Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 May 2008, 10:48 (Ref:2213816)   #26
BeeJ
Racer

England
Coventry UK
BeeJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a marshal I prefer the cars to be bunched together whilst dealing with an incident. As said before in the thread having to keep stopping sorting out the incident whilst another car comes around at slow speed, clean up a bit more then stop again is not the best way of sorting things out.
Old 28 May 2008, 10:57 (Ref:2213823)   #27
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeJ
As a marshal I prefer the cars to be bunched together whilst dealing with an incident. As said before in the thread having to keep stopping sorting out the incident whilst another car comes around at slow speed, clean up a bit more then stop again is not the best way of sorting things out.
I agree and always thought that was the idea and desired result of deploying a safety car.....but, to be fair I wouldn't want Charlie Whiting's job -even for what he's probably paid! .
Old 28 May 2008, 12:04 (Ref:2213860)   #28
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf's Girl
I don't remember there being many pile-ups on the restart before the 'lapped cars overtaking' rule was introduced. I'm just not sure that this is the best way to deal with the problem, if indeed there really is a problem.
I'm not saying there were. Only that restarting on colder tires isn't really different to letting a car unlap itself - only more dangerous because the cars are actually racing. If there weren't many incidents during restarts, I don't see why the current procedure would be dangerous.
Old 28 May 2008, 12:16 (Ref:2213867)   #29
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
I just think it's strange, coupled with the 'no pitting under the safety car' rule - I don't recall there ever being any major problems with cars pitting as soon as the safety car came out either. But then that's the FIA for you...why leave the rules as they are when you can mess with them and confuse everybody?
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 28 May 2008, 12:24 (Ref:2213870)   #30
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
I don't recall there ever being any major problems with cars pitting as soon as the safety car came out either.
Looking back to Alonso's accident in Brazil I think that it is certainly necessary to slow the cars to a safe speed regardless of where they are in relation to an accident.
Old 28 May 2008, 13:55 (Ref:2213926)   #31
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Yes, they need to be slowed down for obvious reasons, but did they ever zoom round at racing speed (under, one would assume, waved yellow flags) to get to the pitlane? Because the rule about no pitting under the safety car seems to assume that that's what would happen, but I didn't think it had ever really been an issue.

Anyway, that's not actually what this thread is about. I just think the rules on what you can and can't do while the safety car is out are pretty inconsistent - but like I said, that's the FIA.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 28 May 2008, 13:56 (Ref:2213927)   #32
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Run the lapped cars thru the pits so they emerge at the back of the queue. Credit them a lap if you want to, or, leave them the lap down because they don't deserve to get it back for free
Old 28 May 2008, 13:58 (Ref:2213929)   #33
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bludvl_x19
If they went to a 'C60', the cars would be limited to 100km/h, at which point
I believe that the tyres would cool down, and the cars would start to overheat.
Well, in that case the teams should find a solution. In 2006 and 2007 teams seemed to have no problem with overheating engines and cold tyres despite having their drivers waiting at the end of the pit lane for Q3.
Old 28 May 2008, 14:48 (Ref:2213965)   #34
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle
Run the lapped cars thru the pits so they emerge at the back of the queue. Credit them a lap if you want to, or, leave them the lap down because they don't deserve to get it back for free
Definitely the best idea I have heard for getting the lapped cars out of the way. Have them peel off an hold at the end of pitlane until the last lead lap car has cleared pit out, then they can blend in with any cars laps down on the track. Should be done on last lap before SC comes in.
Old 28 May 2008, 21:20 (Ref:2214207)   #35
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle
Am i being thick here, but if you make the lapped cars go through the pitlane to allow the lead laps past (on the track), wouldn't that then put the lapped cars 2 laps down?
Old 28 May 2008, 21:57 (Ref:2214238)   #36
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V
Am i being thick here, but if you make the lapped cars go through the pitlane to allow the lead laps past (on the track), wouldn't that then put the lapped cars 2 laps down?
What I think is intended is to get all the cars in the correct running order behind the SC.

Bring all lapped cars into the pits, then once the leaders go through, release them onto the back of the procession in order.

That way, all cars would be in order, no cars would need to chase the back of the pack, and on the restart all cars would be fighting for position, 100% committed, with no need for blue flags.

