.This includes HSRCA Historic meetings,State rounds etc.

Perhaps someone expected a Massive crowd.At Phillip Island,Oran Park,even
Mt Panorama you're not sent on a 5 kilometre hike in all weather carrying all your supplies through a shade-free savanna.Good way not to make people return.

Yes I know I should complain to my club-and I will.
Old 6 Dec 2006, 00:12 (Ref:1782923)   #47
johnny yuma
Veteran

By the way the Phillip Island historics in Feb/March attract more people than the Tasman Revival did and they DO allow all into the inner areas and the pits.
You don't have to carry your food,drink,jacket,camera,program all the way to Siberia.
Old 6 Dec 2006, 10:01 (Ref:1783157)   #48
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
Super Mario Car

Old 6 Dec 2006, 10:03 (Ref:1783160)   #49
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
Somehow, "pretty" just seems so right...

Old 8 Dec 2006, 05:04 (Ref:1784778)   #50
Torston
Rookie

Australia
Sydney
Torston should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just to show there was a lot more going on at the Tasman Revival Meeting than just the Tasman cars. It was actually a Tasman ERA meeting.

Here's Sir John Whitmore at 7500 half way round Turn 1