It all sounds too perfect so we know it won't happen.
Old 28 May 2008, 22:52 (Ref:2214269)   #37
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How long would they have to wait in the pits? Can't be too long because it would cause overheating/tire temp problems.
Old 29 May 2008, 07:12 (Ref:2214415)   #38
Bleu
Veteran

Finland
Espoo, Finland
Bleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yes, they need to be slowed down for obvious reasons, but did they ever zoom round at racing speed (under, one would assume, waved yellow flags) to get to the pitlane? Because the rule about no pitting under the safety car seems to assume that that's what would happen, but I didn't think it had ever really been an issue.
Michael Schumacher had fastest laps of those which included pit stops during 2004 US and 2005 Canadian Grand Prix's, which were set while the SC was deployed. In first, it was Ralf's crash on oval and in second, Button's crash into wall of champions.
Old 29 May 2008, 07:44 (Ref:2214439)   #39
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I don't like the 'lapped cars may now overtake' rule simply because it's inconsistent - you can't pit under the safety car because they don't want drivers passing accident scenes at racing speed to dive into the pits, but you can bomb round the track after passing the safety car to join up to the back of the pack? The logic of that must have passed me by.
Of course, though, it was really done as a way to squish the field up as much as possible, both in terms of time and on-track action, in the interests of "the show".

I remain to be convinced it was in anyway "safety" related.
Old 29 May 2008, 08:46 (Ref:2214464)   #40
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Well, yes, as far as I can tell what they actually want to do is get the backmarkers out of the way to allow the leaders to race each other - the obvious flaw in that plan being that the leaders will very rarely try to pass each other immediately after a safety car when their brakes/tyres aren't at optimum temperature. I can't recall anybody overtaking as soon as the safety car has gone in the pits in any recent races.
Old 29 May 2008, 13:32 (Ref:2214639)   #41
Bleu
Veteran

Finland
Espoo, Finland
Bleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Melbourne 2006 was the race which probably caused the rule change regarding lapped cars. One of the Midland drivers (don't remember whether it was Albers or Monteiro) was clearly sleeping and Alonso got about 3-second-gap over 2nd place driver. As you can't pass before the finish line, rest of the drivers were behind that Midland until the finish line.
Old 29 May 2008, 13:45 (Ref:2214644)   #42
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V
No, they are already behind the leader or they wouldn't be a lapped car would they. All it means is they remain a lap down instead of getting their lap back.

Where it may be unfair is it doesn't allow what may have been a scrap between a couple of backmarkers for position to continue if the safety car came out when one had been lapped and not the other. That would be a case for the crediting of a lap even though they didn't repass the leader.

Last edited by sizzle; 29 May 2008 at 13:50.
Old 31 May 2008, 09:24 (Ref:2215797)   #43
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Maybe the current use of blue flags needs to be looked at as well. Overtaking backmarkers is a skill in itself, and the top drivers probably have it too easy with drivers getting out of their way. I'd rather see blue flags used more sparingly - perhaps just to alert backmarkers of the position of a leader, rather than forcing them to move over.
Old 31 May 2008, 10:55 (Ref:2215840)   #44
Rick
Veteran

Madagascar
Fantasyland
Rick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
at the time I was wondering if they were trying to time it so Kova could belt around on a quick lap and heat up his tyres, just in time for the restart with those ahead struggling on cold tyres.

Didn't happen but.
Old 31 May 2008, 13:36 (Ref:2215924)   #45
Bleu
Veteran

Finland
Espoo, Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
Maybe the current use of blue flags needs to be looked at as well. Overtaking backmarkers is a skill in itself, and the top drivers probably have it too easy with drivers getting out of their way. I'd rather see blue flags used more sparingly - perhaps just to alert backmarkers of the position of a leader, rather than forcing them to move over.
That's what I think too. But worse thing here is that if for example Hamilton (or any top driver) suffers puncture on the first lap, and then pits for new one. While he returns to track he comes just ahead of race leaders. Not only Hamilton needs to let leaders by, but basically he needs to let everyone to overtake, even cars like Red Bull and Renault which are surely slower than McLaren. Kovalainen mentioned that last year when he suffered that kind of situation in Interlagos.
Old 1 Jun 2008, 02:30 (Ref:2216242)   #46
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Well, he would likely be traveling faster than the likes of a Red Bull, so that would not come into play. In terms of the other "top guys", provided the driver in question is not holding up the the other "top guys" then the blues are not waved.

At least, this is how it has seemed to work in the past.

However, I do think F1 should get in-line with most other motorsport where the blues are a warning system rather than a strictly mandated order.